• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

have you considered reading footy books to supplement your football viewing, mumei. watching lots of games is most important when your starting out but based on how you approach other topics here i think you'll find value in them. some suggestions:

'inverting the pyramid' is a must read and gives you a great history of tactics and through it an understanding of strategy, the history of the game - just how global it is - and the way the player and the manager intersect.

'fever pitch' gives you a great understanding of what it means to be a football fan and it's written by hornby so you get nice prose too

'barca - the making of the best team in the world' isn't a classic but it's full of interesting info and should teach you about how players go from kids to best in the world, the value of a team, how managers help teams, the importance of how a club is run etc

there's some great histories of football in different countries like netherlands, spain, italy and brazil but those are deeper cuts.

G17

Fever Pitch, one of my favourite movies of all time. And Colin Firth. ;) Not sure if the movie does the book justice, but it was brilliant.

edit: Of course not the one with Jimmy Fallon.

ElyrionX

Kagawa had a great game because he was running into all these spaces and his passing was crisp and accurate. Cleverley and Scholes had a decent game as well but they were clearly lacking in creativity. Scholes got the ball so often outside the penalty area and all he did was distribute to the side. It's the same shit from last season all over again and it's frustrating to watch really.

And then there was the left side of our midfield. Why play Welbeck there when we have Young on the bench? And when RVP came on, why was he placed on the left wing as a direct sub for Welbeck?

Of course, Nani and Rooney were both shit and playing Carrick in CB is always going to end in tears.

I woke up at 3 am to catch the full match. What a disappointment.

Mumei

I only have Ashton Villa at West Ham United set up to record tomorrow; everything is reruns from the weekend. And I don't have a Manchester United game scheduled to record until 8/25.

I'm a bit miffed to learn that they are skipping games instead of airing them, to say the least.

But I do have the first game of Champion's League scheduled properly. So there's that.

have you considered reading footy books to supplement your football viewing, mumei. watching lots of games is most important when your starting out but based on how you approach other topics here i think you'll find value in them. some suggestions:

'inverting the pyramid' is a must read and gives you a great history of tactics and through it an understanding of strategy, the history of the game - just how global it is - and the way the player and the manager intersect.

'fever pitch' gives you a great understanding of what it means to be a football fan and it's written by hornby so you get nice prose too

'barca - the making of the best team in the world' isn't a classic but it's full of interesting info and should teach you about how players go from kids to best in the world, the value of a team, how managers help teams, the importance of how a club is run etc

there's some great histories of football in different countries like netherlands, spain, italy and brazil but those are deeper cuts.

I have! I actually have a book recommendation from someone (apologies; I have forgotten who) that you have just seconded; Inverting the Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics. I have it reserved at the library, but it hasn't come in yet.

elsk

Banned
But I do have the first game of Champion's League scheduled properly. So there's that.

Are you sure you're recording the right Champions League match?

igPCGXzJ8rcZH.png

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/index.html

There's 1 match earlier and then all the rest at the same time.

Gladbach vs. Dynamo Kyiv is the best one. Don't trust Woodenlung and his København love.

I only have Ashton Villa at West Ham United set up to record tomorrow; everything is reruns from the weekend.

There is a lot of champions league qualification games which will have lots of tension. Basically if you get through you are secured about $25 mil which is a hell lot to some clubs (Like my club Copenhagen).

Gladbach vs. Dynamo Kyiv is the best one. Don't trust Woodenlung and his København love.

I already said earlier that we are going to get spanked badly. :(

If some miracle however happens and we manages to beat Lille, you an expect drunk posts.

That Barca book empty is talking about is very well written, love that Xavi considered going to Man Utd but obviously never did :p

Also I have a biography of Lionel Messi (who is Barca's no. 10 and the best player in the world) which is very good as well. Has some great interviews with his former coaches who describe him as, and I'm paraphrasing here, "the most outstanding talent we've ever seen."

And they're right.

Great to see Mumei get into football, its rare that we have a mod visit our sexy community.

Mumei

Are you sure you're recording the right Champions League match?

igPCGXzJ8rcZH.png

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/index.html

There's 1 match earlier and then all the rest at the same time.

I have Fenerbahce, Celtic, and Dynamo Kiev's games scheduled. København and Basel aren't listed, despite them apparently having time to re-air Dynamo Kiev at Gladbach about 15 times on four different channels.

choodi

Banned
Oh, I've never bought sports paraphernalia and that isn't about to change.

In that case my only other advice is that glorious failure is far better than disappointment borne from expectation.

i.e. Don't be a glory hound and support some "massive" team that is expected to win. That shit is boring and only leads to frustration when your team losses to some crap team. See United/Liverpool from this round.

Support a smaller team and enjoy the unexpected successes. They are far sweeter and make for way more enjoyment. See Everton/West Brom

Wilbur

Banned
Manchester United line-up/formation was like a bad joke. Shameless Fergie.

I wouldn't say that. Carrick at CB was a necessity, unless we wanted to throw a player who has only played reserve football into a match at Goodison against Fellaini and watched their confidence hit rock bottom as they got fucked all around the pitch.

Welbeck on the left and Kagawa at RB could have been amended but apart from that, nothing wrong really.

Wessiej

I have Fenerbahce, Celtic, and Dynamo Kiev's games scheduled. København and Basel aren't listed, despite them apparently having time to re-air Dynamo Kiev at Gladbach about 15 times on four different channels.

You are going to watch them all? You just started watching this sport? Oh man. Dedicated.

Wilbur

Banned
That's what happens when you spend £24m on a striker when what you need is a central defender and a central midfielder.

And disregarding injuries (which is just bad luck of course), we don't need central defenders. We have five very good ones.

Mumei

That Barca book empty is talking about is very well written, love that Xavi considered going to Man Utd but obviously never did :p

Also I have a biography of Lionel Messi
(who is Barca's no. 10 and the best player in the world) which is very good as well. Has some great interviews with his former coaches who describe him as, and I'm paraphrasing here, "the most outstanding talent we've ever seen."

And they're right.

Yes, but what is it called? :p

Great to see Mumei get into football, its rare that we have a mod visit our sexy community.

I am still mildly surprised by the welcome given our previous (though short) history, but I do really appreciate it. I had been sort of half thinking about getting into it for awhile.

I really have no idea why anyone would watch those teams.

Well, see, I'm completely ignorant so I don't know how much I am punishing myself.

Wessiej

Yes, but what is it called? :p

I am still mildly surprised by the welcome given our previous (though short) history, but I do really appreciate it. I had been sort of half thinking about getting into it for awhile.

Well, see, I'm completely ignorant so I don't know how much I am punishing myself.

I went to Ajax-Celtic a couple of weeks ago, goddamn they were the worst team I have ever seen. It was good that there was a lot of beer there.

So glad I had Feliani and Howard in my fantasy team; the former got 10 points and the latter got 7 ;)

Oh and Baines, he got 9 :p

This is bullshit. De Gea did better than Howard, but because of that goal and Cleverley not finishing off that Shinji pass my fantasy team gets fuck all.

My fantasy team:
Cazorla doesn't get assist due to Giroud missing
Shinji doesn't get assist due to Cleverley missing
Silva misses penalty and scoring chance
Suarez misses all his chances
I could have sworn I subbed in Simpson for Coloccini but the site didn't recognize that
Fabio's team was wrecked 5-0

wtf man

My fantasy team was shit this week.

Meier

I don't know how people know this but apparently Mancini has called De Rossi personally and said "do you want to end up like Totti?"

Roll on 2pm tomorrow. I'm feeling less confident about it now but it would be good to know either way.

If he turns us down in public it tops off a disastrous window so far.

Bring back Gary Cook. He got a lot of stick for some of his antics but he got stuff done.

Assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised if it pans out. He's going to stick with his home club for life or most of it.. he's a del Piero.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
That's what happens when you spend £24m on a striker when what you need is a central defender and a central midfielder.
This reminds me of what happened to Barcelona last season. Alexis and Cesc are both great but they needed to strengthen other positions first.

I'm not saying it's going to happen to United.. BUT IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO US.

Wessiej

Even Douglas!

BTW speaking of Anita, does he burst forward into scoring positions or is he usually just hanging back defending? Does he make through balls? Does he get many assists?

Bit of both. Assist? Hmm, going to check that for you.

Well idk, less than 7. Fuck you anyway!

K1LLER7

This reminds me of what happened to Barcelona last season. Alexis and Cesc are both great but they needed to strengthen other positions first.

I'm not saying it's going to happen to United.. BUT IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO US.
Hope so. You took pogba, he was going to be our solution.

Still bitter :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The CL preliminary rounds are for the hardcore only. The quality isn't that high usually, I'd wait for the group stages!

The CL preliminary rounds are for the hardcore only. The quality isn't that high usually, I'd wait for the group stages!

I love how the group stages just as the nights start to darken to the point where it's pitch black and freezing for the final group games. Nice and warm in the house while the best teams in Europe go at it for qualification. Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom