• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dat Tata backpedalling

Now he's saying Messi didn't have anything to do with his hiring lololololololololololol

Barca are hilarious

ErUHllg.jpg

lol indeed

Arnie

Marca is full of shit. Bale's staying in London, bank on it.
Oh, I am.

I don't expect Bale to go anywhere this season.
If Arsenal are willing to pay £50m, then we should raise the goalposts to £55m.

If they are willing to reach £55m, raise it again :)

Fuck selling to them for £50 million.

Liverpool should sign Kalou. I'm not kidding. They could do worse.
Fucking no, god no, definitely no.

I'd rather hammer a nail through my cock.

Yen

What's this Orpahn Black thing? Hear it's good. Is it coming to UK TV, or Netflix, does anyone know?

If Arsenal are willing to pay £50m, then we should raise the goalposts to £55m.

If they are willing to reach £55m, raise it again :)

Apparently Arse will pay £50m and Tony Barrett says our valuation is £60m now. Ha.

He comes from the Ivory Coast, Kalou, Kalou,
He don't do coke like Adrian Mutu, Mutu,
He crossed the ball from the left,
It landed right on Riise's head,
That's why we love Salomon Kalou,
La la la la la la la la la...

And that has anything to do with their internal political shenanigans this summer...how?

The point is, its irrelevant how much influence Messi has within the club. Whatever he's doing, it seems to be working at least as far as La Liga's concerned

Looking at that table is weird. Madrid got 85 points, yet its widely acknowledged that they had a rubbish league season. Man Utd on the other hand got 89 points, and had a brilliant league season. Goes to show how much of a pushover the bottom 15 are in La Liga

deGod

You try to hide the panty from your mind hah. Going to the countryside with a group of friends, we have a cabin and we'll be there the whole weekend. There's internet so I have to at least peek in on the Real-PSG game.

Sounds like a bad horror. First your power goes then ye all get picked off one by one

Turok_TTZ

That's simple.

Sahin can't play without a bit of muscle alongside him. He's defensively poop, and softer than Januzaj, so you couldn't just stick him and Alonso in the same side. Alonso is the better playmaker, too. It makes no sense to drop Alonso for Sahin, it might now, or in another year, but not back when Sahin joined.

The real issue, and something that will once again happen at Madrid, is buying players that aren't needed, or who don't fit into an exact plan. Look at Modric, he was a superlative player at Spurs, he's lacking confidence and consistency at Real. I worry for his future, especially with Illaramendi coming in.

And it's partly Sahin's fault, too. The team was built around him at Dortmund, he didn't realise what he had until it was gone.
Sahin was supposed to be Alonso's replacement. That was the plan when we signed him. And unlike modric, Sahin was sorely needed in madrid. But Mourinho didn't know what he had and apparently was fine with Alonso's weaknesses being exploited.

I was never impressed with modric when he was at spurs. Still not impressed with his time here in madrid either. He should worry, I expect our signings to either push him to show why he was signed in the first place or get sold off by season's end. I never liked modric.

Not sure on Sahin's weaknesses. When he was paired with Khedira, he played just fine. as to alonso, sahin is not used to covering so its to be expected. Alonso has been a key player and a liability for madrid for some time now and has been becoming more a liability thna a key player. Sahin was the answer but... oh well.

Least Carlo is here now and hopefully we do not fuck up with the mids we have now.

@ clegg You forget sahin spanked schweinstieger on more than one occasion. why do you think I had such high hopes for Sahin in the first place?

Arnie

Not sure on Sahin's weaknesses.

And that's why your argument doesn't really hold much ground.

It's fine saying Alonso has shortcomings, most players do, but you're talking about Sahin like he's better than him without really knowing what it is he offers. Sahin's extremely limited, more so than Xabi, in my opinion, and I've seen both play for my club just like you have.

I think Sahin was just overhyped because of how well he gelled with his Dortmund teammates, and when he left he lost a lot of what made him special. He wasn't good enough to start as a deep playmaker for us, and we finished 7th in the league last season. He isn't good enough to start for Dortmund, as things stand, and he certainly wouldn't have been an improvement on Alonso at Madrid.

Clegg

Sahin was supposed to be Alonso's replacement. That was the plan when we signed him. And unlike modric, Sahin was sorely needed in madrid. But Mourinho didn't know what he had and apparently was fine with Alonso's weaknesses being exploited.

I was never impressed with modric when he was at spurs. Still not impressed with his time here in madrid either. He should worry, I expect our signings to either push him to show why he was signed in the first place or get sold off by season's end. I never liked modric.

Not sure on Sahin's weaknesses. When he was paired with Khedira, he played just fine. as to alonso, sahin is not used to covering so its to be expected. Alonso has been a key player and a liability for madrid for some time now and has been becoming more a liability thna a key player. Sahin was the answer but... oh well.

Least Carlo is here now and hopefully we do not fuck up with the mids we have now.

@ clegg You forget sahin spanked schweinstieger on more than one occasion. why do you think I had such high hopes for Sahin in the first place?

I know how good Sahin can be. But he's shown indifferent form over the last 18 months or so. I couldn't fault Madrid if they decided to sell him back to Dortmund. I doubt he'd be good enough to start for Dortmund right now either. He certainly wasn't good enough to start in the CL final.

Sahin played well against Munich in the past but that was before they signed Martinez. He has helped elevate Munich's midfield to a new level.

Were you really unimpressed with Modric at Spurs. He was the best technical midfielder in the league after Fabregas left and of the best midfielders in the league full stop.

pulga

Banned
You guys should really know better than to take Turok's impressions of players seriously.

He venerates Benzema ffs

LTWheels

New consoles brings the worse out of the gaming side. Can't stand 'console wars' stuff. Brings out the worst in everyone. If it wasn't for football gaf, I don't think I would really bother visiting here as much.

£60m pleas Arsene.

Turok_TTZ

And that's why your argument doesn't really hold much ground.

It's fine saying Alonso has shortcomings, most players do, but you're talking about Sahin like he's better than him without really knowing what it is he offers. Sahin's extremely limited, more so than Xabi, in my opinion, and I've seen both play for my club just like you have.

I think Sahin was just overhyped because of how well he gelled with his Dortmund teammates, and when he left he lost a lot of what made him special. He wasn't good enough to start as a deep playmaker for us, and we finished 7th in the league last season. He isn't good enough to start for Dortmund, as things stand, and he certainly wouldn't have been an improvement on Alonso at Madrid.

Disagree. I said I'm not sure on his weaknesses in that this guy has very few weaknesses. It's true that Sahin does require a dm partner but not because he needs protecting like Alonso does. It is because Sahin doesn't do all the dirty work cleaning up midfield and a dm makes it easier for Sahin to just worry about ball distribution. Sahin unlike Alonso can handle pressure. Sahin is also not afraid to make a risky pass, Something I haven't seen alonso do in a long time. Sure he is not physical, but players of his ilk do not need to be physical. He was as good a passer as alonso.

He wasn't good enough to be a dlp for liverpool? Who in Liverpool's squad is a dlp of similar quality to sahin? I can think of none. And iirc, Liverpool often played sahin out of position. Which sahin made quite clear when he left. I never rated Brendan Rodgers and Sahin only vindicated my view on him.

Klopp now has him back. Whether Sahin can recover remains to be seen but if he does. Madrid will rue the day we let him go. oh well. Just another addition to the long list of mistakes that we commit. I hope to god we don't mess up with isco and illarramendi like we did sahin. especially Illarramendi.

Disagree. I said I'm not sure on his weaknesses in that this guy has very few weaknesses. It's true that Sahin does require a dm partner but not because he needs protecting like Alonso does. It is because Sahin doesn't do all the dirty work cleaning up midfield and a dm makes it easier for Sahin to just worry about ball distribution. Sahin unlike Alonso can handle pressure. Sahin is also not afraid to make a risky pass, Something I haven't seen alonso do in a long time. Sure he is not physical, but players of his ilk do not need to be physical. He was as good a passer as alonso.

He wasn't good enough to be a dlp for liverpool? Who in Liverpool's squad is a dlp of similar quality to sahin? I can think of none. And iirc, Liverpool often played sahin out of position. Which sahin made quite clear when he left. I never rated Brendan Rodgers and Sahin only vindicated my view on him.

Klopp now has him back. Whether Sahin can recover remains to be seen but if he does. Madrid will rue the day we let him go. oh well. Just another addition to the long list of mistakes that we commit. I hope to god we don't mess up with isco and illarramendi like we did sahin. especially Illarramendi.

Sahin's performances were not good enough. Playing 5 yards out of position is no excuse for the lack of intensity, lack of effort, and lack of the bollocks required to try and influence games.

The way people go on about it, you'd think he played at right back for us. He played in midfield, in the position where players are supposed to get the most time on the ball, and he showed very, very little, to the point where any sane Liverpool preferred to see Allen, Henderson or Gerrard occupying his spot

Salvadora

Luis Suárez dilemma becomes more critical for Liverpool by the day
the chances of Liverpool escaping from the ongoing saga with Suárez as a motivated member of their playing squad are getting slimmer by the day; so too is the likelihood of the club ending up ahead of the game, with bargaining time – and quality replacements – fast running out.
With hindsight one may question whether the Liverpool management should have prepared for the sale of Suárez much earlier
in my opinion Suárez is among the top 10 players in the game – to a direct Premier League rival would not only be a massive blow to their prestige, but also practically forfeits any chance of fighting the London club for a Champions League spot.
While Spurs' hard-ball stance was eventually vindicated as they managed to receive a satisfactory amount for Modric from Real Madrid a year later, adapting a similar strategy to a fierce South American hell-bent on a move might prove very high risk (the way he forced his acrimonious move from Groningen to Ajax immediately springs to mind).
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jul/26/luis-suarez-liverpool-dilemma
Good article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom