• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you're right and that there are more free roles - in the past it's been that if you're on the wing in Fergie's side, you're on the wing, so to speak.

My experience of Roon on the wing is that he just ends up frustrated and doesn't contribute too much.

He was quiet in the sense that he wasn't scoring as many goals, but we got plenty of results. Some pretty brilliant ones in fact. I don't remember him being frustrated actually. Mostly it was the British press in an uproar that England's Wayne RooneyTM was on the wing. In fact, he seemed to be really enjoying his football, linking up with Tevez, Giggs and Ronaldo in those days. Our counter-attacking moments were devastating at times. And I shouldn't omit a better-lunged Park from that period either.

Zabojnik

Put him in the middle and Suarez on the left, slap Gerrard a few times in the face, stop getting players sent off, and you'll be fine.

I'd vote for you as the next Juve manager, Shake, if Conte gets a death sentence. Speaking of which, the appeal trial (or however you want to call it) started a few hours ago. Cazzetta dello Spork seem to think Conte'll get his sentence reduced from 10 to 6 months, while for Bonucci and Pepe nothing changes, they'll be confirmed cleared of charges. They got the previous sentences right, so I tend to believe what they're saying. Seems about right anyway.

Arnie

The only people we can hope to shift is Carroll and Adam and that's gonna be at a loss, we are never gonna shift Cole, he's our Wayne Bridge

As someone who really doesn't see a future for Carroll at Liverpool, even I'm reluctant to letting him go at this stage unless a replacement is both sounded out and willing to come. Our striking options are pish at the moment, we can't afford to make them even worse.

He was quiet in the sense that he wasn't scoring as many goals, but we got plenty of results. Some pretty brilliant ones in fact. I don't remember him being frustrated actually. Mostly it was the British press in an uproar that England's Wayne RooneyTM was on the wing. In fact, he seemed to be really enjoying his football, linking up with Tevez, Giggs and Ronaldo in those days. Our counter-attacking moments were devastating at times. And I shouldn't omit a better-lunged Park from that period either.

Ah, well I do get giddy at that prospect, although RVP and Kagawa don't necessarily have the pace to play that way.

Arnie

I'd vote for you as the next Juve manager, Shake, if Conte gets a death sentence. Speaking of which, the appeal trial (or however you want to call it) started a few hours ago. Cazzetta dello Sport seem to think Conte'll get his sentence reduced from 10 to 6 months, while for Bonucci and Pepe nothing changes, they'll be confirmed cleared of charges. They got the previous sentences right, so I tend to believe what they're saying. Seems about right anyway.

On our FM network game, Conte has given each and every one of us shit for how we play. He's like the pantomime villain of the league. All three of us spoke out against him in the press, around the time when Juventus lost randomly at home, to try and put his job in jeopardy.

kharma45

Büttner in United kit.

Took the pic himself, :lol

We got ourselves a nutter.

Him going for his medical

A0vpzCyCcAA4Gmg.jpg

From the brief bit I've read he does sound like a bit of a character.

thaOwner

With how much shit I've talked to my Liverpool fan brother, Arsenal buddies and Chelsea, if United don't come out as winners today, I would have to go into exile. Come united. Fergie better get his selections right.

I'd vote for you as the next Juve manager, Shake, if Conte gets a death sentence. Speaking of which, the appeal trial (or however you want to call it) started a few hours ago. Cazzetta dello Spork seem to think Conte'll get his sentence reduced from 10 to 6 months, while for Bonucci and Pepe nothing changes, they'll be confirmed cleared of charges. They got the previous sentences right, so I tend to believe what they're saying. Seems about right anyway.
My Football Manager CV is sparkling.

Conte back for the run-in then. Sounds good to me.

Ah, well I do get giddy at that prospect, although RVP and Kagawa don't necessarily have the pace to play that way.

To be more accurate, Rooney wasn't really playing out wide; we had an unfixed front three back then, floating forwards that would interchange without a rigid shape. RVP and Kagawa don't have the pace of Tevez, Ronaldo and Park circa 2006 - 2009, but it would mean a return to that kind of fluidity, unpredictability and menace up front. I think the technical qualities of RVP, Kagawa and a more cultured Rooney would certainly compensate.

I say all this of course, but I'm still half-anticipating static 442s and Young running into walls. It certainly works against most of the Premiership, given how close we came to winning the title last season - especially those teams without the ability or set-up to press our midfield two - but against the very best of Europe, or even the PL itself? I think Fergie had the 433 in mind this summer.

elseanio

With how much shit I've talked to my Liverpool fan brother, Arsenal buddies and Chelsea, if United don't come out as winners today, I would have to go into exile. Come united. Fergie better get his selections right.

You gave Chelsea fans shit for winning 2-0?

PaulLFC

On Liverpool/FSG selling before they buy.

I'm not that surprised if it's the case. They've spent close to £30m this summer already and not recouped much. With the supposed costs in changing management that's a pretty healthy outlay already.
True, and this is what I don't get about the current view of some of our fans. More and more the consensus seems to be FSG have "spent nothing" and we're "back to the days of H&G and sell to buy". For the more, erm, conspiracy-theory liking of the group, (paraphrasing) "anyone who doesn't think FSG are a bad thing is stupid, because they're H&G part II, and it's incredible nobody can see that after what happened last time". It's all getting a bit silly to be honest. If we can bring Sahin in (although that's looking unlikely), and/or another one or two signings, a striker hopefully, then we'll have had a great summer.

Adam, Cole and Spearing's days at the club all seem to be numbered, especially Adam's judging by the Times article. Apart from Spearing, the other two should free up a fair bit in wages which we can then hopefully use to get Skrtel and Agger signed to new contracts.

On a different note, anyone played Fluid Football? It's great, quite a few free levels as well with IAP for the extra ones.

Arnie

Stat from Football Weekly, over the last three seasons, Luis Saha has played more football in the premier league than Robin Van Persie.

Meier

ibsOXhezoyhkM8.gif

Meier, Kermit, dc

Haha, that's pretty good. I wish someone giffed the big ol fat Soton fan yesterday. Holy hell, my fiancee lost her shit when he was flopping around.

Fantasy football:

Very interesting. Could be a sign De Rossi is definitely off the cards. I still hold hope we will get him though, I guess we find out tomorrow. My hope is why hold a press conference to announce you are staying. Press conferences are usually a good way of explaining a decision which may not go down well.

Believe CityGAF

I think he's going to announce he is staying at Roma for the rest of his career. I think he's going to say he's flattered by the interest of other clubs but he has no plan to ever leave. At least it will end the chase. Tiote seems like a good plan B.

I just made a watching schedule for myself for this week:

Mon: Everton - Utd.
Tue: Gladbach - Kiev
Wed: Stuttgart - Moscow
Thu:
Fri: Dortmund - Bremen
Sat: Bundesliga recap /simulcast
Chelsea - Newcastle
Sun: Liverpool - Citeh

Although probably going to miss more than half of those games..

To be more accurate, Rooney wasn't really playing out wide; we had an unfixed front three back then, floating forwards that would interchange without a rigid shape. RVP and Kagawa don't have the pace of Tevez, Ronaldo and Park circa 2006 - 2009, but it would mean a return to that kind of fluidity, unpredictability and menace up front. I think the technical qualities of RVP, Kagawa and a more cultured Rooney would certainly compensate.

I foresee a slightly different build up to our attacking movements with RVP and Kagawa playing - we've got some great technical attackers right now. If we want to counter we need our pace options, which is where Roon, Welbeck and Chicha come in I suppose. Good to have different tools for different defensive problems.

kharma45

Stat from Football Weekly, over the last three seasons, Luis Saha has played more football in the premier league than Robin Van Persie.

So he has, by 3 games. Overall though RVP beats him by a mighty 3 games :p

Wonder though how many were sub appearances etc.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Arnie said:
On our FM network game, Conte has given each and every one of us shit for how we play. He's like the pantomime villain of the league.
inMpMizryZJWP.gif

Arnie said:
All three of us spoke out against him in the press

You, Mazzarri and? Allegri? Zeman?

Wait, you're Napoli, can't be Mazzarri.

I believe.

giulia-bongiorno.jpg

No I don't. Not in Italy.

Arnie

But over the last 3 seasons as a whole, at least according to Wikipedia's stats, he's played 61 fewer games than RVP.
James Richardson. He did preface the comment with 'I could be wrong'.
You, Mazzarri and? Allegri? Zeman?

Wait, you're Napoli, can't be Mazzarri.

Napoli, Udinese, and AC Milan (who's since resigned after managerial pressures).

I've invented a 32 year old Portugese protege in the mould of Mourinho and AVB, named Abilio Mateus. Second in Serie A, but I've just drawn Barcelona in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

PaulLFC

I just made a watching schedule for myself for this week:

Mon: Everton - Utd.
Tue: Gladbach - Kiev
Wed: Stuttgart - Moscow
Thu: Hearts - Liverpool
Fri: Dortmund - Bremen
Sat: Bundesliga recap /simulcast
Chelsea - Newcastle
Sun: Liverpool - Citeh

Although probably going to miss more than half of those games..
Now you have a game for every day.

You burned that bridge, sadly.

http://www.7msport.com/news/upload_img/20100212/1372_hp.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

As much as I loved him back in the days, I don't see Rino becoming a manager like Conte. He's one of the few players that were used to show some passion while playing, but he wasn't a genius, tactics-wise. Plus, last year (and as vice-captain), he couldn't handle the rest of the team, like he said a couple of weeks ago.

Then again he might become the best manager ever, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Arnie

Rory Smith saying Aguero's not heard the results yet, but he's not expected to be out for more than 2-3 weeks. That's perfect, nothing serious for him, but just enough to keep him out of the Liverpool game.

Zabojnik

On our FM network game, Conte has given each and every one of us shit for how we play. He's like the pantomime villain of the league. All three of us spoke out against him in the press, around the time when Juventus lost randomly at home, to try and put his job in jeopardy.

caceresbaciaconte.gif

My Football Manager CV is sparkling.

Conte back for the run-in then. Sounds good to me.

There'll be yet another appeal. That could reduce the sentence even further. Not getting my hopes up, though. Even if they should, they can't completely discredit Palazzi and Carobbio, otherwise the whole thing would fall into water. FIGC can't let that happen, even if it means screwing Conte in the process.

You burned that bridge, sadly.

1372_hp.jpg

What about Tassotti? He's been assistant coach for a long time now, maybe they should promote him. Personally, I'd always hoped Maldini would get into coaching, but his 'divorce' from Milan - the ultras, specifically - wasn't exactly without hiccups either. Not that it would preclude his eventual return to AC as coach. Wouldn't it be great? Like father, like son ... once again.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Marchisio's assist. Del Piero-esque. <3

Arnie said:
Napoli, Udinese, and AC Milan (who's since resigned after managerial pressures).

I've invented a 32 year old Portugese protege in the mould of Mourinho and AVB, named Abilio Mateus. Second in Serie A, but I've just drawn Barcelona in the knockout stages of the Champions League.

I hope FM-Juve is doing well.
YJI47.gif

Mastadon

Banned
Rory Smith saying Aguero's not heard the results yet, but he's not expected to be out for more than 2-3 weeks. That's perfect, nothing serious for him, but just enough to keep him out of the Liverpool game.

Maybe Ballotelli will start so we can get him sent off again! :)

Arnie

I hope FM-Juve is doing well.
YJI47.gif
They're top of the league. I tipped them for the Scudetto at the start of the season, and again during the winter break. It's January at the moment.

They need to watch out next year, I've got Veratti coming in and I'm planning on bringing in Destro in the summer as back up to Cavani. Although Genoa just renewed his contract so he'll cost a bit.

Maybe Ballotelli will start so we can get him sent off again! :)
Balotelli frightens me, he can either be volatile wank, or unplayable.

3Sixty

Put this list together for a friend earlier, might as well put it here.

Players who played vs City & The lowest level they played for us.

K. Davis - League 1

Fox - Championship
Hoovield - Championship
Fonte - League 1
Clyne - New Signing

Schneiderlin- League 1
Lallana - League 1
Ward-Prowse - Well, a 17 year old making his league debut...

Rodriguez - New signing
Puncheon - League 1
Guly Do Prado - League 1

Lambert - League 1
S. Davis - New signing
Sharp - Championship

Zabojnik

They need to watch out next year, I've got Veratti coming in and I'm planning on bringing in Destro in the summer as back up to Cavani. Although Genoa just renewed his contract so he'll cost a bit.

You can always put on a golden tie and pretend you're you-know-who, they'll give him away for free.
Sorry, couldn't resist. I hate Genoa's president Preziosi with a true passion.

feel

Haha, that's pretty good. I wish someone giffed the big ol fat Soton fan yesterday. Holy hell, my fiancee lost her shit when he was flopping around.
Did that really go by ungiffed?

Here it is then, only video I could find on youtube
fat1.gif

If not having Aguero is the difference between winning or losing at Liverpool, I am going to be disappointed. We have the team to cope with Liverpool in any formation and should win handsomely.

That is not to say Liverpool can't win. They proved their mettle against the big teams last season and did beat us in that cup game. I'm still annoyed by that Richards penalty...

Looks like we've already reached an agreement with Pazzini, 3 year contract, &#8364;2.6m per season. For the love of God Marotta, save us, please D: We won't mention Muntari anymore.
What about Tassotti? He's been assistant coach for a long time now, maybe they should promote him. Personally, I'd always hoped Maldini would get into coaching, but his 'divorce' from Milan - the ultras, specifically - wasn't exactly without hiccups either. Not that it would preclude his eventual return to AC as coach. Wouldn't it be great? Like father, like son ... once again.
I guess we'll se Tassotti as a "traghettatore" when Allegri will be sacked this year. Or next year. But he's not bad, not bad at all from what I've heard/read. Maldini? Ehh... It seems like the board doesn't want him close to the team, I guess that there are some issues between him and Galliani/Braida/Berlusconi.
I can picture Ambrosini becoming a good manager, for some reason.
Yeah, I guess that he'd have a more chances than Gattuso.

Meier

Did that really go by ungiffed?

Here it is then, only video I could find on youtube
http://i.minus.com/dkuPJ8gApTpFB/fat1.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hahaha, thanks. I know some other GAFfers were flipping out too.

[quote="Freewheelin', post: 41212194"]Yes, first game is Man Utd vs Everton.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting, I wonder how much Sky has to pay to use the name. I found a wiki entry -- I suppose Ford probably covers any costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom