• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

Is punishing bad performances by dropping a player counter productive? Or is it more of a case by case basis?

Not really sure actually. At least in terms of Rooney today who was way out of it, Ferguson has to show him that he's no longer untouchable and that he'll also have to work for his place.

ElyrionX

This is false equivalence. Fergie even played Rafael and Park, a defender and a winger, ahead of Pogba in midfield. If Fergie wanted to give Pogba a proper chance in the PL, he could have, with or without the presence of Scholes or Giggs. The latter is a red herring in particular: Giggs barely starts any games in the league these days so I have no idea why you're so pedantic about him.

The problem is that Ferguson likes to start them in big games which, more often than not, turns out to be a bad decision. Just look at that decisive game against City last season. He continues to see the both of them as his trusted lieutenants and this has impeded the development of some of our promising youth.

ElyrionX

We didn't know that at the time. Scholes was great when he came back.

Sure, he was great. But how do you know Pogba wouldn't have been just as great? He was never given a chance to prove himself even when we were so utterly desperate for cover in central midfield in the middle of last season. As a young promising player, seeing something like that would definitely be disheartening. And then just a month or two later, we see a veteran 38yo legend come back to occupy the spot on the first team that someone like Pogba would covert. Of course, we'd be lucky to hang on to our youth talents.

It's the same with Evra. He's been so shit for so long and yet Fabio doesn't get a good run to build his confidence and experience despite showing glimpses of billiance sporadically.

Zabojnik

"Berlusconi is promising huge signings worthy of Milan on friday, Kaka and Sahin" same source that reported Pazzinis signing a couple of days ago.

I refuse to believe.

You better believe it. Told you so. Galliani redeemed!

Fiorentina are kiiiiiinda interested in Berbatov, could this hint at anything regarding Jovetic? paging juve-gaf

No.
:( He's going to City, once De Rossi makes it clear he's staying.

Oh shit, I just found out that our very talented CB Koray Günter doesn't have Reza Fazeli (Sahin's agent) as agent as was rumored. He just turned 18 and somehow it's not allowed to name the agent publicly before that in Germany. That's fantastic news, he can actually become a first team player without me worrying he'll join Real a year later now :)

"I'm available."

PORTRREDraiola2.jpg

Mumei, I guarantee you'll become a Newcastle fan if you watch the Newcastle vs Arsenal 4-4 game.

I'll bet my account on it.

Listen to this man.

rodvik

Fell asleep at the end of the Everton - United game. Seems like I didn't miss much. Some observations:

• How good is Fellaini? I'll come back to this.
  • Rooney looks in poor form and perhaps even somewhat unfit. He tried to force the issue, stepping on Kagawa's toes and coming too deep once too often, forgetting his duty to stretch Everton's back-line. RVP has to start upfront against Fulham, surely. Nani - on the other hand - had a total shocker. I can't believe I was actually hoping for Young, or anyone really, to come on and replace him.
  • United has to build the team around Kagawa. Most everything good came about because of him.
  • But United also needs to sort out its inchorence; that is, one set of players is playing one way (distribute wide, cautious probing, play it to Scholes) and another set seem frustrated that quick, short balls aren't being released to their intelligent runs (Shinji, Cleverley, RVP when he came on, even Welbeck) through the center of the pitch. I don't think it's a lack of technical ability or vision, it's simply a clash of styles, habit and confidence. Fergie needs to get these players on the same wavelength and producing more fluid play. I have faith it will come in time and I know which system I'd prefer - see: previous point.
  • I love Scholes but this wasn't the game for him. Everton's pressing was outstanding. I thought playing a three would be enough but I was wrong. Our inability to cover for his static presence contributed to quite exploitable flaws in the midfield battle. While Vidic was shutting down Jelavic, Fellaini was winning the ball off the striker with impunity - how many times did he get himself into space as Everton went into our half? Sacrilege to say it, but Anderson should have started instead.
  • Everton absolutely deserved their win. Organised brilliantly, unafraid to press and some rollicking play on the counter.
  • The universe doesn't want Cleverley to score.

1.) Kawaga is terrifying, Vidic is back and in top form.
2.) SAF should have worried about buying more defenders.
3.) RVP cant be judged on a bit appearance, clearly not up to speed yet. Really he shouldnt have been subbed on, he was essentially a wasted player.
4.) Everton narrowly won that game. If I was a ManU fan I wouldnt worry too much yet.
5.) Everton looked great, they play us on Saturday, we should start worrying now.
6.) Anderson, pies.

Soi-Fong

1.) Kawaga is terrifying, Vidic is back and in top form.
2.) SAF should have worried about buying more defenders.
3.) RVP cant be judged on a bit appearance, clearly not up to speed yet. Really he shouldnt have been subbed on, he was essentially a wasted player.
4.) Everton narrowly won that game. If I was a ManU fan I wouldnt worry too much yet.
5.) Everton looked great, they play us on Saturday, we should start worrying now.
6.) Anderson, pies.

2 things I don't agree with. Clearly, Vidic is not in top form and actually looked a bit lightweight from his usual self which is understandable.

2nd, we don't need any more defenders. It's just our goddamn luck that our 4 main defenders is out injured.

ElyrionX

2 things I don't agree with. Clearly, Vidic is not in top form and actually looked a bit lightweight from his usual self which is understandable.

2nd, we don't need any more defenders. It's just our goddamn luck that our 4 main defenders is out injured.

Agreed on both points.

rodvik

I thought Vidic looked very good. The problem is he was paired with a midfielder.
I suppose there is bad luck with your injuries, but surely SAF should have done something about it? Hell even a loan or something. Starting the season that thin at the back is inviting trouble.

Soi-Fong

I thought Vidic looked very good. The problem is he was paired with a midfielder.
I suppose there is bad luck with your injuries, but surely SAF should have done something about it? Hell even a loan or something. Starting the season that thin at the back is inviting trouble.

Really, what screwed us over was Ferdinand getting injured in training or so it was said. He just had to get injured a day or two before our opener. Evans and in some case Jones were all in line to get back.

Like I said, just our luck.

And as for Vidic, he can clearly play better than he did. Though, really in corners he was practically the lone man covering the whole effin box. Carrick is not meant to be in CB.

rodvik

Really, what screwed us over was Ferdinand getting injured in training or so it was said. He just had to get injured a day or two before our opener. Evans and in some case Jones were all in line to get back.

Like I said, just our luck.

And as for Vidic, he can clearly play better than he did. Though, really in corners he was practically the lone man covering the whole effin box. Carrick is not meant to be in CB.

Honestly mate. I wouldnt be relying on Rio as a first team player. I think he is shot. And when defenders go, well, they go fast you know? He needs replacing.

Predictions for tomorrow's champions league:

Spartak Moscow 2 v Fenerbahce 1
Borussia Monchengladbach 1 v Dynamo Kiev 1
FC Basel 2 v CFR Cluj-Napoca 0
FC Copenhagen 1 v Lille 2 (Sorry WoodenLung)
Helsingborg 0 v Celtic 2

I usually always cheer for Russian teams in Europe but for Spartak I make a special exception. Fuck Myaso.

Soi-Fong

Honestly mate. I wouldnt be relying on Rio as a first team player. I think he is shot. And when defenders go, well, they go fast you know? He needs replacing.

The ones Fergie have in line to replace him are injured. Both Evans and Jones are the ones in line to replace him, but as of now, he is still our best defender alongside Vidic. Maybe next transfer window we can try to buy Hummels off Dortmund, but I know he just signed a new contract.

rodvik

The ones Fergie have in line to replace him are injured. Both Evans and Jones are the ones in line to replace him, but as of now, he is still our best defender alongside Vidic. Maybe next transfer window we can try to buy Hummels off Dortmund, but I know he just signed a new contract.

That would be good. Yeah your next string, when not injured are fine enough players for sure.

bjaelke

Predictions for tomorrow's champions league:

Spartak Moscow 2 v Fenerbahce 1
Borussia Monchengladbach 1 v Dynamo Kiev 1
FC Basel 2 v CFR Cluj-Napoca 0
FC Copenhagen 1 v Lille 2 (Sorry WoodenLung)
Helsingborg 0 v Celtic 2

I usually always cheer for Russian teams in Europe but for Spartak I make a special exception. Fuck Myaso.

0-5

They tied with us over the weekend. Not a chance they'll go through.

Manager

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19327135?

Seems like the Sinclair bid is confirmed after yesterday's rumours:
Swansea City first-team coach Alan Curtis says that Scott Sinclair could soon be on his way to Manchester City.

The wing, 23, has told Swansea he will not sign a new contract and Curtis thinks the move will happen before the transfer window closes on 31 August.

"He's... not really interested in signing a new contract and I think Man City have made a bid," Curtis said.

"So it's just a matter of time now before it happens and it's good for both parties."

Hmm. HMMM. Not sure how he compares to AJ. Can't say I've ever seen AJ perform well for 90 minutes, ever, though, so maybe Sinclar can take over his position well enough as an impact sub.

Rumoured £5m.

Soi-Fong

Is Sleeping Dogs basically GTA: Hong Kong? I might pick it up when it comes down in price.

Pick it up now! It's soooo good and better than GTA!! Heck even better than SR3 which I thought was the epitome of how open-world games should be.

It deserves support and hopefully it gets a sequel.

choodi

Banned
Quiet you. Its unbearable enough seeing you lot thriving on the pitch, leave the rest of us small comforts :)

Gotta make hay while the sun shines! :)

It wasn't too long ago that you lot were laughing at us when you relegated us on the final day. If I remember correctly, you guys were towards the top half of the table back then.

Still, it could be worse...you could be a ManU or Chelsea fan, then we could really talk about plastic fans.

Soi-Fong

It wasn't too long ago that you lot were laughing at us when you relegated us on the final day. If I remember correctly, you guys were towards the top half of the table back then.

Still, it could be worse...you could be a ManU or Chelsea fan, then we could really talk about plastic fans.

That account more for Chelsea really after their champions league win. Soo many plastic fans wore Chelsea jerseys in my University after they won.

The ones with the most plastic fans though has to be Barcelona.. I swear I've talked to too many individuals trying to act like they've been following Barca all their lives.

Sappy113

1.)

They did at that. But! The problems on display yesterday though, was, to an extent, an extension of problems on display last season as well. Especially in midfield. Central midfield is not good enough to take control of a game, defense as a whole has a lot of problems handling a physical playstale and pressure high on the pitch.

Add to that an anemic offense - the part that's supposed to carry the team - and there might be more problems on the horizon.

Given, the offensive problems are most likely down to rust. Rooney looked off, van Persie just joined the team and the whole offensive nucleus needs to get used to playing together and moving to give Kagawa the right options for the decisive pass.

But last year, it took 89 points for a title. It'll probably take something close to that this season as well. 89 points is only 25 off the max available, so there's not a lot of wiggle room for fucking up too much. Think Chelsea are going to be in the thick of things this season as well, so the last thing United want is dig an early hole.

rodvik

lol, true. Enjoy the good times man!

choodi

Banned
The ones with the most plastic fans though has to be Barcelona.. I swear I've talked to too many individuals trying to act like they've been following Barca all their lives.

Agreed! My girlfriend's family are just like that. Spain and Barca 4lyfe! Doesn't work when there are photos on Facebook wearing Madrid shirts!

rodvik

They did at that. But! The problems on display yesterday though, was, to an extent, an extension of problems on display last season as well. Especially in midfield. Central midfield is not good enough to take control of a game, defense as a whole has a lot of problems handling a physical playstale and pressure high on the pitch.

Add to that an anemic offense - the part that's supposed to carry the team - and there might be more problems on the horizon.

Given, the offensive problems are most likely down to rust. Rooney looked off, van Persie just joined the team and the whole offensive nucleus needs to get used to playing together and moving to give Kagawa the right options for the decisive pass.

But last year, it took 89 points for a title. It'll probably take something close to that this season as well. 89 points is only 25 off the max available, so there's not a lot of wiggle room for fucking up too much. Think Chelsea are going to be in the thick of things this season as well, so the last thing United want is dig an early hole.

All true. But you can rely on City to stumble for a bit of the season, just like last year. They didnt exactly have a stellar opening game either and (fingers crossed its not that bad) but they have their own injury problems to worry about. Chelsea are the wild card I agree although I wouldnt discount Arsenal. Wenger is an excellent manager and he has bought well this summer I think.

Buying RvP would've made sense without Kagawa. But with Kagawa on the squad, and playing him in his natural position, makes it almost impossible to play with more than 1 striker.

You basically can't play Rooney, Kagawa and RvP all at the same time unless you put one of them in the wing.

4-3-3 ? - https://bitly.com/TKa5wV

but your spot on about RvP being a needless signing after Kagawa. RvP is like a trophy player and the money would have been better invested in a central midfielder.

Someone like Moutinho, Modric, Tiote or Sandro but these are functional players and aren't as exciting as RvP or Lucas. If Carrick picked up a long term injury they would struggle to keep pace at the top.

Soi-Fong

Agreed! My girlfriend's family are just like that. Spain and Barca 4lyfe! Doesn't work when there are photos on Facebook wearing Madrid shirts!

lol Actually got my girlfriend into United after I've talked about them for so long that she has started watching matches with me and started getting the intricacies of football.

All true. But you can rely on City to stumble for a bit of the season, just like last year. They didnt exactly have a stellar opening game either and (fingers crossed its not that bad) but they have their own injury problems to worry about. Chelsea are the wild card I agree although I wouldnt discount Arsenal. Wenger is an excellent manager and he has bought well this summer I think.

If City will struggle, it's going to be in January or as soon as Yaya pisses off for ACON. I don't think many understand just how important he is to our style of play.

Mumei, if you're looking for a team to support, go with Tottenham or Newcastle. You avoid the 'bandwagon' tag from supporting a top 4 side but you're still a good chance of witnessing some success because both are very well run, solid clubs.

GorillaJu

If City will struggle, it's going to be in January or as soon as Yaya pisses off for ACON. I don't think many understand just how important he is to our style of play.

Mumei, if you're looking for a team to support, go with Tottenham or Newcastle. You avoid the 'bandwagon' tag from supporting a top 4 side but you're still a good chance of witnessing some success because both are very well run, solid clubs.

IMO just let him watch and enjoy it as a neutral. Eventually he'll find a club he gravitates towards and associates with. Telling him what team to support is a bit strange. There should be a little bit of romanticism in this decision, don't you think?

choodi

Banned

Be careful using the words success and Newcastle too closely together!

The last time we won anything was in 1969.

No the Intertoto Cup and Championship trophies mean nothing

IMO just let him watch and enjoy it as a neutral. Eventually he'll find a club he gravitates towards and associates with. Telling him what team to support is a bit strange. There should be a little bit of romanticism in this decision, don't you think?

I guess, but it's hard to find much romanticism aside from the top 4 at the moment. In terms of coverage, brand, culture, it's hard to look beyond the top 5 or 6 and envision much success and enjoyment at an overseas fan level.

Does anyone know of any good football highlights video sites? Footytube seems to have gone legit and 101 always seems to have awful quality videos. Is there somewhere else I'm missing out on?

GorillaJu

I guess, but it's hard to find much romanticism aside from the top 4 at the moment. In terms of coverage, brand, culture, it's hard to look beyond the top 5 or 6 and envision much success and enjoyment at an overseas fan level.

Does anyone know of any good football highlights video sites? Footytube seems to have gone legit and 101 always seems to have awful quality videos. Is there somewhere else I'm missing out on?

I've only been a fan for a few years now, but I fell in love with Liverpool when the fans started singing YNWA during half time in 2005 in Istanbul. I'll never forget the commentators

"Liverpool supporters trying to lift the team by sheer fan power alone"

Wonderful club. There's definitely romanticism in the game, still, no matter how hard Chelsea and City try to take it out. :p

dc89

Mcfc.co.uk

The worlds greatest.

Sloosha

I've only been a fan for a few years now, but I fell in love with Liverpool when the fans started singing YNWA during half time in 2005 in Istanbul. I'll never forget the commentators

"Liverpool supporters trying to lift the team by sheer fan power alone"

Wonderful club. There's definitely romanticism in the game, still, no matter how hard Chelsea and City try to take it out. :p

But I thought it was extremely romantic when John Terry hoisted up the Champions League Trophy.

pappe

Sometimes i feel Arsene and SAF are so similar.

Both constantly overlook the problems they have in their side.
Both like playing players out of their preferred positions.
both have to manage with a ton of injuries every year.
Yet both of them push their players to perform out of their skin and are always near the top.

And both of them something against having a proper midfield enforcer or a DM in their playing 11 even when Barca and RM who have the best squads in the world have world class DMs in their side who let others push forwards while providing cover defensively.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Llorente's agent says a PL switch is possible and that one Manchester team and one London team are interested. Hopefully Aguero is OK so they don't need to buy him.

Llorente getting on the end of Bale's crosses...

Sappy113

It should NEVER be like that.

Not after last season when there were at least 2 games where we were ridiculously complacent which cos us the title.

What if we lose the title on GD again? There should not be a single week this season when the players are complacent or slacking. It's just not on and I'm kinda amazed we played like that today...I really thought we'd be so up for it. Was shit.

It's especially mind-numbing when you consider how many players have harped on about wanting to set things right this season. SAF have beat into the heads of the players that they'll learn from what happened last season and to use that experience as fuel.

Not one thing really seemed to have registered with the players, judging from that fairly massive lack of real commitment. I've always said this: losing happens to every team. But if you lose, without giving everything and leaving the field bruised and bloodied, you fucking fail. And that should be unacceptable to any pro athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom