• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
He isn't though. Name actual top class Brazilians to have come out of Portugal.

What does the quality of the players have to do with anything? Lots of Brazilian players move to Portugal. That most of them never make it as top players means nothing.

He isn't though. Name actual top class Brazilians to have come out of Portugal.

I'd say South Americans more than Brazil. Hulk, Falcao, James to name but 3, from Porto alone in the last 24 months. Its Porto's entire modus operandi. Buy players from South America, develop them as they excel, sell them for a massive profit.

What does the quality of the players have to do with anything? Lots of Brazilian players move to Portugal. That most of them never make it as top players means nothing.

The point is that Portugal gets all the second rate Brazilian talent and the best move to the big leagues.

The only reason you think no young Brazilian would choose an English team over a Portuguese one is because Portugal is littered with second-rate Brazilian "talents".

GorillaJu

Hitcher's being a debbie downer. We've done good business this season by (so far), keeping our best players Agger, Suarez and Coutinho, we're adding depth to areas that need it with Aspas and Toure, we've upgraded on our goalkeeper with Mignolet, and we've upgraded our midfield backup with Luis Alberto.

There's still work to be done, but I think Liverpool are doing the best transfer business in the PL this year so far, though to be fair Spurs, City, Southampton and Norwich have all been progressive spenders.

I'd say South Americans more than Brazil. Hulk, Falcao, James to name but 3, from Porto alone in the last 24 months. Its Porto's entire modus operandi. Buy players from South America, develop them as they excel, sell them for a massive profit.

Falcao and Deco are the only truly world class South American footballers to have come out of Brazil via the shitbag Portuguese league that no player in their right mind would want to play in.

James is good but not anything too special and Hulk is so overrated it's unreal, probably because he's called Hulk.

Arnie

Liverpool have managed to sabotage Arsenal's summer whilst strengthening their squad.

Ian Ayre comes off looking like a pro compared to Ivan and Ed

To be fair you sabotaged your own summer by not listening to Ian Ayre.

8dhb.jpg

Ian_Ayre_Potter.jpg

index.php

Whoever said they can't think of two worse clubs than Madrid and Barcelona:

CELTIC AND RANGERS

Two clubs who only exist to antagonise each other because of some dumb religious hatred

Just because a couple... some... maybe quite a few fans hijack the clubs for political reasons :p

A good thing about the whole Rangers situation is that there's a decent group of our fans now that at least claim to want nothing to do with Celtic, and I'd imagine there's some Celtic fans that are adamant that the club is dead. That's at least a few less arrests every old firm game... lol who am I kidding.

HEY don't hate on Celtic!

Yurt y. Y.

Hitcher's being a debbie downer. We've done good business this season by (so far), keeping our best players Agger, Suarez and Coutinho, we're adding depth to areas that need it with Aspas and Toure, we've upgraded on our goalkeeper with Mignolet, and we've upgraded our midfield backup with Luis Alberto.

There's still work to be done, but I think Liverpool are doing the best transfer business in the PL this year so far, though to be fair Spurs, City, Southampton and Norwich have all been progressive spenders.

Toure: No added depth, replaced a departure
Agger: Nobody trying to buy him, no extension
Coutinho: Same
Suarez: Could backfire
Aspas: Unknown quantity
Alberto: Same, probably not ready yet, may get in the way of Texeira and necessitated Suso going on loan
Mignolet: Personally didn't see the need to upgrade, would have preferred to spend £4m or so on a 2nd choice keeper

How's that for being a Debbie Downer :p

Bring in Alpha Papa or Illori, a backup LB and new winger, then I'll be happy :D

i told you Bernard would move to Porto as soon as they showed interest.

we and Porto are essentially the middle man between South American talent and the bigger leagues.

playing for us or them is guaranteed CL football. plus, the weather is nice, language is similar, pay is not that bad.

K1LLER7

R.Calderon on Bale + Ronaldo.

Calderon expects the deal to go through this summer and says Bale’s impending arrival at the Bernabeu is designed to appease fans in case Ronaldo decides not to renew his contract.

Ronaldo has been linked with a sensational return to Manchester United, and Calderon says there is a real possibility the 27-year-old could be on the move if he doesn't lower his wage demands.

"I know that he is not happy at all with the attitude and behaviour of the president. He is asking for €20million net every season which is going to be difficult for Real to accept," he told talkSPORT's Drive Time show:

“I think the president has all his eggs on the table just in case he can’t get the renewal of Cristiano. That is my impression.

“He’s afraid at some moment that Cristiano will say, ‘I am not going to go on’. That will be bad news for Madrid. I would like to see him retire at Real but now the situation is difficult. Let's see in the next weeks or months if it can be sorted out and he can stay.”

LegoArmo

Yurt is a good man.

As far as a lot of Celtic fans are concerned, Rangers don't exist any more. And as a club, Celtic never had any of the policies that Rangers had regarding Catholic players. You can't control what a few idiot fans do.

The first Old Firm game back though will be... scary, there'll have to be some serious police presence.

Wilbur

Banned
Pellegrini looks like Wenger's died and been exhumed four months later. AVB and Mou look swag. Moyes looks like a bricklayer going for a job interview as an IT technician, and B-Rod looks like a murderer in a suburban town.

Toure: No added depth, replaced a departure
Agger: Nobody trying to buy him, no extension
Coutinho: Same
Suarez: Could backfire
Aspas: Unknown quantity
Alberto: Same, probably not ready yet, may get in the way of Texeira and necessitated Suso going on loan
Mignolet: Personally didn't see the need to upgrade, would have preferred to spend £4m or so on a 2nd choice keeper

How's that for being a Debbie Downer :p

Bring in Alpha Papa or Illori, a backup LB and new winger, then I'll be happy :D

Wow, you're a bit sad. Worse than the Arsenal and Newcastle fans on here.

Fergie

Banned
Shit, gonna have to leave Virgin soon, the talks aren't even on. With BT improving their broadband, I hope Virgin starts losing customers, utter shit of a company.

Wilbur

Banned
Four Four Two's predictions:

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. United
4. Arsenal
5. Spurs
6. Liverpool
7. Swansea
8. West Ham
9. Southampton
10. Everton
11. Villa
12. West Brom
13. Newcastle
14. Fulham
15. Norwich
16. Cardiff
17. Stoke
18. Sunderland
19. Hull
20. Palace

L1NETT

I'm a footballing pessimist. Forever and always. Stoke could well surprise us, I'm petrified of the new season

I hope the only surprise for them is that they come second bottom instead of bottom.

---

3 days until the new season. Booyah. 12,750 season tickets sold, exciting times.

---

I agree more or less with those ff2 predictions, especially on the top 4. Move Sunderland higher and put Stoke in the bottom 3. Can't see Villa getting that high either.

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. United
4. Arsenal
5. Spurs
6. Liverpool
7. Swansea
8. West Ham
9. Southampton
10. Everton
11. Villa
12. West Brom
13. Newcastle
14. Fulham
15. Norwich
16. Cardiff
17. Stoke
18. Sunderland
19. Hull
20. Palace

Swap West Ham and Everton

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. United
4. Arsenal
5. Spurs
6. Liverpool
7. Swansea
8. West Ham
9. Southampton
10. Everton
11. Villa
12. West Brom
13. Newcastle
14. Fulham
15. Norwich
16. Cardiff
17. Stoke
18. Sunderland
19. Hull
20. Palace

Southampton 9th? Put down the crack pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom