• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulga

Banned
Holy fucking shit, this thread shot up to like 30 new pages since last time I posted. What the fuck happened?

JUVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Kikarian

Well that was the most inept performance I've seen from United in a long while.

Giggs was shite and we improved immeasurably when Rooney went on. He was subbed at halftime which is something SAF very rarely does. So maybe the penny has finally dropped for him re: Giggs.

Spurs were deserving of the win but I can't help but feel we gifted them two of their goals. Vertonghen and Bale weren't tackled or harried when in possession and they scored from that. But what annoys me most about that performance was our passiveness. In the first half we were more than happy to let the game come to us. But in the second we actually took control of the game an chances came because of that.

RVP should have scored and we should have done more with the ball over the last twenty minutes. Seriously, we barely created anything from 75 minutes on.

And you guys should cop on when it comes to doicare. He's done this for the last year. Every time United lose he starts posting about how it was undeserved, and every time people fall for his trolling.
We were such a lazy team in the second half. Kagawa could of worked a bit better, he doesn't seem to know his role, CM CAM etc. Along with Carrick, who seems static with the ball.

Second half, we improved immensely. Bringing Kagawa off though with his performance at the start of the second was a bad move I think. He was linking well with Rooney. You're right that we gifted two of there goals, Ferdinand could of attempted to block Bale's shot.

Overall, we didn't look like at team until the start and later stages of the second half.

Clegg

BTW someone said that United fans and the media have always praised SAF and his tactics. But that just isn't true at all.

He's an excellent man manager and motivator but he's not brilliant with his tactics. We've been calling for a three man midfield for a while now as we're getting overrun in midfield. But we're still stuck with a two man midfield and wingers. He must be questioned over his continual selection of Giggs for the big games and his continued refusal to sign a central midfielder.

If he wants to stick with a two man midfield then he needs to buy a new CM as the player we have just don't suit that system.

operon

We don't need to bring our best trolling for this unitex result when doicare is doing such a great for all the non united fans
We all know he is in no way representative of united fans

Fry

Ok.

iG7dOkQoP6lFz.png

edit: YOU ALREADY PUT ALABA :lol :lol :lol

iBylyqsyT7OIZ.png

Zabojnik

Zab, Shake, Yurt(?), anyone have a link to the Matri goal by chance? Went to get milk for my coffee and missed it, cazzo!

Nope, sorry. Suhni doesn't care about Juve (anymore).

First half should've ended 4 - 0, two fucking crossbars. We need to score another asap in the second half and then put the game to sleep.

Zeman is the best manager on the planet. BARCEROMAAAAAA!!!

Clegg

I fully expect SAF is thinking we need another striker.

That would sort out all our problems.

And I know Nani scored but he still didn't do enough for me.

Giggs shouldn't have started and neither should Nani.

If Rooney wasn't ready for the full 90 minutes SAF should have went with a Carrick/Scholes/Clev midfield.

Lightning

Banned
A few frustrations from the Arsenal game.

Firstly, fuck you Mannone. This guy is no Szczesny, not even close. Distribution is shocking, decision making is woeful, useless on crosses and for me Szczesny can't return fast enough. Koscielny had an absolute shocker, worst game I've seen him play in over a year. What the hell happened?

Giroud's link up play is fantastic and showed today why he should be starting. The only problem is he needs to hit the fucking target with his shots, force the keeper to save. If the keeper saves it so be it but missing the target completely is just criminal. Theo is wank, has a decent finish on him but doesn't know how to get into position and doesn't show a footballing brain. Our entire attack was shocking today, made worse by Wenger still trialling Ramsey on the wing where he doesn't play well and is inconsistent as hell.

The only players who I thought played well were Jenkinson, Gibbs and Arteta. Everyone else were either below their usual standard (Vermaelen, Cazorla, Podolski etc...) while others were terrible (Gervinho, Kos, Mannone, Ramsey etc...)

What a disapointing and unacceptable defeat that was.

Cuddler

What a great first half for Juventus, really happy for Matri, let's hope that Bendtner can do the same in the second half if he plays. And about Roma, last year was because of Luis Enrique and this year?

Kikarian

Anyone else feel Kagawa was a rushed buy? I mean he is a fantastic player and is great to have in the team, but did we need him?

Why didn't we buy a Defensive Midfielder, which we needed the most? Instead we Bought a Striker, Attacking Midfielder and Left Back.

LegoArmo

Anyone else feel Kagawa was a rushed buy? I mean he is a fantastic player and is great to have in the team, but did we need him?

Why didn't we buy a Defensive Midfielder, which we needed the most? Instead we Bought a Striker, Attacking Midfielder and Left Back.

United have always been about attack. Why not buy both, though.

Zabojnik

Bonucci and Vucinic almost came to blows, lol. As I understood it Bonucci was raging against a Roma player who was protesting a non-assigned handball (there wasn't one), Vucinic went to Bonucci and tried to calm him down, altercation (almost) ensued. DEVI STARE CALMO BONNY, TESTA DI CAZZO.

Come on Vecchia Signora!

ibyfbU2jQw0izP.gif

pulga

Banned
Bonucci and Vucinic almost came to blows, lol. As I understood it Bonucci was raging against a Roma player who was protesting for a handball (there wasn't one), Vucinic went to Bonucci and tried to calm him down, altercation (almost) ensued. DEVI STARE CALMO BONNY, TESTA DI CAZZO.

Just saw the replay on tv, what the fuck is wrong with them :lol

EditL MIRKOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! so close

Conor 419

Banned
As a Spurs fan, I'd say we got lucky. Despite our excellent first half performance, we got absolutely trashed in the second half and I really don't get why it came to that. The main reason we won was due to United losing momentum during their merk period, we did do some decent defending as well though.

I wish we won convincingly, I would have loved to piss off the AVB haters.

Kyoufu

As a Spurs fan, I'd say we got lucky. Despite our excellent first half performance, we got absolutely trashed in the second half and I really don't get why it came to that. The main reason we won was due to United losing momentum during their merk period, we did do some decent defending though.

AVB still sucks.

So does playing two 55 year olds.

FuturusX

Spurs were lucky to hold on. Very negative in the 2nd half. But credit where credit is due..a good 3 points.

But this game is emblamatic of the current state of UTD. They are a team with some very strong pieces (strikers)...But currently you have the feeling a lot of well organized teams can get at them.

The injuries are of course a factor. But somethng deeper is broken. The engine is getting old (Scholes) and other teams have moved beyond them, technically.

They are looking like a third place team.

Rad-

BTW someone said that United fans and the media have always praised SAF and his tactics. But that just isn't true at all.

He's an excellent man manager and motivator but he's not brilliant with his tactics. We've been calling for a three man midfield for a while now as we're getting overrun in midfield. But we're still stuck with a two man midfield and wingers. He must be questioned over his continual selection of Giggs for the big games and his continued refusal to sign a central midfielder.

If he wants to stick with a two man midfield then he needs to buy a new CM as the player we have just don't suit that system.

I don't think it's just the tactics. He is a great tactical manager too. His creation of 2007 4-3-3 was ahead of its time in some ways (no pure strikers with Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo all switching places throughout the match).

I think he's just too stubborn to find the next Scholes, and doesn't want to buy "lesser" CMs even if they would help the midfield too. In some ways I understand because it's not the United way to buy "lesser" players but I don't think there is a choice atm.

Clegg

He definitely wasn't a panic buy imo. United were after Sneijder in the summer of 2011.He also plays in a similar position to Kagawa. So we know that United were looking for an attacking midfielder for at least a year. Kagawa would have been extensively scouted and SAF even went to a Dortmund match to watch him in person. He's played well enough for me to be happy with his purchase.

However, you can most certainly ask about Fergusons priorities. We've added some world class attacking talent but nothing in midfield to keeps possession and create chances for them.

dc89

Do you expect him to criticise his players in public?

And wasn't Mancini unhappy about Joe Hart publicly criticising Citys performance against Madrid?

It's management 101 ffs.

Of course he shouldn't criticise his own players. But that about letting the ref's keep track if time thing, what a load of testicle.

jtb

Banned
Kagawa was a good buy; it's RVP that was a bit more questionable given how many good strikers United already have. Especially if he was bought at the expense of a competent central midfielder (he obviously wasn't, but opportunity cost and all that)

Fergie

Banned
As a Spurs fan, I'd say we got lucky. Despite our excellent first half performance, we got absolutely trashed in the second half and I really don't get why it came to that. The main reason we won was due to United losing momentum during their merk period, we did do some decent defending as well though.

Not over till Chelski match. That's going to be some intense game.

Kagawa was a good buy; it's RVP that was a bit more questionable given how many good strikers United already have. Especially if he was bought at the expense of a competent central midfielder (he obviously wasn't, but opportunity cost and all that)
He's worth it either way, after his last season form. He also has amazing tekkers, lets just say I'm happy he's in our team.

Clegg

I think RVP was a good buy too.

But SAF may not have got his priorities in order regarding our squad.

Fergie

Banned
I just hope this summer, Fergie breaks this not buying proper CM's, Scholes and Giggs aren't getting any younger at all. At least even try some youngsters for once Froggie.

😩

Of course he shouldn't criticise his own players. But that about letting the ref's keep track if time thing, what a load of testicle.
Thats gonna be the headline tmrw. Not that we were shit for 45 minutes.

Protecting his players and whatever but sometimes I wonder if Fergie would be better off hanging them out to dry a little.

Kikarian

He definitely wasn't a panic buy imo. United were after Sneijder in the summer of 2011.He also plays in a similar position to Kagawa. So we know that United were looking for an attacking midfielder for at least a year. Kagawa would have been extensively scouted and SAF even went to a Dortmund match to watch him in person. He's played well enough for me to be happy with his purchase.

However, you can most certainly ask about Fergusons priorities. We've added some world class attacking talent but nothing in midfield to keeps possession and create chances for them.
Rushed may of been the wrong word. SAF did watch him play for Dortmund. But I feel, like you said SAF should of had higher priorities with buying a Defensive midfielder rather than an attacking midfielder. Of course I am happy with the buy and he is a great player. It's the actual tactical buy that i'm a bit annoyed with.

dc89

Thats gonna be the headline tmrw. Not that we were shit for 45 minutes.

Protecting his players and whatever but sometimes I wonder if Fergie would be better off hanging them out to dry a little.

Maybe he would. Especially the ones who seldom perform these days.

K1LLER7

I don't get the AVB hate. He's got a great team, who are playing very well. All he needs IMO is a player to replace Modric and maybe a CB. If he got Moutinho then maybe he would have had a player to keep the passing ticking and a player with that bit of extra quality.

I think they could make the Top 4 this year, depending on how Arsenal go and if Spurs beat the teams lower in the table. Don't see United, City or Chelsea dropping out.

Clegg

If Anderson and Cleverley could be trusted not to get injured and shit then we wouldn't be in such desperate need for a CM.

Of course this would only work if we moved to three in the middle. If we picked three players out of Fletcher/Carrick/Clev/Ando then we'd have a decent midfield.

But three of these players have been sick/injured for the last year so a new midfielder would probably be necessary even if it was just to bolster the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom