• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

I saw someone post earlier that Scholes should retire and I absolutely agree. We don't gain anything at all by fielding a 38yo in the heart of our midfield especially if he's going to turn in performances like last night. He doesn't have the pace or the stamina anymore. Might as well let Anderson have his run and see what he can do.

Also if Scholes hadn't been brought back last season and Pogba was given his chance, he might even still be playing for us now.

Mumei

It's really awesome how much you're trying to get into football. Good on you man!

I like it already. I have never really enjoyed team sports before but I had thought for awhile this might be something I'd like. It takes away the things I dislike about (American) football; too much standing around doing nothing, and the action taking place in short bursts with constant breaks in between. It also takes away the biggest problem I have with basketball, which is mostly that there's so many points scored that I just stop giving a shit. And replaces it with near constant movement and action and goals that are infrequent enough and hard won enough to be exciting when they happen. I also feel sort of like something inherent about the sport that forces a level of teamwork that is more "visible" to a casual observer like myself (where I'm sure just as much is going on in the two sports I just mentioned, but it isn't visible to me), whereas in this I feel like I can appreciate it more.

And like I said, I had thought for awhile I might like it. I just hadn't gotten up the motivation to ask where to get started before.

Only 2 months till you will find a team to support and then you will hate everyone else and call the referee a c**t, it's a natural process <3

Hahahaha

Fry

Late but better than never! Bayern's goals from todays game:

i689ySunf7e6n.gif

ibzkTIVvyNmhai.gif

iJaSnS3XyFWsJ.gif

irhwL7kb6v0Nk.gif

ivLQTL0XmpG7D.gif

Mumei, I saw that you have Aston Villa at West Ham United set to record. As a Villa fan, let me warn you that that game is not an example of a good game. Ugly on both sides, with a confusing goal, and a team that parks the bus in front of goal as soon as they scored (it didn't help that Villa is creatively bankrupt in the final third). You could youtube U17 games that will make you love the game more than the Villa game from Saturday.

With that said, you should support Aston Villa. We won Europe
before I was born
!!!

LegoArmo

Fell asleep at the end of the Everton - United game. Seems like I didn't miss much. Some observations:

• How good is Fellaini? I'll come back to this.
  • Rooney looks in poor form and perhaps even somewhat unfit. He tried to force the issue, stepping on Kagawa's toes and coming too deep once too often, forgetting his duty to stretch Everton's back-line. RVP has to start upfront against Fulham, surely. Nani - on the other hand - had a total shocker. I can't believe I was actually hoping for Young, or anyone really, to come on and replace him.
  • United has to build the team around Kagawa. Most everything good came about because of him.
  • But United also needs to sort out its inchorence; that is, one set of players is playing one way (distribute wide, cautious probing, play it to Scholes) and another set seem frustrated that quick, short balls aren't being released to their intelligent runs (Shinji, Cleverley, RVP when he came on, even Welbeck) through the center of the pitch. I don't think it's a lack of technical ability or vision, it's simply a clash of styles, habit and confidence. Fergie needs to get these players on the same wavelength and producing more fluid play. I have faith it will come in time and I know which system I'd prefer - see: previous point.
  • I love Scholes but this wasn't the game for him. Everton's pressing was outstanding. I thought playing a three would be enough but I was wrong. Our inability to cover for his static presence contributed to quite exploitable flaws in the midfield battle. While Vidic was shutting down Jelavic, Fellaini was winning the ball off the striker with impunity - how many times did he get himself into space as Everton went into our half? Sacrilege to say it, but Anderson should have started instead.
  • Everton absolutely deserved their win. Organised brilliantly, unafraid to press and some rollicking play on the counter.
  • The universe doesn't want Cleverley to score.

I saw someone post earlier that Scholes should retire and I absolutely agree. We don't gain anything at all by fielding a 38yo in the heart of our midfield especially if he's going to turn in performances like last night. He doesn't have the pace or the stamina anymore. Might as well let Anderson have his run and see what he can do.

Also if Scholes hadn't been brought back last season and Pogba was given his chance, he might even still be playing for us now.

Maybe. But without Scholes, would we have come that close to winning the title? Don't disagree with the underlying point: he's a liability in high intensity games where the opposition can press with a midfield three. A fair percentage of PL teams don't play that way though. He's a good option to have against most of them.

We're agreed on Anderson too, it's time we either play him or move him on.

elsk

Banned
Maybe. But without Scholes, would we have come that close to winning the title? Don't disagree with the underlying point: he's a liability in high intensity games where the opposition can press with a midfield three. A fair percentage of PL teams don't play that way though. He's a good option to have against most of them.

We're agreed on Anderson too, it's time we either play him or move him on.

You ended up losing the league anyways, so playing Pogba would've been more rewarding. Fergie is stuck in the past, he should drop Giggs and Scholes already. Or at least Giggs.

LegoArmo

Scholes can still play but only if he has an energetic defensive midfielder next to him. Ferguson just doesn't seem to want to play that way though, so Scholes should remain an option off the bench for when we just want to keep possession (97% pass accuracy last night).

elsk

Banned
Scholes can still play but only if he has an energetic defensive midfielder next to him. Ferguson just doesn't seem to want to play that way though, so Scholes should remain an option off the bench for when we just want to keep possession (97% pass accuracy last night).

He surely can play, but he shouldn't be played ahead of young midfielders.

De Gea
Rafael - Vidic - any CB - Evra/Dutchguy
Carrick - Clev
Valencia - Kagawa - Nani
Rooney/RvP/Welbeck

Buying RvP was a stupid call.

You ended up losing the league anyways, so playing Pogba would've been more rewarding. Fergie is stuck in the past, he should drop Giggs and Scholes already. Or at least Giggs.

This is false equivalence. Fergie even played Rafael and Park, a defender and a winger, ahead of Pogba in midfield. If Fergie wanted to give Pogba a proper chance in the PL, he could have, with or without the presence of Scholes or Giggs. The latter is a red herring in particular: Giggs barely starts any games in the league these days so I have no idea why you're so pedantic about him.

elsk

Banned
This is false equivalence. Fergie even played Rafael and Park, a defender and a winger, ahead of Pogba in midfield. If Fergie wanted to give Pogba a proper chance in the PL, he could have, with or without the presence of Scholes or Giggs. The latter is a red herring in particular: Giggs barely starts any games in the league these days so I have no idea why you're so pedantic about him.

My point is Fergie making stupid decisions. Like the lineup he used today or buying RvP when the striker department was the best covered already.

Even Heynckes looks like a good coach next to him.

G17

I can't understand why Arsenal fans can't let it go. Why the prolonged obsession abuse? He is just not that important.

Not really sure. I guess since millions of Arsenal fans are on twitter, you are bound to get messages like those from the minority. Either way, I thought it was a neat insight into what Adebayor thinks and his claim about why he left Arsenal.

My point is Fergie making stupid decisions. Like the lineup he used today or buying RvP when the striker department was the only best covered already.

Won't disagree on the tactical side. That's never been his strong suit. Starting Scholes was a mistake.

You're wrong about RVP though. United have a fantastic assortment of forwards to play unfixed, flowing football. Unfortunately, they can't actually play that way together yet. The style displayed last night was as rigid as your thinking.

elsk

Banned
Won't disagree on the tactical side. That's never been his strong suit. Starting Scholes was a mistake.

You're wrong about RVP though. United have a fantastic assortment of forwards to play unfixed, flowing football. Unfortunately, they can't actually play that way together yet. The style displayed last night was as rigid as your thinking.

Buying RvP would've made sense without Kagawa. But with Kagawa on the squad, and playing him in his natural position, makes it almost impossible to play with more than 1 striker.

You basically can't play Rooney, Kagawa and RvP all at the same time unless you put one of them in the wing.

Buying RvP would've made sense without Kagawa. But with Kagawa on the squad, and playing him in his natural position, makes it almost impossible to play with more than 1 striker.

Exactly. Rigid. Shake reflected my thoughts on this perfectly the other day:

Shake Appeal said:
All the lineups I'm reading are predicated on the idea that Ferguson 'always' plays either a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1, but in reality he's proven far more flexible than that over the years, and arguably his finest hour, at least in this decade, was a fluid sort of 4-3-3 in which Rooney, Ronaldo, and Tevez were given loose reins: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/20/teams-of-the-decade-3-manchester-united-2006-09/

Rooney, Kagawa and Nani are all technical, quality players when in form and they should get to a stage where they're interchanging well behind RVP (or Welbeck), who can drop deeper or wider too. Don't forget the need for depth considering our history with injuries and I think you're looking at a three-dimensional situation from a two-dimensional perspective.

You basically can't play Rooney, Kagawa and RvP all at the same time unless you put one of them in the wing.

On the wing but drifting in. You saw Welbeck get two runs in on goal from Kagawa's service, even in that stop-start tactical display. Positioning is about constructing the best team possible, not the other way around. I don't view this positional crisis you've seized upon as the thing that will bring United's season unstuck, that's left to our passing game - our static fragility in midfield and in-cohesive play - and the never-ceasing spell of defensive injuries; hopefully that will all improve with time as the team gels together.

Soi-Fong

Fell asleep at the end of the Everton - United game. Seems like I didn't miss much. Some observations:

• Rooney looks in poor form and perhaps even somewhat unfit. He tried to force the issue, stepping on Kagawa's toes and coming too deep once too often, forgetting his duty to stretch Everton's back-line. RVP has to start upfront against Fulham, surely. Nani - on the other hand - had a total shocker. I can't believe I was actually hoping for Young, or anyone really, to come on and replace him.
  • United has to build the team around Kagawa. Most everything good came about because of him.
  • But United also needs to sort out its inchorence; that is, one set of players is playing one way (distribute wide, cautious probing, play it to Scholes) and another set seem frustrated that quick, short balls aren't being released to their intelligent runs (Shinji, Cleverley, RVP when he came on, even Welbeck) through the center of the pitch. I don't think it's a lack of technical ability or vision, it's simply a clash of styles, habit and confidence. Fergie needs to get these players on the same wavelength and producing more fluid play. I have faith it will come in time and I know which system I'd prefer - see: previous point.
  • I love Scholes but this wasn't the game for him. Everton's pressing was outstanding. I thought playing a three would be enough but I was wrong. Our inability to cover for his static presence contributed to quite exploitable flaws in the midfield battle. While Vidic was shutting down Jelavic, Fellaini was winning the ball off the striker with impunity - how many times did he get himself into space as Everton went into our half? Sacrilege to say it, but Anderson should have started instead.
  • Everton absolutely deserved their win. Organised brilliantly, unafraid to press and some rollicking play on the counter.

If there's anything I think Kagawa should have done, it's that he should've run at the defense a bit more. It's understandable that it's his debut game, but when the dumbasses around him choose to not make a run, he should've tried to take on defenses more just to get Everton players around him leaving some spaces open. His dribbling capability is superb enough to allow this.

He did it in Dortmund pulling defenders out of position.

elsk

Banned
On the wing but drifting in. You saw Welbeck get two runs in on goal from Kagawa's service, even in that stop-start tactical display. Positioning is about constructing the best team possible, not the other way around. I don't view this positional crisis you've seized upon as the thing that will bring United's season unstuck, that's left to our passing game - our static fragility in midfield and in-cohesive play - and the never-ceasing spell of defensive injuries; hopefully that will all improve with time as the team gels together.

Yeah, because it worked so well in the Germany NT playing Podolski out wide.
It will be interesting to see if Fergie can make it work, but I think he will end up benching someone (RvP, Rooney or Kagawa) or using Kagawa as CM. Playing strikers on the wing is stupid.

If there's anything I think Kagawa should have done, it's that he should've run at the defense a bit more. It's understandable that it's his debut game, but when the dumbasses around him choose to not make a run, he should've tried to take on defenses more just to get Everton players around him leaving some spaces open. His dribbling capability is superb enough to allow this.

He did it in Dortmund pulling defenders out of position.

I really felt sorry for him at times. Shinji tried being more expressive as the game opened. But Rooney and others were a step behind his creativity (although the two combined better in the second half) and missed out on supplying some very damaging runs. He kept it simple and you worry that he had to slow down to accommodate the team. Hopefully he can help pull our side into the next gear.

It will be interesting to see if Fergie can make it work, but I think he will end up benching someone (RvP, Rooney or Kagawa) or using Kagawa as CM. Playing strikers on the wing is stupid.

That's not a rule with universal application though, is it? I understand the reservations, but I think it comes down to the system and opposition being faced more than anything else. We won a CL title doing it after all.

Soi-Fong

I really felt sorry for him at times. Shinji tried being more expressive as the game opened. But Rooney and others were a step behind his creativity (although the two combined better in the second half) and missed out on supplying some very damaging runs. He kept it simple and you worry that he had to slow down to accommodate the team. Hopefully he can help pull our side into the next gear.

This is what's wrong. United has to step up in gear and keep up with him. He shines when the attack is fast and clean. He shouldn't have to slow down for the likes of Rooney and such when they're still stuck in summer.

FootballFan

True, but it does work sometimes, eg Henry, Eto'o and Villa. But I guess that is different since the system at Barca is different.

MPW

I love how the group stages just as the nights start to darken to the point where it's pitch black and freezing for the final group games. Nice and warm in the house while the best teams in Europe go at it for qualification. Brilliant.

group stages is pretty boring exluding one or two upsets and group of death

knockout round is where its at

elsk

Banned
group stages is pretty boring exluding one or two upsets and group of death

knockout round is where its at

I agree. Group of death was awesome last season. BAYERN!

True, but it does work sometimes, eg Henry, Eto'o and Villa. But I guess that is different since the system at Barca is different.

As you said, the systems are very different and Villa is pretty good on the wing. Would you play RvP out wide in the Barcelona lineup?

I don't remember when 4-3-3 has ever worked well for United in recent times.

Fëanor

Footie gaf, I know you love gifs! Sleeping Dogs time!! Don't worry I won't spam the thread.

sleepingdogsdrivesqu3y.gif

sleepingdogsdrivinghduaw.gif

Back to football, Mumei should totally join the ranks of Man United fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom