• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I'd always worry the referee wouldn't see that I'd been fouled unless I go to ground, and a lot of those seem to be mistaken for 'dives'. The lines are too blurred, who decides? Do they do it with every foul?

Fry

So was 'should bayern have a thread title' including elsk calling some of the English users assholes :lol :lol

That wasn't a debate. It was a rule the english people established. 'Nothing Bayern related goes to the thread title.'

British assholes!

Linius

I gave up on this captcha thing. There was an option to contact them trough email if you fail the captcha stuff, now I'll just wait...

Lightning

Banned
I don't think diving is overplayed that much. It is a pretty major problem.

I think it's being dealt with in the wrong way though.
Diving is a major problem in the game. Players like Suarez and Bale dive every chance they get.

They need to deal with it differently though. It should be dealt with after the game through suspensions when players get caught doing it. Once players start getting suspended when they get caught diving, even after the game, they'll soon stop and clubs will start punishing their players to stamp it out of the sport.

Does anyone know where I can get enger's post match interview? I'm interested in finding his spin. He better not be blaming Arteta for the draw, it wasn't Arteta's fault.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
A guy in Dubai was wearing a "Like a boss (with the meme guy)" shirt in a fucking club.

He went home forever alone.

Salvadora

Well, stamping, elbowing, and cynical physical contact is probably as prevelant, yes. I also find some people I speak to woefully ignorant to what diving actually is. As I said, I had a 30 minute argument with someone who thought Torres deserved to be booked against United (for the 'dive').

I remember the stamp on Suarez when you played Stoke. Did they even bother to take action against that?

I'd always worry the referee wouldn't see that I'd been fouled unless I go to ground, and a lot of those seem to be mistaken for 'dives'. The lines are too blurred, who decides? Do they do it with every foul?
That's now become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I agree it is very difficult as the lines are very blurred.

I don't blame the officials at all though. At the moment they are being very harsh on "diving" and we're seeing players getting booked when they haven't actually dived. But that's only because the same public and fans who are now having a go at them were previously complaining that divers get away with diving.

They can't win really.

Diving is a major problem in the game. Players like Suarez and Bale dive every chance they get.

They need to deal with it differently though. It should be dealt with after the game through suspensions when players get caught doing it. Once players start getting suspended when they get caught diving, even after the game, they'll soon stop and clubs will start punishing their players to stamp it out of the sport.
I agree.

It isn't a foolproof method by any means but I think it would be a big enough sanction to prevent players from even taking the risk.

The bigger question that would arise though, would be the use of technology post-match in general and extending it to other decisions.

Linius

There was a guy in Dubai wearing a "Like a boss (with the meme guy)" shirt in a fucking club.

He went home forever alone.

Cwz8T.gif

Wonder when the 'Betting GAF' phase will end

Personally I only put on about a tenner a month total, not fair on the family to spend more than that plus I take out any profit

I rarely win anyway though

kharma45

Wonder when the 'Betting GAF' phase will end

Personally I only put on about a tenner a month total, not fair on the family to spend more than that plus I take out any profit

I rarely win anyway though

Big spender, I'm about a fiver a month at most :p annoys me a bit when my Facebook feed is full of people talking about betting, most don't realise that they've spent more on it than they've won but instead delude themselves with the odd £80 win or something that they get.

Salvadora

on Walcott's substitution...
Walcott has a glute muscle problem. We nearly took him off at half-time, he nearly went down, but we left him on. In the end, it got worse. At the moment, he is limping so I do not know whether he will be able to join the national team or not.
Shouldn't have left him on if they had doubts over his fitness. No wonder we have so injuries.

What's this nonsense about Maclean refusing to wear a poppy? Maybe he should leave the country if he can't show a little respect?

Anyway don't want to get into a big row about it and i know his reasoning but needless to say I think it's shite

Wilbur

Banned
Inbetweeners film was shit.

Yeah it weren't that great. A few funny bits though.

Does anyone know where I can get enger's post match interview? I'm interested in finding his spin. He better not be blaming Arteta for the draw, it wasn't Arteta's fault.

He was poor today though. Gave away a penalty, kept getting caught in possession and giving it away. I think he's a great player but today he was very bad.

Bumhead

Banned
What's this nonsense about Maclean refusing to wear a poppy? Maybe he should leave the country if he can't show a little respect?

Anyway don't want to get into a big row about it and i know his reasoning but needless to say I think it's shite

So do I.

I'm always a bit torn on the issue. At the end of the day people are allowed to express their own beliefs and I'd never want something like the poppy to be enforced in any way, as for me that would defeat the object of wearing one.

On the flip side, if you're the sort of person to go that far out of your way to publicly refuse to honour something like the poppy, which represents the loss of so many throughout history regardless of current conflicts, then I personally have absolutely zero time for you, don't care what you think and don't want to listen to your opinion.

juanpablo

Banned

So do I.

I'm always a bit torn on the issue. At the end of the day people are allowed to express their own beliefs and I'd never want something like the poppy to be enforced in any way, as for me that would defeat the object of wearing one.

On the flip side, if you're the sort of person to go that far out of your way to publicly refuse to honour something like the poppy, which represents the loss of so many throughout history regardless of current conflicts, then I personally have absolutely zero time for you, don't care what you think and don't want to listen to your opinion.

Google 'Bloody Sunday' ye silly cunts.

Wayne Rooney ‏@WayneRooney

One direction new song is brilliant.

:lol
I think he does it on purpose.

I don't agree with him but I think he should be well within his rights to make his choice.

He is Irish so we don't need to think too hard as to why he made that choice. Again, don't agree and don't condone - but I get it. Recently I have found people going too hard on the poppy business. I wear one myself but it's slowly become an obligation without being one - that's not right IMO.

Kyoufu

Like that's much to shout about :lol

Don't underestimate West Ham though, playing well and there's an insane amount of personal scores to be settled tomorrow!

I'm not 100% confident about tomorrow but if we do win, we'll be 7th and breathing down Tottenham's neck :p

Must win game at all costs.

What's McClean's explanation for not wearing the poppy?

He's Irish

It leads me to think in a more extreme example what would I do if say I went to Germany and they had a similar thing to mark the war dead (not sure if they do) I think I'd still be respectful

Refusing to wear a poppy shows a huge lack of respect for me

Edit: jaunpablo see above I don't need to google it my point stands

Clegg

I think McClean is perfectly entitled to not wear the poppy.

He's from Derry and the British armed forces were responsible for a massacre in that city.

He's hardly being an arsehole in this situation.

Fry

What's McClean's explanation for not wearing the poppy?

Sunderland have distanced themselves from McClean's decision and have again given their full support to the appeal.

A club spokesman said: 'As a club Sunderland AFC wholeheartedly supports the Remembrance Commemorations. It was James’ personal choice not to wear a shirt on this occasion.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom