• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigger_office_hug.gif

ifMuXJQruPzrO.gif

Wilbur

Banned
How many discs does the Deadwood boxset consist of, not counting extras and stuff like that? Gonna try using my Mum's Lovefilm account

Think it's three discs to each season, so 9 in all? Might be four to each season.

Well worth it though baby. It's fucking good as anal with Ivanovic

Wilbur

Banned
Since when did United openly talk about transfers like this?

Frogson did the same with Kagawa, Hazard etc if I'm not mistaken. Different is Fergie would kinda word it like Pep did with Thiago last time, a tad more persuasive. Moyes doesn't seem to. Fabregas might have the choice between him and Wenger.

Manager

After initial press adding millions here and there to the transfer fees, the actual numbers most press nowdays seem to agree on is:
Navas £14.9m + £3m bonuses
Fernandinho: £30m
Negredo £16.4m + £4.2m bonuses (DM claim: £0.85m CL win, £0.5m PL win, £0.25m CL qualification)
Jovetic £22.4m + £3.4m bonuses

The first 3 are reported to all be on ~£75k/week, Jovetic salary might be a bit more. This is the biggest difference, the salaries. City has unloaded:
Tevez ~£180k
Santa Cruz ~£90k
Maicon ~£90k
Bridge ~£85k
Toure ~£85k
(Balotelli in January ~£140k)

So at least a lot of wages saved. Balotelli and Tevez alone weighs up the new salaries.

Clegg

I don't remember this thread having so many new fickle Muppets last summer :(

Stop getting so get up about the Utd rumours. Papers make up shit. I doubt 90% of our supposed bids or 'almost dones' were even remotely legitimate.
Tbf Moyes has been quoted speaking about our interest in Fabregas.

It looks like we're interested in him.

Kenka

CL draw (3rd qualification round) is in an hour. PSV can draw the following opponents:

PAOK Saloniki
Red Bull Salzburg
FC Nordsjaelland
Grasshoppers
Zulte Waregem

Grasshoppers or Zulte Waregem should be easy to beat. PAOK is probably the worst, I hate greek atmosphere.
Grasshoppers and Zulte have actually showed good skill last year.
But they should be no match for PSV. I see PSV go through if drawn against any of these two but not by a 3-goal advantage on agg.

I personally would love a Grasshoppers-Fener draw so that UEFA requalifies the Swiss after they eventually decide to kick Fener out for good.

Also, give me Basel - Molde anew. Can't wait to erase that smile from Solskjaer's face.

Wilbur

Banned
After initial press adding millions here and there to the transfer fees, the actual numbers most press nowdays seem to agree on is:
Navas £14.9m + £3m bonuses
Fernandinho: £30m
Negredo £16.4m + £4.2m bonuses (DM claim: £0.85m CL win, £0.5m PL win, £0.25m CL qualification)
Jovetic £22.4m + £3.4m bonuses

The first 3 are reported to all be on ~£75k/week, Jovetic salary might be a bit more. This is the biggest difference, the salaries. City has unloaded:
Tevez ~£180k
Santa Cruz ~£90k
Maicon ~£90k
Bridge ~£85k
Toure ~£85k
(Balotelli in January ~£140k)

So at least a lot of wages saved. Balotelli and Tevez alone weighs up the new salaries.

I think City's transfer business has been really good this summer, regardless of the teasing I've given DC :lol. Addressed the major flaws in their side - drive in their passive midfield when Toure can't be fucked, width, a striker lacking the all round play of Tevez/Aguero but with a more definite goal threat, and a real number ten to take some pressure off Silva. All on relatively small wages (still balk a tad at the Ferna amount though)

Good stuff, City.

Manager

_MG_9855.ashx

Joining the pre-season tour asap. The squad will be in SA for a couple more days and then go to Hong Kong, where Silva and Navas will join up.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
One wonders, people using kickstarter and indigogo to fund movies, music and games, surely its only a matter of time before we start crowd funding transfers. Would be pretty hilarious if some rich fans of small clubs could buff 100m for stars to come for them.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
How the hell is this even possible
KuGsj.gif

Distribution of UEFA's Prize money in UCL & Europa League for 12/13. Juve & Fenerbache are in #1 for UCL & EL http://

LW36uQ2.jpg

The €65,315,000 that Juve have gotten from UCL is a new record and it's enough to surpass Chelsea's record in 11/12 ( €63m)

Wilbur

Banned
Will City play with Negredo up front and Aguero just behind?

I would have assumed Negredo on the bench and Aguero up front when Navas plays, then Aguero or Jovetic wide when Negredo does.

Have to assume Dzeko might be off with Guidetti around.

Manager

I think City's transfer business has been really good this summer, regardless of the teasing I've given DC :lol. Addressed the major flaws in their side - drive in their passive midfield when Toure can't be fucked, width, a striker lacking the all round play of Tevez/Aguero but with a more definite goal threat, and a real number ten to take some pressure off Silva. All on relatively small wages (still balk a tad at the Ferna amount though)

Good stuff, City.

Completely agree. I do wonder how many of these were Pellegrinis signings though. Navas claims he started to talk to City months ago, and Mancini says he requested Fernandinho months ago as well. Jovetic has been followed by City for years. But, I bet City follows tons of players and it's very easy for Mancini to say "I wanted that guy".

The biggest difference is that Mancini claim that Cavani was more or less nailed for a City transfer this summer. The times of making such insane transfers might be over though, and stuff like that might be where Txiki/Soriano and Mancini disagreed on. Mancini says they "didn't speak the same language".

Anyway, good times. City fans has cried for a winger for years, even more so when SWP and Johnson left. Now they got two who are just below world class.

All in all, no matther whoever sanctioned this signings they all seems to patch up the things needed to evolve the squad for next season. Every one of them.

Kenka

KuGsj.gif

Le cifre relative alla stagione 2012-2013 non sono state ancora ufficializzate dall’Uefa (lo farà al sorteggio per le prossime competizioni europee), ma la ‘Gazzetta’ le anticipa, con dati incoraggianti per le italiane:: 65.315.000 per la Juve, 51.357.000 per il Milan. Al Bayern campione 55, al Borussia sconfitto 54,2, alle semifinaliste 48,4 (Real) e 45,5 (Barcellona). Juve e Milan gioiscono, grazie al market pool, ma che cos’è?
http://juvemania.it/champions-league-2012-1023-la-juventus-ha-incassato-74-milioni-di-euro/
You almost got me Gazzetta.
That's because of the market pool in each country. When it comes to Italy we had only two teams sharing a pretty big market pool, while in Spain and England they had four teams sharing it.
Indeed, Udine got kicked out. But I didn't it would make that much of a difference. Holy stark.

KuGsj.gif

LW36uQ2.jpg

TV rights. Usually, the italian teams earn less because there are three Italian sides in the CL - last year there were Juve, Milan and Udinese. With Udinese being out in August, Juve and Milan were the only two teams left and took the entire TV rights prize and divided it between them in May-June.

Edit: that's (the TV rights stuff) is what I read yesterday evening.

Manager

I would have assumed Negredo on the bench and Aguero up front when Navas plays, then Aguero or Jovetic wide when Negredo does.

Have to assume Dzeko might be off with Guidetti around.

Guidetti is still injured for 6 weeks or so at least, then you got to take to account that he hasn't played for over a year. He's probably not an option for several months.

Aguero is really needed at the top, I'm not sure if he'll ever play wide. Jovetic has played both as lone striker, left winger and second striker at Fiorentina so he might be anywhere.

Guess:
Fernandinho - Yaya Toure
Navas - Silva - Jovetic
Aguero

Whenever Navas, Silva or Jovetic are unavailable, Negredo/Dzeko might join Aguero as more of a 4-4-2:ish (or 2-3-1 with Negredo being more offensive SS. He played a lot as lone striker at Sevilla).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Guess:
Fernandinho - Yaya Toure
Navas - Silva - Jovetic
Aguero

That looks good. Really, really good. All of last season's top 5 are going to have exciting teams next season.

If Chelsea get Rooney, Arsenal get Suarez and Spurs get Soldado....shit's going to be crazy.

City going all out on these scrubs

why cant we sign scrubs

oh wait, Garay.

Hmm. Hardly scrubs. Balotelli and Tevez were more talented but for whatever reason (press nonsense, questionable temperament), they couldn't be consistent in that environment. Jovetic and Navas are reliable quality and any one of them is a huge upgrade on the likes of Nasri. Negredo is reliable backup up front. Fernandinho is an upgrade on Barry. Whether they win trophies depends on the mentality of the core players (Toure, Silva, Aguero, Kompany, etc.) and the tactics. Maybe their first XI isn't much stronger but I feel like they're definitely a stronger squad now with a smarter manager.

Honestly, I'm not all that worried about Chelsea, especially if Jose settles for Higuain.

Carbonox

That looks good. Really, really good. All of last season's top 5 are going to have exciting teams next season.

If Chelsea get Rooney, Arsenal get Suarez and Spurs get Soldado....shit's going to be crazy.

So far only Chelsea and Man City have new and exciting squads. Arsenal, Spurs (outside of Paulinho) and Man Utd have done fuck all yet.

Obviously this will - at least you hope - change but right now I'm more excited to see Chelsea and Man City in action. Not to mention the added incentive of new managers there (not dissing on Moyes).

It's between those two for the title IMO.

Manager

Hmm. Hardly scrubs. Balotelli and Tevez were more talented but for whatever reason (press nonsense, questionable temperament), they couldn't be consistent in that environment. Jovetic and Navas are reliable quality and any one of them is a huge upgrade on the likes of Nasri. Again, Negredo is reliable backup up front. Fernandinho is an upgrade on Barry. Whether they win trophies depends on the mentality of the core players (Toure, Silva, Aguero, Kompany, etc.) and the tactics. Maybe their first XI isn't stronger but I feel like they're a stronger squad now with a smarter manager.

Honestly, I'm not all that worried about Chelsea, especially if Jose settles for Higuain.

It's just as simple as Balotelli and Tevez never were able to cope with rotation, or jump in as subs and fight. They both sulked as hell when they came on, and when they didn't play several matches in a row they complained.

Jovetic can jump in as winger and will get playing time, Negredo seems determined and mature and doesn't seem to be the sulky type, but Aguero will need to be rested so it might not be a problem anyway.

Dzeko is another matter, not sure what plans they have for him...

pappe

Chelsea:

------Lamps---Luiz--
oscar-----Mata----- Hazard
--------Rooney----

subs: Schurle, De Bruyn , Essien,

Arsenal:

-----Arteta---Wishere---
Walcott---Cazorla-----Podolski
------------Suarez-------

subs: Giroud, ramsey, Chamberlain,Rosicky

City:

----Ferna----Yaya----
Navas----jovetic------Silva
----------Aguero------

subs; Nasri, bary, Milner, Negredo, rodwell.

Spurs:

---------Sandro---------
-----Paul--------dembele----
Lennon-------------------------Bale
-------------Soldado----------

subs: gylfi, holtby, defoe, Ade

United

--------Carrick---Giggs-------
Zaha-------Anderson----------Kagawa
--------------RVP---------

subs: Cleverly, Valencia

:'(

Baloteli and Tevez were fine. And Mario proved it, domestically and internationally.

It was Mancini, the clown.

Tevez is legitimately a bit mental but yeah, it's so much clearer with Balotelli. And not just mismanaged by Mancini. The way certain English pundits were talking about him, you would have thought he was Lucifer incarnate.

qindarka

Banned
you will play Essien and Lamps as Cm then?

If there are no new arrivals and we continue playing 4-2-3-1, I'd start with Mikel and Ramires. Isn't ideal but probably our best option at the moment.

Lampard is 35 and doesn't hold the midfield all that well. Still very good at finding the net though.
Essien is a shadow of his former self, albeit I haven't been following his performances at Madrid where I understand he was used mostly as a bandaid.
Van Ginkel is young, only proven in an inferior league, and probably not ready to start for us yet.
Ramires can't pass and doesn't fit well in this formation.
Mikel is our only proper defensive midfielder and must start.

Midfield is still a real mess. At least there will be more depth this season if nothing else so Luiz never has to play there again. This Van Ginkel kid had better be good. And there is always foolish hope that Essien can rediscover his previous form.

Luiz is our best defender anyway so putting him in midfield wouldn't be ideal even if he were any good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom