• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sane_Man

:lol

Telling our best player with three years remaining on his recently signed contract that he can't do as he pleases doesn't make us look silly. Neither does not having a ready made replacement when, not two months ago he was declaring how happy he was to stay.

If Arsenal don't get this signing they will be the ones looking silly. And that should be worrying when the owner and the managing director and the manager have said that such a deal will not happen.

Yes, I love everything about The Guardian except its trite sports section. It's just the typical London press trying to engineer an exciting player moving to one of their clubs. I don't see how Liverpool have handled this badly at all. We're perfectly within our rights to put a value on our star player and stick to that. I bet The Guardian didn't criticise Levy for doing the same thing when Modric wanted to move to Real.

Also Arnie Liverpool shouldn't be looking to sale suarez to the wenger, should have looked to the big boys. Could take a lesson from porto, they understand when to sale and do well from it.

They also play in a legue where stagnation means finishing second instead of first. If we want to move forwards, we have to try and keep our best players on the pitch, whether they want to be here or not

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Maybe Modric emailed Bale a script that was super effective against Levy.

Madrid used Marca Bullshit!

It's not very effective.

Levy used Give Us One More Year!

Bale was trapped by the Contract!

Madrid used Lowball.

It's not very effective.

Bale takes damage from the Contract!

Madrid used Pay The Fucking Money.

It's Super Effective!

Levy fainted!

Arnie

Spot on. Liverpool have more to lose selling him to arsenal whilst arsenal are the ones looking vulnerable if they dont get him.
Arsenal have all or nothing on this, but it's a deal that has to change so much from this current moment to even look like going ahead. Even if the valuations weren't wildly apart, there's still no indication that we would sell to them.

People keep talking like it's close, but in reality it isn't. I think if Real don't come for him we'll tell him he's staying.

bobito

Banned
Yes, I love everything about The Guardian except its trite sports section. It's just the typical London press trying to engineer an exciting player moving to one of their clubs. I don't see how Liverpool have handled this badly at all. We're perfectly within our rights to put a value on our star player and stick to that. I bet The Guardian didn't criticise Levy for doing the same thing when Modric wanted to move to Real.

Suarez is a toxic asset, while modric is a model professional, not comparable.

Arsenal have all or nothing on this, but it's a deal that has to change so much from this current moment to even look like going ahead. Even if the valuations weren't wildly apart, there's still no indication that we would sell to them.

People keep talking like it's close, but in reality it isn't. I think if Real don't come for him we'll tell him he's staying.

What is your valuation?

I don't think Real will come for him after the mourinho experience

What does that have to do with anything?

Players are commodities in the transfer window, unless Suarez has told us that he will refuse to play unless we sell him, he'll do as he's told until our valuation is met.

I'm trying to pick an English team, but I can't seem to find a single one in the PL that I don't dislike for some reason. It would have been Newcastle a season ago but now I feel like it'll just be depressing going for them

Sane_Man

Complete speculation. Most people accept that Suarez is a bit of a twat but he's always given 100% on the pitch. He's wound up for about three quarters of every game and his brilliance still shines through. I don't doubt that Suarez might bitch and moan if he doesn't get his move, but I still think he'd be an immense player for us because he's world class.

fuenf

holy shit, replaying MGS4 made me realize that MGS3 is far better than I thought it was. The MGS4 cut scenes are unbearable, I don't know why I loved 4 as much as I did in the first place.

bobito

Banned
What does that have to do with anything?

Players are commodities in the transfer window, unless Suarez has told us that he will refuse to play unless we sell him, he'll do as he's told until our valuation is met.

The longer he plays poorly due to being dissatisfied and the lower his price will fall. It would of been best if Liverpool acted rationally at the beginning of the transfer window and cut their losses. The idea a superstar is required to qualify of the champions league is proven nonsense by Arsenal vs Spurs. £50mil petro dollars could have helped Liverpool build a comparable squad to their rivals, however this is still lacking.

Complete speculation. Most people accept that Suarez is a bit of a twat but he's always given 100% on the pitch. He's wound up for about three quarters of every game and his brilliance still shines through. I don't doubt that Suarez might bitch and moan if he doesn't get his move, but I still think he'd be an immense player for us because he's world class.

Prudence is the appropriate principle for valuing assets, more so for fools. He is poison for liverpool football club and its brand.

spidye

holy shit, replaying MGS4 made me realize that MGS3 is far better than I thought it was. The MGS4 cut scenes are unbearable, I don't know why I loved 4 as much as I did in the first place.

run boy run

if bla reads this you have to forfeit your bayern card

Kenka

Basel slams Inter over Dragovic's failed deal:

12 Jul 2013 16:57:00

The Swiss official is perplexed as to why the Nerazzurri are taking so long to finalise the deal to sign the centre-back

Basel sporting director Georg Heitz has accused Inter of disrespecting the club following prolonged negotiations for defender Aleksandar Dragovic.

Both parties are believed to have thrashed out an €8 million (£6.9m) deal in principle for the 22-year-old, but the Nerazzurri are yet to finalise proceedings.

And, speaking to Basler Zeitung, Heitz believes the switch may have been completed by now if the Swiss club were of a larger stature within the game.

He said: "We have reached an agreement with Inter, now we just wait for them to finalise the deal.

"We have been waiting for days to complete the deal and we do not understand why they are behaving this way. Maybe because Basel is a small club?"

The Austria international, whose deal at St. Jakob Park runs until 2015, has made 66 appearances for the club throughout his three-year stay in Switzerland.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892...isrespectful-over-dragovic-claims-basel-chief

It seems Inter also lost the race to get Dragovic. He went to Kiev to sign a contract with Dynamo.

The longer he plays poorly due to being dissatisfied and the lower his price will fall. It would of been best if Liverpool acted rationally at the beginning of the transfer window and cut their losses. The idea a superstar is required to qualify of the champions league is proven nonsense by Arsenal vs Spurs. £50mil petro dollars could have helped Liverpool build a comparable squad to their rivals, however this is still lacking.

The more his value falls because of poor performances and he acts like a cunt, the less chance he has of Madrid going for him next summer. That's a pretty big carrot (insert donkey joke here)

Let me tell you as someone who watched every match last season, losing Suarez would be disastrous to our squad. And its much harder replacing world class players when you're already out of the CL running

fuenf

run boy run

if bla reads this you have to forfeit your bayern card

lol it was still an amazing experience when I played it, but now I cant help but shake my head at the Kojima-cheesiness. The first Raiden / Vamp battle, rofl.... I cant believe I ever thought it was cool.

New Miggy D article on Fabregas:

One thing is certain, and it is not even Barcelona’s apparently unequivocal stance on the issue: Manchester United have not yet given up in their pursuit of Cesc Fabregas. The saga is likely to go on.

In the hours after new Barca manager Gerardo Martino insisted the midfielder was not for sale, one high-ranking Old Trafford employee stated: “I know it doesn’t sound good but we still believe it can happen.”

Yet, whatever about the kind of money that may actually be required to make the Catalans change their position, there is an argument that United can’t afford to let this one - or at least a bid for a similar alternative - slip.

The outcome of United’s pursuit of an elite midfielder will not just set the tone for the new regime at the club, it will reveal so much about their ability to compete at that kind of super-club level.

The Cesc saga will illustrate, however, the exact scale of that ambition. In that, Woodward has significantly raised the stakes for both himself and Moyes.

Yet, as lofty as all that may seem, none of it is without some grounding in reality.

Fabregas’s camp have been in repeated contact with Old Trafford since at least mid-May and virtually all of those discussions have been positive. This explains United’s persistence in the face of successive refusals and even an element of ridicule.

Elsewhere, there have even been conflicting reports that Fabregas has been telling people - both in his personal circles and in the media - that he wants to join the English champions, but also that he’s been saying he’ll only go back to Arsenal and is considering a return. At the moment, though, there is no indication that a return to the Emirates is on the cards.

For all that Barca publicly maintain the midfielder is not for sale, their private stance is understood to be more open. Similarly, it is a simple fact of both football and economics that every player has a price.

That price, however, is unlikely to be around £35m. It might be enough were Fabregas’s mild issues at Camp Nou more exaggerated but, as it stands, United are not exactly in the position to be too mindful about a fair price. Instead, given their dire need for such a midfielder, as well the lack of any real Barca requirement to sell, it should be up to the English side to drive things.

From the start, it has always felt like it was going to take around £40m to buy a high-quality player in that particular situation who is also coming into his prime. Even if that is not what Fabregas would command in an open market, it is the kind of premium that the likes of Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Manchester City routinely play just to get deals done quickly. It is, in short, an increasing trait of the super-clubs. And it is an important one if you no longer, well, have one of the super managers.

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/Cesc-United.aspx

Ushojax

MGS4 is one of the worst 'AAA' games of all time. You get 90 minutes of serviceable action gameplay and 7 hours of cutscenes where Kojima pisses all over his own franchise.

Then there's the loading. DEAR GOD THE LOADING.

spidye

lol it was still an amazing experience when I played it, but now I cant help but shake my head at the Kojima-cheesiness. The first Raiden / Vamp battle, rofl.... I cant believe I ever thought it was cool.

welp just let me say that I'm not far off from your opinion

Prudence is the appropriate principle for valuing assets, more so for fools. He is poison for liverpool football club and its brand.

Among other fans? Sure. Is it embarassing having him fuck about, acting shamefully and requiring the club to act in kind to keep him happy? Sure. Does it have a significantly negative financial impact on our global brand? Doubt it.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have him unghappily playing for us, than have £40m and play against him

bobito

Banned
The more his value falls because of poor performances and he acts like a cunt, the less chance he has of Madrid going for him next summer. That's a pretty big carrot (insert donkey joke here)

Let me tell you as someone who watched every match last season, losing Suarez would be disastrous to our squad. And its much harder replacing world class players when you're already out of the CL running

I guess this depends if suarez is stupid enough to believe madrid is an option.Best on past experience you may be correct

Among other fans? Sure. It is embarassing having him fuck about, acting shamefully and requiring the club to act in kind to keep him happy? Sure. Does it have a significantly negative financial impact on our global brand? Doubt it.

I would be very surprised if suarez hasn't had a significant impact on the amount of fans choosing to support liverpool. While it is hardly unrealistic to suggest some current fans have become disinfranchised by the suarez experience. While I have no facts to show you, I think you would agree my logic is sound.

fuenf

MGS4 is one of the worst 'AAA' games of all time. You get 90 minutes of serviceable action gameplay and 7 hours of cutscenes where Kojima pisses all over his own franchise.

Then there's the loading. DEAR GOD THE LOADING.

The loading is okay if you are doing a full install. I'm conflicted initially it was great to play MGS4 again the actual gameplay is much better than 3, but story-wise? It's just sad.

Now I fear for MGS 5 :(

I guess this depends if suarez is stupid enough to believe madrid is an option.Best on past experience you may be correct

If he has another season like he did last year and cuts out the cuntish actions which get him banned for 8+ games at a time, why not?

It'd affirm his world class status, playing in a position in which Madrid are particularly underwhelming imo. And hey, since when have Madrid ever been put off by a player being a cunt?

jtb

Banned
so who are Madrid in for now that they've sold off Higuain? I imagine some kind of Suarez bid is inevitable at this point.

He's basically saying United have to stop putting in stupid bids and pay the going rate for a top class midfielder.

Tbh I can't see that happening. We seem to be stuck in the old way of doing business. These days it's about using your financial muscle to the fullest.

We don't seem to be interested in doing that.

It seems utterly obvious to me that anything under ~£45 million won't cut it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
this Fabregas nonsense needs to stop, it feels like some Moyes obsession now

Bumhead

Banned
Really great post on our forum from today, if people want to read. A Wednesday lad was at Anfield today doing an installation for some new gear, and brought with him a Wednesday shirt signed by members of our fans forum in respect of the 96. Apparently the family of Anne Williams was there and seemed to really appreciate the gesture.

My names on there too, although under a different username.

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/198193-anfield-bound/?p=4665898

photo9_zpsbea02908.jpg

photo12_zps339a042c.jpg

I would be very surprised if suarez hasn't had a significant impact on the amount of fans choosing to support liverpool. While it is hardly unrealistic to suggest some current fans have become disinfranchised by the suarez experience. While I have no facts to show you, I think you would agree my logic is sound.

Either way, he's here now. Can't see it making too much of a difference for prospective fans whether he's here for 2 and a half years, or 3 and a half.

@Bumhead, umm, Anne Williams died earlier this year. Are you sure that's not old?

edit 2: Wait, did you correct it?

Ushojax

so who are Madrid in for now that they've sold off Higuain? I imagine some kind of Suarez bid is inevitable at this point.

Ibra? There were some mutterings about that.

There aren't really anymore 'galactico' type players available anymore. I guess they could try for Rooney?

Turok_TTZ

besides kondogbia. I think we're done for this summer. ofc we will try for bale and fail hopefully. but other than that madrid should be closing up shop. unless we sell coentrao then we go sign a backup lb.

bobito

Banned
If he has another season like he did last year and cuts out the cuntish actions which get him banned for 8+ games at a time, why not?

It'd affirm his world class status, playing in a position in which Madrid are particularly underwhelming imo. And hey, since when have Madrid ever been put off by a player being a cunt?

I believe post Mourinho they are keen to avoid such a situation. Indeed, when you are the most powerful football club who clearly values their brand above most over factors there is little reason to consider a bid.

Their is little difference between bale and suarez in quality, yet madrid favour bale obviosuly so much more. If you ignore the player's personalities and reputation this is nonsensical given bale and ronaldo's similarity. However surez failings as a human being i imagine are what hold him back and always will from joining real.

Either way, he's here now. Can't see it making too much of a difference for prospective fans whether he's here for 2 and a half years, or 3 and a half.

@Bumhead, umm, Anne Williams died earlier this year. Are you sure that's not old?

edit 2: Wait, did you correct it?

I would disagree, Liverpool are the only club my mum has ever gone out to criticize as a relative non fan of football. As an institution they went over that threshold and are synonymous with controversy.

Clegg

It seems utterly obvious to me that anything under ~£45 million won't cut it.

If we really have as much money as the Times say we do then I can't see why we're only increasing the fee by smallish increments.

It's probably because we don't want to be seen to be caving in to the demands of the selling club. I know some United fans think this is the right way to do business. Being strong to your principles etc. But we can't keep doing this and expect to keep challenging for titles. There is an obvious quality gap in our side. Everyone and their dog knows we need decent midfielders. Just spend whatever is needed to improve the team. If it wins us trophies then that signing will repay itself over time.

The big clubs are willing to spend what's necessary to fill gaps in their team. Madrid spent €38m on a 22 year old from Sociedad ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom