• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
If Liverpool beat United next week I reckon that's an okay-ish start to the season.

For them or us? Us, 9 out of 15 is pretty good considering I always expect a loss at Anfield (although disappointed with our Everton performance), but I do think Liverpool could have done better. On paper you'd expect them to get at least a point against WBA and Arsenal.

Arnie

The performance and mental strength was encouraging, and the result wasn't bad. Not 'happy' but I'm not distraught either.

Going to get completely Mo Farah'd tonight.

Mastadon

Banned
Haven't got any on the pitch so why not take the risk?

Because the likely subs would be Assaidi, Henderson or Enrique. They would have replaced Sterling, Jonjo or Johnson. The latter three were our best attacking outlets throughout the game, and we had a real chance of getting a late goal as we were dominating.

It would have been change for changes sake.

Soi-Fong

I'm not saying they should be fined. I think its awesome. I'm just commenting on how insane the largest sport in my country has become. I think its great that the FA is able to separate the game from the person(s).

Oh yup. NFL has way too many rules and way too many fines for... Well everything.

Still sad to see though from the FA how a player can get fined more for showing sponsored underwear than racism.

Wilbur

Banned
Because the likely subs would be Assaidi, Henderson or Enrique. They would have replaced Sterling, Jonjo or Johnson. The latter three were our best attacking outlets throughout the game, and we had a real chance of getting a late goal as we were dominating.

It would have been change for changes sake.

Little bit of added energy, in Assaidi a little of the unknown for Sunderland. I think it's stupid to do it in the 87th minute because they haven't got any time to bed in but why someone wasn't on around the 75th or so, I dunno

Mastadon

Banned
Little bit of added energy, in Assaidi a little of the unknown for Sunderland. I think it's stupid to do it in the 87th minute because they haven't got any time to bed in but why someone wasn't on around the 75th or so, I dunno

Yeah I get what you're saying. Would have rather had Assaidi on than downing :(

LegoArmo

For them or us? Us, 9 out of 15 is pretty good considering I always expect a loss at Anfield (although disappointed with our Everton performance), but I do think Liverpool could have done better. On paper you'd expect them to get at least a point against WBA and Arsenal.

Yeah, for them. Would want a win for United, hard away game, obviously, but you have to win some of them and we already lost to Everton.

Arnie

I hope Borini doesn't start against Man Utd. If it means Downing starts, so be it
Downing's far more threatening because of his width. He gets a lot of stick but he's a decent threat on the wings, and technically he's sound.

Rotate Borini and Suarez as the central striker.

MPW

Good point for Liverpool, will probably be vital during the relegation battle at the end of the season.

oh_snap_gif-magnum.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
I used to like Stoke because they were the plucky underdogs who knew how to put it up the big teams but now they've become part of the furniture, their thuggery is pissing me off. I want them down.

West Ham I also want down because Fat Sam's a berk.

And QPR because half the team are despicable fart chops. Soz Ji

sohois

Pacheco, Yesil, Morgan, Ngoo, any kind of striker on the bench and there probably would've been another change - Assaidi could only come on for Stirling, who as I said, is already very similar in play style anyway, so it wouldn't have been much of 'unknown'.

Overall, Liverpool left ruing missed chances once again, though this feels far less of a blow than other matches because of the nature of it. Earlier there was a discussion about Suarez and his quality, with Liverpool fans bemoaning the inconsistency. This got me to thinking about liverpool's attack in general, with the conclusion that Liverpool currently have no consistent threat in attack. Back in Benitez's reign, you had Torres, Gerrard at their best, you had Alonso & the ever reliable Kuyt. Even with Hodgson there was Meireles, Torres & Gerrard still performing. When Dalglish came in he saw Meireles & Kuyt get about 20 goals between them. Yet since his second season Liverpool have had no one to consistently rely on. Meireles left to be replaced by the extreme hot & cold of Adam. Kuyt saw his performance decline considerably, as did Gerrard, and new signings did not step up.

Going to this season, in the past match we saw Stirling, 17; Shelvey, 19; & Borini, 21 in the starting line-up, with about 10 pl games between them. Then you have the aging legs of Gerrard & the ever inconsistent Suarez. Really the most consistent attacker is Johnson, a defender. No wonder Liverpool struggle so much. You look at say, Arsenal, and they have been able to rely on the likes of Fabregas, RVP & now Cazorla. United & City have a host of such players, Chelsea the likes of Mata & Drogba; Tottenham, Modric & Bale. It's not just about the striker for Liverpool.

Ugh someone I used to go to school with started roiding up and got tits like that now.

MuMgs.jpg

Met him one day and made a joke about him shooting himself in the ass before training, which he did not appreciate.

deroli

Just came back from Dortmund. Great match :) I'm completly satisfied with the team's performance. Leverkusen could barely create any chances, our whole team defended superbly. And when they got past our midfield, the back four did their job really well. Especially Hummels, who also scored his first goal since ages (he promised us 10 goals last season, ha!).
At the other end of the pitch, Kuba and Götze made great use of the space Leverkusen offered today. But again, our attacking players were supported well by the rest of our team, mainly both full backs and the defensive midfielders.
So all in all, it was a great trip to Dortmund. The only thing that bothered me today were our seats. They were on the opposing stand, but behind the goalline. So whenever my neighbour stood up or bent forward, I had to follow his movements to see anything of the pitch lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom