• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

At this point I don't think he has much of a chance. Martin Jol backtracked a bit on his comments about Clint refusing to play but I think it'd be tough for him to come back. For some reason there is a relative lack of interest apparently.

I honestly think the fact he's American isn't helping him in the market.

I can only guess age is the issue. He'd sell a lot of shirts in the US for Liverpool had they bought him.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Pato is injured again.

Obligatory:
frEl0.jpg

"He'll probably return to play against Parma" and he didn't.

K1LLER7

Twitter: Herrera deal very close, terms agreed.

Really hope we get this guy, looked decent at the Olympics and could give us what we miss in Midfield. Hes tall like Busquets, hope he plays like him too.
(Minus the diving)

Meier

Why?

Don't think that comes into it.

Fulham's price tag is probably the problem.

I think if he was English, he'd have been sold by now even at as much as £10m. He's a proven scorer and his output and play has improved with age. He has at least 2-3 seasons of top play left and would be as good or better of an option of nearly every team in the league.

GorillaJu

I think if he was English, he'd have been sold by now even at as much as £10m. He's a proven scorer and his output and play has improved with age. He has at least 2-3 seasons of top play left and would be as good or better of an option of nearly every team in the league.

If he was English he'd be being berated right now and called a traitor for not being able to reproduce his Fulham form for England in the Euros.

Also his body is in really good shape because he didn't run it into the ground as a youth player like most PL players do.

Ah okay. If he was English I agree, but I think that's more of a case of pro-English than anti-American.

Maybe it would be the same if he was Spanish or German or something...I dunno.

Hixx

Does anyone else weigh up the chances of a target signing by imagining them in your clubs kit and seeing how well it fits?

Just me? Ok, then...

WJD

Twitter: Herrera deal very close, terms agreed.

Really hope we get this guy, looked decent at the Olympics and could give us what we miss in Midfield. Hes tall like Busquets, hope he plays like him too.
(Minus the diving)

Who on twitter?

Meier

Ah okay. If he was English I agree, but I think that's more of a case of pro-English than anti-American.

Maybe it would be the same if he was Spanish or German or something...I dunno.

I think nationality definitely has an affect on the perceived value of a player. odd_morsel makes a good point about the fact that due to our system here (which quite frankly is usually a bit of a detriment), the players can probably play at a bit of a higher level for a longer period of time than some of the other established nations.

p.s. How did we have pages of great goals and not include the official Goal of the Year from last year?! One of the best bits of individual skill and effort I've ever seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUwVvyXkElY

GorillaJu

Chelsea vs Reading is later on right?

Finally the FPL week will end. Need some Mata and Ivan action and most importantly a red card for everyone's cap'n Fernando Torres.

I don't have the new jersey, and can't really afford to get it.

I probably should, though, because the years I have bought Juve jerseys have always ended with us winning the scudetto.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Looks fantastic Messi
Rx8MC.gif
Who's on the back?

And we cover the two stars with a black+white sticker ;) I'll show you later.

Shake Appeal said:
I don't have the new jersey, and can't really afford to get it.

I probably should, though, because the years I have bought Juve jerseys have always ended with us winning the scudetto.

Don't forget this then!

ChampionsLeague.jpg

Alduin

Here's my attempt at summing up the day's news in what I hope is a humorous style for my site (yes, it is vaguely nicked from The Guardian's Fiver):

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and any football related comments/criticisms will be put in tomorrow's version. Cheers!

I really like it although the addition of news from other major leagues would be awesome!

Sunderland, purchasers of Titus Bramble, Wes Brown and John O’Shea, part of Steve Bruce’s attempts to assemble the world’s slowest defence
:lol

Kyoufu

I hope not! I got tickets and am excited for my first game of the season! Plus I have seen us lose so much recently at the bridge :/

It probably won't happen with all your signings but if we rest enough of our first team tomorrow then it's possible!

Knowing us though, we'll get demolished by Hazard.

faridmon

haha thanks! beating man u in the prem has happened 3 times in the last 15 years? something like that anyway...

haha we'll see - villa park is a tough place to go but everton look like they are playing right where they left off from last season.

3 times in the last 11 years and Aston Villa are bogey team for Everton. I expect a drew or a loss there.

Fletcher for 13 million? Bloody hell, The over inflated British players continues. while he is alright, he isn't that good.

Danish people! We have signed Christian Poulsen, how good is he?

Lol

I'm not sure how he did at Evian, but he was truly dreadful for us. No hyperbole, probably the worst player I've seen play a fair few games for us. (Bear in mind I only started watching Liverpool games in 06/07)

Probably good enough for Ajax. He used to be class at both Sevilla and Schalke but his Juve and Liverpool performances weren't exactly great, at Evian he however was great and played a big part of them staying up. Defensive midfielder without any skills really going forward, can also play central defense.

He had talked about returning to Copenhagen when it looked like we would surely get into CL, guess missing it changed his mind, would have loved him back here. :(

faridmon

Probably good enough for Ajax. He used to be class at both Sevilla and Schalke but his Juve and Liverpool performances weren't exactly great, at Evian he however was great and played a big part of them staying up. Defensive midfielder without any skills really going forward, can also play central defense.

He had talked about returning to Copenhagen when it looked like we would surely get into CL, guess missing it changed his mind, would have loved him back here. :(

He used to be great pre-Juve times, but he lost his pace and his ability to locate and distribute the ball. Perhaps he is a confidence player and need the right manager to sort him out. I personally thought he performed rather admirably at the Euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom