• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.
When someone told me he beat 5 players, I was expecting to see something Messi'esque. Instead, we see a very determined toe poke and the guy controlling the defenders AI put down his control pad
I knew that a comment like this was coming but if Messi had done something exactly like Buttner did, then everybody would have praised him into the heavens. Messi GOAT! Look how he fools the defenders with his magical feet! But now when it's just some young kid, you react like "hmmph not as good as Messi, defenders r stupid lol"

spidye

This is the man who Real Madrid should have signed this summer,not this guy Modric.
Imo Martinez will be one of the best midfielders of the world in one or two years.Shame on Florentino.

to be honest, I didn't see much of him when he played for bilbao. what makes you think that of him?
I am genuinly interested why we paid 40mil for someone pretty unknown so far

Wait. Shearer criticised Joe Allen for his sideways, simple passing?!

MoTD is shite.

Meus said that meant Allen had been "found out."

That isn't what happened. The instances MOTD reviewed Allen's passing, and criticised it, were specifically when there was a pass on to a player upfield. In the selected replays, Allen no doubt saw these players who were more forward but opted to instead pass it sideways. Shearer's criticism was that in the context of being behind in the match, Allen should be trying to advance the ball whenever there was a good chance to do so.

I personally like Allen. I think he's a classy, neat player. My comment was tongue in cheek

Mumei

Oh wow a post of mine just got deleted

or I'm going insane again

I was going to say you were going insane again, but you are actually correct. It was in the "Female Breasts Are Bigger Than Ever..." topic.

Going to use this as a signature. k Mumei plz.

LPJMZ.gif

lol

Is it just me or did it seem like the defenders were completely half-assing it there?

Wilbur

Banned
I knew that a comment like this was coming but if Messi had done something exactly like Buttner did, then everybody would have praised him into the heavens. Messi GOAT! Look how he fools the defenders with his magical feet! But now when it's just some young kid, you react like "hmmph not as good as Messi, defenders r stupid lol"

Yep. A lot of goals Messi scores are down to shit defending.

Well, I wouldn't. Personally I don't see how anyone could praise anything but the determination Buttner had in this instance because I see no evidence of the skill associated with beating 5 players here. Let's look at the goal more carefully.

1. He beats his first man well, goes past him
2. But his touch was heavy and a Wigan defender comes in front
3. Buttner actually stops his stride in this instance thinking the defender had the ball
4. But somehow, the Wigan #4 misses the ball under his feet
5. Buttner sees this and is first to react and toe pokes it ahead of the incoming leg of another defender, who doesn't lunge because he realises the angle is too narrow for Buttner to shoot. Instead, and rightly so, he stays with his man (Welbeck) to prevent a pass back across the face of goal.
6. Amazingly, the shot goes on the keepers near post - the same post he was planted at.

Great effort by Buttner but lets not exaggerate. If it was one continuous dribble into the box and the shot went in, then yeah that'd be something special.

I was going to say you were going insane again, but you are actually correct. It was in the "Female Breasts Are Bigger Than Ever..." topic.
So you can still see all the deleted posts? It's funny that it's still in my subscription folder (subscribe after post) so my posts isn't completely gone I guess

Oxx

Wolves v Leicester on a Sunday lunch-time. Feels just like watching Division 1 football on ITV during the 90s.

Bring Steve Bull on.

Kyoufu

Wolves v Leicester on a Sunday lunch-time. Feels just like watching Division 1 football on ITV during the 90s.

Bring Steve Bull on.

I refuse to watch that.

Boring day of football. :/

bring back international football

|OT5| Bring back International Football

Zabojnik

#Juventus starting 11 against Genoa: Buffon, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Caceres, Giaccherini, Pirlo, Marchisio, De Ceglie, Giovinco, Matri

Not feeling Caceres in the RWB position, but whatever. No Lucio, Vidal, Asamoah and Vucinic.

#Juventus starting 11 against Genoa: Buffon, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Caceres, Giaccherini, Pirlo, Marchisio, De Ceglie, Giovinco, Matri

Not feeling Caceres in the RWB position, but whatever. No Lucio, Vidal, Asamoah and Vucinic.
Giak playing the Vidal role? I hope his little legs are up to all that running.

Messi

I still cant get over the atmosphere in the first 5 mins at the Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán last night. It was crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom