• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.
20120929-esd7ekrf1rdsapkhup63uem3x1.jpg

near

Gold Member
Call me salty but I honestly didn't even think Tottenham were that good.

They earned the win and dug in so props for that.

But considering how bad United were in the first half I can only think of two chances Spurs had and they scored from both. The first goal was just shocking defending. The second one granted is a good counter attack but again United's defenders were nowhere. Maybe the Vertonghen header is the only other chance I can think of.

I thought the first half in general was pretty poor quality.

Second half was a bit crazy. The goals at the start and then 15 minutes of constant pressure from United was good. After that the last 20 minutes were just bad. United did nothing of note and Spurs were just shitting it when really they probably could have been more composed and made some chances.

I agree and disagree. I think we made you guys look terrible in the first half and vis-versa in the second. Our passing was spot on for the first two goals in the first half, we earned those goals out of no where, we made those chances available. Your midfield wasn't particularly strong so it helped, we played decently, could have played better if we were more relaxed but I think the players did there job well tactically. Second half, Utd came out 4-4-2 and bullied everything. So there was a clear difference in motivation and effort, from both teams in both halves. Spurs were forced to clear the ball and lose possession because Utd were pressing harder and higher up the field.

Utd played poor at times and then so did Spurs. But when both teams played there best, they created goals that were very high standard.

Tc91

What did everybody make of the penalty calls btw. Somebody said there were 3 incidents but I can only think of 2.

Vertonghen on Nani which I think was a definite penalty.

Sandro handball which I guess you can give but I didn't really think it was a pen.

Thought the Nani one was a penalty.

Didn't see the handball.

Kagawa one was debatable imo.

I thought the Gallas challenge on RVP early on was abit dangerous.

Rad-

What did everybody make of the penalty calls btw. Somebody said there were 3 incidents but I can only think of 2.

Sandro handball which I guess you can give but I didn't really think it was a pen.

Walker on Kag. I thought it was the most obvious of them. The handball was definitely not a pen.

Vertonghen on Nani, pen. Walker on Kagawa, pen. Sandro handball, nah.

Walker on Kagawa, not sure if it was though.
Oh that's the one.

Yeah I'm not sure. The replay wasn't clear. At first I thought Walker had won the ball but on the replay it kinda looked like the ball was inside Kagawa's foot and Walker came in from the other side. My stream was a bit choppy so maybe it was pretty clear he got the ball like the commentator was saying.

Reminds me that Fergie is going to go and have a right old moan at the refs. Idiot.

Zabojnik

JUVOWNEEEEEEEEEEEDDD!!!!! ARTUROOOOOOOOO THE KING IN THE NORTH VIDAAAAAAAAAALLLLL!

What the fuck are you guys talking about? JUVEEEEEE!!!

Ferguson said: "The one in the 1st half was a clear penalty kick but maybe Nani made a meal of it, maybe he didn't need to do that."

But then he also said: "Four minutes of added time is an insult to the game. It's a disgrace."

Ferguson said: "The one in the 1st half was a clear penalty kick but maybe Nani made a meal of it, maybe he didn't need to do that."

But then he also said: "Four minutes of added time is an insult to the game. It's a disgrace."
:lol

Oh Frogson.

He's probably right about Nani, but I can't blame Nani there really. Vertonghen really had a hold of him. He probably thought it was a certain pen.

Soi-Fong

Oh Frogson.

He's probably right about Nani, but I can't blame Nani there really. Vertonghen really had a hold of him. He probably thought it was a certain pen.

Nani was pretty bad today still.

We should really drop both wingers and just try to go through the middle. Nani constantly crossing in the second half did not do anything for us.

I really want to see a formation with no wingers whatsoever.

It went over four minutes and those four minutes came out of nowhere to begin with lol. Fergie time!
There were 4 subs during the second half so that's 2 minutes already. Not crazy to find another 2 minutes for other minor stoppages and time wasting.

There were then 2 further subs inside the allotted 4 minutes.

Ref had it right.

Nani was pretty bad today still.

We should really drop both wingers and just try to go through the middle. Nani constantly crossing in the second half did not do anything for us.

I really want to see a formation with no wingers whatsoever.
Think Nani was okay but agree about the wingers. You know it's never gonna happen though.

Oh Frogson.

It was a penalty. The Kagawa incident everyone here seems to think was a definite penalty as well. I thought it was a good tackle, so I need to see it again. We need a gif I think.

But seriously Jesus wept I am fucked and its 8pm

At the engineers institute in London for my cousins wedding, load of fancy pants here but I showed no shame and smashed the free champagne

Moobabe

Worrying this is that it's not even uncharacteristic anymore. Sure today was maybe worse than usual but generally we are getting very complacent in midfield and at the back. The fact that Rio nor Evans like to get out and attack the ball doesn't help either.

I agree - this has been coming for United. Conceding 2 against Southampton, poor against Galatasaray, poor against Liverpool, Everton and Fulham - this is hardly a one off performance from you guys, if anything that second half performance has been the only uncharacteristic thing I've seen from you this season.

Soi-Fong

It was a penalty. The Kagawa incident everyone here seems to think was a definite penalty as well. I thought it was a good tackle, so I need to see it again. We need a gif I think.

Nani one was a definite as well as the Kagawa one in my opinion. But still, whatever, you win some you lose some.

Will shut up some of the posters here at least that thinks United win every penalty they call for.

Fergie

Banned
Glad to see Sahin is gradually coming back, after I put him off couple of weeks ago.

At least my FF went well. Might have to get Aguero back...

Nani one was a definite as well as the Kagawa one in my opinion. But still, whatever, you win some you lose some.

Will shut up some of the posters here at least that thinks United win every penalty they call for.

Don't think that will happen. To most people, Froggie has the Referees' in his back pocket. I do also think some people are joking so its not clear cut.

If Sligo Rogers and Ajaccio win tonight, I win £140. Both are winning at the moment but I've been robbed several times at the last second. You should see my betslip history, its Shakespearean levels of tragedy

near

Gold Member
There were 4 subs during the second half so that's 2 minutes already. Not crazy to find another 2 minutes for other minor stoppages and time wasting.

There were then 2 further subs inside the allotted 4 minutes.

Ref had it right.

Think Nani was okay but agree about the wingers. You know it's never gonna happen though.

When you put it like that I guess your right. I just wanted the game to end, we've conceded too many last minute goals.

On the topic of penalty claims, on reflection Nani's was a penalty but he definitely made a meal of it. There was a billion other shouts by fans every time the ball hit one of our defenders so I didn't think much of them.

vinnie

Neo Member
Glad to see Sahin is gradually coming back, after I put him off couple of weeks ago.

Yeah It's been really good to see Sahin coming back to match fitness. He played solid today and in the league cup for Liverpool and I hope he has earned his spot for next weeks lineup.

where was kagawa playing once rooney came on?

thought they linked well.
Off the left side. He did quite well there you're right. I don't wanna see him shunted out there for good but Giggs and Nani have been terrible on that side and cut in endlessly and aimlessly. I'd rather have Kagawa cutting in from there because he is smart and picks good passes.

Clegg

Well that was the most inept performance I've seen from United in a long while.

Giggs was shite and we improved immeasurably when Rooney went on. He was subbed at halftime which is something SAF very rarely does. So maybe the penny has finally dropped for him re: Giggs.

Spurs were deserving of the win but I can't help but feel we gifted them two of their goals. Vertonghen and Bale weren't tackled or harried when in possession and they scored from that. But what annoys me most about that performance was our passiveness. In the first half we were more than happy to let the game come to us. But in the second we actually took control of the game an chances came because of that.

RVP should have scored and we should have done more with the ball over the last twenty minutes. Seriously, we barely created anything from 75 minutes on.

And you guys should cop on when it comes to doicare. He's done this for the last year. Every time United lose he starts posting about how it was undeserved, and every time people fall for his trolling.

dc89

DDR deserves better than this. He had his chance, and didn't want to come/bottled it.

This is his reward/punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom