• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Well I was out of gaf for two months, but hopefully some of you guys who have me on twitter (@Seanwatch) know what this meant to me. What a night to return to, eh? :)

R1ySC.jpg

Happy birthday Celtic. Our squad gave you one hell of a present. Here's to the next 125. :)

I was shocked to hear Messi's Irish accent. Until a week ago, I thought he lived in Spain lol. I also confuse Wilbury and Wilkiller quite often.

P.S.

Saw the RVP goal. It still hurts. :(

Well I was out of gaf for two months, but hopefully some of you guys who have me on twitter (@Seanwatch) know what this meant to me. What a night to return to, eh? :)

Happy birthday Celtic. Our squad gave you one hell of a present. Here's to the next 125. :)

Having experienced life without them for a couple of months, does a part of you wish Rangers were still in the SPL?

:Meus, I thought he lived in Spain as well :p

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Having experienced life without them for a couple of months, does a part of you wish Rangers were still in the SPL?

:Meus, I thought he lived in Spain as well :p
Not really. I miss the Old Firm games of course, but like any good rivals there's always a sense of schadenfreude from their misery. Beating Barcelona while Rangers sit in the bottom tier of Scottish football, struggling at stadiums with capacity <1000, is the ultimate Old Firm victory.

They'll be back. Eventually. Meanwhile, the SPL is the closest run its been since its inception, and all the smaller teams are really enjoying it. Celtic have the bonus of the CL campaign too. Smiles all around. :)

iRvPHXMpFz5h8.gif

1352323640670.gif

Edit: Forgot to mention the Barca fans. They made tonight special too. Stayed behind and applauded our support after the game, a lot of them with Celtic scarves. Great guys. :)

Hieberrr

Not that uncommon in American sports. Anything can happen in the playoffs.. hell, look at the Champions League. I know this pain all too well.

I too know this feeling :'(

Iono, I was just expecting a lot more from these two clubs. Especially in a 2-legged series.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Does MLS have separate cup tournaments as well or is it felt there's no need for it with the play-off ending to the league?

Hieberrr

Does MLS have separate cup tournaments as well or is it felt there's no need for it with the play-off ending to the league?

MLS itself doesn't. I know the Canada has the Canadian championship and the US has the US Open Cup. So I guess it's sort of like the FA Cup.

Lightning

Banned
Not really. I miss the Old Firm games of course, but like any good rivals there's always a sense of schadenfreude from their misery. Beating Barcelona while Rangers sit in the bottom tier of Scottish football, struggling at stadiums with capacity <1000, is the ultimate Old Firm victory.

They'll be back. Eventually. Meanwhile, the SPL is the closest run its been since its inception, and all the smaller teams are really enjoying it. Celtic have the bonus of the CL campaign too. Smiles all around. :)

iRvPHXMpFz5h8.gif

1352323640670.gif

Edit: Forgot to mention the Barca fans. They made tonight special too. Stayed behind and applauded our support after the game, a lot of them with Celtic scarves. Great guys. :)
Great day for Celtic football. I was stoked watching this an well deserved as that is 2 honorable performances in a row against Barcelona now.

So happy at the moment. Hopefully they can do enough now to qualify for the next stage. 7 points with another home game so it's possible. PLEASE!

Keio

For a Finer World
What the hell, is this real?

YodHL.jpg

Clearly Barca won.
Looks like my FIFA 13 results.

This does pose an interesting question: seriously, if you were Tito, what would you do? You know that teams will attempt to copy this tactic against Barca in the next stages too. One difference to the Chelsea games last year was putting in more crosses, one from which Alexis hit the post with a header. Shooting from range did get the bar for Messi. But neither tactic helped with the end result.

And again, respect to Celtic for a historic win!

Blablurn

and martinez really needs to step up his game. but i guess it will take some more time. i expect him to become way better after the winter break.

LegoArmo

Barca's mistake was all those passes. They passed it waiting for openings that very rarely appeared. Just get the ball into the box, a defender might make a mistake (especially less experienced ones, like those at Celtic), the ball could deflect off someone, create a sense of panic. It doesn't have to be crosses, or long balls, just a ball chipped into the air. Of course, Celtic would have won a lot of those, because they have a much taller squad, but the ball can drop anywhere. You could even just drill it hard and low.

It's admirable that they have their style of play and they stick to it, but when you come up against a fit, disciplined defence, it's going to be hard to break down. I don't think Celtic played negatively at all, they had 2 strikers on the pitch at all times, and when Barca's passing broke down, they mostly used possession well. They just didn't force the issue and let themselves be passed around. It really was just "we're not going to react until the ball comes within 20 yards of our goal" for the most part, so the stats look bad, but how many times was the defence split open... erm, once.

FootballFan

Man I have to say Shaktar is one hell of a team I now want them to go through along with us, screw Juventus.

They were damn amazing against us a couple years ago in the CL, then again after they won the Europa League we played them in the Euro Super Cup which they held us scoreless until extra time winner.

We did buy Chygrinsky off them for a reason lol. He played extremely well against us.

They were damn amazing against us a couple years ago in the CL, then again after they won the Europa League we played them in the Euro Super Cup which they held us scoreless until extra time winner.

We did buy Chygrinsky off them for a reason lol. He played extremely well against us.

Those Eastern European players seem to really work out for you guys, lol. Chygrynsky, Hleb...

GorillaJu

Fernando Torres said:
"I enjoyed playing next to him for three and a half seasons. It was probably the best time I have had on a football pitch. I am who I am now thanks to him because he showed me the way.

"So I am happy for him and I am sure that he will play much more than 600 games for Liverpool."

Well Chelsea fans, you can blame Gerrard for sure.

photobhoy2.jpg

Atmosphere @ celtic park on a champions league night just cannot be beaten. The banner from the Green Brigade was the best I have ever seen @ a football match.

You watch Messi's face when the display goes up. He is simply amazed by it!

Well done Celtic!!

good to see all the doom and gloom (pro zombies) pundits be shut up again.

Keio

For a Finer World
Barca's mistake was all those passes. They passed it waiting for openings that very rarely appeared. Just get the ball into the box, a defender might make a mistake (especially less experienced ones, like those at Celtic), the ball could deflect off someone, create a sense of panic. It doesn't have to be crosses, or long balls, just a ball chipped into the air. Of course, Celtic would have won a lot of those, because they have a much taller squad, but the ball can drop anywhere. You could even just drill it hard and low.

It's admirable that they have their style of play and they stick to it, but when you come up against a fit, disciplined defence, it's going to be hard to break down. I don't think Celtic played negatively at all, they had 2 strikers on the pitch at all times, and when Barca's passing broke down, they mostly used possession well. They just didn't force the issue and let themselves be passed around. It really was just "we're not going to react until the ball comes within 20 yards of our goal" for the most part, so the stats look bad, but how many times was the defence split open... erm, once.
Good points. I agree that Barca's (and Spain's) current main problem is the lack of risk taking when it comes to the possibility of losing possession. Attempts at penetrating passes were rare in the match, although part of that could be credited towards the Celtic defense staying so well organized.

Tito has to figure out how to play if the other side cedes initiative, as that has been the tactic that has been able to hurt Barca in the past seasons. Do they have to try and claim all the space available, thus opening themselves to be hit on the break?

photobhoy2.jpg

Atmosphere @ celtic park on a champions league night just cannot be beaten. The banner from the Green Brigade was the best I have ever seen @ a football match.

You watch Messi's face when the display goes up. He is simply amazed by it!
Amazing.

The one with the Milito avatar is class. He was InterGAF's version of TheLucifer. So, welcome! (again)

But be warned, your win against Juve is the only thing you'll be celebrating come May. ;)

I... uh... I don't know if I should feel flattered or anything.

Meanwhile, it seems like Guardiola is getting closer to Milan. I honestly can't see him on our bench next year, unless Berlusconi (or a new investor) will decide to spend €30-40m (at least). Galliani is also thinking about Costacurta, Donadoni, Rijkaard, Van Basten, Spalletti and Montella.

Linius

Nice going for Celtic yesterday. They can have the three points, amazing atmosphere over there too.

And I'm glad we (Ajax) got to keep Man. City behind us in the group. Hope we can manage to get to the EL. The Final is in Amsterdam this year, so... :p

edit

nncQg.jpg

So much drama in this pic :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom