• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

Worst 1st half in over 12 months. In fact, I'll just pretend it didn't happen. Wtf, guys, wtf. We better step it up or we're gonna get raped on Wednesday.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
A prerecorded 'Angry Conte Speech' would do.

Fuck Chelsea bring out Vidal, Asamoah and Vucinic or Lich.

Stream diditz!

Caceres is doing fine. De Ceglie is playing the simple balls to Giovinco which is all he has to do.

But the instructions on each wing is different. Caceres is being told to make the run out wide and get the ball in to Matri in the box. On the left, the instructions are to pass the ball to Giovinco who is to cut in and take a shot from the edge of the box or try to work his way in ala Del Piero. But my issue is that this leaves Matri with conflicting instructions: hover around the outside of the box to feed Giovinco in with a one two (or Marchisio), but also make the runs when Caceres has the ball. The problem is he's not really the focus of the attack but almost always a pivot as the Genoa LB is doing a real good job tracking back against Caceres.

We need to decide if we're going to either
a) stretch the Genoa defence, in which case De Ceglie needs to be allowed to make the runs on the left and try to lob a cross in or pull back to the edge of the box with Giovinco (Matri still making the run in to either create chance or make space for Gio)
b) ask our wingbacks to alternate their attacks so we go forward in basically a 4-1(Pirlo)-3-2 and flood down the centre.

Anyway, that's my armchair analysis.

Cuddler

De Ceglie and Caceres don't really offer the same drive down the flanks as Asamoah and Licht. Which is a shame, because that's where we're getting the most space.
Completely agree, not only that, they made like thousand cross and all of them were terrible. Pretty terrible first half for us, we still aren't the same team that we were last year, it seems to me that we lack the same motivation and grinta that we had last year.

Yeah Chelsea under Ranieri is the correct answer.

Guys, don't worry. We'll have a better second half. I'd like to see Bendtner given a run out, but I think Matri has the quality to make a goal happen once we get our tactics in order.

Wouldn't actually change anything in terms of personnel, however.

elsk

Banned
Hoffenheim
KuGsj.gif

On the left, the instructions are to pass the ball to Giovinco who is to cut in and take a shot from the edge of the box or try to work his way in ala Del Piero.
I don't even know if this is by design, though. De Ceglie seems uncomfortable taking his man on, but he has tried to get to the line and cross a few times. Those crosses have just been disappointing (and it's not like we have a prime target for them, really), and most of the time he finds himself backing into his man and having to lay it off to Gio by default.

And Matri continues to look lost against weaker sides who sit deep and stack the box. You have to hope for a literally perfect cross to his head, or a perfect through ball (which he more or less got, albeit from an offside position, and which he skied), because he never gets to run at the defense, or the time to place a shot. With his back to the goal he's not really much of a threat in any way, and certainly not as an imposing striker that might tempt a team to push their defensive line up.

Edit: as much as I am sceptical, Bendtner might actually be a better choice here.

Yen

Finished BB S5.
Next season will be rough. No chance of a happy ending. At least of Walt, Jesse or Hank are going to die. Walt probably has cancer too.

Giovinco with a Del Piero-like attempt. Giaccherini did good to follow up but was going to be difficult to finish.

A goal is going to come, fratelli. Have faith.

We should sell Immobile to a Serie D side after this game and deliberately ruin his career.
He is just performing the Giovinco Maneuver: after being sent away to learn your trade, keep scoring against your old club until they concede defeat and put you in the first team.

Edit: this referee is a fussy lil bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom