• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
NEW BT SPORT TV SHOWS

BT Sport Live (Nightly, 6.30pm, BT Sport 1)
BT Sport Live will be the new nightly news, debate and information show from BT Sport bringing viewers the latest news and debate from the world of sport. Broadcast live from the new BT Sport studio, the show reviews the best action and sporting news of the past 24 hours and looks ahead to the upcoming line-up on BT Sport. The show features news reports and reaction from around the UK and beyond. Among those joining the show will be Neil Warnock, the popular former Queens Park Rangers, Leeds United and Sheffield United manager. A fantastic addition to the BT Sport family, he will also be a regular contributor to other BT Sport football coverage. Warnock brings with him a wealth of insight and perspective from an impressive managerial career spanning thirteen clubs over more than 30 years. Other presenters and contributors for BT Sport Live will include Darren Fletcher, Vassos Alexander, Lynsey Hipgrave and Caroline de Moraes.

Sunday Night Football (Sunday nights, BT Sport 1)
Sunday night will be European football night on BT Sport when European football expert James Richardson will be joined by a panel of experts to discuss the game across the continent. The show will feature live coverage of numerous games from around Europe.

woof

Fifa and Uefa have lost an appeal against a European ruling that the World Cup and Euro Championships must be shown on free-to-air TV in the UK.

In 2011, the European General Court said the UK could keep the events on a list of "protected" events of national sporting interest broadcast for free.

It means the two tournaments cannot be sold exclusively to pay-TV firms.

Fifa and Uefa had appealed, after saying they could not sell the events fairly for their real value.

But the European Court of Justice - Europe's Supreme Court - has now said the original decision in the General Court (formerly Court of First Instance) in 2011 was correct.

Big money
The BBC and ITV had already secured the rights to broadcast the football World Cup finals in 2014, and they were guaranteed of being shown free-to-air.

But there had been fears that moves towards a pay-TV model would have been in place in time for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, should Fifa and Uefa have won their case.

The court said it "dismisses the appeals brought by Fifa and Uefa in their entirety".

Fifa earned a minimum of $2bn in TV and media rights deals for the South Africa 2010 World Cup, and Uefa makes hundreds of millions of dollars from the sale of its TV rights to the European Championships.

Pay-TV rights for football are currently big business, as seen by the huge sums paid by BT Sports and Sky in the latest Premier League TV deal, which kicks off in the forthcoming 2013/14 season.

BT has spent £738m over three years for the rights to 38 live matches a season. and Sky paid £2.3bn for 116 matches a season.

'Major importance'
Even if Fifa had won its case, World Cup finals games featuring England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would have remained free to watch in the UK, as would the opening games, semi-finals and the final.

But it was the other dozens of games featuring non-UK teams that Fifa was disputing - and had argued that matches such as these should not be shown for free in the UK.

Fifa and Uefa had argued that the current set-up interfered with their ability to sell television rights at the best commercial price they could get in the marketplace.

However, the UK argued that all the 64 World Cup finals matches and 31 European Championship matches were an important part of the list of national sporting "crown jewels", that have to be made available to the whole population to watch on terrestrial television.

And the court agreed, saying that European states were able to select broadcast events, "which they deem to be of major importance for society" and show them for free.

Otherwise it "would deprive a substantial proportion of the public of the possibility of following those events on free television".

'Rebuffed'
Belgium was also successful in keeping the rights to World Cup and European Championship matches on free-to-air services.

Despite the more than two-year wait for the result of the appeal by Fifa and Uefa, many experts had expected the decision to go against them.

"The result means that Uefa and Fifa have now reached the end of their European Court journey," said Daniel Geey, a TV sports rights expert at Field Fisher Waterhouse law firm.

"Their aim was to try and secure concessions to market some of their World Cup and Euro matches to pay-TV channels in the UK and Belgium with the ultimate aim of maximising their revenues.

"The European courts have rebuffed such an approach."

Fucking FIFA. Fuck off.

Hixx

NEW BT SPORT TV SHOWS

BT Sport Live (Nightly, 6.30pm, BT Sport 1)
BT Sport Live will be the new nightly news, debate and information show from BT Sport bringing viewers the latest news and debate from the world of sport. Broadcast live from the new BT Sport studio, the show reviews the best action and sporting news of the past 24 hours and looks ahead to the upcoming line-up on BT Sport. The show features news reports and reaction from around the UK and beyond. Among those joining the show will be Neil Warnock, the popular former Queens Park Rangers, Leeds United and Sheffield United manager. A fantastic addition to the BT Sport family, he will also be a regular contributor to other BT Sport football coverage. Warnock brings with him a wealth of insight and perspective from an impressive managerial career spanning thirteen clubs over more than 30 years. Other presenters and contributors for BT Sport Live will include Darren Fletcher, Vassos Alexander, Lynsey Hipgrave and Caroline de Moraes.

Sunday Night Football (Sunday nights, BT Sport 1)
Sunday night will be European football night on BT Sport when European football expert James Richardson will be joined by a panel of experts to discuss the game across the continent. The show will feature live coverage of numerous games from around Europe.

woof

Do BT Sport really think people will be drawn to their channel by Colin? Really?

GorillaJu

Another shitty part about there being no league football is that there's no Football Weekly. That was like, the highlight of my morning weekly commute twice every week. 45 minute train ride? No problem...

Clegg

God no, it's been nothing but United muppetry, and there's been like a two hour lull, finally giving us some respite.
There hasn't been enough as far as I'm concerned.

I'll only be satisfied once United are linked with a double swoop for Ronaldo and Messi.

Kenka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwGW_8Cqaw&t=0m41s

ih4UQSL7TYQ9K.gif
I thought the Bayern Munich of Scandinavia was Rosenborg.

Meier

However, it appears to be somewhat lower with City sources saying that they will pay an initial fee of £16.4m and up to £4.2m in add-ons.

Clauses include a £850,000 payment to Sevilla if Negredo helps City win the Champions League, £500,000 if they lift the Premier League title and £250,000 for Champions League qualification.

4 years at £75k. Love this transfer.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
PC Club we got a division to win

Someone kick Quiche

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Zidane proves why Edgar Davids is the coolest mofo in football
Zidane "While in Turin I also used to put on a fisherman's hat and go play football with the immigrants on the streets. That idea was inspired by my then teammate Edgar Davids."

"Davids was crazy, he did it very often, he took the car & as soon as he saw someone playing in a parking lot he stopped & joined. Davids always told me - it's with them that we have to play, these are the real big games - I admired him for that."
SXdQpbX.gif

And now we finally know why he headbutted Materazzi on his chest...jealousy.
Zidane "Deschamps told you that Ventrone (Juve ex-fitness coach) made fun of me because I had no chest muscles? It's funny, I still don't!"

"I've never had strong chest muscles, and i'll never have, it isn't a serious issue, football isn't played with the chest."

-

It actually looks like this Pablo Osvaldo deal might go ahead.

Still not sure how to feel.

He's a top-7 striker, easily.

Salazar

I've only watched a couple of episodes of Running Man. The episodes with Park and one episode with Ryu (Dodgers baseball pitcher). They're really funny from what little I have seen.

Aww man. It's quality from the start. They used to have intense food and drink challenges. Rolling a 12 sided die, and the number it landed on dictated how many lemons got juiced into your drink. Or how many spoonfuls of instant coffee go in your cup.

Family Outing was badass, too. JaeSuk, JongKook, Hyori. Just comic gold.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl06i3_kookri_people#.UefdthZFuHI

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Edgar Davids... It's hard not to have some urge to punch those glasses off him.

Probably still sleeping.

That Quiche, im gonna go out then for an hour if we can gather people that would be great.

Mr Cola

PS3 master race, wanna play a Fifa match?

Do your fans write songs about you?

Cola, he is a handsome man
Cola, he is a man u fan
Cola, he likes to troll ya
And when he plays he is a hat trick man

How the crowd does it im not sure

GorillaJu

Man, Lunchbox isn't even trying in this thread. He's an absolute riot over in the Manshion OT :lol

Lunchbox extolling the virtues of Tommy Hilfiger, and boken doing his 1000 incomprehensible posts per minute thing in one thread. If hell exists, it can't be far off from that thread.

panty

So we're asking 40M€ for Higuain.. that seems a bit too high. He's a world-class striker but 40M. Would Napoli spend that much money to replace Cavani?

Salazar

Lunchbox extolling the virtues of Tommy Hilfiger, and boken doing his 1000 incomprehensible posts per minute thing in one thread. If hell exists, it can't be far off from that thread.

yup

Street fashion photo blogs make that thread

a) unnecessary
b) seem really goddamn dumb and tedious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom