• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Guardian live blog:

90 min+2: It will be interesting to see how Juventus react to this defeat. Arsenal never recovered from losing their unbeaten record to Manchester United in 2004.

Loooooooooool

Does Abu Dhabi have one too? I thought it was just Dubai.
Just Dubai I think.

But the UAE in general is just another example of short term Arab largesse. Dubai was more or less bankrupted until Abu Dhabi stepped in.

There is no sustainable long term plan there and very little culture or heritage. Rights for non-Arab's are shocking, working conditions for the poor are disgraceful, the education and welfare system is minimal.

Oil is the only thing of worth the UAE has. For all its wealth it has done remarkable little for its native people and for it's future. Yet to see any compelling evidence that this isn't the case.

The Grand Mosque, Yas Island, Emirates Palace and a fuck load of shopping malls. I can confirm it is a nice place.
I know it's a nice place. But in terms of it's standing in the world and what it offers to its people and the world generally...not alot.

Soi-Fong

Just Dubai I think.

But the UAE in general is just another example of short term Arab largesse. Dubai was more or less bankrupted until Abu Dhabi stepped in.

There is no sustainable long term plan there and very little culture or heritage. Rights for non-Arab's are shocking, working conditions for the poor are disgraceful, the education and welfare system is minimal.

Oil is the only thing of worth the UAE has. For all its wealth it has done remarkable little for its native people and for it's future. Yet to see any compelling evidence that this isn't the case.

Isn't there a prediction that all the oil in Earth will run out within a 100 or so years?

Dc, defend the country all you want, but the fact of the matter is the country owes it's complete livelihood to oil and once that runs out...

Still a nice place to visit though.

Lunchbox

Banned
Guardian live blog:

90 min+2: It will be interesting to see how Juventus react to this defeat. Arsenal never recovered from losing their unbeaten record to Manchester United in 2004.

Loooooooooool

gives me a boner thinking about it, remember it like yesterday

fuck you martin keown

hZi7c.png

YShtj.jpg

dc89

The UAE is where it is because of the oil it sits on. The UAE may not be all about oil, but the majority of the country is where it is today because of the oil it sits on.

When you have that much outside money being coming in, investments skyrocket and the country improves overall. Says alot about the country when you have a ski resort in the middle of a desert.

What more does Abu Dhabi have?

Oil has built what the country is now, but to say they just have oil and nothing more? Nuh-uh, not for me.

They have 5% of the worlds natural gas. A few years ago they had plans to create a city from scratch and they wanted it to have no carbon footprint. They invest a lot in renewable energy. They obviously want to have a budding tourism industry.

Then you have all the business' founded there such as Mubadala which just does pretty much everything. Build planes, invent and invest in aerospace technology.

Don't forget MCFC!

Just Dubai I think.

I know it's a nice place. But in terms of it's standing in the world and what it offers to its people and the world generally...not alot.

You say short term, but they've done a decent job of creating a sustainable tourism industry from pretty much nothing.

Yen

Oil has built what the country is now, but to say they just have oil and nothing more? Nuh-uh, not for me.

They have 5% of the worlds natural gas. A few years ago they had plans to create a city from scratch and they wanted it to have no carbon footprint. They invest a lot in renewable energy. They obviously want to have a budding tourism industry.

Then you have all the business' founded there such as Mubadala which just does pretty much everything. Build planes, invent and invest in aerospace technology.

Don't forget MCFC!

DC, how are planes powered?

dc89

City have played poorly, but we're still unbeaten and that's because we're steely and we're ready to grind out results if need be.

Soi-Fong

Don't forget MCFC!

Look at Viva's post. Maybe they should invest more on their own people before things like MCFC.

dc89

Dc, Mubadala is just an investment arm for the oil money.

Yeah! And why shouldn't it be? If I was sat on like 10% of the worlds oil I'd want to invest in other stuff for the day it runs out. Don't you think they know it will run out?

It's like the whole "oh City's owners don't know what they're doing" argument. I wouldn't worry about Abu Dhabi :p

Wilbur

Banned
They placed well against Arsenal after the first 30 minutes.

Yeah, they were okay. The thing is we've been diabolical at the back for the most part but going forward we've looked great. City haven't even looked that good going forward like we or Chelsea have.

You say short term, but they've done a decent job of creating a sustainable tourism industry from pretty much nothing.
But it's not sustainable. The real estate market crashed. Office spaces are left empty.

I read a report that the government has cut back on more spending and projects than about 10 other middle-eastern nations combined.

The UAE (and other Arab nations) won't be sustainable until they have people who can afford the luxuries on offer. But they don't educate their people and don't treat them as equals. Sure they're doing better now than they were 20 years ago - but it's mostly just good decor.

Soi-Fong

This will surely anger dc a lil, but MCFC is more than likely feeding off Abu Dhabi's people and that cannot be helping them at all, but surely harming them.

Didn't see the last 40 minutes of the City game. Went out for dinner.

The Italian food was delicious. But I'm not sure it's made up for a 0-0 against West Ham! We're the Champions damn it and we have to win those games.

There is a positive though. 3rd clean sheet in 4 league games, if my memory serves me well.

Where did you go? Pinochios?

Viva is more knowledgable than me, so I have to trust what he says.

But I think people can't honestly say "all they have is oil".
I'll just qualify my posts by saying that I am generally quite biased against Arab governments and find it really frustrating as a Muslim that they've done very little for their people.

So I'm telling one side of the story. I'm sure Fady knows more.

This will surely anger dc a lil, but MCFC is more than likely feeding off Abu Dhabi's people and that cannot be helping them at all, but surely harming them.
They spent like £1bn on City. That's a tiny % of what they've spent as a whole on the hotels and resorts etc.

Makes no difference I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom