• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Benitez failing at Napoli after spending shitloads is going to be good to see.

37m euros on Higuain. LOL.

they just sold off their top player for a shitton of money. of course he was going to spend it.

Ibra? There were some mutterings about that.

There aren't really anymore 'galactico' type players available anymore. I guess they could try for Rooney?

yeah, I'm surprised no one's in for Rooney besides Chelsea. at the very least, he'd sell a few shirts, right?

More RAM = better games.

3.5GB reserved for the OS is a joke.

Yep. Honestly not sure how that can be justified if its true. It'd reek of Sony putting more RAM in than they know what to do with, and artificially limiting the amount available to the devs by forcing most of it to be used on a pointlessly inflated OS

I only just learned about Fridayton MK2. I thought this morning it seemed like there was absolutely nothing wrong and suddenly it's "only" 5.5GB RAM available.

Hm. Seems a crazy amount to use for the OS, but the thing is that 90% of the potential customers won't know or care, and the other 9.9% will still buy it once they get over it.

Hm. Seems a crazy amount to use for the OS, but the thing is that 90% of the potential customers won't know or care, and the other 9.9% will still buy it once they get over it.

And the other .1% is that knobend trying to convince everyone that he's so angry he cancelled his preorder

@Mad Bowser, I'm the only one who's allwed to call brokenbeans a mug. Step off, bitch.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
indeed. What happened to the arsenal interest for rooney anyways? the interest was never real?

I think they went cold after Chelsea stepped in. Nobody can compete with them for a player, we all know Rooney will join them.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
indeed. What happened to the arsenal interest for rooney anyways? the interest was never real?

We arent selling, we dont need to and he isnt worth the price it would take to get him, United would only sell foreign and only for silly money. He doesnt want to go abroad either.

hes fucked

jtb

Banned
Please explain why, apart from more is better? They can reduce the 3.5GB footprint, yeah it's much but it doesnt really change anything about the PS4.

4gb is already a pretty small amount, by today's standards. just look at last/current gen consoles; limited RAM is a huge bottleneck. especially if all these next-gen games are going to have open-world emphasis, then that's going to start biting pretty soon. basically these consoles are going to be dated in a year or two already; and for what, fucking Kinect and fancy overlays? so I can understand it (even though it's not exactly surprising—the OS was obviously going to use some RAM).

just look at the current generation of consoles. Epic singlehandedly got MS to double the RAM in the 360 in order to get Gears of War to run on it. New Vegas (the town) is broken up into like 5 shitty, tiny segments because of console RAM limitations, etc.

4gb is already a pretty small amount, by today's standards. just look at last/current gen consoles; limited RAM is a huge bottleneck. especially if all these next-gen games are going to have open-world emphasis, then that's going to start biting pretty soon. basically these consoles are going to be dated in a year or two already; and for what, fucking Kinect and fancy overlays? so I can understand it (even though it's not exactly surprising—the OS was obviously going to use some RAM).

just look at the current generation of consoles. Epic singlehandedly got MS to double the RAM in the 360 in order to get Gears of War to run on it. New Vegas (the town) is broken up into like 5 shitty, tiny segments because of console RAM limitations, etc.

So GTAVI is already disappointing before V even comes out

FUCK

fuenf

It enables better games, plain and simple.

They can reduce the 3.5GB footprint over time, sure. And I hope they do.

I don't believe so.

Better games or better results for lazy un-optimised programming?

Given that it is unified I agree that 5.5 isnt THAT much, but it's about par for the course. Look most multiplattform titles will be optimised for 5gb anyway and the first partys should have no trouble working around it.

So does the Xbone now have better graphics than the PS4?

No because the PS4 GPU is more powerful and that is far, far more important where graphics are concerned.

It enables better games, plain and simple.

Yes and no. Fact is, only people who get near 5-6GB RAM use in PC gaming currently are the mentalist running things at 4k resolutions with shit-tonnes of AA. And that's with games like Skyrim.

what does that even change? who cares about the amount of RAM available?

Developers... And gamers even if they don't know, to little ram is such a bottleneck.

I haven't even read up on this today, but if that is true the next gen consoles can both fuck off for all I care.. So get them years down the line if there's any good games on them and otherwise stick with pc. What are you going to do with all that os ram Sony... Jesus.

Salvadora

Better games or better results for lazy un-optimised programming?

Given that it is unified I agree that 5.5 isnt THAT much, but it's about par for the course. Look most multiplattform titles will be optimised for 5gb anyway and the first partys should have no trouble working around it.

As jtb said, limited RAM was a huge bottleneck for the majority of developers this generation. The PS4 genuinely astounded people when Sony came out about the system RAM. Now it looks a lot less impressive.

Stop thinking about the now, and wonder about how developers will fair half a decade into their life cycles.
Yes and no. Fact is, only people who get near 5-6GB RAM use in PC gaming currently are the mentalist running things at 4k resolutions with shit-tonnes of AA. And that's with games like Skyrim.
Yes, and that's because modern video games are designed around the archaic Sony & Microsoft machines.

fuenf

They are already out dated and were never going to be state of the art to begin with. Personally I don't care about the social bullshit or recording features either, but tbh I see how that's a way to differentiate a console from all the Ipad-Smart TV-casual shit. I wouldnt worry about open world games that much tho, the difference 5.5gb und 256 is huge, you shouldnt forget that for the most part Bethesda games are simply unoptimised shit.

Meier

So this might be my new favorite gif ever.

loves%20to%20rake.gif

LTWheels

It's a weird little thing.

4.5GB guaranteed for games. Can be increased to 5.5GB based on availability from the OS. The eurogamer article says increasing it to 5.5GB is not trivial and they expect at the beginning only 1st party games will be able to use this extra 1GB.

As jtb said, limited RAM was a huge bottleneck for the majority of developers this generation. The PS4 genuinely astounded people when Sony came out about the system RAM. Now it looks a lot less impressive.

Stop thinking about the now, and wonder about how developers will fair half a decade into their life cycles.

Yes, and that's because modern video games are designed around the archaic Sony & Microsoft machines.

Ok but you've got machines running games at 1080p with assets designed for it and using PPAA. It'll take them a while to hit 5GB use on that basis. RAM should be the least of these consoles' worries. You should be so much more worried about their GPUs and CPUs. That's where the low-balling is really happening.

Salvadora

Ok but you've got machines running games at 1080p with assets designed for it and using PPAA. It'll take them a while to hit 5GB use on that basis. RAM should be the least of these consoles' worries. You should be so much more worried about their GPUs and CPUs. That's where the low-balling is really happening.
I'm worried about it all Laboured.

This is just a major disappointment, that's all.
I played the best games ever on the ps1, ps2 and on a pc with not even one tenth of that ram
I'm not following you.

Infamous and Destiny will be good
The Order should be good
WatchDogs might be good
Battlefield should be okay

Aside from that...

Infamous has and always will be average at best series. Destiny? Looks alright, but console fps. Don't even remember what the order is, could a more generic title name be made? Watch dogs hype already went away for me again after sing more game play... Battlefield? Whatever, will play on pc if any good and they don't try to CODify it again. FPS with a controller is like shaving with a spoon.

The sad reality is the only thing I would really want is new fifa if it's any good.

Feorax

Some rumours that the Times are running with a story that we've told Arsenal we won't be selling to a rival club at any price.

I hope Suarez has been consulted and agreed to this otherwise shit is about to get real nasty.

The Order looks cool, but that's probably just cos I like games set in Landan.
Ryse looks kind of shit but has a cool concept too.

I like what some call interactive movies like heavy rain and twd, but Ryse makes me nausea just looking at it. Crytek those cunts haven't made a good game since the first crisis.

GorillaJu

I don't know enough about computer architecture to comprehend the ins and outs, but a friend of mine who is a brilliant programmer has been saying since the reveal that the ram thing has been way overhyped, and that video memory is just being used as a marketing gimmick to sell more expensive hardware, and that video memory isn't a bottleneck in modern hardware.

5gb being available doesn't sound like it'll change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom