• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he would. Especially the ones who seldom perform these days.
Yeah but in fairness to Frogson man management is his domain so even though its cringeworthy I'm okay with him chatting shit if its better for the players.

His tactical decisions however. Hmm.

Fry

ibi4ZvNOzK2OF0.gif

Never seen him finishing them off as good as he did today. Too bad he's inconsistent as fuck.

Clegg

If you look at the squad then CM is really the only position that needs a new signing.

A new centre half would be nice too actually.

Rad-

Rushed may of been the wrong word. SAF did watch him play for Dortmund. But I feel, like you said SAF should of had higher priorities with buying a Defensive midfielder rather than an attacking midfielder. Of course I am happy with the buy and he is a great player. It's the actual tactical buy that i'm a bit annoyed with.

Fergie isn't going to buy a DM. Playing a DM is not his style. What United midfield needs is a midfield general. In the Marchisio/Toure mold.

Clegg

I don't think there were many good midfieders available during summer tbh.

Modric, M'Vila and Martinez are the obvious ones but Spurs wouldn't sell to us and Martinez was way overpriced.

M'Vila seems to be a massive JT so no club was interested in signing him.

Edit: I forgot about Dembele.

Frogie plz.

elsk

Banned

Modric, M'Vila and Martinez are the obvious ones but Spurs wouldn't sell to us and Martinez was way overpriced.

Frogie plz.

Vidal, Sahin, etc there were plenty of options for cheap in the last year.

jtb

Banned
A few frustrations from the Arsenal game.

Firstly, fuck you Mannone. This guy is no Szczesny, not even close. Distribution is shocking, decision making is woeful, useless on crosses and for me Szczesny can't return fast enough. Koscielny had an absolute shocker, worst game I've seen him play in over a year. What the hell happened?

Giroud's link up play is fantastic and showed today why he should be starting. The only problem is he needs to hit the fucking target with his shots, force the keeper to save. If the keeper saves it so be it but missing the target completely is just criminal. Theo is wank, has a decent finish on him but doesn't know how to get into position and doesn't show a footballing brain. Our entire attack was shocking today, made worse by Wenger still trialling Ramsey on the wing where he doesn't play well and is inconsistent as hell.

The only players who I thought played well were Jenkinson, Gibbs and Arteta. Everyone else were either below their usual standard (Vermaelen, Cazorla, Podolski etc...) while others were terrible (Gervinho, Kos, Mannone, Ramsey etc...)

What a disapointing and unacceptable defeat that was.

Just saw this, figured I'd add a couple thoughts too.

Agreed on Mannone. How is it Arsenal goalkeepers get injured all the fucking time, while Brad Friedel and Pepe Reina go seasons upon seasons without missing a league game. Fucking ridiculous. Should've bought Lloris or a half competent backup (Wasn't Guzan available on the market? Ugh).

Koscielny was awful, but that was added to the fact that Vermaelen was just appalling. Horrible, horrible decision making. The only reason the second FK (which, to be fair to Kos, was going in with or without his touch) was conceded was because Verm went barging up field, waiting around in the box for a bit, then had to spring back and concede a foul on the edge of the area when we lost possession. Stupid. One of the two needs to be dropped for Mertesacker because at least he's not going to be running around doing stupid shit, even if he is ridiculously slow. I'd argue Verm was even more at fault than Kos was for the loss—just because he is captain does not mean he should be an automatic starter.

Giroud was promising in the few minutes he was on; link play was great, pulled a couple decent shots off. For all the shit he got for missing the sitter, he also powered a great effort at Cech moments earlier and the team was so much more creative with him on than without him. He's a physical presence that understands the positioning of strikers; Gervinho's just wandering around the halfway mark, where Giroud pulls defenders out of position, he is an aerial target, etc. He needs to be starting more games because Gervinho makes us a less effective team, Giroud a more effective one—and he'll be even more effective when he gets a run of games that actually allows him to build up confidence.

Ramsey was sloppy in possession. Still think he can really grow into that central midfield role along with Jack to provide a lot of energy and dynamism, but maybe Wenger was right to stick him out on the flank in a more defensive role because he wasn't good enough in the middle today.

In the end, not good enough. Chelsea had 3 shots on target, 2 goals. Arsenal were just poor, lacked creativity, and were choked by a Chelsea side that were gifted the win.

Rad-

Frogie plz.

I have said it before but I want that Oliver Torres kid. Looked like a hybrid of Xavi and Scholes in the U19 cup. There were rumours that Ferguson was after him too. Get him before Barca or Madrid does!

LegoArmo

Ferguson wants a midfielder who can run all day, non stop pressure, one who can tackle, and one who can control the game and pass like Scholes. In one player.

It doesn't exist. That's why United haven't signed a midfielder.

Hixx

Just seen Gomez's red card - we were almost behind it and it looked innocuous but I can see why Webb give it. Though I'd find it hard to disagree with anyone who said it was harsh.

pulga

Banned
POGBA IN

There's a midfielder United couldve used!

Ferguson wants a midfielder who can run all day, non stop pressure, one who can tackle, and one who can control the game and pass like Scholes. In one player.

It doesn't exist. That's why United haven't signed a midfielder.

but but but

Clegg

I have said it before but I want that Oliver Torres kid. Looked like a hybrid of Xavi and Scholes in the U19 cup. There were rumours that Ferguson was after him too. Get him before Barca or Madrid does!

I'm sure he'd be a good player eventually. But our team needs the finished article.

Someone that is already a good player and would have an immediate positive effect on our midfield.

I really don't rate Valdes. I mean its not his fault that goal but I do think Barce would be better served with a much better goalkeeper.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Richard Keys @tSKeysandGray
“Tim Sherwood told us today Spurs were tired – over trained – and unhappy with AVB. Doesn’t look like that to me.”

If it was Sherwood spreading that shite that was in the papers then he can fuck right off to Blackburn. Just because AVB doesn't let him go into the dressing-room at half time anymore.

That looked easy...

That's what happens when you have two midfielders pretending to be defenders. Also Valdes.

near

Gold Member
If it was Sherwood spreading that shite that was in the papers then he can fuck right off to Blackburn. Just because AVB doesn't let him go into the dressing-room at half time anymore.

Sounds like bull. Bale said in a recent interview how AVB is so open minded with the players and is very approachable like if they feel the training work load is too much then he will reduce it etc. The team did not looked tired or unhappy today at all :s

Gundogan, Jiracek, Badelj, Xhaka, Guarín, Gargano and with the RvP you surely could've signed Hernanes.
Yes please!

Never gonna happen though.

At least Kagawa scored today. Well done Shinji. You did good.

Sounds like bull. Bale said in a recent interview how AVB is so open minded with the players and is very approachable like if they feel the training work load is too much then he will reduce it etc. The team did not looked tired or unhappy today at all :s
You could tell at the end the players and AVB get on just fine.

He might have problems with other people in and around the club but his players are clearly in tune with him. I really hope AVB comes good at Spurs. I think he is a really good coach, he needs a break and a club and fans who allow him some freedom and time to make mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom