• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

I want Borini to be our pure goal scorer. :(
He's really young, there's loads of time for him to blossom into that role.
I just remember him being completely shit whenever I watched him play. Fair enough, he scored 47 goals last year (didn't know this, thanks Yenrot) and perhaps I'm wrong about him, but I feel overpaying a player, and an old one at that, is a mistake.

€20m is too much for a 29 year old unproven at a higher level.

Either way, I don't see Liverpool getting him. I think this is the 2nd (or 3rd) season he has been linked with you.
For some reason I thought Huntelaar was 27. You're right, that is a lot of money for a 29 year old, it's almost at RVP price, which was enormous. If he'd give us 2 or 3 seasons of 20 goals in the league though I'd say it's a worthy outlay. Again, we've got young strikers, but we need an experienced, proven finisher.
FC+Barcelona+v+Sampdoria+Pre+Season+Friendly+tkCzOzAY16ol.jpg

hahaha

Huntelaar is a good striker and has excelled in Holland and Germany. But he didn't impress at Madrid or Milan. I think he'd do well at Liverpool but I don't rate him as highly as others do.

In my FM'12 game last night, Liverpool signed Emile Heskey on a free transfer.

:lol

Carroll would be so much more effective if he didn't like to drift out of the 18 yard box so much.

Yen

More people shot in America. Outside of the Empire State Building :/

Incoming gun law debate.

After Aurora, The Daily Show played a selection of clips where Fox News and Republican politicians said, "it would be disgusting and disrespectful to have a debate on gun laws now. Don't let the liberal agenda turn this event into a politicized one."
America is fucked up.
Don't ban me

Kyoufu

After Aurora, The Daily Show played a selection of clips where Fox News and Republican politicians said, "it would be disgusting and disrespectful to have a debate on gun laws now. Don't let the liberal agenda turn this event into a politicized one."
America is fucked up.
Don't ban me

I can only facepalm at their stance on gun laws. Republicans are messed up. Don't they want to make abortion/birth control illegal or something?

Anyway, never seen Huntelaar play but I can tell you right now, he wouldn't start for Newcastle reserves.

confuziz

Banned
I can only facepalm at their stance on gun laws. Republicans are messed up. Don't they want to make abortion/birth control illegal or something?

Anyway, never seen Huntelaar play but I can tell you right now, he wouldn't start for Newcastle reserves.

Hunterlaar is better than RVP. Im serious.

GorillaJu

Huntelaar's buyout clause at Schalke is I think £12m. We wouldn't have to pay 20 to get him. 12 is still a lot for a 29 year old though.

LTWheels

I saw Moses play as a school boy. He played against my schools first team as a 15 year old. He was the
laziest person on the pitch, but absolutely amazing when he received the ball. Head and shoulders above everyone else playing. Single handily demolished my school's side. Very curious and looking forward to see how his career develops.

jtb

Banned
What happened to buying a new keeper Arsene? Or a DM. Or a full back.

It's just embarrassing that Arshavin is our club's top paid player.

Borriello was constantly played over Huntelaar, that should tell you something. ;)

Seen some seriously shocking bad matches from him, especially remember Ajax against Copenhagen, so awesome with all the chances he managed to fuck up and miss, wouldn't mind Liverpool getting him.

Meier

Goal.com are suggesting the Johnson to Sunderland move will be £10m up front with a potential to increase to £15m. They're saying Sinclair will cost £6m and possibly raise to £8m.

bud

Hunterlaar is better than RVP. Im serious.

Borriello was constantly played over Huntelaar, that should tell you something. ;)

Seen some seriously shocking bad matches from him, especially remember Ajax against Copenhagen, so awesome with all the chances he managed to fuck up and miss, wouldn't mind Liverpool getting him.

more recently, he's been absolutely awful against belgium. his footwork is embarrassing.

3Sixty

I saw Moses play as a school boy. He played against my schools first team as a 15 year old. He was the
laziest person on the pitch, but absolutely amazing when he received the ball. Head and shoulders above everyone else playing. Single handily demolished my school's side. Very curious and looking forward to see how his career develops.

That's because he was probably 23 at the time.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
President Zamparini: "Last week, I refused a €12m offer for Abel Hernandez from Galatasaray."

But apparently Melo was not worth 8m?

Salvadora

Wenger - We will only sign special players

Arsène Wenger will only take players with “something special” in the final week of the transfer window.

The Arsenal manager has added quality this summer in the shape of Lukas Podolski, Santi Cazorla and Olivier Giroud. At Friday’s press conference he spoke of his contentment with his current squad but, at the same time, he was open to additions before next Friday’s deadline.

“My approach is that we have a very strong squad but if one or two opportunities arise we will take it,” he said.

“We are still in the market in some positions. We have experienced players in midfield like Arteta, Cazorla and Rosicky plus some young very promising players like Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Coquelin and one or two in between age-wise like Diaby, who is coming back.

“We will only take players who have something special. We believe we have a very strong team and if we find the special player, we will do it.

“There's always a lot going on in the last week - in and out. We have some players who can go out, but overall there is always something happening in the last week. I have a clear idea of what I want to do, if it happens, it happens.”
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-will-only-sign-special-players
Bad luck Sahin.

Arnie

Ok, so I told Kermit I'd type out my logic as to how I can justify my prior comments about the Fletcher transfer, and my comments regarding the Rodwell one.

To clarify, I believe Fletcher is a good signing, even for £14 million because Sunderland are a team that put in the most crosses in the league (or close to), and Fletcher was one of the best finishers in the league last season, especially from crosses. The two fit together like a glove, and because of that I expect Fletcher to get a modest goal tally over the course of his contract and justify the fee.

Now Kermit tweeted me, obviously emotionally enraged by the supposed inconsistency between my appreciation for this transfer, but my scolding of the Rodwell one. So I'll expand on why he's wrong to compare the two.

Rodwell doesn't offer the immediate benefit that Fletcher does. Fletcher was one of the best finishers in the league, as I said, Rodwell's not particularly proficient in any one area, and certainly not in the area City need to strengthen. He's not a top defender capable of filling in for the centre backs, nor is he the midfield steel that City seemingly need, his mistake against Southampton proving that he isn't yet that reliable figure that City require in the middle (but he's young, so I wouldn't read too much into that).

Secondly whilst you could argue that Rodwell has five years to blossom into a player that could offer the return on the financial investment, the wage factor alone would mean that such a thing would be a tall order. We obviously don't know for sure how much he's on, but given the club's wage structure, and what the Echo reported him to be on, I'd wager that it isn't short change, and that puts him at the trough of a steep slope already.

There is the 'potential' factor to examine, but from what my many Everton friends and family tell me, they don't think Rodwell will turn into the player people perhaps thought he would a few years ago. He's stagnated at Everton, through injury, and through Moyes' perhaps archaic method of treating youngsters, but he's stagnated nonetheless. I don't doubt that playing him, and training him alongside top players is going to improve him, but I don't think that's enough to get him to where City need and expect him to be, which brings me onto my last point, the one which negates the comparison between the two deals that Kermit is so eager to make...

Sunderland are buying Fletcher to secure mid table stability, City are a team that are hoping, and almost expecting to dominate football, both domestically and across Europe. The expectations and boundaries by which we judge both signings must shift accordingly; do I think Fletcher will get the goals to keep Sunderland safe and ticking for a good few years? Yes. Do I think Rodwell will develop into a midfielder that's capable of anchoring a side who's dominating Europe? No. And thus I'm not sure it's fair to suggest I'm being overwhelmingly biased towards Sunderland for painting the Fletcher signing in a positive light, whilst being pessimistic about the Rodwell deal.

Hixx

How on earth did Sky not pick the Chelsea-Newcastle game tomorrow? I can't stand ESPN. :(

They don't always get first choice.

This isn't the Korean Romance channel.

edit: Fletcher is £12m. Less than that wankstain Gyan. But because Gyan was foreign no one gave a shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom