• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWong

Banned
Giroud-Vs-RVP.png

We won.

Let's do that comparison with the 12-13 RVP.

phaze

Have been lurking for quite a while, but I'll take the opportunity during this lull to introduce myself. I'm an American fan and have been trying to learn and follow the game since WC2010. Arsenal supporter and also follow DC United in the US domestic league (dead last this season).

Needless to say, life is pain.

Welcome to the masochist brigade. :D Have fun.

I suppose I should be a bit upset about Rosicky's deal but I really like the guy even if he doesn't contribute that much.

L1NETT

Sal, RVP played way fewer games in 08/09 than Giroud did in 12/13 which means all that stats they seem to go in Giroud's favour.....don't.

I really think he gets far too much criticism from arsenal fans. He could explode this season.

Because compared to who they have had up front before he is bog average.

Wes

venison crêpe
Thanks FA.

Now Villa's opening three games are Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and they all happen within 8 days.

Barzul

I think Giroud could be really good this season, clearly has the talent, with those sublime flicks he produces sometimes. His finishing was just terrible last season.

Barzul

Who does Arsenal go for next if we land Suarez? Clearly need a new defender, I've been hoping for a new keeper too. Just not sure Szczeny is a title winning keeper. Midfield I'm not so sure.

Suen

Who does Arsenal go for next if we land Suarez? Clearly need a new defender, I've been hoping for a new keeper too. Just not sure Szczeny is a title winning keeper. Midfield I'm not so sure.
Supposedly there are rumors about us being linked with Adil Rami. Hope we get him.

LTWheels

Nearly finished listening.

He stresses the importance of contact between the prospective club and player, which Arsenal now have.

The importance comes from 'head being turned'. He still does say that Liverpool can 'drag their heels' over the value of the transfer.They don't have to sell. It's not just the value of the transfer that Arsenal have to budget it for, its also wages as well over the length of the contract (I expect Suarez will get a pay rise if signed)

It's not completely straight forward.

Walshy

The importance comes from 'head being turned'. He still does say that Liverpool can 'drag their heels' over the value of the transfer.They don't have to sell. It's not just the value of the transfer that Arsenal have to budget it for, its also wages as well over the length of the contract (I expect Suarez will get a pay rise if signed)

That's what I gathered when he stressed about the importance of the two different contracts. Either way, we have the advantage at the moment, as Suarez's representatives would have been in touch with Arsenal already, making the whole clause pointless.

Never knew Suarez's contract apparently was based on incentives similar to ones in American sports. Guessing most new contracts in the club are structured like this, which is brilliant. Remember when we had injured players such as Degen sitting back and taking a paycheck for contributing nothing?

Wilbur

Banned
2003-06 United team sucked dick apart from a few areas. Rooney and RVN, Heinze was pretty good around then, and Scholes was still Scholes. Apart from that we sucked shit

And we sucked vagina

Salvadora

Yep. Arsenal's transfer budget is considerable, but wages will take a big bite out of it.

I'm still not sold on Arsenal/Pere Guardiola thinking that a £40m + £1 bid would actually trigger a buy-out clause, though. I think it's much more likely that they triggered it to get speaking to him.

iirc the guy from Berwin Leighton Paisner said there's a general EPL contract document, along with a few extras sometimes. Seems like it would be very unlikely a situation like the one that is being reported could happen.

LTWheels

It makes sense that the value of Suarez's contract to Liverpool is in the £50m region. If you think about it in terms of compensation to Liverpool, as a player he is worth that much. If you consider the length of the contract remaining, the amount of goals he scores, he's the 'star player' for the Liverpool brand, etc.

If Suarez was playing for a better side, his value in compensation to the club would not be as high, as the team would have other 'star players' that provide the above mentioned. In a top team he would be one of many top players; whilst at Liverpool he is the top player. In terms of compensation he is worth more to Liverpool.

Ingeniero

Have been lurking for quite a while, but I'll take the opportunity during this lull to introduce myself. I'm an American fan and have been trying to learn and follow the game since WC2010. Arsenal supporter and also follow DC United in the US domestic league (dead last this season).

Needless to say, life is pain.
My man, welcome

Feorax

I'm of the opinion now that Suarez's ongoing silence makes no sense whatsoever. What exactly has he got left to lose? The respect of the fans? His teammates? The manager? The club? I think that all went out the window when he opened his mouth in Brazil and lied to everyone's faces.

Let's just get this over with. Grow some fucking balls Luis, you've never had a problem commenting on your future before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom