• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

Thiago: "I've made a huge mistake"

bfiTEzN.png

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I have to wonder whether it's possible to break into the top 4 positions without making what some might view as "bad buys".

To clarify, I don't mean total flops like Carroll/Torres, what I mean is paying well over the odds for a player where you could end up stuck down the line.

Soldado could be a good example of this. Whether us or Spurs get him, you're looking at £80k to £100k wages per week for a player who is 28 and will command a £25 million transfer fee.

He'll score the goals to get you there if there's enough quality behind him, sure, but arguably if/when CL football comes along, he could start to look like a bit part player on big wages depending on who is brought in with the new money/status.

City made a fair few of these buys, but they could afford to, and quite clearly it worked out in the end. As admirable as FSG's transfer policy has been, I think we need to no longer be afraid of what happened to us in the summer of 2011.

Even if you make a good buy they want to jump ship as soon as possible. Bale hasnt yet but he will, Suarez wants out and is willing to go to a club 1 rung up the ladder who only just get into the champions league.

Clegg

There's still 6 weeks left until the transfer window closes.That's enough time to get a quality midfielder in. Although it does seem like we've wasted time in persuing Fabregas. He may have been open to joining United but Barca certainly weren't.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
My biggest worry with United atm is that if there is such a thing as tiers we are hovering below the top tier with regards to transfers, there isnt much doubt Ferguson was a huge draw because you knew you were going to success. It maybe a temporary hover but it certainly is there at the moment, if you have a choice between Madrid, Bayern, Barca and United then United doesnt seem the top bet for players. If we won the premiership next year and got deep into the Champs then im sure the ship would settle itself but now theres too much uncertainty.

Yen

I have to wonder whether it's possible to break into the top 4 positions without making what some might view as "bad buys".

To clarify, I don't mean total flops like Carroll/Torres, what I mean is paying well over the odds for a player where you could end up stuck down the line.

Soldado could be a good example of this. Whether us or Spurs get him, you're looking at £80k to £100k wages per week for a player who is 28 and will command a £25 million transfer fee.

He'll score the goals to get you there if there's enough quality behind him, sure, but arguably if/when CL football comes along, he could start to look like a bit part player on big wages depending on who is brought in with the new money/status.

City made a fair few of these buys, but they could afford to, and quite clearly it worked out in the end. As admirable as FSG's transfer policy has been, I think we need to no longer be afraid of what happened to us in the summer of 2011.
Stage 3: Bargaining

Jack cw

HHNNNNNGHHH

he looks great in a bayern shirt
Yes but i still have to get used to it. Thiago was THE Barca talent... I never thought he would actually leave but its so satisfying that he has chosen Bayern over United... Its amazing how irrelevant United has become in just a few years.

Wilbur

Banned
Yes but i still have to get used to it. Thiago was THE Barca talent... I never thought he would actually leave but its so satisfying that he has chosen Bayern over United... Its amazing how irrelevant United has become in just a few years.

Lol what are you on about you freaking spenk toaster

Only two years ago you were getting bummed into oblivion by the yellow death, just because you steal domestic rivals best teams and use your bald and well groomed coach to lure youngsters across your borders with promise of sausage and blowjobs doesnt automatically mean every other team in the world is rendered irrelevant.

It's going to be a tough year for us this time round, but we've just come off a league title. Irrelevant how? Irrelevant in the sense that we don't currently own a European title and we haven't convinced a player to distance himself from past coaches and join us? It's hardly irrelevancy.

Just another notch on the 'fuck Bayern' cricket bat I can't wait to see fuck your club into the void of nothingness and German football. Enjoy your cycle.

dc89

DoOqLdF.png

The eyes of a coach who knows there is another signing coming soon.

Oh and take note Moyes, when asked about Pepe.

"I don't speak about rumours, today we have the players we need here. I just said we will see what happens this month and during August but I'm not talking about a specific name because it's better for us. So I don't talk about the papers."

bud

Lol what are you on about you freaking spenk toaster

Only two years ago you were getting bummed into oblivion by the yellow death, just because you steal domestic rivals best teams and use your bald and well groomed coach to lure youngsters across your borders with promise of sausage and blowjobs doesnt automatically mean every other team in the world is rendered irrelevant.

It's going to be a tough year for us this time round, but we've just come off a league title. Irrelevant how? Irrelevant in the sense that we don't currently own a European title and we haven't convinced a player to distance himself from past coaches and join us? It's hardly irrelevancy.

Just another notch on the 'fuck Bayern' cricket bat I can't wait to see fuck your club into the void of nothingness and German football. Enjoy your cycle.

ur one cheeky cunt m8 i swear im going to wreck u i swear on my mum's life

Jack cw

You just posted the definition of irrelevancy :D

dc89

Watching the ESPN press pass and I just pissed myself laughing at the Dutch fitness coach's comments. :loooooool

Jurassic Park. :LOL Probably late, but who gives a shit.

bud

DoOqLdF.png

The eyes of a coach who knows there is another signing coming soon.

Oh and take note Moyes, when asked about Pepe.

"I don't speak about rumours, today we have the players we need here. I just said we will see what happens this month and during August but I'm not talking about a specific name because it's better for us. So I don't talk about the papers."

pellegrini's class.

Watching the ESPN press pass and I just pissed myself laughing at the Dutch fitness coach's comments. :loooooool

Jurassic Park. :LOL Probably late, but who gives a shit.

It's late, and the guy is a rent-a-quote:

Primarily a fitness coach, Verheijen has publicly criticised the training methods of a number of English teams, such as London-based clubs Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur,[5] as well as former club Manchester City.[6] Earlier in his career, Verheijen publicly criticised the coaching methods of Dutch team Feyenoord,[7] but returned there to advise on pre-season build up in July 2011.[8]

And:

Two weeks after the death of Wales' national team manager Gary Speed, Verheijen said that he would like to become the new Wales manager and continue Speed's legacy (he described it as "Gary's wish").

dc89

Moyes doesn't speak about players at other football clubs though:

http://youtu.be/QkbCLSxf0A8?t=12m55s

:loooooooool

Moyes changed the moment he walked though the door at Old Trafford. At Everton he battered Mark Hughes for going after Lescott and the multiple bids. He said Lescott was not for sale at any price (a bit like Barca and Fabregas) and then he said City had no class for persisting with bids (a bit like Barca and Fabregas).

I'm gonna enjoy his tenure at United.

It looks like Shinji will not travel with the club to Hong Kong. He's technically still on vacation, but wanted to take part in United's tour of Japan as he felt it was his obligation to Japanese fans.

Empty

what on earth is ed woodward doing. why is he ceo. he looks like he should be regional manager of a shitty insurance company.

Feorax

It looks like Shinji will not travel with the club to Hong Kong. He's technically still on vacation, but wanted to take part in United's tour of Japan as he felt it was his obligation to Japanese fans.

That could be weird for him. Having a vacation, back to pre-season fitness training, then another vacation, then back to pre-season again.

Shouldn't worry about it, the rest of the United squad is also still on vacation.

what on earth is ed woodward doing. why is he ceo. he looks like he should be regional manager of a shitty insurance company.

Because he's a Glazer prodigy who's a PR expert and former hedge fund manager. The fact that he's not a football fan has very little importance in Glazer's eyes.

Read this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...lises-the-Glazerfication-of-Old-Trafford.html

There was no way Glazer wasn't going to bring one of his own men in.

The top rated comment on that article from a fan in the know:

'The income, coupled with bold refinancing including the bond issue of 2010, has helped the Glazer’s finance the debt and retain control. The supporters may hate it, but it has worked.'

It worked for the Glazers, not for United. I'm not sure you fully understand the bond issue and the reasons behind it. In an era of very low interest rates United are forced to pay high interest on the bonds. Why would any Finance Director arrange such finance?

The reason was simply in order for the Glazers to be able to pay themselves dividends and other fees despite the high debt. The terms of the Bond issue allows them to do that whereas the Bank covenants did not. The bond issue was in the interests of the Glazers not United.

Real United fans must continue to fight to rid themselves of the vermin, and that includes Woodward.

Just because most of our idiot fans are choosing to ignore it, it doesn't mean we're not currently getting fucked over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom