• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Clegg

Remember when they experimented with two separate group stages in the Champions League?

You qualified from your group and then you were put into another group after that.

Madness.

Remember when they experimented with two separate group stages in the Champions League?

You qualified from your group and then you were put into another group after that.

Madness.

I think we were in it then. Shame, we would have won it if it wasn't for that :p

qindarka

Banned

Madness.

Didn't the World Cup have double group stages at one point as well? Doesn't seem that uncommon, especially when there were not as many teams and when the numbers aren't 2,4,8,16,32 etc.

WJD

LEGEND
sfnsil121pa_793794c.jpg

iHELxmfJvqLLE.gif

At one point the CL was ridiculously easy to win and the teams competing were complete crap.

Translation: every time Liverpool won it pre-2005.

qindarka

Banned
At one point the CL was ridiculously easy to win and the teams competing were complete crap.

But it was so much better then when only champions competed. The current iteration is just a money-making exercise, what with including teams that finish as low as fourth in their domestic leagues.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
But it was so much better then when only champions competed. The current iteration is just a money-making exercise, what with including teams that finish as low as sixth in their domestic leagues.

Fixed.

GorillaJu

But it was so much better then when only champions competed. The current iteration is just a money-making exercise, what with including teams that finish as low as fourth in their domestic leagues.

Well something had to be done to make it a challenge. Considering relegation candidates in the PL are better than the best teams in the Eredivisie, Russian League, Bundesliga, etc. they had to throw some more PL teams in there to make some competition in the group stages.

qindarka

Banned
I was being sarcastic in reference to those who think the CL would really be better quality if only champions were included.

Defending champions have always qualified, so even if I believed in my original point (which I don't), it would still stand.

GorillaJu

The CL went down hill in 2010 anyway and it's been shit ever since. Mickey Mouse league that teams with respectable histories wouldn't even bother competing in.

Clegg

I've just seen that story about the possibly £1b kit deal for United.

The DM are obviously just guessing but United are definitely in store for a massive increase on their current kit deal which expires in 2015.

Clegg

Uniteds next seven games:

PL - Chelsea (A)
LC - Chelsea (A)
PL - Arsenal (H)
CL - Braga (A)
PL - Aston Villa (A)
PL - Norwich (A)
CL - Galatasary (A)

Six of them are away and only one at home.

Three of them probably aren't as important as the others though. One is in the league cup and two are in the CL where we're five points ahead of the rest.

GorillaJu

I've just seen that story about the possibly £1b kit deal for United.

The DM are obviously just guessing but United are definitely in store for a massive increase on their current kit deal which expires in 2015.

It would be hilarious if Nike paid United essentially almost the value of the entire club to have them wear their shirts.

The old deal ended up around 26m, right? Where does the other 974m come in?

Clegg

West Yorkshire force accepts resignation following MP Maria Eagle's claims that Bettison 'boasted' of smearing dead fans

Bettison had announced his intention to step down but was planning to serve out a notice period. West Yorkshire police said it had accepted his resignation on Wednesday morning with immediate effect.

This week the House of Commons heard claims that Bettison "boasted" about having helped to "concoct" a false account of how the 1989 Hillsborough disaster was caused, according to the Labour MP Maria Eagle.

Clegg

It would be hilarious if Nike paid United essentially almost the value of the entire club to have them wear their shirts.

The old deal ended up around 26m, right? Where does the other 974m come in?

The current deal is something like £23m per year for 15 years.

That was signed in 2001 so a sizeable bump is probably on the way.

Noirulus

Madrid - Dortmund should be a very good match as both teams are great at fast-paced attacking. Madrid's defense is concerning, though.

Still think Madrid will take the 3 points, but it'll be a close one.

TeegsD

So it seems that Sporting's newest manager is Franky Vercauteren. Never heard of the guy and he doesn't seem to have the most prolific coaching career. AKA gone by March

El Tigre

Poooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrttttttttttoooooooooooooooooooo!

Looking to maintain their perfect record in the group stages!

Wonder if James' friend will be in attendance today..

El-fantasma-de-Do-Dragao_54353795959_54115221155_600_244.jpg

Top Bottom