• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Good luck, you will need it =P

XTg4D.gif

Wilbur

Banned
That Hillsborough stuff that Paul posted is shocking. Hopefully what happens today is some way to appeasing the families of the 96.

Buttner would be nice to see but apart from Schneiderlin's goal Evra hasn't started that poorly this season. I really hope Smalling and Jones come back as soon as they can because I'm still a little worried about Vidic. Isn't showing as much as he could, which is understandable I suppose.

Who do we have again?

Wilbur

Banned
Is this Buttner fella actually any good or are you guys hype-hoping(c) he is? Where did he play before?

According to the Dutchies on here he's okay, we all just want to see him because he's a massive pikey and I want to see if he brings a knuckle duster or a sawn off onto the pitch

Wes

venison crêpe
Cameron says many of the findings are deeply troubling.

Cameron says the families have long believed that there was an attempt by the authorities to misrepresent what happened. The families were right. There were briefings to the media, and they led to the Sun story attacking fans. Today's report says this information came from a Sheffield news agency that was reporting comments by police officers.

Some 164 police statements were amended, he says. Many removed comments attacking the police.

Officers carried out police national computer checks on the dead to impugn their reputation.

Blood tests were also taken from the dead to see if they had been drinking. This was unacceptable, he says. Drinking levels were normal for an event like this.

But there was no evidence that the government tried to conceal the truth.

One government briefing said the police had been close to deceitful. It said this was familiar.

Cameron says the then government should have done more to challenge the false things said about the fans.

PaulLFC

Cameron says the families have long believed that there was an attempt by the authorities to misrepresent what happened. The families were right. There were briefings to the media, and they led to the Sun story attacking fans. Today's report says this information came from a Sheffield news agency that was reporting comments by police officers.

Some 164 police statements were amended, he says. Many removed comments attacking the police.

Officers carried out police national computer checks on the dead to impugn their reputation.

Blood tests were also taken from the dead to see if they had been drinking. This was unacceptable, he says. Drinking levels were normal for an event like this.

One government briefing said the police had been close to deceitful. It said this was familiar.

Cameron says the then government should have done more to challenge the false things said about the fans.
He's just made a full apology on behalf of the government and the state, as has Ed Miliband.

The attorney general will examine the findings of the new report as soon as possible and decide whether to quash the verdict of the original inquest and order a new inquest. For the high court to decide.

Maybe, finally, there will be justice.

Bo-Locks

I'm not going to pretend to understand all the intricacies of the Hillsborough debacle, but the main stand out news to me is that:

164 police statements were "significantly altered" by the police.
The source of the Sun's article was a local Sheffield agency that got the information from the police, who were looking to pin the blame on the fans.
The government did not cover up the disaster, but knew about the incompetence of the police.
The scope of the original inquiry was flawed because it incorrectly only looked at evidence prior to 15:15, and the links between blood alcohol content and the deaths were flawed.
The original flawed inquest that will now be reviewed by the Attorney General.

Overall, very scathing on the police.

Hixx

They even did blood tests on the children?

It's not just depressing, it's fucking scary how far they went to find ways to misplace the blame.

Bumhead

Banned
So the police covered It up? Desciplable.

That's part of the issue, yes. The Hillsborough Disaster is too complex to ever be pinned on any one attribute. Instead, questions have to be asked of individual components of the disaster.

The major take away incidents today are the spreading of false information by South Yorkshire Police, the altering of documents and the fact that the original inquest stopped after 3:15, which meant the truth has been hidden regarding lives that could have been saved after that time.

PaulLFC

What exactly is your definition of "Justice" at this point? Has today changed your perception on anything?
An inquest that confirms what we know and what is contained in the report - the fans were not to blame, this was a cover up in an attempt to blame them for something they were in no way responsible for. All evidence should be examined, including that beyond the 15:15 "cut off point" - it has been said today that with better response from the emergency services, there is a significant chance some of the fans alive after 15:15 could have survived.

dc89

It's not just depressing, it's fucking scary how far they went to find ways to misplace the blame.

People do dispicable things when they get that desperate. It's not excuse though. It's truly awful.

Bumhead

Banned

I don't understand what the fuck they were doing with this.

Even in a situation where people previously talked about "blame", that blame was NEVER attributed to the fans who died. The fans who were in the ground early, who were in many cases under age, who ended up losing their lives. Even according to any blame, why the fuck would you take blood tests of the victims?

Just a colossal fuck up on the part of the authorities.

PaulLFC

Indeed, and also:

"I understand the panel's report will say that blood alcohol levels were taken from survivors in hospital without their knowledge."

"HIP: Coroner questioned need for ANY post mortems as presumption was that all died of same cause." - this is illegal.

Bumhead

Banned
An inquest that confirms what we know and what is contained in the report - the fans were not to blame, this was a cover up in an attempt to blame them for something they were in no way responsible for. All evidence should be examined, including that beyond the 15:15 "cut off point" - it has been said today that with better response from the emergency services, there is a significant chance some of the fans alive after 15:15 could have survived.

Fair enough.

Was a genuine question, by the way, not loaded in any way. Simply curious as to how today changes things in the eyes of the average Liverpool supporter.

PaulLFC

Fair enough.

Was a genuine question, by the way, not loaded in any way. Simply curious as to how today changes things in the eyes of the average Liverpool supporter.
Yeah I know :) Apologies if my reply seemed harsh in any way, wasn't meant to be. Just a very emotional day today, even if I was too young to know of the events at the time. It's disgraceful that the families have had to wait this long for justice, but finally they are on the home straight.

TrueBlue

smh

PaulLFC

From the BBC live feed, thankfully not the opinion of anyone else featured there by the looks of it:

"John texts: A tragedy that couldn't be avoided because of no precedent to learn from. Lots of blame for all parties including fans outside with no tickets"

Staggering. Can some people just not accept the truth?

On a more positive note, the statements from the House of Commons are very encouraging and there are calls for the S*n to print a front page apology and criminal charges to be brought against anyone involved in altering police statements. Alison McGovern nearly in tears speaking then.

Bumhead

Banned
Yeah I know :) Apologies if my reply seemed harsh in any way, wasn't meant to be. Just a very emotional day today, even if I was too young to know of the events at the time. It's disgraceful that the families have had to wait this long for justice, but finally they are on the home straight.

Yep. I said before and I'll say it again, the main thing today is about getting closure for those who need it.

dc89

The Sun - smfh. 23 years ago they were bang out of order and now after the evidence says Liverpool fans were not the cause they just Tweet about Rihanna.

You can't make it up. Absolute disgrace and they have no shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom