• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
Why are people talking like Suarez would be the ONLY player we would sign? We would sign others. Suarez would just be the stellar signing while the others are more affordable.

I'm sceptical as to whether a top striker -- whether it be Rooney, Higuain or Suarez -- is the answer to Arsenal's inability to challenge for the title. The biggest thing we have lacked since our Highbury glory days are goal-scoring midfielders. Despite the evident technique and skill of Hleb, Nasri, Fabregas, Rosicky, Wilshere and more recently Santi Cazorla, they've never been goal-scorers for us.

On a personal note, I felt our possession retention last season suffered along with our creativity around the box. Put bluntly, we were boring to watch.

Taking into consideration that we still have question marks over our central defence partnership and a RB that desperately needs competition, a striker should be the least of our priorities. An Arsenal with RvP barely managed to finish fourth the season before last: what do we hope to gain by pursuing only Suarez?

WHAT?! How in the world Cesc isnt a goal-scoring midfielder mate?!

That's because we sold Cesc without getting any sort of replacement and had a defence that ran around like a headless chicken.

A top striker can only get you so far.

I love Koscielny but we still need a superstar defender

I'm sceptical as to whether a top striker -- whether it be Rooney, Higuain or Suarez -- is the answer to Arsenal's inability to challenge for the title. The biggest thing we have lacked since our Highbury glory days are goal-scoring midfielders. Despite the evident technique and skill of Hleb, Nasri, Fabregas, Rosicky, Wilshere and more recently Santi Cazorla, they've never been goal-scorers for us.

On a personal note, I felt our possession retention last season suffered along with our creativity around the box. Put bluntly, we were boring to watch.

Taking into consideration that we still have question marks over our central defence partnership and a RB that desperately needs competition, a striker should be the least of our priorities. An Arsenal with RvP barely managed to finish fourth the season before last: what do we hope to gain by pursuing only Suarez?

I think Arsenal needs a cunt in midfield. A cynical, antagonizing cunt that will rile up opposing players and inspire the team.

They should make a surprise sneak attack for DDR. He scores goals, too.

Why are people talking like Suarez would be the ONLY player we would sign? We would sign others. Suarez would just be the stellar signing while the others are more affordable.

Believe me, if Wenger paid £50m on Suarez he wont buy any other good players unless they are youth.

Salvadora

Suarez could end up costing us £50m + wages, Lightning.

We could potentially use us the majority of our nest egg on him.

bale77.jpg

I thought the issue with Arsenal is that Kroenke and Usmanov both have large stakes in the club and until one of them fucks off neither wants to invest shitloads of money into the team?

Meier

Are Seville shopping Geoffrey? Seems like more clubs--us included--are being linked with him.

I read about 4-6 weeks ago that he has a clause in his contract that makes him a pretty easy target for most anyone of note. It is related to his primarily third party ownership rights.

Salvadora

The next few years could be very much like supporting Arsenal if we're not careful.

In terms of unsuccessfulness, sure. But that's down to managerial choice more than anything else.
I thought the issue with Arsenal is that Kroenke and Usmanov both have large stakes in the club and until one of them fucks off neither wants to invest shitloads of money into the team?
Kroenke owns Arsenal and Nasri insinuated that it was him who dictated his sale.

Usmanov is a gangster who spent years in prison in the Soviet Union.

GQman2121

Banned
I read about 4-6 weeks ago that he has a clause in his contract that makes him a pretty easy target for most anyone of note. It is related to his primarily third party ownership rights.

I see. That's why so many blogs are running with it. His summer highlight reel is impressive enough.

What do you make of chelsea's signings so far? Enough?

Pleased so far. I think Rooney would round the squad out wonderfully. I hope we're strong enough at the back to withstand a long season. Some of the kids might have to fill in during some important games.

justjohn

I see. That's why so many blogs are running with it. His summer highlight reel is impressive enough.

Pleased so far. I think Rooney would round the squad out wonderfully. I hope we're strong enough at the back to withstand a long season. Some of the kids might have to fill in during some important games.
I still think we need a proper defender. Cahill really doesn't do it for me abd Terry isnt the same.

Plasma

Banned
I can't wait for the outcry once Arsenal don't sign anyone in the next 8 days then Higuain scores the winner for Napoli at the Emirates! Awesome.

I wonder if Sanogo will play at the Emirates Cup, it would be nice to have at least one new signing on show.

Henry Carson ‏@Schwantz72 1h
Lee Rigby's mum so moved by Rangers fans tribute she's asked for flag as a momento. Being sent to her. @SkyNews @STVNews @ScottishSun

Great news (if true)

To be honest I was a little worried the family would see it as point scoring after Celtic fans' supposed singing about him.

GQman2121

Banned
I still think we need a proper defender. Cahill really doesn't do it for me abd Terry isnt the same.

Gary suffers from inconsistency. I don't know if it's from lack of regular playing time or what, but he's had his moments both good and bad.

Terry is the one that needs to prove he's fit and ready to lead. Rafa had the nerve to bench him, and I think Mou has already spoken about no ones position being safe.

Lampard is already licking his wounds, so he'll likely not feature much to start the season.

I'm betting MvG & KDB play more of a role than most we're thinking they would. We could have a dynamic attack if Lukaku holds onto this preseason form into next month.

Salvadora

Mastadon

Banned
This guy talks alot of sense, Liverpool look a bit silly with the suarez business

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jul/26/luis-suarez-liverpool-dilemma

I don't see how? We've made it clear that we won't sell him unless our valuation is met, and we've stuck to that. We have no compunction to sell him, and certainly not to a rival. His valuation is unlikely to decrease by any appreciable distance in a years time, so keeping hold of him doesn't present any financial risk.

Also, once Bale signs his soul over to Darth Levy for another year, Perez will come knocking.

bobito

Banned
I don't see how? We've made it clear that we won't sell him unless our valuation is met, and we've stuck to that. We have no compunction to sell him, and certainly not to a rival. His valuation is unlikely to decrease by any appreciable distance in a years time, so keeping hold of him doesn't present any financial risk.

Yeah but he's the sort of guy who will pull a fit. I think if you'd made it clear to monaco, psg etc they would have bought him early in the transfer market.

Suarez staying at livepool is going to end in tears

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Bale to Levy, according to Marca:

"You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn't qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you'd listen to it. Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate".

"I'm not interested in Manchester United or any other club. I only want to play for Real Madrid

Modric to Levy, according to Marca:

"You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn't qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you'd listen to it.

"Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate. I'm not interested in Manchester United or any other club. I only want to play for Real Madrid."

Step yo game up, cunts. At least fabricate a new quote.

Arnie

This guy talks alot of sense, Liverpool look a bit silly with the suarez business

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...erpool-dilemma
:lol

Telling our best player with three years remaining on his recently signed contract that he can't do as he pleases doesn't make us look silly. Neither does not having a ready made replacement when, not two months ago he was declaring how happy he was to stay.

If Arsenal don't get this signing they will be the ones looking silly. And that should be worrying when the owner and the managing director and the manager have said that such a deal will not happen.

bobito

Banned
Bale to Levy, according to Marca:

Modric to Levy, according to Marca:

Step yo game up, cunts. At least fabricate a new quote.

I have no idea why people qoute marca lol

Telling our best player with three years remaining on his recently signed contract that he can't do as he pleases doesn't make us look silly. Neither does not having a ready made replacement when, not two months ago he was declaring how happy he was to stay.

If Arsenal don't get this signing they will be the ones looking silly. And that should be worrying when the owner and the managing director and the manager have said that such a deal will not happen.

You act like Suarez is a rational human being, he's the biggest moran in football ever.

He will push for this transfer all summer long and if he doesn't get it he will push for it during Christmas. I doubt you will get the bid you desire, he's too much of a liability for a large football club.

Mastadon

Banned
Yeah but he's the sort of guy who will pull a fit. I think if you'd made it clear to monaco, psg etc they would have bought him early in the transfer market.

Suarez staying at livepool is going to end in tears

But we don't want to sell him. The reason we didn't offer him to the petroclubs is because we want him to stay here. There was no sense or reason in us actively offering him to clubs.

And the guy talks about not expecting the offer, which is clearly not true. I think the issue is that we didn't expect the offer from Arsenal (and let's be fair - who did?)

justjohn

If Arsenal don't get this signing they William be the ones looking silly. And that should be worrying when the owner and the managing director and the manager have said that such a deal will not happen.
Spot on. Liverpool have more to lose selling him to arsenal whilst arsenal are the ones looking vulnerable if they dont get him.

bobito

Banned
Also Arnie Liverpool shouldn't be looking to sale suarez to the wenger, should have looked to the big boys. Could take a lesson from porto, they understand when to sale and do well from it.

How was Fabregas not a goal scoring midfielder?

WHAT?! How in the world Cesc isnt a goal-scoring midfielder mate?!

Fabregas was not a goal-scoring midfielder for us, at least in the league. Although he had the ability, he wasn't someone you'd expect to turn up on the scoresheet. Aside from the 2009-2010 season, his goal return was awful but it was the norm for our midfielders in general.

XAYXFja.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom