• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

It's already been said, but Rooney needs to stay the fuck up and not stifle Kagawa in the hole.

Don't you have it the other way around? The team is built around getting the best out of Rooney. Kagawa was stepping on Rooney's toes for much of the match and didn't see as much of the ball as he could have because Rooney was always the preferred option for passes.

pappe

A70DW.gif

FUCK YOU!! :(

Then why didn't we just promote a CB from reserves and play Carrick in CM?
Go back to earlier this evening and there's a post where Laboured says he hates players playing out of position and I say it's Fergie's #1 hobby.

That's basically why.

Genuinely have a defensive crisis at the moment but even so Carrick has had very very few if any good games at CB so I too would now rather look at a young player and risk it, cos we more or less know Carrick can't play there.

Valencia too is a bad bad RB.

K1LLER7

Front 3 were shocking. Never looked like scoring the way they played. Valencia should be back on the wing if Nani keeps his shit form going. Welbeck should be happy with a place on the bench, as RVP has to start the next game.

Kagawa and De Gea were pretty good, midfield had a lot of the ball but very little movement upfront made it hard to create chances. Rooney dropped deep too often. Hopefully Evans is back for the next game.

doicare

Oh man :lol

Not every game is won with the highest possession stats you weirdo
Never said it was.
Well shame on United for not figuring that out tonight. Or in the 4-4 at Old Trafford.

They only have themselves to blame, every attack was toothless. If just one of those crosses was even slightly accurate, you might have a point. No one wanted to be the winning player tonight.
If Everton 'defended' that well every game you'd have a point but they don't.

FuturusX

Everton had a great deal of chances tonight. Should have won by a couple to be honest.

Not the stuff of would be champions. Early days of course, but the same unresolved issues arose tonight. I used to watch UTD and be confident they'd steam roll their way past teams. But things feel different now. They seem open, very open.

LegoArmo

I think Carrick did as well as almost anyone would have again Fellaini. If Jones was fit and played centre back, he'd have done worse. Not sure about Evans. Rio is more known for his positioning. Smalling could have done it.

Simply though, Vidic should have man marked him.

D_prOdigy

Don't you have it the other way around? The team is built around getting the best out of Rooney. Kagawa was stepping on Rooney's toes for much of the match and didn't see as much of the ball as he could have because Rooney was always the preferred option for passes.

That's how it unfolded tonight and we created fuck all.

But the team isn't built around Rooney's preference to stay deep. He's been a more traditional forward before, and he should revert to that role and score many of the goals he would have assisted last season. Otherwise there's no point in someone of Kagawa's quality being there.

pappe

Was. Now Kagawa has arrived and he our creator Rooney should be our outlet for goals and not creativity. Habits are hard to break they will take a few matches to gel but once they do it will be fascinating to watch. We saw evidence of that once or twice.

And I was hoping Valencia would play at RB but that would not work we saw that tonight. We need to drop Nani and keep Val as our no.1 winger

GorillaJu

Never said it was.

So what, you think you just got unlucky that you caught them on a good night? You got absolutely battered. Everton created the better chances and were unlucky to hit the bar twice. De Gea was the only one keeping you in the game for the first half.

I think Carrick did as well as almost anyone would have again Fellaini. If Jones was fit and played centre back, he'd have done worse. Not sure about Evans. Rio is more known for his positioning. Smalling could have done it.

Simply though, Vidic should have man marked him.

Tbh Vidic doesn't look up to speed either, also looks underweight.

Soi-Fong

2 good chances came from Kagawa staying in the hole. Rooney has to learn that that's Kagawa's position and he should stay up top to allow Kagawa to feed him.

Stop underrating Kagawa because he along with DDG were the stand-out United players. Rooney practically did nothing in the match while Kagawa attacked spaces and made vital passes. I really have a feeling that RVP would have finished that chance Welbeck wasted.

Garjon

Stop acting as if United's only attempts came from crosses. They didn't. Weren't you watching the match? Stop being so bias. Kagawa had 2 good through balls especially one that Welbeck wasted.

I'm not. But the sheer number of crosses made that went straight to an opposing player was incredible.

ShogunX

Give it a rest. Every time Man Utd lose or under perform you are in here with terrible excuses and strangely wonder why nobody agrees with you or shares the same opinion.

Everton played well and deserved the three points. Move on.

Clegg

The problem is that Rooney isn't all that good as a creative player. His passing a first touch is just too erratic. As a striker he is world class but we now have a better player to fill the creative role behind the striker.

Welbeck shouldn't have played on the wing either.

FootballFan

So pretty much Kagawa and De Gea were the only impressive players. Disappointing start from ManUnited. 10 more days to buy players, or just wait for injured players to return(lol)

The "best strike force in the world" couldnt even score 1 goal past Everton lol

Doubt anyone thinks ManUnited has the best strikeforce in the world, that is clearly Madrid or Barca, or even Bayern. Villa-Messi-Sanchez, Ronaldo-Benzema-Ozil, Ribery-Gomez/Mandzukic-Robben are better. But if you meant premier league then yeah maybe.

Couldn't even score 1 goal past Everton is a bit harsh too, RVP played 20minutes. Carrick at CB wasn't helping either. And an opinion that probably isn't very popular with the ManUnited-GAF, Scholes should just retire, atm he is a smaller version of Shawcross that has vision and knows how to pass. His pace, positioning, stamina etc is just not good enough anymore.

Imagine if Yaya was in that midfield for United..lol. His sort of speed, strength and midfield presence is what they need most imo.

Soi-Fong

I'm not. But the sheer number of crosses made that went straight to an opposing player was incredible.

If United has to get anything from this, it's that they have to stop being predictable and attack more from the middle and not only the wings. Most of our good chances came through the middle with Kagawa.

Wilbur

Banned
Would love to see Everton play like that all the time though, I really would. They played shit for 3 months last year, done City over and played brilliantly, then lost to West Brom at home or something, you know?

If they can keep that up all year I wouldn't be surprised if they finish 5th.

This did happen but I personally put the blame on Rooney for that, because it seemed like his role was to lead the line and although I'm sure he was told to float...he kept dropping too deep and so basically ran into the same positions as Kagawa.

Once they did get the ball in those areas...Kagawa actually played some nice passes whereas Rooney just did nothing of note all night really.

Garjon

What?
I said that if just one of those crosses was anywhere near a United player then you'd have a point; every cross was miles away from a United head, Everton didn't even need 10 men behind the ball, they defend like that anyway. Or are you seriously doubting Everton's general aerial ability?

elseanio

Wish Carroll could put in a performance like Fellaini tonight. Shows how a big target man can be so effective (his movement and touch are far better than Andy though)

The problem is that Rooney isn't all that good as a creative player. His passing a first touch is just too erratic. As a striker he is world class but we now have a better player to fill the creative role behind the striker.

Welbeck shouldn't have played on the wing either.

Yup yup.

Too many players playing out of position. Left wing was nullified by our own tactics.

Roon dropping deep was infuriating too.

GorillaJu

2 good chances came from Kagawa staying in the hole. Rooney has to learn that that's Kagawa's position and he should stay up top to allow Kagawa to feed him.

Stop underrating Kagawa because he along with DDG were the stand-out United players. Rooney practically did nothing in the match while Kagawa attacked spaces and made vital passes. I really have a feeling that RVP would have finished that chance Welbeck wasted.

He's a new signing - he's just come in the team and played his first competitive match and he's already your creator? I don't understand this. He comes from a different league, he's been played out of position and while he showed some great quality on the ball, but he was only present to play a few forward passes and make runs here and there. He created one real clear cut chance, and could have done more if he had the ball more, but they didn't pass to him, but he's not ready to be United's main creative force.

Clegg

Its a bit early to be criticizing RVP. He was only on for 20 mins and our creativity just wasn't there.

If we're to judge a players ability from their first showing of the season then Silva, Rooney and Gerrard are all shite. So lets not do that.

FuturusX

Wish Carroll could put in a performance like Fellaini tonight. Shows how a big target man can be so effective (his movement and touch are far better than Andy though)

Fellani has heart...and only knows how to play one way. Carroll couldn't do that if his live depended on it.

I suspect he thinks he better than he really is.

Kagawa was good not question...anybody questioning his worth is looking in the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom