• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit embarrassed by Gerrard's chat lately, but its funny how riled up the Evertonians are.

Likening them to Stoke is silly and he really should have taken 5 minutes to look at the stats.. I thought Everton were really good, Mirallas looks to be class. The Suarez achilles catch was definitely a bit naughty, so Moyes is entitled to say he was lucky to be on the pitch -- but I've gotta think that linesman was swayed by the crowd, should have been a valuable 3 points! His decision took too long to come.

Thought both Liverpool and Everton looked good, I'm confident either can give anybody a good game and that Liverpool will rise up the table before long.

Is it wrong to want more ridiculous shenanigans at the Man U Chelsea rematch tomorrow? Less in Utds favour though please

Facism

Achillies tendonitis sucks. What can i do about it? If i go to my GP she's going to say "TAKE A REST HERE'S SOME PILLS DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANY REAL SOLUTIONS" as usual.

Salazar

Is it wrong to want more ridiculous shenanigans at the Man U Chelsea rematch tomorrow? Less in Utds favour though please

Well, less in the way of racism, inane booing, seat-throwing, steward injuring.

And if RDM tries again to prevent or inhibit a player from taking a throw in, he should be fucked off from the sidelines for quite a while.

Damn :lol this angle is a doozy

1351445481191nej6x.gif

Slizz

I'm getting fucked on a group project right now from one of my professors because of plagiarism.

One member of my team copied a paragraph word for word from the company website we were doing a report on and didn't cite the EXACT site. But instead cited a base website that by doing 1-click takes you to where the paragraph in question is.

The web address is literally the same except for the last word after the last / in the web address. EX: www.fuckingbullshit.com/seriously/what/a/cunt compared to...... www.fuckingbullshit.com/seriously/what/a/twat.

Still waiting on a response back from the professor...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Bendtner "I started my first match for a long time and I'm happy with my display, I sent a good pass to [Mirko] Vucinic, but he didn't score. Then I missed a decent chance but [Arturo] Vidal scored. Usually I don't miss easy opportunities."

iR6nF6jhV7Oml.gif

Salazar

Sounds absurd. Anybody who doesn't recognise or can't ordinarily detect a distinction between incorrect citation and improper citation is doicare level.

Yurt, I was hoping that would read

"Nicklas started his first match for a long time and I'm happy with Nicklas's display, Nicklas sent a good pass to [Mirko] Vucinic, but he didn't score. Then Nicklas missed a decent chance but [Arturo] Vidal scored. Usually Nicklas don't miss easy opportunities."

Third-person Bendtner is best Bendtner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyiXRShsQFI :lol Sometimes I am joltingly reminded of how dippy athletes tend to be.

I'm not sure I buy these Clattenburg allegations - you'd have to be a very stupid man to be a premier league referee and say something racist to Mikel, or even to call Mata a 'spanish tw*t'... not even in the current climate, I mean to do that at all, ever. I'm inclined to believe this is one or two players being vindictive. Should be interesting to see what Sky's video footage shows though

Slizz

Sounds absurd. Anybody who doesn't recognise or can't ordinarily detect a distinction between incorrect citation and improper citation is doicare level.

That's what happens when you run the paper through a plagiarism machine and don't bother to review the paper after seeing a red flag. It's like he saw there was one paragraph copied and didn't bother reviewing or reading the actual report itself.

EDIT: Bad on my group member too, but it's not like I could have prevented it. We told everyone to make sure they put their citations for their portion, but how are we supposed to review and check to make sure? We don't have a machine like theres that reads the paper and one shot and shows you problems and like I said the person cited the base website.

Slizz

Well, Terry did get penalized for his actions despite being cleared in a court. This comparison seems strange. Not to mention that Terry has absolutely nothing to do with this case.

JT won't be involved in the investigation into Clattenburg, but he definitely will when they investigate the complaint filed by Clattenburg.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How is this relevant?

The man in the picture is a Chelsea player who escaped conviction for racially abusing an opponent despite video evidence (after having his trial delayed because he was 'too busy').

Now an incompetent referee is being investigated for a similar offense against the aforementioned player's colleagues.

Salazar

JT won't be involved in the investigation into Clattenburg, but he definitely will when they investigate the complaint filed by Clattenburg.

Pretty obvious it was going to kick off slightly when Mikel and RDM in meltdown states of mind went to see him.

qindarka

Banned
The man in the picture is a Chelsea player who escaped conviction for racially abusing an opponent despite video evidence (after having his trial delayed because he was 'too busy').

Now an incompetent referee is being investigated for a similar offense against the aforementioned player's colleagues.

Still don't see the connection. The first case should have no bearing on the second.

Meier

Micah Richards out for 8 weeks approx.

It's actually up to 4 months. :( Torn meniscus.

“I have a brace on it and I am using crutches. I can’t do anything at all for the next four to six weeks and I am probably looking at 12-16 weeks before I am back in action.

“I knew straight away in the game that it was quite a bad injury. The knee locked and I couldn’t straighten it.

“I suppose it could have been even worse and not repairable which would have meant removing the meniscus; so I am being positive. Injuries are all part and parcel of the job but this coming on top of the other one I do feel a little hard done to!

“I will be working as hard as I can to get back as quickly as I can and I thank all the fans who have sent their best wishes.”
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2012/October/Micah-Richards-talks-about-knee-injury

Salvadora

Arsenal squad for Reading:

6 Laurent Koscielny
12 Olivier Giroud
14 Theo Walcott
18 Sebastien Squillaci
20 Johan Djourou
22 Francis Coquelin
23 Andrey Arshavin
25 Carl Jenkinson
26 Emmanuel Frimpong
29 Marouane Chamakh
36 Damian Martinez (GK)
40 Hector Bellerin
46 Thomas Eisfeld
47 Serge Gnabry
53 Jernade Meade
54 Ignasi Miquel
60 James Shea (GK)
64 Nico Yennaris

No Szc.

Ushojax

Still don't see the connection. The first case should have no bearing on the second.

I don't expect the case to have any bearing on it. It simply amuses me that Terry got away with a paltry ban and somehow retained his club's captaincy after racially abusing someone whereas this moron of a referee is about to see his entire career go down the toilet if the allegations are judged to have merit.

Arsenal squad for Reading:

6 Laurent Koscielny
12 Olivier Giroud
14 Theo Walcott
18 Sebastien Squillaci
20 Johan Djourou
22 Francis Coquelin
23 Andrey Arshavin
25 Carl Jenkinson
26 Emmanuel Frimpong
29 Marouane Chamakh
36 Damian Martinez (GK)
40 Hector Bellerin
46 Thomas Eisfeld
47 Serge Gnabry
53 Jernade Meade
54 Ignasi Miquel
60 James Shea (GK)
64 Nico Yennaris

No Szc.

No Mannone either? I can only imagine how hilarious the ones lower-ranked than him are.

I'm getting fucked on a group project right now from one of my professors because of plagiarism.

One member of my team copied a paragraph word for word from the company website we were doing a report on and didn't cite the EXACT site. But instead cited a base website that by doing 1-click takes you to where the paragraph in question is.

The web address is literally the same except for the last word after the last / in the web address. EX: www.fuckingbullshit.com/seriously/what/a/cunt compared to...... www.fuckingbullshit.com/seriously/what/a/twat.

I fucking hate Harvard Referencing. I get why you need a standardised system, but do you really need stuff like the specific publishing location? We have to cite pretty much everything we use. My list of references ends up being half the length of my lab reports.

Football related, I've noticed our youtube channel has improved a lot recently. It's not as good as City's but they've actually started posting some interesting stuff and more of the stuff from Spurs TV on there, Nextgen highlights as well now.

Meier

As far as Clattenburg is concerned, if he is found guilty.. what will they do about the match's result? Surely if a referee who influenced the outcome of the game was found to be biased against one side, they'd need to throw out the result and play a make up, right? Especially given the fact that one of the players he red carded was also a "Spanish twat" and the other player was also a foreigner.

Salazar

I await dippy Frimpong antics.

Surely if a referee who influenced the outcome of the game was found to be biased against one side

I don't think misconduct, however grave, sufficiently overlaps with or signifies bias. Racism provisionally aside, Torres is a gigantic twat, and almost constantly acts like one.

Meier

Maicon to get more games then? Speaking of which, I had completely forgotten he played for City until this injury forced me to think of players that City had in reserve. How has he been thus far, does anyone know?

He only played in a few matches and picked up an injury at some point.. but he didn't play particularly well when he was in. I wouldn't say it was entirely his fault though since putting a WB who is inclined to attack up against Ronaldo makes 0 sense. Mancini didn't do him any favors with that match-up.

Apparently Zaba is hurt too. We'll probably see Kolo Toure getting some play at RB until Maicon and/or Zaba are fit.

qindarka

Banned
I don't expect the case to have any bearing on it. It simply amuses me that Terry got away with a paltry ban and somehow retained his club's captaincy after racially abusing someone whereas this moron of a referee is about to see his entire career go down the toilet if the allegations are judged to have merit.

I know you don't agree with the court decision in Terry's case but surely that would give enough of a benefit of doubt to mitigate any punishment.

And just to be consistent, if Clattenberg is indeed investigated by the police and brought to court (though I doubt it) then cleared, I would also support reduced or no punishment.

Ushojax

I've always considered Clattenburg one of the "good guys." I tend to think he gets more right than wrong.

I always thought he was one of the worst. If he makes a mistake(s) in a game he will always keep them in mind when making decisions later. For example on Sunday, he booked Torres for diving, sent him off, but when Mikel made a far more obvious foul on Valencia later on (which would have seen him sent off) he booked Valencia for diving. He tries too hard to even things up after his own errors.

What proof do Chelsea have apart from the players word?

According to sky, the other refs are backing Clattenburg.

Well presumably there is some kind of video, there must have been cameras everywhere. It's not like the time a (rightly annoyed) Mourinho ruined that referee's career with some made-up bullshit about the opposition manager going into his room at half-time after they were on the wrong end of some decisions in a CL game.

Fry

I only realised Maicon was at City because he seems to be the player of choice of the Man City pickers on Fifa 13. lol

Salvadora

Arsène Wenger has revealed the latest team news ahead of the Reading game on Tuesday evening.
on Gervinho…
“He has an ankle problem. How long he will be out, we don't know. He has a scan today (Monday).”

on Szczesny…
“He is close, but not ready for the Reading game.”

on other team news…
“Oxlade-Chamberlain is not available for this game. He would have loved to play. Apart from that, I don't think anyone else will be back.”

on any other young players being out…
“No, the players we want to be available are available.”
Hopefully that means Gibbs is fit.

Salazar

He's got high speed. But he's shit against Bale, even in Fifa :p

Making Ashley Young play as an aggressive winger in FIFA is so weird :lol

I fucking screamed when he received the ball in Chelsea's half, with about ten yards of clear space down the left wing, and he immediately turned back toward our half and lost the ball.

The next time he gives an interview about how brave he is with the ball, someone should give him a slap.

Slizz

The telegraph is saying that the alleged word used towards mikel was 'monkey'

I already said this but it seemed to get overlooked.

It's so easy to get around that allegation.

What you say is

"I didn't call him a monkey, I told him to calm down and stop monkeying around out there" then follow it up with "He was losing control of his emotions at the time and I was trying to keep him in check, I probably should have used a different word due to the recent happenings around football etc. etc."

Or just deny.

Salazar

K1LLER7 alert.

Manchester United RES lost 2-1 to Tranmere Rovers at the Cliff this afternoon in a friendly, United's goal from Bébé

Fuck Jeff Winter and Poll, incidentally. Tedious self-glorifying gobshites with nowt to offer.

Dude, go straight to the Head of the Department and explain the situation. Don't bother waiting for the professor.

Salvadora

Mark Clattenburg: high flyer who courted controversy on and off field
Mark Clattenburg has long cut a precocious figure; in the best and worst senses of the word. First seen running the line in the rough, tough Northern League at the age of 18, he became a Football League referee at a then unprecedented 25 and made the prestigious Fifa list shortly after his 30th birthday.

Still only 37 and now ranked among the world's foremost officials, Clattenburg openly enjoys the trappings of success. He has embraced the 21st century's "look at me" celebrity culture to the extent that, with his love of expensive sports cars, designer labels and artfully applied hair gel, he could easily be confused with the Premier League footballers he is paid to control.

Born in Consett, County Durham, and brought up in the Northumberland town of Cramlington, Clattenburg is a Newcastle United fan whose allegiance prevents him from officiating at their matches. One of his proudest moments came six years ago when he refereed Alan Shearer's testimonial. It was the sort of occasion the schoolboy who had taken up officiating to earn his Duke of Edinburgh's Award and the young man who qualified as an electrician in the days before professional referees existed could barely have dreamt of.

In recent years Clattenburg's "matey" refereeing style has, on occasion, created on-field sparks. Sometimes his casual, chatty approach towards the game's multimillionaire players works superbly, at others it raises hackles among a breed known for their sensitivity to being "dis-respected" and, on Sunday, it left him fighting to save his career.

The truth or otherwise of accusations that Clattenburg aimed a racist insult at Chelsea's Mikel John Obi during Manchester United's 3-2 win at Stamford Bridge remains unknown but despite the staunch support of the referees' union, he is facing the most severe crisis of his professional life.

Although very different from previous traumas, it is far from the first upheaval he has confronted in recent years. The divorced father of a young son, his private life has not always run smoothly while his stewardship of two electrical companies was beset by financial difficulties.

Almost four years ago Clattenburg made headlines when his £40,000 Black Porsche Boxster was vandalised outside his smart apartment in Lanesbrough Court, a gated complex in the affluent Newcastle suburb of Gosforth. A former girlfriend and business partner of the referee was subsequently arrested and questioned by police in connection with the incident.

Earlier in 2008 he had been sacked by the Professional Game Match Officials board pending a probe into his business affairs following allegations that he owed £60,000 as a result of a failed venture as the co-owner of an electrical company.

In February 2009 Clattenburg was reinstated as a Select Group Referee on appeal but suspended for eight months from 6 August 2008 – the date of his original ban – for "issues relating to his private and business affairs". The Newcastle Evening Chronicle reported that Clattenburg's suspension was related partly to anonymous allegations of gambling, domestic violence and drug taking relayed to a senior PGMO official in an unsigned letter. Although the referee vehemently denied the claims, the governing body was duty bound to investigate complaints it has consistently refused to comment on.

Mark Hughes was one of a number of managers who welcomed Clattenburg back saying he was a "good referee" and the game "needed" men of his talent but in December 2009 Hughes, then in charge of Manchester City, at least temporarily changed his mind. The Welshman was left furious after accusing Clattenburg of asking the City bench "How do you work with Craig Bellamy all week?" in a game against Bolton during which he sent the forward off for a second yellow card offence.

In 2007 Clattenburg's judgment had been called, similarly, into question when, during a Merseyside derby, he seemed poised to issue Everton's Tony Hibbert with a yellow card before producing a red following a brief discussion with Liverpool's Steven Gerrard. Later in the game he failed to dismiss Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt for a two-footed waist-high lunge. He did not take charge of another match involving Everton until earlier this year and has yet to reappear at Goodison Park.

Like every referee, Clattenburg has made his fair share of controversial decisions and there have, inevitably, been mistakes. Overall, though, a man dubbed "absolutely fantastic" by the Leeds United manager Neil Warnock – normally a scourge of match officials – has got far more decisions right than wrong.

Identified as a high flyer by Fifa, he has been widely expected to be the English referring representative at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. At the London Olympics Clattenburg refereed the final between Brazil and Mexico, with his performance impressing Fifa and confirming PGMO's opinion that he ranks as one of their brightest talents. Whether or not he can emerge from the shadow cast by Chelsea's allegations remains to be seen.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/29/mark-clattenburg-referee-chelsea-allegations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom