• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanpablo

Banned
LOI NEWS SPECIAL

Waterford drew 2-2 @ Dundalk on Tuesday night in the LoI play relegation/promotion first leg. 2nd leg is played Friday night. Two once mighty clubs - 15 time's champions betweeen them - who've now fallen on hard times. For the winner, the glory of premier division football for next year. For the loser, the ignominy of a season in the Graveyard that is the Irish 1st Division,which may or may not even exist next year.

C'mon the Blahs!

People singing football cheers or chanting on trains, in bars etc. is the weirdest fucking thing ever.

Indeed. Or starting fist fights in bars for that matter.

You're not a real fan if you don't sing football chants in trains.

/juanpablo

Not really no, unless the train is a 'football special' I s'pose. That's a train specifically for football supporters going to a match Kyoufu in case you didn't know ;).

Just got in my shirts from soccertriads

Only took like a month or something. Funny that this one came from Malmö, Sweden and my previous order was from Germany. Gotta ditch the customs somehow I guess.

3Sixty

No I did the same bet but with Malaga instead of Betis. Got back 135 quid on that one so it makes up for this. Still...

MATE.

Should have stuck 100 on double chance Valladolid/Draw.

Edit: On the subject of songs on trains, i was on the way back from Reading away last year and had a bunch of SAAFHAMPTON YOUTH in my same carriage. They proceeded to punch the top of the train singing...wait for it.... 10 German bombers.

SMH

Still can't believe I was robbed of my thread title :p

If Nazio's shittiness costs me that accumulator, I'llbe writing a letter to 25 of their players asking for £100 from each of them :D

Between Assassin's Creed III release, and me having trouble getting used to Dishonoured's controls / movements, I really want to play some Brotherhood. I still haven't finished it.

nJZOx.png

Betis are green

dunno. I think he just had one good year at nürnberg and that's it. that's probably because he played with gündogan and had a good chemistry together.

I remember some Bayern fans were a bit pissed about letting such a talent go. Now, getting €5m for him seems like the best deal you guys did in the last few years lol

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Marchisio, Buffon, Chiellini AND Lich? BASTIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Still can't believe I was robbed of my thread title :p

If Nazio's shittiness costs me that accumulator, I'llbe writing a letter to 25 of their players asking for £100 from each of them :D

Wait, their Serie A game with Catania or EL?

THERE IS NO ONE LIKE PAVELLL <3<3

Maybe I was a little harsh but my patience has run out with PDC, that's not his first defensive mistake (fifth? sixth? And we dropped points in most of them) and one day one of them will bite us in the ass, and it WILL leave a mark. I don't like marks on my ass fade!
It'll ruin my beauty mark

Speaking of running out of patience, Matri can do one too. Bendtner is basically Matri, but less frustrating to watch, and even better in the air. Giovinco, even when he's not scoring, pulls stuff out of his ass (butterflies <3) and makes thing happen! He did indirectly save us quite a few times now!

But the lineup is SOLID, I won't mind go in with that, but we NEED Marchisio, he's our big game merda clubs player.

tumblr_mctg3hIkF01r30r4xo10_r1_250.gif

My problem with Giovinco is that he calls himself a striker now rather than a trequartista like Del Piero. If he's a striker, then he needs to be better with his shooting accuracy. He needs to be better at taking his chances when they arrive. He is pretty good at drawing fouls around the box like Del Piero but--unlike Ale, cazzo.. unlike Mirko or Marchisio!--he doesn't take those chances well. The fucking thing is he could take those goals at Parma. So either we're giving him instructions that say "DON'T SHOOT" which is bullshit, or he's just shit at doing it for us.

Giovinco is great alongside a Matri or Bedtner (probably, who knows?) but I don't like him alongside Vucinic. And frankly I'd rather have Vucinic. Well, I'd rather have a 4-3-3 with Giovinco, Matri, Vucinic but then we're 9-0-1 so what the fuck do I know?

Edit: I love that we have 3-4 players who are really good at taking a touch and firing. I also love that Marchisio is probably the best at it. His goal against Cesena last season is a typical example but there are so many.

Why is chanting in bars or on trains the weirdest thing ever?

Because unlike chanting in stadiums, the only people who hear it in bars and trains are the people who don't want to hear it.

Example: riding the bus home at like 1am, some guys chanting about some player's mother's cunt or who the fuck knows while people are trying to sleep, or read, or just not listen to that shit. Why should people who don't give a fuck about us, our football, our chants be exposed to any of that shit? Like most of my issues with how people behave in society, it's the basic violation of the "time and place" principle. Chant all you fucking want. But don't do it at 1am and keep it to fucking stadiums.

Edit: Also, I never fucking understand what people are saying when they're chanting. They slur their words like drunks. This is, of course, possible because they are drunk.

Bumhead

Banned

The problem there is the stupid chant, the average age of 12 and
the southern accent

I love a good sing song on the way to games or in a boozer. My away day starts when I leave the house. As long as it's good fun and not just mindlessly abusive or stupid, I don't see the problem.

Example: riding the bus home at like 1am, some guys chanting about some player's mother's cunt or who the fuck knows while people are trying to sleep, or read, or just not listen to that shit. Why should people who don't give a fuck about us, our football, our chants be exposed to any of that shit? Like most of my issues with how people behave in society, it's the basic violation of the "time and place" principle. Chant all you fucking want. But don't do it at 1am and keep it to fucking stadiums.

Sounds to me like you're judging a pretty harmless away trip activity by an incident involving one wanker on the back of a bus.

Nobody wants to hear one pissed up twat chanting to himself at 1am on a bus, but I don't think that's even remotely the same thing as having a bit of fun on the way to the match.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
My problem with Giovinco is that he calls himself a striker now rather than a trequartista like Del Piero. If he's a striker, then he needs to be better with his shooting accuracy. He needs to be better at taking his chances when they arrive. He is pretty good at drawing fouls around the box like Del Piero but--unlike Ale, cazzo.. unlike Mirko or Marchisio!--he doesn't take those chances well. The fucking thing is he could take those goals at Parma. So either we're giving him instructions that say "DON'T SHOOT" which is bullshit, or he's just shit at doing it for us.

Giovinco is great alongside a Matri or Bedtner (probably, who knows?) but I don't like him alongside Vucinic. And frankly I'd rather have Vucinic. Well, I'd rather have a 4-3-3 with Giovinco, Matri, Vucinic but then we're 9-0-1 so what the fuck do I know?

Edit: I love that we have 3-4 players who are really good at taking a touch and firing. I also love that Marchisio is probably the best at it. His goal against Cesena last season is a typical example but there are so many.

His shooting is shit indeed.
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif

For all we know, Conte might even stick Pogba up front. :p

I just hope we don't cave and start LUCIO in the back. It will definitely backfire.

Cuddler

I completely agree with Yurt about De Ceglie. Is Santon playing well with Newcastle? I wouldn't mind him for 5m€ or less.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Not really no, unless the train is a 'football special' I s'pose. That's a train specifically for football supporters going to a match Kyoufu in case you didn't know ;).

Hey man, Kyoufu is a Sunderland (and allegedly Inter) ST holder. Apologize right now.

Fact: Pogba has had more headed scoring chances than all of our strikers combined.

:(

At least we know Gio's excuse.

Wes

venison crêpe
LOI NEWS SPECIAL

Waterford drew 2-2 @ Dundalk on Tuesday night in the LoI play relegation/promotion first leg. 2nd leg is played Friday night. Two once mighty clubs - 15 time's champions betweeen them - who've now fallen on hard times. For the winner, the glory of premier division football for next year. For the loser, the ignominy of a season in the Graveyard that is the Irish 1st Division,which may or may not even exist next year.

C'mon the Blahs!

Best of luck to them.

juanpablo

Banned
Why is chanting in bars or on trains the weirdest thing ever?

As mentioned, you could probably make allowances if its a football special train or the pub is a supporters pub of sorts. Otherwise I don't know if I'd much fancy having a few drinks with friends while some gormless types are ranting and raving at a television set next to you.

Defenders need to score goals too. Can't rely on strikers all the time.

I don't believe we've met. Kyoufu is it? Pleased to meet you.

---

On chants:
It was not one wanker, mate. Any case, why should football chants be permitted in a place like a train? It doesn't matter if you're having a bit of fun. Not everyone likes it, as a starting point. Some people are downright intimidated by it. It's insular and anti-social behaviour. It forgets that not everyone thinks a chant is a bit of fun. A train car is not the stands of a football ground. People banging on the train roofs is stupid and reckless. It's disrespectful.

If a group wants to rent a coach for fans only and want to sing until the windows shatter they can be my guest. But if they're in a public place occupied by people who aren't football fans then that space should be respected. I'm not saying it should be illegal or anything. I think people should have common decency to know where stuff is appropriate and where it isn't.

rodvik

O'Neill gameplan:

Same starting XI week in week out
2 Wingers
A big man up front
Play on the break
First sub after the 85th minute

And repeat

Are you a Villa fan juanpablo? That is eerily accurate.

One thing which is true of MON though, he is a very good motivator of players and can develop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom