• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

Wait, why do the papers think Kagawa, one of United's two marquee signings, who was incidentally one of their best players in preseason, is going to be on the bench?

Ferguson has a history of not putting his latest marquee signings into the first XI immediately, I believe.

snoopen

So, I have a friend on FB who's been a fan of Liverpool since 1993 or something and he switched teams to United after Liverpool's loss to WBA over the weekend. He "liked" the United fan page on FB and posted pics of himself with a newly-acquired United replica kit. I'm not sure if he's serious.

Anyone else seen something like this happening to your friends before? What are your thoughts?
It'll be a lot less stressful for him, and also, who gives a shit. People change brands all the time.

Salazar

Wait, why do the papers think Kagawa, one of United's two marquee signings, who was incidentally one of their best players in preseason, is going to be on the bench?

They're thick.
They don't regard the Bundesliga as proper football and see Shinji in the same way as they would an academy prospect.
Lineup forecasts are intrinsically dribble anyway.

Messi

Not as good as cold pizza.

tumblr_m8cwb2RpUE1qdzgyco1_500.gif

Sitting here listening to the Man on Fire OST. Its making me incredibly sad. Tony Scott :(

Clegg

So what if he does. It's the result that'll matter at the end of the evening.

I'd like us to start with the strongest possible team available to us. Young just isn't in that bracket. FWIW I don't think Kagawa or RVP will start this evening.

He'll probably be brought on in the second half.

Alan Hansen allowed that reports from United indicated Kagawa is a "decent" player. Basically, Young is a known quantity in the PL, so he's the starter in the predictions of most British papers. No matter, all shall become clear very soon.

So, I have a friend on FB who's been a fan of Liverpool since 1993 or something and he switched teams to United after Liverpool's loss to WBA over the weekend. He "liked" the United fan page on FB and posted pics of himself with a newly-acquired United replica kit. I'm not sure if he's serious.

Anyone else seen something like this happening to your friends before? What are your thoughts?

I had a friend who switched over to supporting Madrid's Glacticos side after the Beckham transfer, during United's dry spell back in the Chelsea years. 2008 must have been difficult for him. At least he had the integrity not to switch back.

I'd like to see us go for a 4-3-1-2, to experiment once in a while:

Chesney

Sagna ----Kos ---- Verm --- Gibbs

--------------Coq/M'Vila/Capoue?------

-----Sahin/Arteta/Diaby-----Wilshere/Ramsey---

------------------------Cazorla/Ox------------

-----Giroud -------------------Podolski--------

Walcott and Gervinho come on late to stretch defences.

GorillaJu

I don't know. That's 18 to 19 years of support down the drain.

Well, it's his problem to deal with, not yours. People switch teams all the time. Where do you think all the Chelsea fans popped up from around the world over the last few years? They weren't grown in pots, they were fans of other teams who switched.

If I had to put a long shot bet on what I think Ferguson has in mind:

493786_Manchester_United.jpg

All the lineups I'm reading are predicated on the idea that Ferguson 'always' plays either a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1, but in reality he's proven far more flexible than that over the years, and arguably his finest hour, at least in this decade, was a fluid sort of 4-3-3 in which Rooney, Ronaldo, and Tevez were given loose reins: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/20/teams-of-the-decade-3-manchester-united-2006-09/

The biggest surprise of the season may be Rooney playing wider, not deeper.

Oxx

I feel like we see more pics with Man United players in DHL-branded gear than anything else these days.

Poor AON.

Saw a headline from Arsenal.com where Wenger says he's still after a midfielder and defender.

I'm guessing Sahin is that midfielder so a defender still to come in maybe, if it's a good one it'll mean Arsenal have made some nice signings across the board.

I still have some doubts over Podolski and Giroud though. I don't think they will be rubbish I'm just not convinced they are top quality forwards. Could be wrong about this of course, especially on Giroud who I've hardly seen...but I think Arsenal are going to need the midfield to chip with plenty through the season.

Really don't want us to start playing players out of position to accommodate others. One of my special pet hates.

No to Rooney on the wing and no to Kagawa on the wing.

I'd rather have Young there thanks.

Wilbur

Banned
Büttner in United kit.

Took the pic himself, :lol

We got ourselves a nutter.

Loving that he's spilling the beans before United have said anything. Welcome to the new Nicky Butt

http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2012/08/493786_Manchester_United.jpg[/jd]

All the lineups I'm reading are predicated on the idea that Ferguson 'always' plays either a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1, but in reality he's proven far more flexible than that over the years, and arguably his finest hour, at least in this decade, was a fluid sort of 4-3-3 in which Rooney, Ronaldo, and Tevez were given loose reins: [url]http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/20/teams-of-the-decade-3-manchester-united-2006-09/[/url]

The biggest surprise of the season may be Rooney playing wider, not deeper.[/QUOTE]

That exact picture you posted is my preferred formation and squad. Valencia misses out but RVP, Nani, Kagawa and Clev will be rotated a bit anyway so he and Welbeck will get enough playing time. But a fluid front four like that will cause a lot of problems.

A defensive shield of Clev and Carrick isn't great though.

Salvadora

Saw a headline from Arsenal.com where Wenger says he's still after a midfielder and defender.

I'm guessing Sahin is that midfielder so a defender still to come in maybe, if it's a good one it'll mean Arsenal have made some nice signings across the board.

I still have some doubts over Podolski and Giroud though. I don't think they will be rubbish I'm just not convinced they are top quality forwards. Could be wrong about this of course, especially on Giroud who I've hardly seen...but I think Arsenal are going to need the midfield to chip with plenty through the season.

We need a decent RB/LB & I think you'll need to give Podolski & Giroud more time before judgement.

dc89

MCV said:
This year’s instalment of Konami’s Pro Evolution Soccer series is stepping up the licensing war with EA’s FIFA IP.

PES 2013 will boast 150 licenses in total, including the entire Spanish league, every team in Italy’s Serie A, The UEFA Champions League, a host of European club teams and 17 additional international teams, including England.

What it lacks, however, is a strong showing from the Premier League. In fact, Konami’s press material suggests that Manchester United will be the only licensed team from the English divisions

MCV

Hmm.

On Liverpool/FSG selling before they buy.

I'm not that surprised if it's the case. They've spent close to £30m this summer already and not recouped much. With the supposed costs in changing management that's a pretty healthy outlay already.

http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2012/08/493786_Manchester_United.jpg

All the lineups I'm reading are predicated on the idea that Ferguson 'always' plays either a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1, but in reality he's proven far more flexible than that over the years, and arguably his finest hour, at least in this decade, was a fluid sort of 4-3-3 in which Rooney, Ronaldo, and Tevez were given loose reins: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/20/teams-of-the-decade-3-manchester-united-2006-09/

The biggest surprise of the season may be Rooney playing wider, not deeper.

This is my dream for the CL knock-out stages. Rooney is our best player, but Kagawa is better in the hole and RVP is arguably more consistent at no. 9. Does it sacrifice some range of Rooney's individual expression on the game shifting him wide to drift in and interchange with Kagawa? Perhaps, but I expect Fergie to be ruthless; the tactics should be about constructing the best team possible. (The way the English national team has gone about things over the years is a good example for what not to do.) I'm confident that would be our best one. And if Rooney is contributing to winning trophies, he'll be happy.

Zabojnik

Guys, I need to find a quick & cheap temporary replacement for my PS3 as a media player (PS3 Media Server forevah!). I need something that has a network connection, 'cause I stream all my media content from the PC. I was thinking about getting a second-hand WD TV Live (with custom firmware) ... any other suggestions?

Really don't want us to start playing players out of position to accommodate others. One of my special pet hates.

No to Rooney on the wing and no to Kagawa on the wing.

I'd rather have Young there thanks.
When Cristiano Ronaldo was at the club, Rooney's goal threat was regularly sacrificed to support the former as 'lone' attacker, very often from wider positions. Kagawa is also quite happy to drift wide to receive the ball there before cutting back inside and running at the defense. Ferguson has a range of personnel who offer different things in a variety of roles, and I think you'll see a lot of rotation and a lot of freer roles this season that don't easily conform to the stock 4-4-2 diagram in the paper.

And Young will not be in the Man Utd 'first team' this season.

Same, I dont doubt their ability but I dont think they are world class, neither do they fill the void left by RVP. Perhaps if they played together in a 4-4-2 it might work better but I still feel Arsenal need a world class striker to challenge in PL and Champions League

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Guys, I need to find a quick & cheap temporary replacement for my PS3 as a media player (PS3 Media Server forevah!). I need something that has a network connection, 'cause I stream all my media content from the PC. I was thinking about getting a second-hand WD TV Live (with custom firmware) ... any other suggestions?

I plug my HDD to the TV, lol. Can't help you there.

When Cristiano Ronaldo was at the club, Rooney's goal threat was regularly sacrificed to support the former as 'lone' attacker, very often from wider positions. Kagawa is also quite happy to drift wide to receive the ball there before cutting back inside and running at the defense. Ferguson has a range of personnel who offer different things in a variety of roles, and I think you'll see a lot of rotation and a lot of freer roles this season that don't easily conform to the stock 4-4-2 diagram in the paper.

And Young will not be in the Man Utd 'first team' this season.

I hope you're right and that there are more free roles - in the past it's been that if you're on the wing in Fergie's side, you're on the wing, so to speak.

My experience of Roon on the wing is that he just ends up frustrated and doesn't contribute too much.

Arnie

The implications of not signing Sahin have just dawned on me, the good and the bad, Adam will most likely stay, but Suso's position at the club becomes stronger.

GorillaJu

I'm not that surprised if it's the case. They've spent close to £30m this summer already and not recouped much. With the supposed costs in changing management that's a pretty healthy outlay already.

We've got Joe Allen, who I think is our most important signing, a tricky, quick-footed winger (Assaidi) and a goalscoring forward (Borini). All of these are good signings, but the most important thing for us this season will be a consistent, coherent playing philosophy.

I don't expect an easy run this year, so I don't see the need to go spending more and more money on extra players. It'll be a tough year, we probably won't improve much, but we'll certainly improve at least a little, and next year we'll hopefully have little to no extraordinary costs to get going, like the hiring and firing of managerial staff and DOF.

Though it must be said, we have a few top 4 players, but we aren't a top 4 team. Agger, Skrtel, Reina and Suarez are all well within their rights to seek a move away from Liverpool, and I wouldn't be surprised to see two of those (probably Reina and Skrtel) be moved on next year, unless we came within touching distance of CL football, or god forbid, achieved it.

Like you said, almost £50m has been spent and that's a good outlay, and more than I would have expected. Don't think fans have any right to complain about that.

Arnie

Was Borini played centrally in the WBA game?

Nope, on the left side of a front three, but he struggled to impact the game.

Needs to be said, as well, that the sheer amount of changes made last summer actually set us back in our progress rather than accelerated it.

Zabojnik

I plug my HDD to the TV, lol. Can't help you there.

I have an older Sony Bravia HDTV, doesn't have any media player functionality. Come to think of it, it was really stupid of me not to include a HDMI cable when I was wiring the house with ethernet cables. The distance between the PC and the TV in the living room is only like 8 meters.

Arnie

Put him in the middle and Suarez on the left, slap Gerrard a few times in the face, stop getting players sent off, and you'll be fine.

True, and Gerrard in particular needs to improve. He was pants against West Brom, and his form has fluctuated wildly in pre-season. He was utterly abject on Saturday, but I can conceivably see him putting in a man of the match performance against City, that's just the reality of the current day Steven Gerrard.

We love you too TheLucifer. <3 You guys'll be alright. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Even without Ibra and Silva (and Cassano) you still have a pretty decent squad and I still believe Galliani is bringing in someone ... good. The only problem is that you don't have a manager the players *really* want to play and die for. At least that's how Allegri strikes me, but I may be wrong here.
So we basically need a Conte.

mil6es

The only people we can hope to shift is Carroll and Adam and that's gonna be at a loss, we are never gonna shift Cole, he's our Wayne Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom