• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
Really out of all clubs that wanted him (City, United and Juventus) only Juventus really needed him as they need a good striker. Both City and United are packed with good strikers, especially City. But when you have a striker of RVP's quality and he actually wants to come to your club, it's kinda hard to refuse.

Having van Persie here will certainly not hurt the club and will help take the burden off Rooney.
But Man Utd are not overloaded with funds like Man City are. Wouldn't you rather 24mil go into a midfielder or LB rather than another striker?

For that 24mil you could have gotten Yann M'Vila and some left over for Leighton Baines and the wages that RVP will now be taking up could have paid both players and United will be a far more balanced side for it. After buying a 29yr old striker with a questionable injury record for a position that was not their problem last season United have little right to question other clubs recuriting tactics.

stop selling ur players to barca!

buy clause? nah, not after arsenal sold song to barca
Oh I would love us to stop. Selling Song to Barca really came out of nowhere and to be done this late in the transfer window with the season just starting is poor from our management but Barcelona are the masters at unsettling our players. They are just a real wanking club Barcelona. Next to Chelsea and Man City they are my most hated club.

Salazar

After buying a 29yr old striker with a questionable injury record for a position that was not their problem last season United have little right to question other clubs recuriting tactics.

I'm not Manchester United, though. I'm me.

And the Baines thing seems a bit emotional as much as financial. It seems like SAF is pissed at Moyes' valuation or posture, or summat. That negotiation seemed to get squashed pretty summarily.

Soi-Fong

But Man Utd are not overloaded with funds like Man City are. Wouldn't you rather 24mil go into a midfielder or LB rather than another striker?

For that 24mil you could have gotten Yann M'Vila and some left over for Leighton Baines and the wages that RVP will now be taking up could have paid both players and United will be a far more balanced side for it. After buying a 29yr old striker with a questionable injury record for a position that was not their problem last season United have little right to question other clubs recuriting tactics.

I agree with you that RVP is a luxury, but like I said, it's hard to refuse a player of that quality. As for CM, that still has to be sorted out, but it seems like Fergie wants to give one more chance to Anderson as well as letting Cleverly p;lay. Both of them started out so well last season, and we've only improved from there.

M'Vila would be an amazing acquisition, but his attitude is something else and who knows, that might have turned off Fergie.

As for Baines, he's not worth the amount that Everton values him at. Add to that , that Everton will more than likely play hardball with United. More than likely, Fergie wants to see how Fabio does on loan as it's Fabio's spot to inherit from Evra.

Van Persie's injury record is worrying, but he's goal scoring record is amazing and he'll only improve our side.

It says a lot about United when they have the two best strikers from last season partnering up together. And with Kagawa, the goals should hopefully be plenty.

Oh I would love us to stop. Selling Song to Barca really came out of nowhere and to be done this late in the transfer window with the season just starting is poor from our management but Barcelona are the masters at unsettling our players. They are just a real wanking club Barcelona. Next to Chelsea and Man City they are my most hated club.

Barcelona can unsettle any club bar Real Madrid. Many players would love to put on that shirt and be able to play the football they play. As for me, it's natural to hate City. And as for Chelsea, I had a soft-spot for them till the wanking Russian took over.

Salazar

Celtic are lucky bastards.

Soi-Fong said:
the goals should hopefully be plenty.

Believe.

KvaV6.gif

Meier

Young fella for Malaga named Fabrice Olinga set a new La Liga record by scoring at 16 years and 98 days. Iker Muniain was the previous record holder at 16 years, 289 days old.

Also, it sounds like Adam Johnson to Sunderland is getting closer to happening for a price of £10-£11m.

FootballFan

Young fella for Malaga named Fabrice Olinga set a new La Liga record by scoring at 16 years and 98 days.

Yeah, got subbed on and scored the winner, would feel great. Here's the goal, good work from Buonanotte too.

But we love Arsenal :(

Soi-Fong

The numpty reactions on twitter slay me.

Bitter Arsenal fans: RVP was only made to look good because of Song.

Within a matter of days, ruh roh, goodbye Song.

Lol I'm a United fan, but seriously though, if Barcelona approaches any player of any club, it's always a threat to that club. As I said before, any player would love to put on that jersey. The prestige around Barca is something else.

Quite a good analysis and one I agree with. As I said yesterday, RVP is a great signing and will score goals but United's problems were in midfield and defence last season. Vidic back is a godsend but you're still running with two players pushing 40, and I don't think Cleverely is the answer.

K1LLER7

Quite a good analysis and one I agree with. As I said yesterday, RVP is a great signing and will score goals but United's problems were in midfield and defence last season. Vidic back is a godsend but you're still running with two players pushing 40, and I don't think Cleverely is the answer.
Bebe is the answer to all our problems, Frogson just doesn't realise it yet.

Salazar

United's problems were largely in a massive and protracted injury crisis. And I don't know how "running with" accurately describes the position of two players who will be rotated so much their feet won't touch the ground.

I don't think Cleverely is the answer.

Duh.

Individual players being "the answer" is discourse on Jamie Redknapp's level.

choodi

Banned
Ok, so I get from reading these threads that the general consensus among Liverpool fans is that Suarez is a great player (haven't watched many Liverpool games in recent seasons so have no personal opinion on his quality), but how long does the positivity last while he seems unable to score goals?

If he manages to get similar results this season (11 league goals), are the fans likely to turn on him or is his general play of sufficient quality (and Liverpool fans patience of sufficient depth) that he will still be admired by the fans?

I know that there are plenty of other clubs where the fans would have already started to grumble about a perceived lack of goals from a quite expensive star striker. Newcastle fans in particular can be quite ruthless it seems with imported strikers who can't score goals consistently.

Liverpool fans?

I am genuinely not trying to troll you here. Just trying to get an insight into the different opinions.

Salazar

If he manages to get similar results this season (11 league goals), are the fans likely to turn on him

On the management for not grabbing a sufficiently lethal striker for Suarez to feed. Pressure's on Borini, really. And on Carroll, I suppose, but only in a highly qualified sense, because I dunno how seriously Liverpool fans in general take his position in and contribution to the side anymore.

dc89

I hear Dzeko won't be of the match today, dc89? What does it mean? Does it mean anything?!

It could mean he's moving elsewhere!

Duncan Castles says Sahin to Arsenal has been agreed.

Edit: Oh, look, someone actually says my username correct.

Dzeko was acting strange on Twitter last week, retweeting many tweets in which people were saying why he should stay.

I think he wants to stay, but will be forced out to pay for our last minute signings. It's a real shame. He deserves more respect if they do get rid of him.

Wilbur

Banned
3G working, boom. At the beach today but recorded MOTD and the Football League show as well as setting MOTD2 to record because I think I'll miss both matches today. Should be back for Barcelona hopefully.

Elsk, did you say Milan - Juve is on today?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't know how mobile Llorente is and how much he contributes defensively but I still think Dzeko is more Conte than Fernando.

A few on twitter are likening him (Llorente) to Trezegol?
Wilbury said:
Elsk, did you say Milan - Juve is on today?

Yes! And it's even less than a friendly AFAIC.

Obligatory:
Juventiknows said:
Famously the trophy is said to be a jinx, as whoever wins it that year will fail out to reach out the Scudetto the same year. At first this just seems a strange quirk, but it becomes even more remarkable when you consider that in the last 17 years Milan or Juventus have won the Scudetto eleven times if we include the Bianconeri’s revoked titles. Take Inter’s recent winning run into account and it gets stranger still.

Indeed between 1995 and 1999 the loser went on to lift the Scudetto each season, the run being broken by Lazio’s title win in 2001.

The curse is so embedded in Italian footballing lore that in 2002, when the game went to penalties, Ciro Ferrara intentionally missed a penalty that led to Milan winning. Paolo Maldini buried his head in his hands upon realising they had won. The myth was further reinforced during the last two seasons, when in 2010 Marco Motta scored the winning penalty for Juve and Milan went on to lift the 2010-11 title. Need we remind you who won last year’s edition and who subsequently won the Scudetto?

-

Guys, get ready.

Pazzini-10.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Like a dagger through my eye.

dc89

Got Sunday Supplement on. I wondered why they have a back drop of The Etihad. Then I remembered that we are Champions and they always use the stadium of the champions as a back drop.

><

So.

Arsenal game. Watched 2nd half yesterday.

Defensively, I thought we were solid. Didn't really let anyone in because we had all the possession, but at the same time, we couldn't do anything with the ball because they were defending well.

Cazorla is brilliant, a real playmaker. LOVE HIM ALREADY. Also that was my first time properly watching him and I was very, very impressed considering he just came back from playing 90 mins a few days before.

All other players were ok/disappointing. I know it's some of these players first competitive games for us, but Giroud should have really scored that chance at the end. He and Poldi will come good though.

dc89

LOOL.

Henry Winter "Teams used to say 'right lets mark Rooney' and now they have Van Persie too, Rooney will get more space."

I think Henry likes to think it takes 10 men to mark Wayne Rooney and 5 men on each of Van Persie and Rooney is not enough.

Get me on this show! I'll talk some sense.

dc89

It will be interesting to see who is on the City bench today.

Johnson rumoured to be off to Sunderland with a fee agreed between Sunderland and City. Tottenham apparently also interested.. can't see why though.

Dzeko, well he's been linked all over the show.

De Jong, again, linked to many teams and needs to be sold because he won't sign a new deal.

Anderson

It could mean he's moving elsewhere!

Duncan Castles says Sahin to Arsenal has been agreed.

Edit: Oh, look, someone actually says my username correct.

Be pleased if true, will be an improvement on Song who was an awful DM but our best one at the same time

dc89

Engage Muppet Mode;

Kompany's wife is speaking to Scott Sinclair's GF on twitter.

Must mean one thing.... we're signing Sinclair.

madmackem

Young fella for Malaga named Fabrice Olinga set a new La Liga record by scoring at 16 years and 98 days. Iker Muniain was the previous record holder at 16 years, 289 days old.

Also, it sounds like Adam Johnson to Sunderland is getting closer to happening for a price of £10-£11m.

Id be buzzing if it came off. cant see it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom