• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

Even then it's pants because I'm playing against the CPU. I haven't actually played against the CPU in a retail Fifa game since about 2006. Not even kidding. Those people who invest loads of time in Fifa career mode are crazy, in my opinion.

Well, me too since I only play the multiplayer mode, but if you're going to make your decision of to buy or not to buy based on the videos and not the demo, you should get kicked in the nuts.

Wilbur

Banned
Well, me too since I only play the multiplayer mode, but if you're going to make your decision of to buy or not to buy based on the videos and not the demo, you should get kicked in the nuts.

The thing is, if I'm watching a video of it when I've never played FIFA before, fair enough. But when it looks exactly the same as last year's, there's no discernible difference that is going to make me believe gameplay has changed so much as to become fun.

And I like single player so it would be nice to play a game where Swindon and Real Madrid actually feel different to play against.

I just think FIFA is so soulless, it has all the graphics and licenses but it comes across as this overly stoic representation of football, there's no unpredictability about it.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
that pes demo was good but obviously im getting fifa. Sviatoslav thank you but ima get in that ass with Colombia. you got any pics of victoria komova? man you are loaded on the baby doll front

Reverse PES?
Haha pretty much.

This first touch stuff sounds shit. It doesn't sound like you'll be in control of it the way you'd want to be and your player is gonna take some god awful first touches when you're through one on one and send you into rage.

I've really liked FIFA these last few years but too often it still feels like there are something's which are out of your control and you just play with the hand your dealt with. In PES' glory days you always felt like you had total control and if you messed up it was your fault. That's why it was so much more satisfying too.

Fry

The thing is, if I'm watching a video of it when I've never played FIFA before, fair enough. But when it looks exactly the same as last year's, there's no discernible difference that is going to make me believe gameplay has changed so much as to become fun.

And I like single player so it would be nice to play a game where Swindon and Real Madrid actually feel different to play against.

I just think FIFA is so soulless, it has all the graphics and licenses but it comes across as this overly stoic representation of football, there's no unpredictability about it.

Are you going to buy PES instead?

Wilbur

Banned
I thought the PES demo was awful. I never really felt in control of my players.

I don't really feel like that in either game to be honest, but I made a few good dribbles in PES that I found pretty hard to do in FIFA.

There was a great moment I played the other day where I played a through ball for Chicha and the ball bobbled and bounced up as he was pulling his right foot back. His body shifted and he scooped it with his left and it went in. It just looked really natural but in FIFA it either wouldn't have bounced or the ball would have rolled onto the already pre-meditated animation.

Are you going to buy PES instead?

Already ordered FIFA due to it being a good deal but if I don't like it I'll trade it in. PES is out a week or so before so I'll rent it for the sake of comparison

Arnie

The problem with PES is, despite all the things it does right which Fifa can't get close to, you still feel constrained by rigid animations. The series also has an underlying determination system that knows when you should and shouldn't have the ball (which in turn creates the feeling of playing well to win), and in prior PES games it did a serviceable job of hiding it (I still called the game out when I was 14 though). Now, when a player nearest the ball somehow switches to brain dead mode and a defender swoops in and takes hold of the ball, it looks so stupid and obviously gamey.

Wilbur

Banned
Neither of them are as good as classic PES. There is an awful lot wrong with this generation's PES and up until now FIFA has been better, but I've always felt like I've bought FIFA because its the least poor as opposed to the best one.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
lets do a fifa mini tournament t should be good. you can only pick your real country though

-you gentlemen have no taste. ive been rollin barca since rivaldo

I only ever play Fifa either Online or with friends on the same TV. Maybe that helps why I like it so much, I don't have to deal with the shitty A.I.

you can only pick your real country though

I got the worlds best striker.

But yeah I'm on PS3 and most people on here are 360 players I think.

I only ever play Fifa either Online or with friends on the same TV. Maybe that helps why I like it so much, I don't have to deal with the shitty A.I.

Yeah I can't deal with the CPU in either Fifa or PES. Also pretty much all the modes completely lacks any depth, it's just shitty.

Bumhead

Banned
I must be the only one here who doesn't play football games. Just can't hold my interest for some reason.

Up until last year I bought every FIFA & PES/ISS since the late 90's, but for the last 6 or 7 years I seem to be in a cycle where I play them for about a week and barely touch them again. Last year I dropped PES for the first time and won't be buying it this year either.

Still buying FIFA 13 this year, hopefully I can get a little more into it. I don't intend on buying FM13 (also for the first time since the 90's) this year either so FIFA 13 is my lot football wise this year. Hopefully this means I spend more time with it.

He was back training so we were hoping after the international break but I think he picked up another injury so he could be out for a little while longer.

Rafael and Rio pick up injuries very easily too. And Vidic is only just back. Carrick might be playing quite a few more games at CB...

I was just watching the highlights of yesterday's games on SSN and he played against Russia.

Oh and Ultimate Team. Ultimate Team is awesome.

It actually feels pretty different gameplay-wise to the standard modes too.

sneaky77

First thing I noticed too.

In a year when I've got limited money, and there are a surprising number of games coming out that take my fancy, I don't think I'm willing to drop my money on yet another incremental Fifa. If I'm not getting FM, I'm not getting this.

Er, not reliable.

It's fucking Garnett and the gang. They don't know shit about how a football game's meant to be. Haven't listened to that podcast in about a year but Jeff Cannata was probably making shit jokes about 'soccer' the whole way through.

it was Garnett and some other dude that is not part of the regular cast

sneaky77

What are 360's exclusives? I don't like Halo at all, so just for Uncharted alone I'm glad we got a PS3.

superior controller exclusive... lol jk

I would only get a ps3 for a couple of games but at this pt is not worth my expending any money on it, there are too many games coming out as it is anyway

I've got an xbox but pc gaming is best gaming

I like PC better too but it's just much easier to get it for PS3 so I can play offline couch multiplayer easily, friends also mostly got PS3's so they can bring their own controllers if we want to do big offline games. 360 I would probably get it for if only I had Live, but can't justify having that just for Fifa and I rarely ever play any other console games these days.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I got the worlds best striker.

But yeah I'm on PS3 and most people on here are 360 players I think.

Yeah I can't deal with the CPU in either Fifa or PES. Also pretty much all the modes completely lacks any depth, it's just shitty.

I like you so ill get my ps3 fixed. Is it really chloe on your regular avatar?

Arnie

What are 360's exclusives? I don't like Halo at all, so just for Uncharted alone I'm glad we got a PS3.
Uncharted's fantastic for about 8 hours, I can play Halo for years on end.
Sure beats the fuck out of paying annually for the privilege of playing online.

Oh yeaaaah..
£2.50 a month doesn't kill me, and all my mates are on it so I only ever play when we're all in a party together.

The thought of playing games on my own without chatting to my buddies feels like 2002.

Console wars all up in here :lol
It's funny how relaxed we all are about it though, whereas in gaming side these comments would cause a tidal wave of angry responses.

Wilbur

Banned
Uncharted's fantastic for about 8 hours, I can play Halo for years on end.

I just can't get to grips with Halo, it feels so flimsy just spinning around and shooting. Don't really feel in control.

Battlefield's the best shooter I've played in years.

I'd love to have a gaming PC but I can't play games without a controller. Obvious genres excluded.

I'd love one for Skyrim, but only if I could play with a controller. Some of the mods look fantastic.

I'd love one for Skyrim, but only if I could play with a controller.

It's pretty much just plugging it in with a 360 controller. PS3 you got to install motionjoy but it's still fairly easy and not a lot of work to get working with 98% of all games getting released today on pc. Not that I understand why you would do that, keyboard and mouse superiority! Battlefield 3 on pc... Mmmm so good.

sneaky77

I'd love to have a gaming PC but I can't play games without a controller. Obvious genres excluded.

wired xbox controller ftw? lol

I just find a hasle to go to the computer and play games, I have plenty games available on the xbox so I usually go with that anyway, I am considering hooking the pc to the tv.. but i don't have room

Bumhead

Banned
£2.50 a month doesn't kill me, and all my mates are on it so I only ever play when we're all in a party together.

Bleurgh, fair enough.

Thankfully all my mates own superior hardware *cough*

Actually, EASILY the most annoying thing about this generation is how split everything seems to be. PS2 gen used to easy. EVERYBODY had a PS2. EVERYBODY played PES. That was it. No nonsense, no questions asked. Not like that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom