• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

at Valencia :x

ixvjV1rqQrgm6.gif

rodvik

143px-Aston_Villa.svg.png

OHHHHH MYYYYY FUUUCCCKIIINNNGGG GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

jtb

Banned
What does GAF think about Mancini? I don't particularly rate him highly but then again his record's quite good, it's a weird one.

Agree with this.

Well, outside of City, his record is pretty abysmal. With City, he's done well-ish (outside of the whole Tevez affair) managing the egos. But even then, his failure to make a significant dent in Europe is really really poor for someone who's basically had unlimited funds for the past five, six years. The fact that Mourinho won the Champions League at Inter after just a season (and completely gutting the spine Mancini built) hardly helps either.

With the finances he has access to as well as the players at his disposal, he should be kicking the premiership in the butt, but the fact is he isn't.

I'd say he's ok, but no way in the tier of Ferguson, Mourinho, Wengers, etc

I know people cite Porto, but I doubt Mourinho would ever go to a club that doesn't have major spending power. For all the problems with Wenger, he consistently over-achieves with limited resources. If their circumstances were reversed, I wonder how they'd do

Fry

All this recent bullying is such bullshit.

There's no fucking bullying. There's people overreacting and there's DC doing his usual PR bullshit that draws attention and people call him off, that's it.
I have nothing against dc; I just thought he was panicking this time and it was funny. That's it.

Not exactly I don't think.

I had Hearts, Southampton, Swansea, Sunderland, Swindon and Bradford.

Edit: WTF 365 paid out? They won after extra time though? Must be a mistake. Time to withdraw.

Lol I think PayPal has reverse payments. Best withdraw this to your bank account asap

jtb

Banned
I know people cite Porto, but I doubt Mourinho would ever go to a club that doesn't have major spending power. For all the problems with Wenger, he consistently over-achieves with limited resources. If their circumstances were reversed, I wonder how they'd do

Well at Inter, he didn't spend a whole lot of money the year he won the Champions League. granted that was partly because he had a top spine built by Mancini beforehand (who had spent loads of money), part because Barca spent 40m + Eto'o on Ibra, but still, pretty impressive feat financially. I still think that Inter team is one of the most impressive teams in the CL of recent memory.

On Wenger, I do have to wonder—is it limited resources, or is it stubbornness? He sold Song this season; didn't need to, didn't buy a replacement... so far, it's been a fantastic decision, but should injury crisis hit, it'll be season over all over again. But both Mou and Wenger are fantastic managers; certainly on opposite sides of the spectrum. Someone like SAF is really the only one I can think of who is able to bring those two skillsets (developing young players + immediate success) together over long periods of time.

Arnie

I quite like that. Reminds me of the David Caruso 'fuck you'

It was both an inexcusable display of disrespect to the greatest manager of the last 20 years, and vicariously orgasmic. Something about seeing young Jonjo, a player I already admired, telling Ferguson to fucking stick it had me applauding in the heat of the moment. Glad he apologised though.

Lord Snow

Banned
Yeah, I agree with you guys. His record in Europe is abysmal and in fairness, even at Inter he only really achieved success domestically when the whole match fixing scandal was going on.

6-0 against Wolves… some decent goals, Bertrand, Piazon, Azpili and Romeu were excellent. Good to see Marin too he was lively. Nice header from Torres shame about his other miss.

Turnbull didn't convince me at all still and he only had to distribute the ball on a few occasions.

I had a great seat too will upload a picture or two later.

ATF487

Is it me or are these league cup games fun?

With low ticket prices and low attendances I'd be going to these games all the time if I could

It was both an inexcusable display of disrespect to the greatest manager of the last 20 years, and vicariously orgasmic. Something about seeing young Jonjo, a player I already admired, telling Ferguson to fucking stick it had me applauding in the heat of the moment. Glad he apologised though.

I don't see what Ferguson's reputation has to do with anything. Another reason Lawrenson can fuck off. Do Prestonites like him? Somebody has to :p

Arnie

City PR office gonna need a blowtorch to fight this glacier of shit heading their way

https://twitter.com/#!/search/Petrov

oh for fuck sake

I don't see what Ferguson's reputation has to do with anything. Another reason Lawrenson can fuck off. Do Prestonites like him? Somebody has to :p
It certainly shows balls that he isn't intimidated by Ferguson.

Nope, despise him. The North West in general seems to fucking hate the man. A few mates in my house can't understand why I launch into a tirade of of expletives whenever he pops up on the telly, or during commentary. Class A prick.

Soi-Fong

Thought it would be Martin Petrov with some revelations. Unpleasant surprise.

Disgraceful from those who chanted it

Every club has idiots. The ones chanting never your fault in Anfield, even if they meant it to Liverpool's record were idiots during a match dedicated to Hillsborough.

Our Captain. He has leukemia. We applaud on the 19th minute (his number) by way of support. Sometimes opposition clubs & supporters join in, its a nice gesture when they do, but not a big deal if they dont.

That's horrible though if those let him die chants were actually being sang.

Jensen

I like his dry sense of humour when he is co-commentating. He is one of the better football pundits but that isn't really a compliment.

dc89

I havent seen DC behave any differently to most here. What I do often see is several people having a pop at him, often, undeservedly IMHO.

It's glossed over because you guys are still getting the results. By hook or crook.

When/if the results stop then United will come in for some shit.

I think DC's great. And I don't even like City. Some of his banter is really funny, even when he's pouring salt on our "no trophies for 7 seasons" wound. lol

#prayforDC

I like DC he takes it all in good fun

All this recent bullying is such bullshit.

Agree, he can take a joke.

He gives and he gets :)

Thank you. Like I said, I don't take anything to heart.

If anyone can find highlights of the game for me I'll love you unconditionally forever!

City website will have them soon, maybe tomorrow morning.

City PR office gonna need a blowtorch to fight this glacier of shit heading their way

https://twitter.com/#!/search/Petrov

I'd be so disappointed if this is true. Especially as City fans at the game and MCFC themselves said the majority of fans joined in the clapping the Villa fans do.

https://twitter.com/MCFC/statuses/250672452827492353

Here is a guy who I speak to and he's honest and a good lad.

"THERE WAS NO CHANTS ABOUT PETROV TONIGHT. Sick rumour made up to bad name our fans, its disgusting. Some people have no respect at all."

https://twitter.com/DannyMagician/statuses/250713359186554880

Every club has idiots. The ones chanting never your fault in Anfield, even if they meant it to Liverpool's record were idiots during a match dedicated to Hillsborough.

I know. It always makes me uncomfortable when either set of fans are criticised under a blanket statement that fails to seperate those who do chant this shite, and those who don't. There is a middle ground though which is too big, the people who don't chant, but stand by with their hands by their sides while others make a mockery of the fanbase

Yen

I like his dry sense of humour when he is co-commentating. He is one of the better football pundits but that isn't really isn't saying much.

Lawro is the absoolute worst. He does TV3 commentary, so there is no escaping him for me.

pulga

Banned
Our Captain. He has leukemia. We applaud on the 19th minute (his number) by way of support. Sometimes opposition clubs & supporters join in, its a nice gesture when they do, but not a big deal if they dont.

I see. Shameful if City fans did that. It's only a game.

rodvik

That's horrible though if those let him die chants were actually being sang.

It would be, but to be honest judging from the Villa forums, nobody beleives this would come from many City fans. They are widely regarded as classy.

D_prOdigy

I'd be so disappointed if this is true. Especially as City fans at the game and MCFC themselves said the majority of fans joined in the clapping the Villa fans do.

I'd like to think it's not true because the majority of the tweets are from United fans who are giving it the opportunistic "I bet [the media] won't report this!" angle, but it looks as though the reports originated from Villa tweeters quite a bit before.

dc89

I'd like to think it's not true because the majority of the tweets are from United fans who are giving it the opportunistic "I bet [the media] won't report this!" angle, but it looks as though the reports originated from Villa tweeters quite a bit before.

Check my post again. Updated with a view of a City fan actually at the game.

I'm happy families known the truth now, but I hope it's not going to be in every OP. If it is, I hope every other football tragedy gets it's recognition too.

Yeah, its embarrassing, however, the worst of it all is what its going to do to our confidence...

Damn it all to hell!

If Moyes can impress on the team that the cup exit could be good for the league, you'll be fine.

@Chriswok, the Hillsbrorough campaign is still looking for justice. I'd say it perhaps needn't be so prominent in all future OTs, buts its not completely equatable with most other football tragedies

Arnie

Yeah, its embarrassing, however, the worst of it all is what its going to do to our confidence...

Damn it all to hell!

You'll be fine. Oviedo had a meagre game, and that Junior kid was fucking shit. Must be infuriating, I watched Wednesday at the weekend and despite them losing, Barkley was really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom