• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Fucking horrible and hardly relevant.

Oui.

An ex damaging his car hardly reflects badly on him. And a liking for sportscars, nice clothes and hair-gel does not make a man dissolute.

And how did his car getting trashed "make headlines" ? Newcastle, what the fuck.

LegoArmo

You'd have to be some kind of mentally unstable, crazy man, to say those things, as a referee, in football, with the current situation regarding racism.

You'd have to be some kind of massive cunt to make it up, though. Mata's not a cunt. Mikel is a bit, but I think he takes racism seriously, as far as I know he refused to give a statement supporting Terry in court despite being the closest player to him on the pitch.

Hixx

You'd have to be some kind of mentally unstable, crazy man, to say those things, as a referee, in football, with the current situation regarding racism.

You'd have to be some kind of massive cunt to make it up, though. Mata's not a cunt. Mikel is a bit, but I think he takes racism seriously, as far as I know he refused to give a statement supporting Terry in court despite being the closest player to him on the pitch.

Mata didn't hear Clattenburg say anything according to Romeu.

Skysports quoted Romeu speaking to a Spanish radio station saying that neither Mata nor Torres heard anything.

edit: I should clarify for the sake of you-know-who that this obviously doesn't mean nothing was said. Only that Mata did not hear what was allegedly said and therefore he clearly didn't make anything up.

edit 2: beaten anyway

edit 3: you might want to include a reference for that last bit as well!

Stimpy

That suggests to me he heard exactly what Terry said and rather than drop him in it for being a racist he kept his mouth shut.

GorillaJu

Skysports quoted Romeu speaking to a Spanish radio station saying that neither Mata nor Torres heard anything.

edit: I should clarify for the sake of you-know-who that this obviously doesn't mean nothing was said. Only that Mata did not hear what was allegedly said and therefore he clearly didn't make anything up.

edit 2: beaten anyway

edit 3: you might want to include a reference for that last bit as well!

Yeah it was mentioned somewhere early on that Mata wasn't present when the alleged "Spanish twat" thing was mentioned.

I get the impression that it would take a truly spectacular provocation to get Mata involved in non-footballing affairs during a match. He just seems incredibly focused. He does complain when he doesn't get decisions (like every footballer over the age of 20, ever), but he never makes a big fuss just throws his hands up in frustration.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah it was mentioned somewhere early on that Mata wasn't present when the alleged "Spanish twat" thing was mentioned.

I get the impression that it would take a truly spectacular provocation to get Mata involved in non-footballing affairs during a match. He just seems incredibly focused. He does complain when he doesn't get decisions (like every footballer over the age of 20, ever), but he never makes a big fuss just throws his hands up in frustration.

Mata is just a superb pro. To be honest Hazard has been pretty well behaved as well, he just gets on with it. Oscar is the one who can be a niggly little twat sometimes.

Pranay

22809_558466144180619_322336806_n.jpg

Fry

Copenhagens backup keepers first game after our first choice keeper (Wiland) got injuried yesterday. What a brilliant start to the 3 months we have to suffer with him

His attempt to get back in position after giving the ball away is mesmerizing. What a lazy fuck.

Yen

Liverpool have been trying to sign him for a while. The only reason he hasn't joined is because he thinks his development would be better served staying in the Finnish league where he's guaranteed games. Don't know if we'll go back in for him, but based on today's article in the Mirror, he definitely wants the move now.

I have a dream: Finnish wonderteen striker Joel Pohjanpalo wants Liverpool (again)

30 Oct 2012 12:57
He reportedly turned down a three-year Anfield contract in August, but the young goalhound has reignited Brendan Rodgers' interest for January move

Thick and Finn: Joel Pohjanpalo turned down Anfield move, now he wants Anfield move
HJC Helsinki striker Joel Pohjanpalo has revealed his ongoing dream of being a Liverpool player – just a couple of months after turning down the chance to join the Anfield club.

Pohjanpalo, 18, undertook a one-week trial at Liverpool FC in March 2012 and was reportedly offered a three-year contract in August – but rejected it on the basis that the Reds could not even guarantee him reserve team football.

Choosing instead to continue his development in Finland with HJK Helsinski – who won their fourth straight domestic title on Saturday - young Joel has seemingly had a rethink, the fickle lad, and is again pondering a move to the Premier League.

He revealed in a local TV interview: "I don't know where I'll be playing next season, but it's my dream to play for Liverpool FC one day."

The young striker is under contract at Helsinki until 2015.

Explaining his decision to snub the Reds in August, Pohjanpalo said: "It was a hard decision to reject Liverpool's contract offer. HJK is a good club and there's a great feeling in this group; I can for example call to our assistant manager in my free time to come and play the ball. I'm sure it would not been possible in Liverpool.

"I know I might get an injury or something else and the possibility [of a move to Liverpool] may not necessarily happen again, but I have to move forward and overcome all obstacles when they arise."

Former Liverpool player Litmanen, 41, has followed Joel's development closely and stuck his head round the door during the youngster's Anfield trial.

Pohjanpalo reportedly recalled: "He visited me in training when I was on trial at Liverpool. Hopefully, he will continue his career so that I can play alongside him some time.

The telegraph is saying that the alleged word used towards mikel was 'monkey'

No way he said this or anything near that charged in this climate. If he did, he's a colossal idiot. I'll believe it if I see video.

Honestly think this could backfire for Chelsea... whole Referee cabal could start giving them short shrift

I do find it hard to believe Clattenburg called Mikel a monkey but I find it even harder to believe Chelsea would just make that up out of thin air.

Question has to be asked though, if you hear something like that on the pitch why not make an issue of it there and then. I would.

Meier

Sinclair looks like he's there because he won a competition. It was such a bad move for him.

:( I was not a fan of the move in general but it is what it is. It's weird, not only does he seem totally outclassed by everyone else on the team, but he makes you wonder how he did so well at Swansea.

Who knows, maybe something will click. You'd like to think he could at least be a decent squad player. AJ at least provided that.

MONTEVIDEO — Uruguay club Juventud have sacked a player for starting a mass brawl during last weekend's domestic league game with Wanderers that led to 16 players being sent off at the final whistle.

Club president Yamandu Costa told reporters that Cristian Latorre had his contract terminated, while other players involved in the fight would be fined, depending on their level of involvement.

Gaston Inda, the vice-president of Wanderers, meanwhile said that the club's executive committee would meet on Tuesday to decide whether to impose sanctions on their players.
Both teams said in a joint statement released on Monday evening that they "strongly opposed all forms of violence in football", vowed to fight against the problem in the game and apologised to fans, the wider public and the authorities.

Rival players fought on the pitch after the match ended in a 3-3 draw on Sunday, prompting the referee to send off eight players from each side. Another player had previously been sent off in the first-half, taking the game's total to 17.
In 2002, a Spanish referee sent off 19 players in a regional first division match, forcing the game to be abandoned.

Sounds like a good match.

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPgK1d2HSxU

No way he said this or anything near that charged in this climate. If he did, he's a colossal idiot. I'll believe it if I see video.

Honestly think this could backfire for Chelsea... whole Referee cabal could start giving them short shrift

I agree. Clatternburg, and refs in general, seem always calm and collective. You rarely ever see them demonstrate any anger on their face. The idea that he would call a black player that is harder to believe than, say, if it were another player on the pitch who said it. Then again I cant imagine Mikel making it up. No way.

I agree. Clatternburg, and refs in general, seem always calm and collective. You rarely ever see them demonstrate any anger on their face. The idea that he would call a black player that is harder to believe than, say, if it were another player on the pitch who said it. Then again I cant imagine Mikel making it up. No way.

With regard to the Mata insult in particular, it could be a case of someone mishearing him or a player being vindictive and stirring things up -- Oriol Romeu was on the bench and he's said this:

“Neither Juan nor Fernando [Torres] told me they heard it because from what I have understood they didn’t hear anything,” said Romeu. “It was someone else who heard it, but not directly at them. It was another player who heard it and that is what they told me."

Meier

Interesting stat.

JONNY BE GOOD
Dear Martin, a few of my mates have noticed that Jonny Evans hardly ever concedes free-kicks for Manchester United - and we had to laugh when he got away with the one against Fernando Torres. Can you tell us how many times he's conceded a foul in the Premier League this season and how this compares to other defenders in the league? Mason Jones (Manchester United fan)

MARTIN SAYS: You'll be interested to hear that, according to the boffins at Opta, Jonny Evans has not conceded a single foul in his six Premier League appearances this season. He is the only defender in the league to have played in more than three games without a foul to his name. It's an interesting stat when you consider Sunday's incident alongside the game against Liverpool earlier in the season, when many thought he had fouled Jonjo Shelvy (when Shelvy was sent off) and may have tripped Luis Suarez in the penalty area.

In fact, there are only eight outfield players to have played more than 90 minutes this season without conceding a foul. There are two players who have seen more action than Evans without conceding a free-kick - but both are attacking players. Evans has played 463 minutes, while West Ham winger Matt Jarvis has played 516 minutes without being penalised and Swansea's Danny Graham has played 572 minutes without conceding a foul.
http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,12038_8212923,00.html?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom