• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.
A0XEYoLCUAIj6G-.jpg:large

omgkitty

Not that I am personally displeased with leaving it at Giroud and Podolski, but I am absolutely positive that when quizzed this weekend on RvP, Wenger explicitly said that we had 'bought players to strengthen the squad, not replace RvP.' It was in one of his post-Cologne interviews, maybe even the one on the official site.

It's not surprising. Even if we were going for another striker, Wenger would still say it. I just hope we sign a few more players.

Podolski can be a freaking beast if you play him in a 4-4-2, but not so much as a lone striker or an offensive winger (like Löw does).

fuenf

Sosa is playing, haha. Argetina is going to trash Germany defense.

wtf, is he good again? or didnt Argentina have any other players left?

btw. on transfermarkt.de they are quoting sammer: 'I cant confirm the Martinez transfer, but i dont have my cell phone on me and thus cant know it for sure.'

i guess you were right, Martinez is coming and they are simply playing the media now.

Don't think Giroud and Podolski between them will score as many as RvP last season.

Very likely, but I've resigned myself to the way Wenger handles business and am sure that we'll stick with only them while still somehow ekeing out a Champion's League spot.

As I live in the US, I've only been supporting Arsenal since I was 15 (2005) and RvP and Song have always been my favourite players. I'm sure we'll be fine, but emotionally it's an awful feeling having both of them potentially leave in the same window.

Is there really any adequate replacement out there for RVP, that can be afforded by a club that's not man city/chelsea/psg?

I don't think so, so im quite happy with podolski and Giroud, just need some added quality in midfield to be a better Arsenal team going forward

bjaelke

Frankie Boyle ‏@frankieboyle
#ThingsUnlikelyToHearOnMOTD "And John Terry is singing along proudly to the national anthem! Actually drowning out most of the German team"

KuGsj.gif

Put him in the fucking reserves then.

It's incredibly fucking stupid. As Meus said, Its seems almost open season 24/7 on our squad.

Rather we sell him for a good fee than keep him in the reserves and then sell him for an all right fee next year. No way that kind of bridge burning will ever be mended.

On a side note, that youth policy of our appears to have had some unintended consequences - buy good players, develop good players into great players and then they leave when they are excellent players.

Perhaps signing bargains like Podolski, Carzola, Papisse Sisse, Demba ba etc might be the best way forward.

Meier

is there really any adequate replacement out there for RVP, that can be afforded by a club that's not man city/chelsea/psg?

I don't think so, so im quite happy with podolski and Giroud, just need some added quality in midfield to be a better Arsenal team going forward

Llorente is apparently only going to cost 20m-ish. He's a fantastic striker, if I were Arsenal I'd have him on the way to London as we speak. He's a few years younger and better looking than RVP.. perfect replacement!

At least publicly though, Giroud and/or Podolski are already replacing him.

I'd be thrilled if we just managed to finally get people like Bendtner and Squillaci off of our books. This is what being an Arsenal fan has done to my transfer expectations!

Clegg

is there really any adequate replacement out there for RVP, that can be afforded by a club that's not man city/chelsea/psg?

Falcao perhaps?

He cost Atletico Madrid £40m last year but they're in financial trouble and only own 50% of his rights. Arsenal could possibly get him for £30m.

Salvadora

Rather we sell him for a good fee than keep him in the reserves and then sell him for an all right fee next year. No way that kind of bridge burning will ever be mended.

On a side note, that youth policy of our appears to have had some unintended consequences - buy good players, develop good players into great players and then they leave when they are excellent players.

Perhaps signing bargains like Podolski, Carzola, Papisse Sisse, Demba ba etc might be the best way forward.

I'll be interested to see the direction we go in once Wenger leaves. I hope that uncanny knack of developing great players & investing in youth doesn't go with him.

3Sixty

Referee having a shocker in the Scotland/Australia game. Australia just scored an amazing goal though. Some bald dude.

Moment of controversy! Danny Fox clears off the line after Brett Holman fired in a shot with the Australians claiming the Scotland defender handled the ball.

-
Southampton's Danny Fox making his mark on the international game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom