• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
I hope the only surprise for them is that they come second bottom instead of bottom.

---

3 days until the new season. Booyah. 12,750 season tickets sold, exciting times.

---

I agree more or less with those ff2 predictions, especially on the top 4. Move Sunderland higher and put Stoke in the bottom 3. Can't see Villa getting that high either.

Good shit. Should be an exciting season for you guys, FourFourTwo - bastions of all that is good and holy and accurate - say 5th

sohois

Four Four Two's predictions:

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. United
4. Arsenal
5. Spurs
6. Liverpool
7. Swansea
8. West Ham
9. Southampton
10. Everton
11. Villa
12. West Brom
13. Newcastle
14. Fulham
15. Norwich
16. Cardiff
17. Stoke
18. Sunderland
19. Hull
20. Palace

Why are people even making predictions with a month left of transfers?

Shagwell

Hitcher's being a debbie downer. We've done good business this season by (so far), keeping our best players Agger, Suarez and Coutinho, we're adding depth to areas that need it with Aspas and Toure, we've upgraded on our goalkeeper with Mignolet, and we've upgraded our midfield backup with Luis Alberto.

There's still work to be done, but I think Liverpool are doing the best transfer business in the PL this year so far, though to be fair Spurs, City, Southampton and Norwich have all been progressive spenders.

Aye. Read on RAWK an article from TIA that said some pretty interesting stuff,

Martin Skrtel is on a reported £70,000 per week, yet he is not considered a starting player under Brendan Rodgers. The club would have been happy to sell the Slovakian this summer had the right offer arrived. So far it hasn’t, and thus they are happy to remove his wages and therefore free up a place within the squad. You can’t simply keep a player on 70 grand a week just to make up numbers – especially when you aren’t in Europe.

Similarly, Reina was on a reported £100,000 per week wage. Once the decision to sign Simon Mignolet – whether you agree with it or not – was made, it would have been absurd to pay a reserve keeper that amount – one of the highest earners at the club.

Another player to have left the club this summer, although under entirely different circumstances, is Jamie Carragher. The legendary defender was on a similar wage to Reina.

That’s over a quarter of a million pounds removed from the weekly wage bill already.

Another high value departure this summer has been Andy Carroll, on a reported £85,000 per week.

Add in the sale of Jonjo Shelvey, imminent departures of Ousamma Assaidi and Jay Spearing and you have a total of all those who have left the club this summer of around half a million pounds per week. Over £20m per year.

Next time you hear somebody moaning about loaning out Martin Skrtel, a player who started FOUR Premier League games since the turn of the year, think of the bigger picture.

Remember what owner John Henry wrote in his open letter to the fans almost a year ago:

"We will build and grow from within, buy prudently and cleverly and never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees and unrealistic wages. We have no fear of spending and competing with the very best but we will not overpay for players.

We will never place this club in the precarious position that we found it in when we took over at Anfield. This club should never again run up debts that threaten its existence."

That's a lot of money cut off the wage bill considering that we haven't really lost any talent.

GorillaJu

Lahm in midfield is a bad idea. Rafinha is taking over his role and is doing a disproportionate amount of work (relative to his ability). He's no Lahm, and what is Lahm doing? Jack shit from what I can see.

Bayern doing nothing with the ball at this point.

Lahm in midfield is a bad idea. Rafinha is taking over his role and is doing a disproportionate amount of work (relative to his ability). He's no Lahm, and what is Lahm doing? Jack shit from what I can see.

Bayern doing nothing with the ball at this point.

So its closer to Pep's last Barca than it is to his first?

Its a tragedy, what he did to his own team

fuenf

Pep is a football hipster who wants to do things no one else is doing.

4dueX.png

(quick google search)

Will Levy please get back to work and close on Soldado already! That's the domino that will spark the striker merry go round.

Not sure how. Valencia probably don;t have the money to buy a replacement from a club who will be the next domino. They should buy Ba or Torres at a cut price to replace him, and Chelsea would carry on without them.

Suen

man Donadoni's face expression doesn't look good. It's already saying "We'll finish 10th and lower in Serie A the coming season too"

Biabilol

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Will Levy please get back to work and close on Soldado already! That's the domino that will spark the striker merry go round.

The president of Valencia has said we've got him. Soldado's agent needs to be paid and then he will join us.

Aye. Read on RAWK an article from TIA that said some pretty interesting stuff,

That's a lot of money cut off the wage bill considering that we haven't really lost any talent.
Yeah, Liverpool has been run very well of late, and I've admired all their transfers in the calendar year 2013. Up there with City for best transfer work, but City's job is far easier with fewer constraints.

Swansea, Southampton, and Norwich continue to be shrewd and are hugely impressive for teams that were all in the Championship a couple of seasons ago or less. Players like Fer, Bony, or Wanyama could have gone to much bigger clubs.

Arnie

Yeah, Liverpool has been run very well of late, and I've admired all their transfers in the calendar year 2013. Up there with City for best transfer work, but City's job is far easier with fewer constraints.

Over the last 12 months we've pretty much consumed their entire scouting network.

I'm happy with the direction the club's moving.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...-Council-decision-regarding-Old-Trafford.aspx

Club statement on Old Trafford

Following Trafford Council’s decision regarding Asset of Community Value status on its Old Trafford stadium, the club has issued the following statement:

“The club has received the decision by Trafford Council. Old Trafford is, of course, a special place; it is the heart and soul of the club. The club obviously sees it the same way, which is why over the last eight years it has demonstrated its commitment to Old Trafford by spending around £90m upgrading its facilities and it will continue that investment in the future.

“We do have concerns that the legislation is not being applied correctly which could set a precedent throughout the country. Therefore, we have asked the council to follow the statutory review process to ensure the legislation is being applied as intended and we shall continue to keep open communication with the Council.”

More: View further club announcements

Jesus christ.

K1LLER7

Pepsi has been announced today as a new commercial partner in some parts of Asia.
We need players, Pepsi isn't going to help us win the CL. Unless they want to buy us a player as a gift lol.

Feel sorry for Arsenal fans. Even the Suarez links have stopped recently.

GQman2121

Banned
Not sure how. Valencia probably don;t have the money to buy a replacement from a club who will be the next domino. They should buy Ba or Torres at a cut price to replace him, and Chelsea would carry on without them.

They'll get a nice deal on Torres. We'll even deliver him in person when we likely meet each other in NYC on Sunday.

Then we wire Woody £40m for Rooney and prepare for the opener.

Salvadora

We need players, Pepsi isn't going to help us win the CL. Unless they want to buy us a player as a gift lol.

Ivan Gazidis: 'We (Arsenal) can do some things which would excite you, (but) what excites Arsene isn't necessarily what excites you."
Ivan the terrible tried to warn us all back in June.

fuenf

holy fuck, I think I'm actually burned out on football. the audi cup doesnt excite me at all, apart from a sarcastic comment here and there.

BBC Football website's mediocrity has accelerated over the last few weeks; headline articles based on back-page tabloid rumours. The thought that we effectively fund this sort of shoddy journalism is infuriating.

That would be because we've made our position clear, and Arsenal have listened instead of wasting their time having learned of the non-existence of the release clause, unlike another club I could name who are fruitlessly chasing a certain Catalan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom