• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidye

Much like this? Fox aired a live suicide.

http://youtu.be/TZttwwbM-AU

13488624280426lpt8.gif

what the fuck?
why?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Last night our fans were pulling a “silent protest”. They had valid reasons, but not in our first home game in Europe you fuckers.
cjDuR.gif
cjDuR.gif

The upside down banners was a nice touch. :p
Yeah, I enjoyed the first one so been considering the second for a while. Just don't want it to be one of them impulse buys which I play today then never again.
Brilliant game! You won't regret it.

Facism

Gold Member
Alex de Souza:

:(

yup. fener's chairman gets convicted of match-fixing and corruption, given 6 years in jail, banned from everything football related, still sitting on the board and walking around like a free man.

now he's sacrificed the heart of the team in favour of a tactically senile incompetent manager who's thrown away most of our games this season thus far.

near

Gold Member
I don't watch the news whenever a kid goes missing like this. I know that keeping it it in the media is beneficial, but it's as though the 24/7 broadcasters (especially Sky News) are revelling in it, and I find it really quite sick. So far I've seen Sky News reporters shove cameras in the faces of members of the public who were searching through fields in the rain, and I've even seen them "interview" delivery drivers who were just dropping off food at the community centre. I mean, Jesus Christ. What is the point in any of that? I find it really quite disturbing.

I hope the girl is found alive.

They do it to get viewer recognition as top reporters, but I don't think the majority of the public even wants to see anything like that. A report and update on the case is acceptable, and in some cases it helps solve a case quicker with people calling in with new information, but live broadcasts of crime scenes are stupid and unnecessary since it's always disturbing images. 6 o'clock BBC news is all I watch if at all when it comes to news.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
yup. fener's chairman gets convicted of match-fixing and corruption, given 6 years in jail, banned from everything football related, still sitting on the board and walking around like a free man.

now he's sacrificed the heart of the team in favour of a tactically senile incompetent manager who's thrown away most of our games this season thus far.

Classy fans know how to treat him though. (at his home on the night Fenerbahçe released him)

Kyoufu

You didn't win shit back then, what makes you think that'd change today?

Get back in your place, you've had your 9 months in the sun :D

Because the teams today are pretty shit.

Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle etc of 1999 would be reeeeeeal scary today.

oliviakippis.gif

Classy move.

Meh free money for me may as well share the enjoyment

I was looking around for a naughty blazer and the nicest I found was one in gap, I was about to buy it and the guy on the till said if i give him my email address he will add me onto the system and ill get a 30% discount via email so I did that. I didn't get an email, maybe I pulled.

Regarding little April, the police aren't saying much more but I just hope he hasn't told them he killed her and threw her in the river as they seem to be focussing on the river :(

Kyoufu, our teams would be fucked these days. We'd be competing with those same teams, with the added challenge of City and Chelsea. It was hard enough when it was Man Utd alone consistently finishing in the top 2

Messi

“Tomorrow they will announce that Puyol will be out for 10 months. On Thursday it will be three months; Friday down to one. On Saturday he will be ‘doubtful’. On Sunday he will play.”

@La Liga en numeros

Twitter comments from Puyols barca team mates.

Pique: “I love you a lot #ÀnimsCarles”

Isaac Cuenca: “All my support for @Carles5puyol. I’m so sorry. #animopuyol”

Pinto: “Get well soon @Carles5puyol after the storm always comes the calm. A big hug. #AnimoPuyol”

Thiago: “A lot of strengh Puyi! We’re with you in good and bad moments! You’ll be back soon. Ánimo Capi!!!”

Iniesta: “Very important three points, overshadowed by the injury of Puyi, a lot of strength capi!”

Mascherano: “Strength Puyi. We need you Capi!!!”

Andreu Fontàs: “You do not deserve this [injury], but you will be back as usual. You’re the best @ Carles5puyol! I’m with you friend! # ÀnimsPuyi”

Valdés: “Great victory over a great team like Benfica. What a great first half! I haven’t been tested that much in a while. The worst bit of news, Puyol’s injury. Ánimos captain!”

Alves: “Big win, very good job! But sad because of Puyiiiii, shame!”

Cesc: “We give you all our support @Carles5Puyol, you are one of the strongest person I’ve ever met, you will come back soon my friend! #ÀnimsPuyi”

Dawwwww, Pique :)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This betting talk is getting to me, hard to resist when Bungie is promoting it so much. Wouldn't mind getting £200 every football evening. No idea where anhow to start though, never bet on anything in my entire life, can't even read the odds like X number/Y number.

Quoting it again because BettingGAF missed it.

I believe he looked that good because of Puyol. When puyol is not around he looks unsure and makes stupid errors.

That's why I made the comment about Pique missing him :p

I think he needs someone to stay back and let him take risks, and someone to give him a bollocking when he takes a stupid risk. Puyol is the only strong character in the back 5 as far as I can tell, and certainly the only one willing to lay down the law

Messi

That's why I made the comment about Pique missing him :p

I think he needs someone to stay back and let him take risks, and someone to give him a bollocking when he takes a stupid risk. Puyol is the only strong character in the back 5 as far as I can tell, and certainly the only one willing to lay down the law

Certainly helps being in close proximity to your best friend/captain.

Meier

This betting talk is getting to me, hard to resist when Bungie is promoting it so much. Wouldn't mind getting £200 every football evening. No idea where anhow to start though, never bet on anything in my entire life, can't even read the odds like X number/Y number.
Quoting it again because BettingGAF missed it.

If something is 3/1, it means if you put down $1, you get back $3. Every dollar times the fraction = your return.

5/8 = $0.63 per $1.
500/1 = $500 per $1
2/1 = $2 per $1
15/14 = $1.07 per $1

etc.

Basically, the bigger the favorite, the less you make for betting on them. Sometimes a team is such a huge favorite to win though that you're willing to potentially lose more than you can earn off a bet. (aka if you bet on a 8/15 favorite, you can only make $8 for every $15 you bet.. terrible rate of return).

You can also place bets on parlays (accumulators apparently in the UK) where you're betting on multiple results happening. I'm not sure the exact formula for what you earn -- I assume it has to do with multiplying the odds of all of the results you're betting on (but there is a little more to it than that since even if you bet on 5 favorites with less than 1:1 odds, there is a bonus in there for the number of results). Ultimately you can make a lot more money this way because your odds of winning decrease when relying on multiple outcomes. So you may spend $10 but bet on 5 things happening which could then yield you $200 while a direct $2 on each result separately might yield you $20.

There are prop bets (first yellow card will be Nigel de Jong, Ronaldo will score a FK, etc.) and Over/Under bets which means you think the teams will score 2 or 3 goals or more combined (for instance).

You can also sometimes bet on a direct winner rather than on a spread and these bets will be shown as +130 or -170, etc. which reflects the rate of return (+ means you'll make more than $1 per dollar bet, - means you won't).

ElyrionX

Wasn't feeling the tactics last night.

The set up against Newcastle was much better. Last night was too narrow. I'd like us to try a similar formation going forwards. The back four, Fletcher sitting, two midfielder players but only one of Scholes/Carrick - so either Cleverley, Anderson or even Kagawa there speeding things up and getting us on the front foot. And then a front three where RVP plays through the middle and we have Rooney and Kagawa drifting and starting out wide to stretch things.

No idea if that makes sense but that's how I'd like to see us play.

One thing's for sure. No more 442. Please.

I'd like to see United try out my FIFA 13 Seasons formation lol.

-------------De Gea-------------------
Rafael----Vidic----Ferdinand----Evra
Valencia--------Cleverley--------Nani
-------Kagawa-----------Rooney------
-------------Van Persie----------------

Bo-Locks

Just switch to decimal odds.

I believe he looked that good because of Puyol. When puyol is not around he looks unsure and makes stupid errors.

And Puyol only looks good because of who is in front of him. I refuse to believe that Puyol/Piqué are even among the best center backs in the world. Piqué couldn't even unseat Evans at United. They only look good because they have a midfield that dominates possession and is able to press the opposition and win the ball back.

I remember a time when Pique was possibly the best CB in the world. Didn't last long :p

Evans>Pique ∴ Evans = Best CB in world.

Just switch to decimal odds.

And Puyol only looks good because of who is in front of him. I refuse to believe that Puyol/Piqué are even among the best center backs in the world. Piqué couldn't even unseat Evans at United. They only look good because they have a midfield that dominates possession and is able to press the opposition and win the ball back.

Evans>Pique ∴ Evans = Best CB in world.

On form Pique>>>Evans
Off form Pique=Evans

These United formations are flawed when you don't have someone in the middle of the pitch that can tackle or track runs from midfield. The back four are exposed otherwise, as you've seen many times this season.

Maybe if Fletcher gets back to his best then he can do that again.

Meier

FWIW, I lost about $100 or so over the course of a few months of betting on American football (just small $3-5 parlay bets and the like). I was up about the same at one point but that's how it works. I had more disposable income at the time though.

Slizz

+/- shit is the stuff I don't fully understand in betting. My friend is telling me that the PSG line fell from +200 to +190 and the Dortmund line fell from +385 to +250...

What does that mean?

These United formations are flawed when you don't have someone in the middle of the pitch that can tackle or track runs from midfield. The back four are exposed otherwise, as you've seen many times this season.

Maybe if Fletcher gets back to his best then he can do that again.

He will be pretty vital yeah.

People will think this is hilarious and scoff, but I actually think Anderson may be able to do that job if instructed.

Meier

+/- shit is the stuff I don't fully understand in betting. My friend is telling me that the PSG line fell from +200 to +190 and the Dortmund line fell from +385 to +250...

What does that mean?

I would think Porto would be the underdog, so they'd probably be the +190 team rather than PSG. Sometimes the oddsmakers try and balance things out, so maybe there was a LOT of money on Dortmund at +385 so they've lowered the rate to +250 (this means they have a better chance to win than previously expected). These bets would be betting the winner rather than the spread. I've never bet on soccer/football so I'm not sure if they even do a spread like they do here in America?

If the Dolphins are -3, that means they're a 3 point favorite. You'll see the odds for the spread (typical betting) and for them to be a straight winner. If you bet on the favorite, you can usually make more by betting the spread than the winner because it's harder to cover the spread than to simply win in most scenarios. If you bet on the underdog, you can make more by betting they'll win than simply betting that the other team won't cover.

Slizz

I would think Porto would be the underdog, so they'd probably be the +190 team rather than PSG. Sometimes the oddsmakers try and balance things out, so maybe there was a LOT of money on Dortmund at +385 so they've lowered the rate to +250 (this would mean they had a better chance to win than previously).

No I get why the line changes. I don't understand what the the +/- figures mean. +250 if Dortmund wins, what does that mean?

If I put 250$ I get 100?

ALLEZ PORTO ALLEZ! NÓS SOMOS A TUA VOZ, QUEREMOS ESTA VITÓRIA, CONQUISTA-A POR NÓS!

4 more hours! PSG won't even know what hit them.

Meier

No I get why the line changes. I don't understand what the the +/- figures mean. +250 if Dortmund wins, what does that mean?

If I put 250$ I get 100?

It's been a little while since I've bet anything so I'm not entirely sure on the conversion rate when picking winners. If I recall, that means if they won, you'd get 2.5x every dollar spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom