• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm going to steal this template:

Clubs I adore: Manchester United
Other clubs I follow: Athletic Bilbao, Roma, Juventus, Sutton United, Newcastle
Clubs I am fond of, but of which I would not consider myself a fan: Fulham, Everton, Real Madrid, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Southampton, Blackpool, Wigan, Swansea
Clubs that were once or are still rivals, but for which I have grudging respect: Arsenal, Bayern Munich
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: West Ham, Leeds, Inter Milan
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: Barcelona
Clubs I despise: Liverpool, Man City

Jabo

Sources saying the promised Galliani strike is
Quagliarella

iknp6.gif

Jabo

I think for this to happen, Tottenham will have to get one of Llorente or Adebayor, City will have to get Jovetic, and Aguero's injury will have to be less than a month.

At which point, Chelsea or PSG will outbid us.

Well things sure are going that way for now.

No one wants Dzeko except us and Juve, and we shot ourselves in the foot by signing Zapata so the coast is clear for you guys.

Didac Vilà will be injured for a couple of months. herewego.gif

Also:
Clubs I adore: Milan.
Other clubs I follow: Manchester United, Newcastle, Bayern Munich, Ajax.
Clubs I am fond of, but of which I would not consider myself a fan: Barcelona.
Clubs that were once or are still rivals, but for which I have grudging respect: Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool.
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: Udinese, Genoa.
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: PSG.
Clubs I despise: Inter, Napoli.

Arnie

I can't really hate any club other than United, I don't have enough hate left.

I dislike Spurs. I dislike all midland teams. I dislike Everton (although because of familial ties I care about them more than most, oddly).

I will never, ever support a second team though. That's a big faux pas in my book.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@Yurt

Dzeko
Aguero
Higuain
Robin Van Persie
Jovetic
Pazzini
Llorente
Dzeko (2)
Damiao

The only option left is paying Jovetic's buyout clause. But since Conte and Marotta went all "value for money" on us, that's clearly not an option.

Unless Llorente is going to City? Which means we can bid for Dzeko?

Salvadora

I dislike Spurs. I dislike all midland teams. I dislike Everton (although because of familial ties I care about them more than most, oddly).

I will never, ever support a second team though. That's a big faux pas in my book.

I feel the same way. I could watch other teams but I find it hard to imagine myself supporting them.

Looks like QPR have agreed a deal with Tottenham for Michael Dawson. Close to £10million.
That's a lot, Is it not?

Meier

Can anyone who has bought a Soccer Triads shirt weigh in? Amazon US has some (what are quite obviously) knock-offs for sale that have received good reviews and are cheap ($60 shipped for a shirt and shorts). I emailed them asking about the sizing since they have "Medium" etc for City's stuff. Does this seem like it may be the same as Soccer Triads?

Here is the size chart:

Size S : Shirt Length 70cm ; Shirt Width 50cm
Size M : Shirt Length 72cm ; Shirt Width 52cm
Size L : Shirt Length 75cm ; Shirt Width 54cm
Size XL : Shirt Length 78cm ; Shirt Width 56cm

Arnie

Not really sure selling Dawson is the right move. £10 million is a good chunk of money, and Spurs need it with the amount of rebuilding they've got to do, but can Caulker come in and perform to the same level as Dawson? Dawson's secretly been a great centre back for a few years now, he'll be missed I feel.

RaGe_pt

Funny game!
Clubs I adore: FC PORTO
Other clubs I follow: I follow the premier league and the spanish league but I don't support anyone but Porto.
Clubs I am fond of, but of which I would not consider myself a fan: None
Clubs that were once or are still rivals, but for which I have grudging respect: None
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: Arsenal (because they can't put their shit together, no other motive.)
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: PSG.
Clubs I despise: Benfica, Benfica and Benfica too. Oh and Sporting as well.

Wilbur

Banned

I follow Juve, Bilbao, Sutton, Newcastle as in I look out for their results and I want them to do well, but I couldn't be like Fady and love two clubs equally. That's just not on

PJX

Same here. I hate United and majority of their fans so much that I don't have anymore hate left for any other team. The only other team I really can't stand is Stoke, but I'd rather see United burn into a fiery hell before Stoke.

With Norwich, I lived there for a year; with Palermo and Pro Vercelli, they were both particularly great FM saves. And when I say 'follow', I mean I check their results and hope they do well unless it would hurt Juventus (which, with the exception of Palermo, is never). I wouldn't watch their matches unless they happened to be on.

Slizz

Can anyone who has bought a Soccer Triads shirt weigh in? Amazon US has some (what are quite obviously) knock-offs for sale that have received good reviews and are cheap ($60 shipped for a shirt and shorts). I emailed them asking about the sizing since they have "Medium" etc for City's stuff. Does this seem like it may be the same as Soccer Triads?

Here is the size chart:

Triads:

40" S
42" M
44" L
46" XL

But it seriously varies from ST depending on brand. My Adidas RM kit from ST is tighter than the 2 Nike ones I got.

dc89

Clubs I adore: Manchester City
Other clubs I follow: Manchester City
Clubs I am fond of, but of which I would not consider myself a fan: Barcelona.
Clubs that were once or are still rivals, but for which I have grudging respect: Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Juventus
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: Everton
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: QPR.
Clubs I despise: Stoke

Hixx

clubs I like: Sunderland
clubs i hate: the skunks
clubs i thoroughly dislike: leeds, millwall, coventry
annoying: west ham, boro, stoke

dc89

Here is the size chart:

Triads:

40" S
42" M
44" L
46" XL

But it seriously varies from ST depending on brand. My Adidas RM kit from ST is tighter than the 2 Nike ones I got.

I've got a few things from Triads now and I always go for the small. I'm just average build really, 12.5 stone roughly. If you like I can put one on and take a pic to give you a idea of the fit?

Arnie

With Norwich, I lived there for a year; with Palermo and Pro Vercelli, they were both particularly great FM saves. And when I say 'follow', I mean I check their results and hope they do well unless it would hurt Juventus (which, with the exception of Palermo, is never). I wouldn't watch their matches unless they happened to be on.

Football Manager's a funny one. I've only started playing it recently, but it is hard not to graft some form of real life affection for the club you're managing, if only because you feel like you know the staff, it's players, and it's fans inside out. It's a really strange feeling.

Last year I rooted for Juventus whenever the results came in, if only because I saw parallels to Liverpool with how they dropped out of the spotlight and rebuilt, plus I loved the stadium; but now I'd find it hard to root for them over Napoli because I've been managing Napoli in FM. And I'm well aware that Napoli are a pretty detestable club.

Truly odd.

qindarka

Banned
Might as well get it on the act which I inadvertently started:

Clubs I adore: Chelsea
Other clubs I follow: None
Clubs I am fond of, but of which I would not consider myself a fan: Bayern, Everton
Clubs that were once or are still rivals, but for which I have grudging respect: None
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: Arsenal, Tottenham
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: None
Clubs I dislike: Manchester United, Liverpool, Barcelona

Really can't muster strong feelings for other clubs, especially given that I don't watch many non-Chelsea matches due to the awful time differences. Occasionally have soft-spot for other clubs but this always changes.

Hixx

Also Brian Marwood should do what any self-respecting SAFC fan would do and tell Liverpool and Spurs to fuck off about AJ.

Jezbollah

Clubs I adore: Newcastle United
Other clubs I follow: Southend United, Stevenage, Bishops Stortford
Clubs I am fond of, but of which I would not consider myself a fan: Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter, Juventus.
Clubs that were once or are still rivals, but for which I have grudging respect: Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Man Utd
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: Chelsea
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: Liverpool
Clubs I despise: S*nderland, Middlesborough, Colchester United, Luton Town, Harlow Town

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not really sure selling Dawson is the right move. £10 million is a good chunk of money, and Spurs need it with the amount of rebuilding they've got to do, but can Caulker come in and perform to the same level as Dawson? Dawson's secretly been a great centre back for a few years now, he'll be missed I feel.

Dawson is a good player but he has only been great next to Ledley King. He has had massive injury problems and is probably the least suited of our CBs to AVBs system. I will be very sad to see him go as he loves the club and fights to the death, but Caulker is the future and with Kaboul, Vertonghen and Gallas on the books we would be foolish to turn down £10m for him. he deserves to play every week and that can never happen for him with us.

My club feelings:
Adore: Spurs
Soft spot for: Everton, Leeds, Huddersfield
Loathe with all my soul: Chelsea, Chelseas Reserves, Chelsea's Academy Players

I don't know if I even really hate Liverpool. Obv I don't like them and if they lose that's great but I don't really see a need to "hate" them. Like I don't even wish relegation upon them, that's just sad. Obv if I had to pick between them doing well and getting relegated I'd go with the latter.

In that little list Liverpool would be the club I dislike the most and go in the grudging respect category. It's a great club with a rich history and passionate fans, I don't like them but I don't let that cloud my eyes too much.

You meet people who say they hate everything about a club, everything it stands for, all the players, the manager, the fans the city, everything. Makes no sense to me. Basically guilty by association.

Kyoufu

Clubs I adore: Newcastle United
Other clubs I follow: Southend United, Stevenage, Bishops Stortford
Clubs I am fond of, but of which I would not consider myself a fan: Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter, Juventus.
Clubs that were once or are still rivals, but for which I have grudging respect: Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Man Utd
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: Chelsea
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: Liverpool
Clubs I despise: S*nderland, Middlesborough, Colchester United, Luton Town, Harlow Town

Wow a wild Newcastle fan appears! Welcome!

WJD

Other clubs I follow/like to see do well: Lincoln City, Burton Albion
Clubs I am fond of, but of which I would not consider myself a fan: Southampton, Juventus
Clubs that were once or are still rivals, but for which I have grudging respect: Arsenal, Liverpool
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: Bolton, Barcelona, Real Madrid, City
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: PSG
Clubs I despise: Liverpool, Stoke

Salvadora

The final part of Arsenal's summer redesign is due to be completed today with the arrival of Nuri Sahin on loan from Real Madrid.

The 23-year-old midfielder – a Turkey international born in Germany who made his name with home-town club Borussia Dortmund – has struggled to impose himself at the Bernabeu since arriving last summer. But as he makes the opposite journey from Alex Song, exchanging Spain for England, Arsenal will endure no loss of class.

Replacing the Cameroon international with Sahin should mean a more stylish Arsenal side this season. Song was only nominally a defensive midfielder, able to push opponents off the ball with a shrug of his broad shoulders, but not always astute enough to stay close to them. Some of his best contributions at Arsenal, especially in recent seasons, were moments of quick flashes of inspiration.

But Sahin is different. He is an orchestrator, stitching the patterns of play from the heart of the midfield. He is much more authoritative than Song, happier to show for the ball and take responsibility for starting attacks. His passing, over long and short distances, is exceptional. He knows when to retain possession and when to risk it in pursuit of goals. Sahin's approach might be best described as Spanish, in terms of his care of the ball and imagination with it. He is not dissimilar from his new team-mates Santi Cazorla and Mikel Arteta, and they should be able to strike up the natural combinations which intelligent footballers can find in one another.

Although Sahin plays for Turkey due to his parents' heritage, he is German by birth, and has his football roots in the Bundesliga. Born in Lüdenscheid, he came through the ranks at Dortmund and became the youngest player ever to play in the German top flight before his 17th birthday in 2005.

He soon became a regular in midfield, before announcing himself as one of Europe's finest emerging talents in 2010/11 as Dortmund won their first title in nine years. Sahin contributed six goals and eight assists, and was rewarded with the German player of the season awards by both Kicker magazine and the German players' union. That was good enough to earn a move to Real Madrid on a six-year deal last summer, leaving Dortmund wondering how to replace him.

"Sahin exploded during 2010/11," German football journalist Ben Gladwell told The Independent. "So much so that the main question asked after his sale was how Dortmund would be able to defend their title without their key player, similar to questions now about Shinji Kagawa [who has recently joined Manchester United]."

Unfortunately at Madrid Sahin's route has been blocked by many assured midfielders – not least Mesut Ozil, of similar approach, heritage and age. "His style is like Ozil and, ironically, it is probably him keeping him out at Real," added Gladwell. "He's very technically gifted and plays the same position just behind the strikers or out wide, liking the ball at his feet and with a perpetual engine. He goes to get the ball rather than waiting for it to arrive. His goalscoring record is similar to Ozil's too and he probably should be getting more than he does, but creating goals is his real forte."

Real manager Jose Mourinho admitted recently that competition for places was driving Sahin out. "He's a young boy, he wants to play every match," Mourinho said. "In Real Madrid, the situation is not easy. When you don't start well, it is difficult to do it."

Perhaps it was just not the right time for him to establish himself there. But now at a team short of midfielders, who prioritise possession and are desperate to improve, he might have found his perfect place.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...missing-piece-in-arsenals-jigsaw-8063426.html
Right into my veins.

Arnie

Has Mario dyed his hair to match his sleeve patch?

No.

Another interesting observation, I'm slightly less fond of Juventus now than I was last season, if only because they've achieved success. Last year they were the underdogs, from an attitude perspective, and now they're without doubt the best team in Italy, by some margin. And that's without a top striker.

elseanio

Clubs I adore: Liverpool
Other clubs I follow: AFC Liverpool, Real Sociedad
Clubs I am fond of, but of which I would not consider myself a fan: Barcelona, Juventus, Tranmere Rovers, Borussia Monchengladbach
Clubs that were once or are still rivals, but for which I have grudging respect: Everton, Arsenal
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: Rea Madrid, Inter Milan
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: Stoke, Manchester City, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle
Clubs I despise: Manchester United

Arnie

Dawson is a good player but he has only been great next to Ledley King. He has had massive injury problems and is probably the least suited of our CBs to AVBs system. I will be very sad to see him go as he loves the club and fights to the death, but Caulker is the future and with Kaboul, Vertonghen and Gallas on the books we would be foolish to turn down £10m for him. he deserves to play every week and that can never happen for him with us.
I suppose the perfect outcome would've been to sell Gallas, who's getting on a bit now. You wouldn't get £10 million for him though, given his age, and that price is too great to pass up for a player who is considered a rotation player anyway.
You meet people who say they hate everything about a club, everything it stands for, all the players, the manager, the fans the city, everything. Makes no sense to me. Basically guilty by association.
Oops.

I'm going to steal this template:

Other clubs I follow: Athletic Bilbao, Roma, Juventus, Sutton United, Newcastle
Clubs I am fond of, but of which I would not consider myself a fan: Fulham, Everton, Real Madrid, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Southampton, Blackpool, Wigan, Swansea
Clubs that were once or are still rivals, but for which I have grudging respect: Arsenal, Bayern Munich
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: West Ham, Leeds, Inter Milan
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: Barcelona
Clubs I despise: Liverpool, Man City

Ew, Willbury! What is wrong with you?

Clubs I adore: Liverpool
Other clubs I follow take an interest in: Everton, Newcastle United, Leeds United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid
Clubs I am fond of, but do not consider myself a fan of: Swansea, Bristol City, Norwich, Tranmere Rovers
Clubs I find irritating, if not exactly contemptible: Manchester United, Stoke City, Chelsea (I will dislike Chelsea less when John Terry dies)
Clubs for which I have a growing dislike: N/A
Clubs I despise: N/A

Meier

Triads:

40" S
42" M
44" L
46" XL

Hmm.. I wonder if these (the ones on Amazon) are youth products then or something. I didn't even really think about the fact they mentioned cm. That's super tiny (22") for the XL! I would be a Triads small apparently.

Here is the Yaya Toure shirt and shorts. It does specify Adult small -- I'm usually a medium but I have to assume these guys are using the same products as ST or close to it so I'd be inclined to get the small.. hmm. http://amzn.com/B008T5STWO

Bo-Locks

Did Fergie seriously put Berbatov on the bench as cover for CB? That's why Hernandez didn't make the bench. Is there literally no centre backs in the reserves/youth that could deputise for one game?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sky reporting Ade deal almost done. I think there will be a lot of comings and goings at Spurs Lodge this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom