• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.
BQGfVCBCUAAvcWV.jpg:large

Wes

venison crêpe
Marco Capuano ‏@MarcoCapuano14 16h
English Dream!

Marco Capuano ‏@MarcoCapuano14 4h
good morning to everyone especially to English friends who have started following me!

rich smith ‏@rsmiffy2009 5h
@MarcoCapuano14 you coming to villa?

Marco Capuano ‏@MarcoCapuano14 4h
@rsmiffy2009 yet nothing concrete but I'd love to! the dream is related to that!

Marco pls

Sage00

Once And Future Member
BQGgz-DCYAAr7hC.jpg

Ok. Now we need a striker, pronto. LFC we will give you £5m for Suarez, final offer. He'll already agree personal terms at a wage of 10k/w I'm sure since he so desperate to play for a CL club, plus you don't have to ever worry about him playing against you as his career burns out up here. Everyone wins.

Feorax

Ok. Now we need a striker, pronto. LFC we will give you £5m for Suarez, final offer. He'll already agree personal terms at a wage of 10k/w I'm sure since he so desperate to play for a CL club, plus you don't have to ever worry about him playing against you as his career burns out up here. Everyone wins.

Done.

justjohn

Utd fans will turn on the glazers again when results start going bad. I remember that anti glazer campaign around 2004-2007 when arsenal and chelsea were dominating. As soon as they returned to winning ways the campaign quietly fizzled away.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Utd fans will turn on the glazers again when results start going bad. I remember that anti glazer campaign around 2004-2007 when arsenal and chelsea were dominating. As soon as they returned to winning ways the campaign quietly fizzled away.

Hardly unique to united

If city do bad you think Pelle is in a job next season? If Mou does bad you think hes secure? Out of the three Moyes has the most job security next season.

Anti-Glazer campaign was at its height in 2010.

The early years faced hardly any widespread resistance other than the formation of FCUM.

No doubt it'll be back if results go south.

Also, Arsenal's last trophy came before the Glazers even took over. Been a long long time.

Feorax

I'm beginning to warm to the idea of re-uniting the Agger - Skrtel partnership next season, at least until January to see how he gets on.

Skrtel was wank at times last season, but he has generally had more good times than bad at the club, and you would think time spent on the bench would encourage him to focus. If we could get that pairing back to where it was in 2011/12 with arguably a better keeper behind them, then we could be on to something.

GQman2121

Banned
I knew United would take a step back when the old man called it quits, but I thought that would occur on the pitch. This transfers drama that continues to drag is just odd. You want new players in there to see how they mesh with the current squad.

I have no doubt that they'll sign one or two players in the next few weeks, but their failed attempts thus far are noteworthy and signify a dramatic shift at the top of the league.

Also, we're still signing Rooney.

I knew United would take a step back when the old man called it quits, but I thought that would occur on the pitch. This transfers drama that continues to drag is just odd. You want new players in there to see how they mesh with the current squad.

I have no doubt that they'll sign one or two players in the next few weeks, but their failed attempts thus far are noteworthy and signify a dramatic shift at the top of the league.

Also, we're still signing Rooney.

United have been doing worse than City and Chelsea in the transfer market for years.

This summer has been bad, but more because of the way it's happened out in the open. In terms of actual results it's really not dissimilar from the last few years at all.

dc89

Why?

Stuart Pearce could have won the title that season.

Under Stuart Pearce we scored 10 goals at home all season.
Mancini 6 at Old Trafford.

He delivered the clubs first major silverware in over 35 years. He deserves respect from City fans for that.

Walshy

I'm beginning to warm to the idea of re-uniting the Agger - Skrtel partnership next season, at least until January to see how he gets on.

Skrtel was wank at times last season, but he has generally had more good times than bad at the club, and you would think time spent on the bench would encourage him to focus. If we could get that pairing back to where it was in 2011/12 with arguably a better keeper behind them, then we could be on to something.
Don't rule out Toure.

Feorax

Arsenal won in their pre-season game today 2-1

They looked great but they aren't ready to challenge for a title

I'm stunned that the only current links Arsenal have are to Suarez and Bernard. Surely the centre of the defence needs strengthening first and foremost? I'm sure a decent holding midfielder wouldn't go amiss either.

Don't rule out Toure.

Not at all, Toure has done a great job so far in pre-season, and I can certainly see him playing a fair few games this season, either at CB or as a holding midfielder (which I believe he can play competently?).

I know this is the kiss of death, but I've been really surprised that we've not conceded a goal so far in pre-season. I think we've only conceded one goal since Suarez was banned.

Think it may be less risky than it was last season due to the fact that we have Toure rather than Carragher as cover so we wouldn't need to drop the defensive line as deep as we needed to in order to compensate for Carra's lack of pace (To clarify I think Carra came in and did really well last season but Toure has a bit more pace meaning we can press higher up). If we get another LB in also then Johnson won't need to move over from RB so much so maybe Kelly could get more games at CB as well? He's had injury problems but we've not done a bad job of getting previously injury-prone players consistently fit so that could be a possibility.

If we're confident we can get Skrtel back on form then we may just be fine for centre-backs...well, better off than we are in other positions.

EDIT: Just as I'm posting this, Le Twitre says Napoli are in negotiations for him. Time to retcon this post?

GQman2121

Banned
United have been doing worse than City and Chelsea in the transfer market for years.

This summer has been bad, but more because of the way it's happened out in the open. In terms of actual results it's really not dissimilar from the last few years at all.

I guess so. Last summer of Kagawa and RVP wasn't terrible though. I can't see that same quality coming in now.

Moobabe

I'm stunned that the only current links Arsenal have are to Suarez and Bernard. Surely the centre of the defence needs strengthening first and foremost? I'm sure a decent holding midfielder wouldn't go amiss either.

Arsenal need game changers - not just in the final third. Someone that can win a commanding header or a series of challenges in a row is just as important. Why spend £40+ on Suarez when you could sign Fellaini and a couple of other good players for the same amount?

I guess so. Last summer of Kagawa and RVP wasn't terrible though. I can't see that same quality coming in now.

It will be that way until the club is willing to stump up cash and get deals done quickly.

The bids we made for Fabregas were pathetic.

RVP and Kagawa came as we took advantage of them being in the final year of contract. If you want to take a prized asset away from a club you have to pay big.

Feorax

Think it may be less risky than it was last season due to the fact that we have Toure rather than Carragher as cover so we wouldn't need to drop the defensive line as deep as we needed to in order to compensate for Carra's lack of pace (To clarify I think Carra came in and did really well last season but Toure has a bit more pace meaning we can press higher up). If we get another LB in also then Johnson won't need to move over from RB so much so maybe Kelly could get more games at CB as well? He's had injury problems but we've not done a bad job of getting previously injury-prone players consistently fit so that could be a possibility.

If we're confident we can get Skrtel back on form then we may just be fine for centre-backs...well, better off than we are in other positions.

I think Cissokho should be done soon, so there's the LB cover. Honestly, I'm really happy with our squad in every area except the wings. I don't understand why we keep getting linked to strikers and number 10's when two quality wide players would make our entire squad look a hell of a lot stronger.

I'd rather not start the season with Aspas/Downing/Borini/Coutinho (;_;) as our first choice wingers, as I can see it being the case very quickly that Ibe and Sterling will end up playing more games than they should.

sohois

I'm sure the Skrtel situation is just Liverpool waiting for someone to come in for him, but if not then they'll gamble on him recovering his form. Bringing in Papadopolous with his knee injury would be a pretty big risk as well so no sense in trying to force Skrtel out.

Really the whole defence suffered once Clarke went and I presume steps will be taken to improve upon everyone's performances there.

spidye

so for the game tomorrow we will probably see this formation:

Starke
Rafinha-Boateng-Dante-Alaba
Lahm-Thiago-Kroos
Shaqiri-Müller-Robben

if only götze wasn't injured

Feorax

I'm sure the Skrtel situation is just Liverpool waiting for someone to come in for him, but if not then they'll gamble on him recovering his form. Bringing in Papadopolous with his knee injury would be a pretty big risk as well so no sense in trying to force Skrtel out.

Really the whole defence suffered once Clarke went and I presume steps will be taken to improve upon everyone's performances there.

I think the idea is we should really be defending more from the front. Basically the midfield needs to do a much better job of protecting the back 4, whilst the CB's and Mig will act as improvised sweepers.

I have no problem if we go into next year with a CB team of Agger, Skrtel, Wisdom and Toure. If we sell Skrtel, however, then we are going to be forced to bring someone in.

Given how close we are to the new season, I think we need to start looking at what problems we could possibly solve using the squad itself.

Jack cw

so for the game tomorrow we will probably see this formation:

Starke
Rafinha-Boateng-Dante-Alaba
Lahm-Thiago-Kroos
Shaqiri-Müller-Robben

if only götze wasn't injured
I'd rather see Schweinsteiger in the midfield and Lahm back. Rafinha on the bench please. Still a killer starting 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom