• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

Some TalkSport muppet (they're all muppets) says on twitter he's heard murmurings of Carroll going to Villa (I'm presuming on a lon).

Im betting it's the Moose. He's a complete tit. It was hillarious when Everton threatened him with legal action over his bullshit.

Why do teams buy keepers like Rob Green? You can get better ones from abroad for far less money

A bit lame that Toure gets 3 points for accidentally heeling the ball into Dzeko's path

GQman2121

Banned
The staff here at the pub have Wu-Tang shirts on that say Wigan. The backs say, Wigan Athletic ain't nothing to fuck with. I think they're brilliant.

Yeah Suarez shouldn't be spearheading an attack, that's not what he's good at IMO. A 4-2-3-1 with Borini up front might work?

:D

I suggested Borini is more of a striker than a wing player and Arnie called me something like an idiot, or a RAWKite, can't remember.

Based on yesterday I'm gearing up for an 'I told you so'. He's not a particularly effective wide player, can't carry the ball like Suarez or even Downing.

LTWheels

Which is why I think another striker is key over everything else. Possibly another RB given Kelly's performance yesterday (we should move him into CB now I think, he'll really struggle in this system) and an attacking midfielder as well, but a Striker above all others.

I don't understand why Borini is being played on the left. Surely he was bought to be a finisher, through the centre with Suarez sitting off him.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I suggested Borini is more of a striker than a wing player and Arnie called me something like an idiot, or a RAWKite, can't remember.

Based on yesterday I'm gearing up for an 'I told you so'.

He is, as far as I know. He's also versatile, but playing wide on that formation might be too wide for him.

He is, as far as I know. He's also versatile, but playing wide on that formation might be too wide for him.

Yeah, I get that he might like to play off-centre and get on chances, a bit like Kuyt did for them, but I was under the impression Rodgers played with people who can dribble out wide in his systems.

Arnie

Based on yesterday I'm gearing up for an 'I told you so'.

No I didn't.

You said he should only be playing as a central striker, and I said that's not how he's played for Roma, where he did well. He was also great against Gomel in that side striker role, and the team in general didn't link up half as well against West Brom as we have done.

I didn't call you an idiot then, but if you're honestly judging his positional ability off of a single game whereby the entire team was disjointed, then you'd really be tipping my hand.

Feorax

Someone who could dual as a wingback on either side would be ideal. You read that post about the wing back situation on TAW? It's a goodun.

Yeah, read that before. Good read.

Kelly could be a great natural successor to Agger as the footballing CB. Him and Coates could be a great partnership, but the decision needs to be made sooner rather than later.

That being said, I agree with a point made on one of the podcasts that we haven't got a decent RB to fit this system until you get to McLaughlin, and he's only 17. Both he and Robinson have bags of ability, but are far too young to be deputising for our first XI.

It's a shame Johnson was so injury prone last season.

ATF487

I'm watching the Valencia/Madrid game on this sopcast feed, it looks like it has an instagram filter for late 80s/early 90s cable

Madrid 1-1 Valencia

untitled-3lrofr.gif

No I didn't.

You said he should only be playing as a central striker, and I said that's not how he's played for Roma, where he did well. He was also great against Gomel in that side striker role, and the team in general didn't link up half as well against West Brom as we have done.

I didn't call you an idiot then, but if you're honestly judging his positional ability off of a single game whereby the entire team was disjointed, then you'd really be tipping my hand.

Not judging his positional ability, I am judging his technical ability though. As I said above, I know the sorts of positions he enjoys and I can't see how it's going to work with him out wide in Rodgers's system. He was more anonymous than Downing yesterday because he hasn't the ability to run at his man, therefore the attacks stopped dead when it got to him - he had to turn back. When it was Suarez and Johnson linking up on that side, it looked much better.

Yeah, read that before. Good read.

Kelly could be a great natural successor to Agger as the footballing CB. Him and Coates could be a great partnership, but the decision needs to be made sooner rather than later.

That being said, I agree with a point made on one of the podcasts that we haven't got a decent RB to fit this system until you get to McLaughlin, and he's only 17. Both he and Robinson have bags of ability, but are far too young to be deputising for our first XI.

It's a shame Johnson was so injury prone last season.

You mean a decent backup RB right?

sneaky77

Surely Athletic losing 0-3 against Betis is not going to make the transfers of Llorente and Javi any easier.

Well Bayern already said they are paying the full clause.. so thats done it seems.

Llorente.. we are yet to get an offer aparently and the price is 36m, that hasn't changed.

Arnie

Not judging his positional ability, I am judging his technical ability though. As I said above, I know the sorts of positions he enjoys and I can't see how it's going to work with him out wide in Rodger's system. He was more anonymous than Downing yesterday because he hasn't the ability to run at his man, therefore the attacks stopped dead when it got to him - he had to turn back. When it was Suarez and Johnson linking up on that side, it looked much better.

He isn't an out and out winger, but he's quick, can cross, and technically strong. It's the wingbacks who should be bombing on and hitting the byline, not Borini, and it's their overlaps that are relied upon to create space and channels for the likes of Borini. Unfortunately we didn't have Enrique yesterday, who offers that natural width on the left, and Johnson naturally cut into Borini's path, forcing him out wide into a position he's not great at. Additionally, on the right, Kelly didn't offer near enough adventure down the right, forcing Downing out there too with no overlapping backup.

You're right in that he isn't a winger, but usually that shouldn't be a problem. It was yesterday because our fullbacks weren't in the game as we'd have liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom