• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

So, QPR are on the verge of signing Carvalho and Dawson. they have made impressive signings this window.

I disagree. Seems like the same scattergun approach they employed in January - "oh, that player plays for a big club, he must be good" or " that player was good a few years back, let's bring him in". It's like the kind of strategy you see the big money clubs i.e. Man City, PSG, Anzhi, etc. employing, just signing loads of players because they can except on a much smaller budget. This approach can have some success simply due to the amount of players bought in, but its alot more expensive than a sane transfer approach and is not a good recipe for long-term success.

Choc

Banned
not to make light of the situation, but can any of them play football well? Their local team needs to sign a few decent players that are better then the park ones they have now :p

so sad for gaming :(

qindarka

Banned
I disagree. Seems like the same scattergun approach they employed in January - "oh, that player plays for a big club, he must be good" or " that player was good a few years back, let's bring him in". It's like the kind of strategy you see the big money clubs i.e. Man City, PSG, Anzhi, etc. employing, just signing loads of players because they can except on a much smaller budget. This approach can have some success simply due to the amount of players bought in, but its alot more expensive than a sane transfer approach and is not a good recipe for long-term success.

To be fair to Man City, they have improved on that recently as they gained enough clout to sign genuine world-class players.

Agreed with the rest though, reminds me sometimes of my transfer strategies on FM.

Salvadora

Arsenal defender André Santos arrested after 'high-speed car chase'

The Arsenal defender André Santos was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving a couple of miles from the club's training ground the day before their opening match of the season.

It is understood that the 29-year-old Brazilian was apprehended by officers who noticed a car being driven erratically by a driver who failed to stop.

The Sun reported a car was being driven at speeds of up to 130mph in a high-speed chase. It is thought that Santos, who was on the bench for the opener against Sunderland, was behind the wheel of a powerful sports car.

He was picked up by officers close to Arsenal's training ground in London Colney in Hertfordshire, just inside the M25.

A Metropolitan police spokesman said: "Shortly after 9.30am on Friday August 17, a 29-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and failing to stop for police on the A1, near to Junction 22 of the M25.

"Officers' attention was drawn to the vehicle due to the manner of its driving. The man has been bailed to return at a date in mid-September to a North London police station."

The man was not breathalysed, police added.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/22/arsenal-defender-andre-santos-arrested
What a fool.

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho believes that a move to Arsenal will improve Nuri Sahin as a player. The 23-year-old is set to join on a season-long loan with a view to a permanent transfer.

Just appeared on the BBC feed.

Salvadora

Maybe he was picking up Yossi from the Chelsea training ground?
I'd take Benayoun on loan again if I'm being honest.
Not gonna happen. If the likes of Joe Allen and Jordan Henderson are worth over 15m, Tiote is worth over 25m. Yeah yeah 20m is probably the price tag but still, Arsenal won't match that.
He won't have the english tax. We could use the Song money.

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho believes that a move to Arsenal will improve Nuri Sahin as a player. The 23-year-old is set to join on a season-long loan with a view to a permanent transfer.

Just appeared on the BBC feed.
I love it

Wes

venison crêpe
Who was the striker in that awesome gif where he misses an open goal, and then someone replaced his facial expression with various smileys?

If anyone has that gif, please post it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not gonna happen. If the likes of Joe Allen and Jordan Henderson are worth over 15m, Tiote is worth over 25m. Yeah yeah 20m is probably the price tag but still, Arsenal won't match that.

You may not have heard but Arsenal recently received £24m for selling some striker. I think it was Bendtner.

Carbonox

You may not have heard but Arsenal recently received £24m for selling some striker. I think it was Bendtner.

24m matters nawt. Even spending 20m is pushing it for Arsenal. That would make Tiote their most expensive purchase ever. If they do push that high, then kudos to them as it would be in line with their spree lately. I still don't see it happening though.

Moobabe

24m matters nawt. Even spending 20m is pushing it for Arsenal. That would make Tiote their most expensive purchase ever. If they do push that high, then kudos to them as it would be in line with their spree lately. I still don't see it happening though.

And they got a reported 15 for Song.

Zabojnik

Just read that Conte lost his appeal. Has any posted about it?

We posted something about it on the last two pages. It was expected, his real chance is at TNAS, where a second appeal will be made.

Meanwhile, and if true this is incredible ...

"Antonio Corsa ‏@antoniocorsa
Arrivano le prime indiscrezioni: per Novara-Siena accolte le dichiarazioni giurate dei 23. Carobbio non creduto sulla riunione tecnica."

Apparently the court believes what the 23 witnesses are saying. Conte never spoke about the match being fixed in that Albinoleffe - Siena technical meeting. Stellini, one of Conte's assistants, and Carobbio orchestrated the whole thing. Stellini admitted as much, but said Conte had nothing to do with it. So Carobbio was clearly lying about Conte and the meeting, but Conte is guilty anyway, because 'he couldn't have not known'. Stellini knew about it, so Conte must've too, because - and that's really what they wrote in the sentence document - 'Conte has a centralizing, a grouping personality.' Even though Stellini says the fixing was all his own and Carobbio's doing. Unbelievable.

A political trial, that's what this is.

sohois

Who was the striker in that awesome gif where he misses an open goal, and then someone replaced his facial expression with various smileys?

If anyone has that gif, please post it.

I don't have the gif, but I believe you're referring to Robinho when he played for Man City.

Salvadora

We posted something about it on the last two pages. It was expected, his real chance is at TNAS, where a second appeal will be made.

Meanwhile, and if true this is really incredible ...

"Antonio Corsa ‏@antoniocorsa
Arrivano le prime indiscrezioni: per Novara-Siena accolte le dichiarazioni giurate dei 23. Carobbio non creduto sulla riunione tecnica."

Apparently the court believes what the 23 witnesses are saying. Conte never spoke about the match being fixed in that Albinoleffe - Siena technical meeting. Stellini, one of Conte's assistants, and Carobbio orchestrated the whole thing. Stellini admitted as much, but said Conte had nothing to do with it. So Carobbio was lying about Conte and the meeting, but Conte is guilty anyway, because 'he couldn't have not known', since Stellini knew about it. Even though Stellini says he didn't.

A political trial, that's what this is.

He was expected to get a reduced sentence, Wasn't he?

Moobabe

Yeah but I'm sure Wenger knew he'd make some big money on RVP.

But I'm not sure anyone thought Barca stupid enough to make an offer like that for Song. And it's not like Arsenal don't have money available to them.

I don't think they'll move for Tiote - though he is the kind of player that they need.

Wessiej

Guys, this is amazing.

Büttner is kind of a 'gipsy', or how the hell you call it there in the UK. Anyhow, they had a party last night in his neigbourhood because of his transfer to ManU. Haha look at this shit!

Movie here: http://www.omroepgelderland.nl/web/Nieuws-1/1736881/Buurt-bouwt-feestje-voor-en-met-Buttner.htm (that guy to the right of him _O_ )

a525338e-c6c7-4510-a6cd-daa5518bf358_21-08-12_Buttner_microfoon.jpg

4112aa4c-582e-4c58-a81d-2b18f578e66b_21-08-12_Buurt%20wacht%20af%201.jpg

A05g8nDCUAEGnzX.jpg

A05hVk_CAAAMKfC.jpg

Zabojnik

He was expected to get a reduced sentence, Wasn't he?

Well, yeah, kind of. What happened is he was cleared of failing to report for Novara - Siena and confirmed guilty of the same for Albinoleffe - Siena. Incredibly (but not really, seeing how the whole thing is going) they then confirmed the 10 months ban regardless.

It's a joke.

fuenf

god damn it, looks like the Martinez transfer is about to fall apart :(
Hoeneß: 'Bilbao still blocks the transfer, it isnt looking good right not' :(

Fucking Bilbao

NEcxi.jpg

Salazar

It wouldn't be hard to look good when Evra is your main rival for a starting place.

I think even Patrice was puzzled when we kept shifting the ball in his direction. He needs to jog over to Scholes and say "look, I could be here for days and I wouldn't get a single decent cross over. Pack it in".

Choc

Banned
Mail is reporting sunderland is buying adam johnson clint dempsey Steven fletcher and danny rose on loan

seriously? wow :eek:

when did Sunderland get sold to Abramovich?

"Sunderland were the only team in the Barclays Premier League and Football League who failed to win a corner at the weekend.

Read more: http://www.*****************/sport/football/article-2191669/Sunderland-sign-Steven-Fletcher-Adam-Johnson-Clint-Dempsey-Danny-Rose.html#ixzz24H6hrf2r"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom