• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

*rant*

Oh and I loved (LOVED) how Juve-GAF changed their avatars yesterday. Too bad I was busy watching Contraband (okay-ish movie, I guess), it looked like you guys had an epiphany. :D

We love you too TheLucifer. <3 You guys'll be alright. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Even without Ibra and Silva (and Cassano) you still have a pretty decent squad and I still believe Galliani is bringing in someone ... good. The only problem is that you don't have a manager the players *really* want to play and die for. At least that's how Allegri strikes me, but I may be wrong here.

You started Vucinic ahead of Giovinco. :(

Guys, let's face it. I too used to love joking about Vucinic's mixture of lazyness and moments of sheer footballing genius, but lately it's the latter that took over the driver's seat. I'm sure we'll still curse him from time to time, but he's really come into his own over the last year and there's no denying he's fucking ESSENTIAL for our playing style. Giovinco? Not so much. Not yet, anyway. He's been doing fine, but he'll have to do even better if he wants a shot at being in the starting XI. The good thing - for him and for us - is that there's probably not going to be a starting XI this season. Asamoah, Isla, Pogba, Marrone, Caceres, Giovinco, LULZcio, etc. - they're not reserves. They're all valid alternatives.

GorillaJu

I'm having to make a few transfers because of the Agüero injury myself

Petric / Suarez / Aguero

-> Petric / Suarez / Rooney

-> Petric / Tevez / Rooney

sucks I won't have what I want until GW3.

WJD

What do our medical team even do? It'll be a joke if defensive injuries end up ruining our season again. Also, I'd rather have a youngster at the back than Carrick, more for the fact that our midfield will look exceedingly lightweight without him.

I was so excited for this, too!

Wilbur

Banned
No Rio? Sigh. We can only hope the Everton first half of the season curse has hit again.

We have signed Rodri, 22 year old Spanish striker, on loan from Barcelona until the end of the season.

Excited to see him play. Be interesting to see what he brings to the table.

Watched the Football League show last night; did I hear them say you had two goals disallowed at 2-0 down?!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How can United not win with Kagawa and RVP and ClevGod? Against Everton, of all teams. I forsee an easy 0-3.

Marouane-Fellaini-hair.jpg

Everton at home are not to be fucked with. They've beaten, Spurs, Chelsea and City there last season.

GorillaJu

How can United not win with Kagawa and RVP and ClevGod? Against Everton, of all teams. I forsee an easy 0-3.

Everton isn't a bad team and they'll be at home. It wasn't too long ago that they tied 4-4, though I do expect a narrow United win.

Everton has made some really good signings, though their most recent Belgian addition won't be involved, sadly. Jelavic and Pienaar can put any defense under pressure and with United's defensive injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to get through the defensive line at least once.

Everton will have their chances, without question. It's more a matter of can they stop United from scoring and opening them up early. If Everton goes ahead first, they'll have a good chance of 3 points as United have a pretty bad record of coming back after being down.

Bumhead

Banned
Watched the Football League show last night; did I hear them say you had two goals disallowed at 2-0 down?!

2-1 down, but yeah. We were 2-0 down, pulled it back to 2-1 before half time. Second half we had 2 dissalowed, a good penalty shout turned away and we forced a couple of top draw saves from their keeper, all before eventually equalising.

Hopefully Rodri has that bit of spark and quality to give us another option. We have come incredibly far considering we almost went to the wall a little under 2 years ago, relying on players like Warren Feeney on loan.

Ushojax

If Everton goes ahead first, they'll have a good chance of 3 points as United have a pretty bad record of coming back after being down.

wat

They are the comeback kings, remember the 3-3 at Chelsea last season? Blackpool on the last day of 10/11?

GorillaJu

wat

They are the comeback kings, remember the 3-3 at Chelsea last season? Blackpool on the last day of 10/11?

I just read a stat the other day that said something very damning about United's ability to come back. I thought it said that No team received fewer points after conceding the first goal in a match.

Unless it was the complete opposite and it said no team received MORE points. Now that I think of it... that could be exactly what it said.

I'm so depressed after the first week's disaster in my FL Team.

First of all the changes I made on tuesday weren't saved and now Agüero is in a long term injury...

GorillaJu

Gerrard was keen to criticise his own performance at the weekend, insisting: "I made a mistake which led to (Agger's) sending off. I gave the ball away in the first place and that led to Daniel being put in trouble. I take full responsibility for that.

"We were already 1-0 down and losing him made getting back into the game very difficult. Being down to 10 men was the reason why they went on to get a couple more goals."

"We were unlucky with the second penalty as well. It was hard for the team to take. It was one of those days for us - a day to forget. But if there is any finger pointing to be done then I want to make sure that some fingers come my way."

Can't disagree with this. You were horrible, Stevie. :(

Must do better vs. Hearts. City I'm willing to accept a poor result on, being that they're champions, but more than anything I want to see Liverpool beat the teams we should be beating, not losing 3-0 to them.

Won the fewest points in the league from losing positions last season. That game at Chelsea being the only point we saved.

It's probably worth mentioning that United almost always score the first goal.

Ushojax

Won the fewest points in the league from losing positions last season. That game at Chelsea being the only point we saved.

Wow, that is shocking. Spurs were shit at recovering from going behind as well, only once did we win after conceding the first goal.

I honestly can't believe that stat about United, that seems totally divorced from my mental image of them.

Wow, that is shocking. Spurs were shit at recovering from going behind as well, only once did we win after conceding the first goal.

I honestly can't believe that stat about United, that seems totally divorced from my mental image of them.
It was a concern all season for us, missing that typical United spirit which youre talking about.

As Morsel said we didn't go behind too many times last year but for sure you always expect at least one come back in a season from us and last year we drew a blank.

Yup. To be certain, last season was an anomaly for United. In seasons past, we've been very good at coming back from behind to win.

kharma45

What do our medical team even do? It'll be a joke if defensive injuries end up ruining our season again. Also, I'd rather have a youngster at the back than Carrick, more for the fact that our midfield will look exceedingly lightweight without him.

I was so excited for this, too!

Aye I'd rather see someone like Michael Keane played than Carrick.

Who's this Buttner kid?

Where can he play?

LB but also RB if needed apparently.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
and not to forget that fucking 4-4 they pulled against us in Old Trafford.

It'll be a good game I reckon, no matter who wins

Oh man the 4-4 game was so good. Partly due to my united supporting housemate's reactions as we were watching it...

Carbonox

Rumours that Man City are preparing a bid for Cheick Tiote. The only offer I'd accept would be one that involves Nigel De Jong. Yeah, yeah, he broke Ben Arfa's leg but he would be an ideal replacement and there's rumours to suggest De Jong will be leaving anyway. I'd take 10m on top of that as well. We can then use that to acquire Debuchy and maybe a young forward from somewhere. Job done.

dc89

Fantasy football:

I'm just going to swap Aguero for Tevez.

Rumours that Man City are preparing a bid for Cheick Tiote. The only offer I'd accept would be one that involves Nigel De Jong. Yeah, yeah, he broke Ben Arfa's leg but he would be an ideal replacement and there's rumours to suggest De Jong will be leaving anyway. I'd take 10m on top of that as well. We can then use that to acquire Debuchy and maybe a young forward from somewhere. Job done.

Very interesting. Could be a sign De Rossi is definitely off the cards. I still hold hope we will get him though, I guess we find out tomorrow. My hope is why hold a press conference to announce you are staying. Press conferences are usually a good way of explaining a decision which may not go down well.

Believe CityGAF

kharma45

As good as Tiote is if you managed to get De Jong plus that amount of cash it'd be a decent trade.

Who's this Buttner kid?

Where can he play?

Primarily used at LB. He played a couple of games in midfield and RB for Vitesse last season, though, and he's a converted winger. Probably just a backup (not even spoken to Ferguson yet apparently) but still another signpost beside the ostracization of Berbatov that Fergie wants a speedier side; the pace of our transitional play on the counter-attack has been weak, so I can see where he's coming from.

On that note, I'm pretty sure Anderson and Cleverley will start tonight with Carrick in defence. And (hopefully) Kagawa in the hole. We have to play a three without Carrick able to cover for Scholes in a 442, and it'd be just like Fergie to take a flutter and start this season with the same pair as the last.

Messi

Bad luck man :( Any particular reason you missed the flight?

edit
Doubt any of the good players will play anyway, they can't play 24 hours after the last game.

Just mis management of time.

I want to go to this game to see some of the youngsters/Tello. Ah well I will get there as soon as I can. No harm. Well it cost me 100 euro but ok :p

offshore

Or, how about

1) Keep Tiote
2) Acquire De Jong if he leaves
3) ????
4) Profit

Unlikely, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom