• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his link up play's good but his finishing is a bit plop.

Suarez was on £40K last season, to put Welbeck's new contract into perspective.

Yeah, if you put Welbeck and Hernandez together you'd get a good striker (or a crap one depending on which parts were shared).

G17

Can't believe Song is even pondering the thought of leaving after everything Wenger has done for him. The deal won't go through. I doubt he is ungrateful to the extent that he'd ask for a transfer.

Lightning

Banned
GeoffArsenal says

Sahin to Arsenal > 100% done

Song to Barca > 80%
Dont like that arrangement. Fuck you GeoffArsenal.

Wenger telling porkys again? He basically said yesterday that Song is not going anywhere and that there is nothing to worry about. Not serious I believe his words were and that there had been no contact from Barca regarding Song.

Slizz

If we can tie up Welbeck's contract like that why can't we do the same for Nani?

Welbeck is an easier re-sign in general. Like Chris said, young player, 1 full year of club play and only a couple of international caps. Much easier to re-sign that then a more proven, experienced vet.

Wilbur

Banned
You won't elaborate because my statement is true. He did not play as well for about a 2 month stretch, that's undeniable, but just how poorly he played and his overall form for the entire season has gotten "worse" with each passing month. The reality is that even an injured David Silva is better than 99% of the other midfielders in the world but all of the sudden you're even going so far as to suggest Cazorla is better than him. It's pretty laughable.

Whatever. You can believe I'm being a revisionist but no, I thought he was very much in need of a rest and pretty dire from December to March.

The reality is that 99% of midfielders are worse than an injured David Silva? Oh man.

The Cazorla thing is opinion, there's not much in it. But he scores a little more, carried Malaga to fourth last year and is more versatile. I think Silva's fantastic but to argue that Cazorla is marginally better isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Not like calling Wonderwall the greatest song ever written or whatever you said. I kind of made a mental note to dismiss whatever you said from now on when you said that, so it's not surprising to see such aggressive arguing for a biased opinion on City. You've been doing it quite a lot the last few days. I assumed a lot of the banter the last few days has been tongue in cheek but you're very quick to come and defend something, so whatever. We'll agree to disagree.

jtb

Banned
Cazorla also carried Villarreal to CL places for several years. Without him (and, admittedly, Rossi), they got relegated. seems a bit premature to dismiss or compare Cazorla to Silva until after at least a full season of the PL.

Yes Welbeck signed up.

£75k is a lot of money but that's just the going rate these days when players have so much power. I think he can be a really great player. If he improves his finishing he will be a great all round striker. His link up play is very good already.

Glad we got Henriquez tied up. We've been following him for years and he apparently comes over to Carrington regularly to be assessed by the staff. Already learnt English too. Not sure what his level is at the moment, he's looked sharp in Chile. Maybe a short loan there before he comes to Europe.

RVP looks close - dc seems a bit annoyed about this. I'm happy. He's class. It's too much money and all that but whatever I can't be bothered to worry about the finances after what's happened this summer I just want the football to start and RVP is boss.

Sahin - FML if he goes to Liverpool it will be worse than the day Torres did. Real heart break shot.

Yes Welbeck signed up.

£75k is a lot of money but that's just the going rate these days when players have so much power. I think he can be a really great player. If he improves his finishing he will be a great all round striker. His link up play is very good already.

Glad we got Henriquez tied up. We've been following him for years and he apparently comes over to Carrington regularly to be assessed by the staff. Already learnt English too. Not sure what his level is at the moment, he's looked sharp in Chile. Maybe a short loan there before he comes to Europe.

RVP looks close - dc seems a bit annoyed about this. I'm happy. He's class. It's too much money and all that but whatever I can't be bothered to worry about the finances after what's happened this summer I just want the football to start and RVP is boss.

Sahin - FML if he goes to Liverpool it will be worse than the day Torres did. Real heart break shot.

Not convinced by that at all.

Emhemed

Tello's Agent arrived at Barcelona's training center about half an hour ago to discuss the player's future. Don't rate him highly and I don't think he is a Barcelona material,I wouldn't care much if he is loaned or sold to At.madrid or Liverpool

As for Songs rumors I hope they're not true. I don't see the reason why we should go for him, Barca should save money to get Javi Martinez next year. Bartra and Fontas can do the job in defence.

elsk

Banned
As for Songs rumors I hope they're not true. I don't see the reason why we should go for him, Barca should save money to get Javi Martinez next year. Bartra and Fontas can do the job in defence.

If rumors are true, Javi transfer to Bayern is going to be announced this week.

bjaelke

Mohamed Moallim ‏@jouracule
LVG: "I may in the future choose Van Persie but for now my central striker is Huntelaar. He will not give up & that's a good thing."

Nice dig at RVP
KuGsj.gif

That shot at the last minute rattled off crossbar, hit the keeper on the back, and was rolling towards the back of the net before the keeper got his hands to it. Amazing

Chievo 2 - 2 Udinese

Not convinced by that at all.
It is high but when a players contract is running down he holds the aces. Hell know United can afford it and even squad players at these top clubs earn a hefty wage.

United have paid under some of their competitors for a while but they're having to raise their contracts now because these players know they can get big wages elsewhere.

MUFC could not afford to lose Welbeck, I'm sure he knew that.

Edit - FWIW I rate Welbeck quite highly so I am probably blinded by that quite a bit plus that he's a fan favourite already. You're probably right, I'm just glad we were willing to concede on this one.

It is high but when a players contract is running down he holds the aces. Hell know United can afford it and even squad players at these top clubs earn a hefty wage.

United have paid under some of their competitors for a while but they're having to raise their contracts now because these players know they can get big wages elsewhere.

MUFC could not afford to lose Welbeck, I'm sure he knew that.

Think that says more about Man U's squad building over the years, then it does abot Welbeck's talent. £75k for him, and every other striker in the team will know what the minimum to ask for is from now on. Stupid money.

As Arnie said Suarez was on £40k, Newcastle strikers are on between £40k-£60k.

If the prospect of playing for Man U and competing for league and European titles every season isn't appealing to a player, I'd suggest Man U are keeping/signing the wrong type of player.

Welp, maybe I'm wrong on this one then.

Either way I'm just glad we've got Welbeck signed to a long term contract. He's going to be an important player for us I think.

Wilbur

Banned
You're right, they are even worse.

John Terry is worse than Suarez on the pitch? Really? As big a wanker as he is, I can't think of much he's done wrong on the field barring kneeing Sanchez and the Anton stuff. For Suarez I remember the biting, the handball against Ghana, pulling Rafael's hair, the Evra business, kicking Parker, diving, wrestling Heitenga, making the most of challenges... that's off the top of my head.

I'm not saying he's the only one that does it, but he does it with such extreme consistency.

Wilbur

Banned
Welp, maybe I'm wrong on this one then.

Either way I'm just glad we've got Welbeck signed to a long term contract. He's going to be an important player for us I think.

I'm very glad he's signed, and maybe it'll pay dividends in a few years. But say he's 25 and performed well and coming to the end of the contract. He can't go from 40 to 80k, he'll be wanting to go from 75 to 100k+ you know?

Delighted, I really rate him and one of the reasons I'm not too enthused about RVP is because I want Welbeck to get ample play time. But it's a lot of money.

I'm very glad he's signed, and maybe it'll pay dividends in a few years. But say he's 25 and performed well and coming to the end of the contract. He can't go from 40 to 80k, he'll be wanting to go from 75 to 100k+ you know?

Delighted, I really rate him and one of the reasons I'm not too enthused about RVP is because I want Welbeck to get ample play time. But it's a lot of money.

Now there's an interesting thought - does this mean no RVP?

It is a lot of money, but, and this is very blunt and no doubt part of what is wrong in football right now...but the club can more than afford it (staying away from the debt issue).

We still have the lowest wage/turnover ratio in the league by some distance and probably one of the lowest across Europe too. The club makes this money and the players are going to ask for it. It's business. By and large I think we get these decisions right, we pay much less than most other and get as good or better results.

I'd rather pay him £75k a week than have him leave for free. Ideally you renew with more than a year left as we always do, in this instance we didn't know he was good enough for the first team until just this season.

Wilbur

Banned
It is a lot of money, but, and this is very blunt and no doubt part of what is wrong in football right now...but the club can more than afford it (staying away from the debt issue).

We still have the lowest wage/turnover ratio in the league by some distance and probably one of the lowest across Europe too. The club makes this money and the players are going to ask for it. It's business. By and large I think we get these decisions right, we pay much less than most other and get as good or better results.

I'd rather pay him £75k a week than have him leave for free. Ideally you renew with more than a year left as we always do, in this instance we didn't know he was good enough for the first team until just this season.

We're more and less agreed to be fair, just coming at it from different viewpoints. Like I say, I'm delighted he's signed.

Clegg

Now there's an interesting thought - does this mean no RVP?
I don't think signing Welbeck to a new contract has any bearing on whether or not United get RVP. Welbeck is a long term investment while RVP is the finished article

Berbatov is surplus to requirement at United so I can see SAF being very keen to bring RVP in. Whether the deal will actually happen is a completely different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom