• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappe

To me it seems like Madrid aren't interested in having a buy out clause (Like I said when Mourinho stated it in his press conference) and Arsenal are trying to get the clause in place holding up the move.

Now we are being mentioned to show Arsenal that it's a take it or leave it loan only with Sahin. Still fully expect the lad to be an Arsenal player soon.
United should swoop in and take Sahin on loan and make both of them look silly.

GorillaJu

To me it seems like Madrid aren't interested in having a buy out clause (Like I said when Mourinho stated it in his press conference) and Arsenal are trying to get the clause in place holding up the move.

Now we are being mentioned to show Arsenal that it's a take it or leave it loan only with Sahin. Still fully expect the lad to be an Arsenal player soon.

I think it looks like this:

Arsenal's appeal: +higher level talent to play with like Cesc Fabre... I mean Robin Va... err Santi Cazorla. Champion's League footy and London lifestyle.
-may have to play as defensive CM and LB

Liverpool's appeal: +play more often, play in preferred role
-unproven manager, certain to lose more games, less talent in the squad

For Sahin, I'm sure Arsenal would be more tempting. Mourinho probably doesn't care either way but trusts Rodgers, and Real Madrid as a club like Liverpool's offer better.

For development as a player, I'd be inclined to believe we offer the better option. He'd be given more of an opportunity to stand out as he'd get lots and lots of games and he'd play the same role he did at Dortmund as a playmaker.

I hate to say something because I know people love to save posts so they can quote later and say "haha you were wrong I told you so," but I'm going to forego the safe option and say we've got a good shot at signing Sahin on loan.

Yeah I see no reason to get the PC version.

With the PC release I am itching to jump back into the game. Dark Souls, Saint's Row the Third, Red Dead Redemption, and Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Assassin's Creed 2, Batman: Arkham City and maybe Call of Duty: Modern Warfare make up my favorite games this generation of consoles. Halo 3, Mirror's Edge, The Force Unleashed and Fallout 3 deserve mention as well. I quite enjoyed this generation.

Wes

venison crêpe
On Football Weekly Extra, the quoted percentage of QPR wages to turnover was insane. Just eye-wateringly insane.

And now I see that Cesar is going to sign for them? That does not sound sustainable. I know the TV money goes up this year but even still....

elsk

Banned

Arsenal's appeal: +higher level talent to play with like Cesc Fabre... I mean Robin Va... err Santi Cazorla. Champion's League footy and London lifestyle.

What do you think is his preferred role? He's a deep-lying playmaker. Arsenal uses the same formation as Real Madrid and Dortmund.

pappe

For Sahin, I'm sure Arsenal would be more tempting. Mourinho probably doesn't care either way but trusts Rodgers, and Real Madrid as a club like Liverpool's offer better.

For development as a player, I'd be inclined to believe we offer the better option. He'd be given more of an opportunity to stand out as he'd get lots and lots of games and he'd play the same role he did at Dortmund as a playmaker.

I hate to say something because I know people love to save posts so they can quote later and say "haha you were wrong I told you so," but I'm going to forego the safe option and say we've got a good shot at signing Sahin on loan.
It's hard to believe that Sahin is being a diva about and rejecting a loan move. Either one of the options he has on the table are better than his position at Madrid and if I were him I would pounce on the opportunity to play regularly at those teams. The fact that a UCL side is after should just seal the deal already.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Just from what I've read about the case, and mind you this is coming from a neutral to Serie A, it sounds like an absolute Mickey Mouse court. The punishments have been inconsistent, all the rulings are vague and nonsensical, and I hate to sound like a tin foil hat wearer but it does smack a tad of trying to "hunt the big game," so to speak. If Conte's Juve didn't win the scudetto last year, I can't imagine he'd get such a ridiculous sentence. Six months for one person's unsubstantiated claims?

THANK YOU BASED ODD.

Conte's presser was amazing. He does what my dad does, which is without really raising his voice he lets the anger seep into what he's saying.

Ma se non ho visto niente che devo denunciare?

I don't know if it was sad or hilarious. Seriously, how are you supposed to report something you didn't see?
cCHI3.gif
JN9XA.gif

We demand good news, Marotta!

Don't need to understand English to understand this. It's all about attitude.

Just to show some contrast, this is Conte when the allegations were starting to heat up. Soft spoken, able to laugh about the absurdity of the charges

Well, this is Conte now. The weight of the trial has taken its toll, evidently. Here he is mocking the fact that he's cleared of one failure to report a match fixing and yet his penalty remains the same. He goes on to say "the Juventus fans, no, ALL the fans need to see what they have done to me and are doing to me because it's a shame."

This is my favourite part Basically saying I've never bet before in my life, and you want me to denounce a match you say I fixed? But if I didn't see anything what do you want me to denounce? Do you want me to invent a denunciation?!

If we were humble last season, going about our business with quiet determination, I think Conte's presser shows that this Juventus is going to be very fucking different.

Zabojnik

Conte's presser was amazing. He does what my dad does, which is without really raising his voice he lets the anger seep into what he's saying.

Ma se non ho visto niente che devo denunciare?

"If I was Conte's son, I'd be afraid to come home tonight." Haha. However this farce ends, all I can say is I fear for our Serie A opponents. Knowing Conte, this will only increase his determination and lust for victory tenfold. So, in a really perverse and retarded way, thanks, FIGC.

EDIT: Beaten by fade, as usual. :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"If I was Conte's son, I'd be afraid to come home tonight." Haha. However this farce ends, all I can say is I fear for our Serie A opponents. Knowing Conte, this will only increase his determination and lust for victory tenfold. So, in a really perverse and retarded way, thanks, FIGC.

I hope all of this pisses off Marotta too and he ends up spending 100 million on strikers.

Sahin's case just proves how important it is to have a responsible agent....With his 10M euros clause last year he could move to a list of top level european clubs, utd, arsenal, inter just to name a few, and could easily be a starter on any of the above mentioned teams...But no, instead he chose to join Madrid to compete with one of the world's best deep lying playmaker.....I can't understand what he's been thinking....He has only played on top level for like one and a half year. It's really sad to see him wasting his talents on the bench.....

pulga

Banned
Don't need to understand English to understand this. It's all about attitude.

Just to show some contrast, this is Conte when the allegations were starting to heat up. Soft spoken, able to laugh about the absurdity of the charges

Well, this is Conte now. The weight of the trial has taken its toll, evidently. Here he is mocking the fact that he's cleared of one failure to report a match fixing and yet his penalty remains the same. He goes on to say "the Juventus fans, no, ALL the fans need to see what they have done to me and are doing to me because it's a shame."

This is my favourite part Basically saying I've never bet before in my life, and you want me to denounce a match you say I fixed? But if I didn't see anything what do you want me to denounce? Do you want me to invent a denunciation?!

If we were humble last season, going about our business with quiet determination, I think Conte's presser shows that this Juventus is going to be very fucking different.

Holy shit. I shat myself. I love you Conte.

Kyoufu

Wait Classico tonight? TONIGHT?

WHAT

OUR RETURN TO EUROPE! WOO!

We have a decent side out. HOWAY THE LADS!

I'm playing the Champions League anthem in the background as players shake hands HAHAHA I'M SUCH A MUPPET

pulga

Banned
Football players are called calciatori? Thought it'd be giocatore.

Shit. I gotta go do my homework before the clasico starts. Damn you GAF.

Edit: What's he saying about Carrobio? Something about how he's Pippo, instead of Filippo, for the court because they became something I can't make out, but it sounds like "pappa e chicha".

kharma45

Just watched that Polygon trailer, what a bunch of JT's.

Edit - Also, Zeki Fryers signs two-year deal with Standard Liege according to the DM.

Zabojnik

Edit: What's he saying about Carrobio? Something about how he's Pippo, instead of Filippo, for the court because they became something I can't make out, but it sounds like "pappa e chicha".

Yeah, that's what he bacame for the prosecution. Pippo, the trustworthy Pippo. Their best friend (that's more or less what the expression pappa e ciccia means). 'The same man that has been fixing matches for 3 years, betraying himself, his family, his teammates.' Hopefully there'll be a translated version online soon. You have to hear what the lawyers had to say, it's even more shocking and frankly terrifying, if you're a coach in Italy right now. Conte said that from now on he'll be afraid to send one of his players to the stands, because you never know, one morning one might go crazy and make up an accusation. That's all it takes, you cannot defend yourself. If the accuser is deemed credible, you're basically fucked.

English translation provided by Juventiknows.

I'll quote it here because it's amazing and you should all read it because fuck you it's amazing. The link has the video as well, so read along kiddies!

Antonio Conte said:
We requested this press conference because I think the time has come, after much waiting and a long silence from my part (as a principle of decency for those who were carrying out the investigation, those who had to judge, those who had to do their work). I have listened to everyone while remaining silent, even heard someone say “but why are you keeping silent?”. But I respected — as I always have — the rules, both in and off the field: in this matter I think I behaved very much correctly.

This is an absurd matter. And I think the absurdity reached it peak yesterday, where we had the icing on the cake: I was appalled, shocked by the declarations of a member of the committee that judged me. Something serious, something never seen before. I define the behavior on the part of this gentleman [Piero Sandulli - Ed.] as improper and well outside regulations. Let’s talk about regulations: this gentleman should respect regulations. He should, above all, enforce them.
Instead, what do I see? I see a man who perhaps, to appear on the front page of all national newspapers thanks to me and my name, makes very inappropriate statements. Whether he did so as a fan of another team I don’t know, but certainly inappropriate, and which make me think that maybe this man holds a personal grudge against me.

As I said I have always behaved properly, always, despite the pain and the knowledge that I have suffered a grave injustice. A serious injustice. Today I think it’s time to dot the I’s and cross the T’s.

Novara-Siena: it’s been 7 months I’ve been on the front page of newspapers, in news shows of national and private televisions. 7 months that my face is always shown together with Calcioscommesse. Me, who never gambled in my life. 7 months that you continue to talk about this “famous” — because it has now become extremely famous –technical meeting before Novara-Siena, where I allegedly spoke to my players reassuring everyone about a fixed draw.

Let me explain the concept of a technical meeting: the technical meeting is something sacred. On the Sunday before the game, the technical meeting is where we talk about technique, tactics, show pictures, on how to hurt the opponent, how not to get hurt ourselves. Then comes a motivational speech from my part, a highly motivational one, in which — depending to the situation — I amp up my players even more or release their tension. And supposedly, after I do all this… after all this work in preparing the game – where I talk about technical & tactical aspects, about exceptionally high motivations – what do I do then? “Guys today don’t worry, it’s all right: we draw.” I cover myself in ridicule in front of 25 people… in front of their families (because they’d no doubt tell the story to them), in front of their agents. THIS was the infamous accusation that led Calcioscommesse to Antonio Conte. To becoming its poster-boy. Me! Someone who has never placed a bet in his life.

Today I find that Mr. Carobbio… Mr. “Pippo” (because it is “Pippo” for the prosecution, not Filippo Carobbio… it’s PIPPO, because they now go together like peanut butter and jelly) is considered a “collaborator of justice”. Seeing that he was questioned 5 times, seeing that he was last questioned on July 10, before *I* was questioned, I would consider him more a “handyman” of a *supposed* justice.

The prosecution considers Mr. Pippo a liar. A LIAR. That is, “not credible”. Whereas for the Federal Prosecutor, Pippo Carobbio (not Filippo) is a “highly credible person,” whereas Antonio Conte “less credible”… “Not credible” even. I think that credibility, in life, is something you earn every day. And I think that throughout my life, I have gained GREAT credibility. Unlike those who have sold matches, sold themselves, their family, and their teammates for the past three years! And yet the words coming out of the federal prosecutor, words I’m forced to hear, are him being defined “highly credible” and I “not credible"

Do you know the Federal Prosecution? Do you know the *methods* the Federal Prosecutor uses? You’ve read about them. Maybe they have gone unnoticed in Locatelli & Poloni’s interviews, but not to me. What do Locatelli and Poloni say? “We have not said what they wanted to hear. We didn’t name big names in order to get a leaner sentence.” THAT’s what they say.

What they say is chilling!! CHILLING!! But this isn’t something justice scholars are interested in. The methods of the sports prosecution aren’t interesting, especially when it comes to obtaining a plea bargain. The plea bargain? Plea bargaining is blackmail! Plea bargaining is BLACKMAIL! Unfortunately the kind which is also perpetrated by our own lawyers. I am innocent, yet I have to hear this from my lawyer: “You know, maybe, given this justice which doesn’t allow us to defend ourselves, to show your innocence to the fullest, why risk it? Let’s plea bargain”. Me, an innocent person! Me like many others, because there has been a run-up to obtaining all these plea bargains. From this form of “justice”, plea bargains are blackmail, plain and simple!! [voice breaks]

This is a disgrace. A DISGRACE. Today I can say it because it is all over. Well, I say “over” because it is with them, there is still another appeal. Fortunately it IS over with them. Novara-Siena is a shameful accusation against me, against any coach. [Carobbio] questioned my credibility in the locker room. But those who know me know who Antonio Conte is, just as all players of Juventus do. Despite the news came out during the campionato, this never created problems in my work. FALSE news. Today I say “false news”: I already had these thoughts before, but I could not express them.

A disgraceful accusation against the coach, one who should be the LEADER, who must transmit positive values, who must transmit victory on the field. In 5 years I have won 3 championships: one Scudetto and 2 promotions. Am I unpleasant because I win? It is not my problem. I do my job, I do it to the maximum of my ability, demanding the fullest out of myself first, and then out of my players and the club that I work for. Does it bother someone? Not my problem.

Novara-Siena: acquitted. ACQUITTED! Beautiful, the shameful accusation has fallen. All that is left is that other part, the thing that during all these months no one ever mentioned in the newspapers. Heh heh… wrong. There’s Albinoleffe-Siena, where “Conte couldn’t not know.” The lawyers had to take 5 hours to explain to me what “couldn’t not know” means, and if you ask me again now I still have doubts. I don’t think I’m a moron under this aspect.

So, a “failure to report” is gone and you tell yourself: it’s 10 months for two failures to report. One’s left. So you say… maybe the sentence is gonna go down: from 10 it will go down to 5. No! 10 remains 10. Absurd. And today I can say it: everything that has happened to me is ABSURD. The Juventini population and ALL the soccer fans need to know what was done to me, and what is being done to me. Because it’s a disgrace. A disgrace!

They tell me: “Let me explain to you what ‘failure to report’ means, so we can understand each other. (…) It means that I should, if I see something, report it. But if I have not seen anything, WHAT DO I HAVE TO REPORT?! Should I *invent* a report!? What on Earth are we talking about here? WHAT ON EARTH are we talking about?!

I tell you frankly, now after this event, I’m starting to be afraid to go in the locker room, the place where I have to be a leader, and… I don’t know, maybe pick a fight with a player! I’m fearful of maybe sending a player in the stands for the match, because tomorrow what? One goes mad, he gets up, starts to “report”… and this is what “justice” today has proven. Justice today has demonstrated that a person who for three and a half years sold matches, sold himself, his family, and his teammates, is believed to be telling the truth. So I’m afraid. I’m scared. Or maybe I should put a television camera on my forehead, and everywhere I go I’ll have the TV camera, so that 24 hours a day I’ll record what happens to me. Otherwise one has no choice but to be afraid.

I’ll say one more thing to my colleagues and players: today this happened to me and many others. Tomorrow it can happen to THEM! Don’t bury your heads in the sand and say “whatever, it’s happened to him” or “it happened to them, the others who have been charged.” It can happen to anyone! Open your eyes!

Thank you.

Edit: Highlighted parts for the lazy (READ THE WHOLE DAMN THING!)

pulga

Banned
Yeah, that's what he bacame for the prosecution. Pippo, the trustworthy Pippo. Their best friend (that's more or less what the expression pappa e ciccia means). 'The same man that has been fixing matches for 3 years, betraying himself, his family, his teammates.' Hopefully there'll be a translated version online soon. You have to hear what the lawyers had to say, it's even more shocking.

Figured it meant something like that, similar to "uña y mugre" in spanish. I understood maybe 50% of what he was saying, but maaaaan, that was intense. I can't imagine something even more shocking :lol

What are you studying pulga?

Italian! Im training with the Conte video right now, it's on loop :lol

Arnie

Ballague:

Sahin choice should be made pretty soon. AFC and LFC agreed all with Madrid. Now up to player. At LFC they think he can still be convinced

Reckon he'll go to Arsenal then, makes more sense from a player perspective.

ShogunX

Reckon he'll go to Arsenal then, makes more sense from a player perspective.

It does but then this loan deal for Sahin has been completed on about five different occasions now each with a different contract and outcome. Will wait for confirmation on the official sites.

Do you reckon FM13 should have transfer sagas like sahin in the game to make it more realistic?

What? bullshit twitter nonsense making the move seem far more complicated than it really is?

Zabojnik

English translation provided by Juventiknows.

I'll quote it here because it's amazing and you should all read it because fuck you it's amazing. The link has the video as well, so read along kiddies!

Edit: Highlighted parts for the lazy (READ THE WHOLE DAMN THING!)

That was fast from Juventiknows. Hope they translate the whole thing. It's really something everybody should hear/see/read.

Do you reckon FM13 should have transfer sagas like sahin in the game to make it more realistic?
No. It would just be tedious IMO. These sagas are just creations of the media more often than not anyway. They could maybe have real time transfer negotiations like they have with players and their contracts.

FM in general is getting tiresome. It needs to add a new perspective to satisfy the player. I think maybe more hands on training could be fun, so use of the match engine in training from time to time where the manager himself can tell players to make certain moves etc.

Just an idea, maybe too in depth but as good as the game is its starting to wane a little every year. You can sense everything which is going to happen (outside of the matches), needs something fresh.

Kozak

Banned

I already hate it when bullshit rumours come about that I'm interested in a player.

Every press conference I tell the press I'm happy with my squad and I'm not interested in making signings too..

edit:

What they should add to FM is the ability to name and shame players. Too many times a player will ask for a contract which is way above what they deserve and when they sign they say it was in love for the clu..

As long as they're better than PES6's transfers

2,000 pts, 500 wages? Declined, no reason given
2,500 pts, 600 wages? Declined, no reason given
3,000 pts, 700 wages? Declined, no reason given...
Last week of window
6,000 pts, 1,000 wages? Accepted!

Book-balancing time. You are in debt because you have to pay 1,000 pts in advance for the new guys wages, even though he hasn't kicked a ball for you yet. Step into my office, you're fucking fired.

*Reloads save from first week of transfer window, since I forgot to save it*

bjaelke

Confirmed #LFC team: Reina, Robinson, Carragher, Agger, Kelly, Henderson, Spearing, Adam, Shelvey, Sterling, Borini

Subs: Jones, Coates, Downing, Lucas, Allen, Flanagan, Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom