• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
That would be a very good buy I think

The consensus seems to be we require a LB, Winger, Striker and probably another midfielder before the end of the window.

Olsson would be a good start. Cheap, young LB and with premier league experience.

I still think we should be after Brahimi from Stade Rennes. Attack midfielder/winger. He wants to leave, has good technique and would also be available for a reasonable amount.

Striker is a problem. Who do you partner alongside Bent? He gets isolated when he's on his own unless you have three very advanced creative midfielders behind him. Putting a target man next to him is better but then you lose control of the midfield which is something Lambert seems to like. I really don't know what we're going to do here.

Winger... Phillips from Blackpool would be nice but he seems heavily linked with Southampton.

Wilbur

Banned
Everton played some lovely stuff at times, and we played some nice one touch football as well. Everton deserved to win though.

Ah well. One of the toughest places to visit out of the way bedding in a few new players and a makeshift defence. I'm being positive.

K1LLER7

They we're the better team, no denying that. Think if we dealt with Fellani and actually pressured him when the ball was lumped up to him, we would have got something out of the match.

Salvadora

Everton played some lovely stuff at times, and we played some nice one touch football as well. Everton deserved to win though.

Ah well. One of the toughest places to visit out of the way bedding in a few new players and a makeshift defence. I'm being positive.

Just wait until you go to the theatre of miracles.

3Sixty

Ramirez deal still close. Bologna messing about abit, should be done in the next few days one way or another.

Blackpool don't want to see Phillips, player trying to force move, may happen.

Still looking into Tello on a season long loan.

kharma45

You're being overly optimistic, only player being bedded in for most of the game was Kagawa, and he and De Gea were the only ones who turned up.

Fergie is probably just saying what he's saying to calm the nerves publicly.

I will be surprised if he didn't have a bit of a go at the players. We just didn't want it. Surely he's seen that too.

GorillaJu

Fergie is probably just saying what he's saying to calm the nerves publicly.

I will be surprised if he didn't have a bit of a go at the players. We just didn't want it. Surely he's seen that too.

United looked like they were playing for pride, more than anything. They did look like a team in pre-season at moments. Very passive, physically.

Wilbur

Banned
You're being overly optimistic, only player being bedded in for most of the game was Kagawa, and he and De Gea were the only ones who turned up.

Kagawa, Cleverley who was out for large parts of last season, RVP at the end, Valencia at RB, Carrick at CB and a returning Vidic. I'm not arguing there's cause for concern but I don't think I should be too negative.

kharma45

Kagawa, Cleverley who was out for large parts of last season, RVP at the end, Valencia at RB, Carrick at CB and a returning Vidic. I'm not arguing there's cause for concern but I don't think I should be too negative.

Still players who've been together for years.

Valencia just isn't good at being a RB nor Carrick at CB, Vidic lacked match sharpness and Cleverly... was just quiet.

There wasn't enough off the ball movement from the front 3 at least from the way I'm perceiving it.

Nope, no one made any runs.

Hernandez, whilst he'd have been offside 9/10 times, would've at least tried to stretch Everton.

kharma45

SAF: “I think it was a pretty good game actually, we had plenty of possession & made some great openings without actually finishing them.”

“I have no criticism of my team tonight, they applied themselves well

Utter rubbish.

There's no point in taking too much from this match tactically and player performance wise. It's just one game, it's the first game and it was a tough game when Fellaini played probably the best he has ever played.

I know I'm harping on about it but really the mentality of the players is the one thing I am taking from today's game because it's something which they should have been thinking about for the whole of pre-season if not before that and really wanted it today.

I don't mind us losing, but we lost and were second best to everything. That's just unacceptable for me.

Wilbur

Banned

Valencia just isn't good at being a RB nor Carrick at CB, Vidic lacked match sharpness and Cleverly... was just quiet.

And I agree with Valencia, Carrick and Vidic points, which is why I can be optimistic because we have defenders to come back and Vidic will get more fitness.

Soi-Fong

Nope, no one made any runs.

Hernandez, whilst he'd have been offside 9/10 times, would've at least tried to stretch Everton.

Our biggest problems were defense and attack. The attack is clear. Nani Rooney and Welbeck were off-form today. That was clear. Especially Nani.

Defense is also clear considering we have Vidic only coming back and Carrick as a make-shift CB. We needed Carrick in the middle.

I'm not gonna take away anything from Everton. They played well against us, but there were some things that went against us even before the ball was kicked.

kharma45

SAF: “I don’t think any of them [Ferdinand, Evans, Smalling, Jones] will be fit for Saturday.”

Fuck.

And I agree with Valencia, Carrick and Vidic points, which is why I can be optimistic because we have defenders to come back and Vidic will get more fitness.

That wasn't our biggest problem tonight though, it was the fact that most players looked like they didn't care.

No drive and no urgency.

Wilbur

Banned
That wasn't our biggest problem tonight though, it was the fact that most players looked like they didn't care.

No drive and no urgency.

I also agree with that, but it isn't going to be like that all season. Viva makes that point as well.

They were complacent tonight.

Fergie on the game

"He (Fellaini) is a handful: he is a big, tall, gangly lad and they just lumped the ball forward to him, that's all they did," added Ferguson.

Better

"We were the better football team, they had eight shots on target and De Gea did very well for us in that way," he told MUTV.

"But we had the possession and made some great openings without actually finishing it.

"That was the only difference. These shots on targets the goalkeeper did really well.

"Other than that we played good football, good combination play, on another day we would have won the match."

doicare?

Soi-Fong

No drive and no urgency.

Fellaini was all over our defense and he was where Everton's attacks came from. It wasn't the biggest problem, but it sure was a vital problem. We prolly could have come up with 0-0 if we shut down Fellaini.

Our attack is another matter as clearly nobody made runs and I'm still so pissed off at Welbeck for wasting that beautiful throughball by Kagawa.

I also agree with that, but it isn't going to be like that all season. Viva makes that point as well.

They were complacent tonight.
It should NEVER be like that.

Not after last season when there were at least 2 games where we were ridiculously complacent which cos us the title.

What if we lose the title on GD again? There should not be a single week this season when the players are complacent or slacking. It's just not on and I'm kinda amazed we played like that today...I really thought we'd be so up for it. Was shit.

Soi-Fong

Rather than typing it all out again, my first ever megapost on GAF sort of summed up all my feelings on each player

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41226998&postcount=13034

It didn't even feel like complacency, it was almost like complete disinterest from some.

It's so messed up. Kagawa kept on moving around the middle looking for space, looking for someone in a goddamn red shirt to pass to him and instead, was ignored and saw the ball being passed out to the wings. If I was him, I'd be pissed of to no end.

Wilbur

Banned
It should NEVER be like that.

Not after last season when there were at least 2 games where we were ridiculously complacent which cos us the title.

What if we lose the title on GD again? There should not be a single week this season when the players are complacent or slacking. It's just not on and I'm kinda amazed we played like that today...I really thought we'd be so up for it. Was shit.

It shouldn't be like that, but they came at it fresh off the RVP signing, Fergie bigging them up all week and I think that got to them. We have to factor in a) our defence, b) how good Everton were, c) how solid they are at defending a lead, d) Fellaini having the game of his life. We were bad tonight, we really were, but I would argue it's an anomaly.

If we're to lose on GD again then its disgraceful, but its the first week of the season. When it's December/January and we see them putting in complacent performances, or in April like against Everton or Wigan, that's when I'll be truly fucked off.

Jabo

"Berlusconi is promising huge signings worthy of Milan on friday, Kaka and Sahin" same source that reported Pazzinis signing a couple of days ago.

I refuse to believe.

kharma45

It's so messed up. Kagawa kept on moving around the middle looking for space, looking for someone in a goddamn red shirt to pass to him and instead, was ignored and saw the ball being passed out to the wings. If I was him, I'd be pissed of to no end.

As would I. It made us so blunt as we were so utterly predictable.

That's why Anderson actually had one of the brightest moments for me when he cut inside and tried a shot, that whilst it went wide (but not too far), it was a bit of variety in our attack.

It shouldn't be like that, but they came at it fresh off the RVP signing, Fergie bigging them up all week and I think that got to them. We have to factor in a) our defence, b) how good Everton were, c) how solid they are at defending a lead, d) Fellaini having the game of his life. We were bad tonight, we really were, but I would argue it's an anomaly.

If we're to lose on GD again then its disgraceful, but its the first week of the season. When it's December/January and we see them putting in complacent performances, or in April like against Everton or Wigan, that's when I'll be truly fucked off.
Yeah I agree, let's not over-react...I'm just bitterly disappointed that the team played like that today.

If we want the title back we have to get serious and soon. There are some tricky games coming very soon, next week will be one.

FootballFan

"Berlusconi is promising huge signings worthy of Milan on friday, Kaka and Sahin" same source that reported Pazzinis signing a couple of days ago.

I refuse to believe.

Sahin is going to ManUnited, Arsenal, Liverpool and AC Milan. Lol wonder how many more teams are in for him. Good signing wherever he goes though.

Soi-Fong

As would I. It made us so blunt as we were so utterly predictable.

That's why Anderson actually had one of the brightest moments for me when he cut inside and tried a shot, that whilst it went wide (but not too far), it was a bit of variety in our attack.

We have strong wingers, we really do, but when they're off-form for the love of god, I want the team to use their brains a little and realize that maybe trying to look for openings in the middle would be a smart choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom