• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

I think the idea is we should really be defending more from the front. Basically the midfield needs to do a much better job of protecting the back 4, whilst the CB's and Mig will act as improvised sweepers.

I have no problem if we go into next year with a CB team of Agger, Skrtel, Wisdom and Toure. If we sell Skrtel, however, then we are going to be forced to bring someone in.

Given how close we are to the new season, I think we need to start looking at what problems we could possibly solve using the squad itself.

Wisdom is not close to being good enough, he's well behind Coates even. A good performance against some preseason scrubs means nothing.

Zabojnik

kA3jNbU.gif

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

spidye

I'd rather see Schweinsteiger in the midfield and Lahm back. Rafinha on the bench please. Still a killer starting 11.

Schweini is not fully fit. I don't think pep will start someone who is not fully fit and ready to give 110%.
we won't see götze for a long time either. maybe for a few minutes in friendlies but definitely not in the starting eleven.

I'm ok with that to be honest. I have to say lahm as a cm is very interesting to say at least. it always paid off until now

Clegg

United fans on twitter saying we should look to our academy and reserve sides for a midfielder instead of a marquee signing.

Kind of ridiculous when you consider our only real midfield prospects are Tunnicliffe (crap), Lingard (wide midfielder/not good enough) and Powell (could be good enough/could be Gibson 2.0).

And these same people are saying we shouldn't sign Cabaye and Fellaini because it would be a step down in the standards of Manchester United. We've played Rafael and Park as a midfield combo in a League game. We have military medium Ando and Clev as major squad members. We have no standards in midfield.

Hummels on Bayern:
"I still followed Bayern passionately, even after my move to Dortmund. But with every year you've been gone and become a rival, it gets less. I think it's kind of a shame. I've played there for 12 and a half years, from age 6 to 19. That the emotional relationship fades that much is also a bit sad. Because that was a big part of my life."

Hummels is like the best guy in football, I'm not even kidding.

just read Arsenal won a friendly vs a japanese team. pack it up, the CL is theirs this season.

also, seems Porto are getting closer and closer to Bernard.

United fans on twitter saying we should look to our academy and reserve sides for a midfielder instead of a marquee signing.

Kind of ridiculous when you consider our only real midfield prospects are Tunnicliffe (crap), Lingard (wide midfielder/not good enough) and Powell (could be good enough/could be Gibson 2.0).

There isn't anyone. The best potential midfielders aren't ready yet. It just shows how little they know about the reserves.

Feorax

Wisdom is not close to being good enough, he's well behind Coates even. A good performance against some preseason scrubs means nothing.

He's raw for sure, but he has something that none of our other CB's can offer. Pace.

That's something that really let us down when teams counter-attacked this season, and even if it's only in the odd game where we know we're going to be up against speed merchants, he could be extremely useful.

Mastadon

Banned
He's raw for sure, but he has something that none of our other CB's can offer. Pace.

That's something that really let us down when teams counter-attacked this season, and even if it's only in the odd game where we know we're going to be up against speed merchants, he could be extremely useful.

I'd like him to go on loan for a year a get a bit more experience to be honest, especially at CB. Kelly should be before him. At 22, if he's not ready to step up now then I don't know if he ever will be.

Jordan Ibe is going to be a better player than Sterling.

LTWheels

I know this is the kiss of death, but I've been really surprised that we've not conceded a goal so far in pre-season. I think we've only conceded one goal since Suarez was banned.

As top of a player Suarez is. He can give away the ball a lot. Then we end up with our opponent free to run against our back four.

Feorax

I'd like him to go on loan for a year a get a bit more experience to be honest, especially at CB. Kelly should be before him. At 22, if he's not ready to step up now then I don't know if he ever will be.

I agree with this, but it would appear Rodgers wants to use Kelly as RB cover from what I've seen this pre-season. If we're not going to bring in another CB (and it's not looking that way right now, given that the Papa and Ilori deals appear to have fallen through) then I don't think we can afford to loan Wisdom.

Mastadon

Banned
I agree with this, but it would appear Rodgers wants to use Kelly as RB cover from what I've seen this pre-season. If we're not going to bring in another CB (and it's not looking that way right now, given that the Papa and Ilori deals appear to have fallen through) then I don't think we can afford to loan Wisdom.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if he stayed at RB. He's done very well there every time he's played, and offers much more in defence than Johnson does. It's also far more difficult to find talented fullbacks than it is CBs in my opinion. It'd be a shame though. He size and physique definitely lend him to playing in the middle.

I still think we'll sign a new CB though. There's still a long way to go in the window, and Sporting will probably lower their demands for Ilori the closer we come to the window closing.

K1LLER7

So has Verrati handed a transfer request in?

Would love if we went in for him but I think he'll prefer going back to Italy.

Pogtrayer and Verratrayer in midfield for Juve next season.

Juventus treble winners 2013/14.

A couple of points regarding our CB situation

- Rafa fucked up in playing Carra for so long, even when he was costing us a goal every other match. We missed our oppurtunity to let Skrtel and Agger grow as individuals and as a partnership. Perhaps we have time to fix that, doubt it though.

-Inconsistency is a dreadful trait for a CB, can't see Skrtel ever being a favourite of Rodgers unless he reclaims his 11/12 form

-If he does play, that back 4 has the pace to play much higher than we currently do

-Kelly has CB written all over him. Even in his few preseason minutes, there have been occasions where his opposite number has run at him, and he's done his ondomitable brick wall act and just stood side on, giving them no option but to kick the ball at his legs and hope for a rebound like Suarez does. He'll be great when given the chance, I can feel it :p

-We should shift Coates asap, Rodgers will never like him and his value will only depreciate, especially since we're out of the Europa League.

-We could do with another experienced CB who won't mind being in or out of the team based on form. Or Illori, but that seems to be dead in the water.

Wilbur

Banned
It would just be fucking unfair for Juventus to have five top class centre midfielders. Please... you took Pogba. Give us Vidal. Please.

LTWheels

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if he stayed at RB. He's done very well there every time he's played, and offers much more in defence than Johnson does. It's also far more difficult to find talented fullbacks than it is CBs in my opinion. It'd be a shame though. He size and physique definitely lend him to playing in the middle.

I still think we'll sign a new CB though. There's still a long way to go in the window, and Sporting will probably lower their demands for Ilori the closer we come to the window closing.

I also think Kelly is better than crossing than Johnson. You won't see an individual moment from Kelly like a Johnson dribble cutting inside, but Kelly will lose the ball less.

Mastadon

Banned
It would just be fucking unfair for Juventus to have five top class centre midfielders. Please... you took Pogba. Give us Vidal. Please.

As an honorary JuveBro, I can confirm that we wouldn't even sell you a virus.

Or Peluso, which amounts to the same thing.

Feorax

If we can use Kelly as a CB then we can afford to send Wisdom on loan. That being said, we'd probably need to buy another RB at that point, as I don't really rate Flanagan and McLaughlin is still too raw.

Verratti's agent has been stirring up shit all summer. He's just trying to force PSG into a wage increase. He only gets paid 1.7m per year at the moment, which is only slightly more than we pay Bakaye Traore.

On an unrelated note, I have a question for Benfica/Holland-bros: any of you guys have an opinion on Ola John? We are linked with him lately. Wiki says he is an LW but that makes no sense, we don't play with wingers.

Mastadon

Banned
If we can use Kelly as a CB then we can afford to send Wisdom on loan. That being said, we'd probably need to buy another RB at that point, as I don't really rate Flanagan and McLaughlin is still too raw.

Flanagan is wank and his face offends me deeply. I still have hopes for Robinson on the left, although I must admit I hoped he would develop more than he has so far.

McLaughlin is going to be world class. Arnie's foetus sense is tingling.

Flanagan is wank and his face offends me deeply. I still have hopes for Robinson on the left, although I must admit I hoped he would develop more than he has so far.

McLaughlin is going to be world class. Arnie's foetus sense is tingling.

Are you saying he wouldn't make it into 'Brenton's Touchable Top Ten' list?

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes 1m
Remarkable, via @Fernando_Duarte - doctor says he's helping two Brazilian national team players to dope

Neymar and Dani Alves

Messi is like the Lance Armstrong of football. If you wanna be in my team, pop these pills and STFU.

Feorax

At the end of next season, I suspect Rodgers will pick 2 of Enrique, Robinson, and Cissokho and decide who he wants to be his LB's for the forseeable future.

We could do with investing in a quality RB soon anyway, as I strongly suspect this will be Johnson's last season with us. He'll be 29 soon enough, and I'm pretty sure he wants to play in Spain at some point in his career.

Also, this is amazing;

Slizz

Remarkable, via @Fernando_Duarte - doctor says he's helping two Brazilian national team players to dope

Neymar and Dani Alves

Messi is like the Lance Armstrong of football. If you wanna be in my team, pop these pills and STFU.

What type of doping tho? Both those guys are skinny rails.... Blood doping?

At the end of next season, I suspect Rodgers will pick 2 of Enrique, Robinson, and Cissokho and decide who he wants to be his LB's for the forseeable future.

We could do with investing in a quality RB soon anyway, as I strongly suspect this will be Johnson's last season with us. He'll be 29 soon enough, and I'm pretty sure he wants to play in Spain at some point in his career.

Also, this is amazing;

Johnson would be spectacular in Spain

dc89

A couple of points regarding our CB situation

- Rafa fucked up in playing Carra for so long, even when he was costing us a goal every other match. We missed our oppurtunity to let Skrtel and Agger grow as individuals and as a partnership. Perhaps we have time to fix that, doubt it though.

-Inconsistency is a dreadful trait for a CB, can't see Skrtel ever being a favourite of Rodgers unless he reclaims his 11/12 form

-If he does play, that back 4 has the pace to play much higher than we currently do

-Kelly has CB written all over him. Even in his few preseason minutes, there have been occasions where his opposite number has run at him, and he's done his ondomitable brick wall act and just stood side on, giving them no option but to kick the ball at his legs and hope for a rebound like Suarez does. He'll be great when given the chance, I can feel it :p

-We should shift Coates asap, Rodgers will never like him and his value will only depreciate, especially since we're out of the Europa League.

-We could do with another experienced CB who won't mind being in or out of the team based on form. Or Illori, but that seems to be dead in the water.

You have Kolo now. All will be fine.

Mastadon

Banned

Also, this is amazing;

I haven't seen a lot of Cissokho to be honest, so not entirely sure if he's being brought in to challenge Enrique for the LB spot or as squad depth? It's needed in either case, as Enrique seemingly cannot manage to sustain any level of form for a full season.

Dr. Iqbal is great, our medical team has done some fantastic work lately. Who would have thought that Danny Agger would manage a whole season injury free? Incredible.

Neymar and Dani Alves

It could be Alves and Adriano. Nerman will soon be the 3rd.

I'm stunned that the only current links Arsenal have are to Suarez and Bernard. Surely the centre of the defence needs strengthening first and foremost? I'm sure a decent holding midfielder wouldn't go amiss either.

We already have our first choice defence nailed on, and will be expecting more from Vermaelen this season. I think we'll bring someone in, but they'll be competition, rather than a starter. We had the 2nd best defensive record in the league last year (and the Kos/Merte stats are great), so the focus will be on stability and trying to keep the silly defensive errors to a bare minimum.

A winger/AM is key because we lack finesse in the final third (excluding Cazorla) and don't break down teams well enough. Not to mention Gervinho who's on his way out also and needs to be replaced.

It has been quiet on the DM front, but David Ornstein seems to think that's one of our priorities this summer, and there are a few options available.

Zaf Iqbal is a cool dude. He has a pretty awesome leather jacket.

I saw him at a family event recently, he brought a signed Liverpool shirt for the kid whose party it was.

Lucky kid.

It could be Alves and Adriano. Nerman will soon be the 3rd.
Does Adriano play for Selecao though?

Gonna call the Brazil NT Selecao from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom