• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coates?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!???!??!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Think it's time fans stop moaning about Coates, it's pretty clear he's not ready yet to start for the club even in early EL rounds. Kenny and now Rodgers not ready to give him the go, they must know something. Hope Borini will have a good game, he was pretty much invisible last week end.

tralfazz

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports
Wigan have confirmed they have accepted a bid for Victor Moses from Chelsea and have given him permission to talk to the club.

Bout damn time! Now sell off Sturridge and get Canvani and someone else.

Does anybody play new star soccer, really addictive mobile game

Addicting as hell. Just started it up again with the new season here.

Quiche, I envy you. Waiting until it comes over to WSS or the Megastore here in the States. Will be getting that and the Double Winners DVD.

Also looking forward to the 'Richer Than God' book coming over here. Only on Amazon UK at the mo'. Loves me some books on footie.

Think it's time fans stop moaning about Coates, it's pretty clear he's not ready yet to start for the club even in early EL rounds. Kenny and now Rodgers not ready to give him the go, they must know something. Hope Borini will have a good game, he was pretty much invisible last week end.

I'd accept that if he wasn't clearly better than Carragher, but he is

Arnie

I just think we're saving him for Sunday. Agger was always going to play, and I don't think Carragher can play two games in 3 days, which points towards Coates starting against City. He was our outstanding player against Leverkusen in my opinion, he's certainly good enough to start against Hearts, but as I say, we're saving him.

Meier

Where is Football Manager normally cheapest when its newly released? I've decided to try and dive in with FM13 when its out

Amazon.com had it for $29.99 for the Digital Download on release as I recall. I just took the key they gave me and downloaded it through Steam and that was that. Might be worth seeing if someone will gift it to you in exchange for Paypal reimbursement or something along those lines.

I am hoping FM13 is similarly cheap.. the retail price here for 12 was $40 from the start.

Quite happy with that, except for Adam. STERLING!

Do players ever threaten to leave in FM, if they're not getting paid or played enough? And do they ever wind their contracts down?

Yes. It can be very frustrating.

I manage Porto and after some time, my biggest players usually talk to me and request a transfer for a bigger challenge. :( If the guys are unhappy they won't re-sign and it can be hard to unload them due to wages even if they're relatively low. The transfer market in it is pretty accurate.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sky Sports ‏@SkySports
Wigan have confirmed they have accepted a bid for Victor Moses from Chelsea and have given him permission to talk to the club.

What on earth do they need another tricky midget for?

Carroll is really being treated like a gimp by the manager. Rogers bullshitting in his pre-match interview just now was hilarious.

I'm reading a book by Malcolm Gladwell called 'Outliers' - the book basically seeks to challenge how it is that society defines success and suggests that rather than looking at what successful people are like we should look at what and where successful people have come from. So basically, it isn't necessarily innate ability which makes you successful but that environmental impacts are more important.

Anyway, to bring this back to football - one of the examples he gives is that of sport. He suggests (and backs up) that the month you are born in can significantly impact the likelihood that you succeed in a given sport because of the way sports teams are structured.

With football in England he found that because the annual age cut off is Sep 1st (in the schooling system which at that age carries/carried(?) over to football also) players born towards the end of the year are much more likely to make it to the top of the game than players born in summer months, simply because when they are playing in their age group at a young age they are bigger, stronger and faster...and at a young age a matter of months can make a big difference.

Apparently in the 90's in the Premier League, there were twice as many players who were born in Sep/Oct than born in June/Aug.

In international football where the age cut off date used to be Aug 1st, at a recent tournament (doesn't say which) there were 6x as many players born in Aug/Sep/Oct than there were born in the summer months.

Since 2007, the international age cut off date has moved to the start of the year, Jan 1st - I'm gonna look through some international u21/u19 squads and see if his theory continues to hold true.

It's pretty fascinating though. And it's true of other sports also.

A pretty random post I'll admit...but interesting nonetheless...maybe it is just all about innate talent which is what we often put it down to in football...for the very best players I guess it is...but for the other players that make up the squads in the league...just luck that they were born at a certain time of the year, and got into football...before putting in the hard work.

Feorax

Selling Carroll to by Sturridge is a downgrade in my opinion. Carroll at least gives us a different option.

Depends. If Sturridge can match the form he showed at Bolton, and then under AVB, he can probably offer at least 15 goals a season, which I can't see out of Carroll in this system.

15 goals each from Borini and Sturridge, 10 from Suarez, and then whatever we get from the rest of the outfield squad, and we should be alright.

bud23

I'm reading a book by Malcolm Gladwell called 'Outliers'
Yeah, I read the book.You should read The Tipping Point and Blink.

What Malcolm Gladwell writes is basic psychology/sociology,what makes the difference is how this guy tells the stories. All his books are a good read.

Depends. If Sturridge can match the form he showed at Bolton, and then under AVB, he can probably offer at least 15 goals a season, which I can't see out of Carroll in this system.

15 goals each from Borini and Sturridge, 10 from Suarez, and then whatever we get from the rest of the outfield squad, and we should be alright.
10?

Suarez will get more than 10. He got like 15 last year and his finishing was still pants and he missed 8 games.

Yeah, I read the book.You should read The Tipping Point and Blink.

What Malcolm Gladwell writes is basic psychology/sociology,what makes the difference is how this guy tells the stories. All his books are a good read.
I've read blink! Got The Tipping Point - gonna read that next :)

Ushojax

What are you on about? He said he was due to start and he picked up a slight injury that he had a scan on.

I'm sorry but the way Rogers said that....it sounded like bollocks that he was making up on the fly. I remember when Fabregas and Modric were 'injured' last summer. Why Giovani Dos Santos just picked up an 'injury' this morning, his first session back. Rogers wants rid of Carroll had someone has probably been dumb enough to buy him.

LTWheels

What on earth do they need another tricky midget for?

Carroll is really being treated like a gimp by the manager. Rogers bullshitting in his pre-match interview just now was hilarious.

Pre kick off it was well known that Carroll had a knock and was not certain to start.

Arnie

I'm sorry but the way Rogers said that....it sounded like bollocks that he was making up on the fly. I remember when Fabregas and Modric were 'injured' last summer. Why Giovani Dos Santos just picked up an 'injury' this morning, his first session back. Rogers wants rid of Carroll had someone has probably been dumb enough to buy him.

He told everyone in the press conference yesterday that Carroll was injured.

The only person spewing bollocks is yourself, and the only reason you're doing it is because Rodgers is Liverpool manager, not because of anything he himself has physically done. It's embarrassing.

GorillaJu

The injury was reported like two days ago actually. Said he'd start barring interruption from an injury ground training.

GorillaJu

"This is Tynecastle" sign – blatant homage to Anfield?

I thought that Darksiders add was for the new Wow expansion. I was thinking "holy shit Wow graphics got a lot better since I played!" hahaha

ShogunX

Great atmosphere at Tynecastle which is always good to see. Anybody going the return leg?

Shelvey with his trademark challenge.

dc89

221944_10152047235480455_1968617344_n.jpg

Ushojax

He told everyone in the press conference yesterday that Carroll was injured.

The only person spewing bollocks is yourself, and the only reason you're doing it is because Rodgers is Liverpool manager, not because of anything he himself has physically done. It's embarrassing.

Song had a 'knock' last weekend as well. It's pretty standard for players on the way out.

Meier

"This is Tynecastle" sign – blatant homage to Anfield?

I think that's a pretty common phrase. I know my least favorite college football team uses it and has for decades.

gators.jpg

A number of college football teams also do the whole touch the sign thing when leaving the locker room as well. Oklahoma has done it since the 40s.

220px-Play_like_a_champ_OU.jpg

Arnie

Song had a 'knock' last weekend as well. It's pretty standard for players on the way out.

Doesn't mean Rodgers was chatting shit. Just admit you acted ignorantly and move on.

Atmosphere here is top, from both sets of fans. Top fixture for away fans.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
REAKING NEWS-La Repubblica states FIGC Prosecutor Palazzi may resign

LOL? Well, you'd think the farce that was Calciopoli was enough.

Juventus apparently offered £11.9 for Dzeko. I swear they're having a laugh with these bids of theirs, lol.

A few days ago he said we were 5M away from City's asking price for Dzeko, surely it's not 16.9M?

I think that's a pretty common phrase. I know my least favorite college football team uses it and has for decades.

gators.jpg

A number of college football teams also do the whole touch the sign thing when leaving the locker room as well. Oklahoma has done it since the 40s.

220px-Play_like_a_champ_OU.jpg

No, as always, everything is about Liverpool, innit. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom