• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

Spanish u/e is 25%.

Madrid spending €100m on a monkey.

Pulga, justify.

He's the next Xabi Alonso, I wouldn't say a monkey. Though tbf I don't think Xabi Alonso at any point in his career was worth even 40m, so how the next Alonso is worth 100m still confuses me..

edit
fk off Arnie. :(

Lightning

Banned
this is great news. suarez is a terrible human being and not a real hero.

wenger needs to give the defence and midfield top priority, anyway.
Oh yeah. Midfield and defence. Enjoy all the 0-0's next season followed by finishing 6th. Call us Everton while you're at it.

Salvadora

If Arsenal fail to sign anyone of note this summer and have another poor season, Arsene Wenger's position will be untenable. I suspect most the fans will want him gone by then
We need a director of football, urgently.

Keep Arsene focused on the squad and bring someone in who has a knowledge of the 21st century transfer market & negotiations.

The whole market has gone to shit thanks to oil clubs... no fucking way is any player worth 80+ million.
Yet no oil club has yet to spend 80mil on a player to my knowledge, so...

He's one of the only human beings who can't look cool in black and white.

Bagged himself a six page spread in Esquire and still looks like a complete gimp.
:lol I've not seen it as I wouldn't give a six page Gareth Bale article the time of day, but I can just imagine.

Maybe I'm just a dick, very possible. But I really can't have the guy. Which is daft because anything I've seen of him he comes across as a perfectly nice bloke. But the stupid levels of hype he gets whilst better players go virtually unnoticed really gets up my nose. And thus, quite irrationally, I dislike him.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh yeah. Midfield and defence. Enjoy all the 0-0's next season followed by finishing 6th. Call us Everton while you're at it.

And what is this argument hahahaha

Fucking hell.

Your entire team is shit. Strengthen it all.

Maybe I'm just a dick, very possible. But I really can't have the guy. Which is daft because anything I've seen of him he comes across as a perfectly nice bloke. But the stupid levels of hype he gets whilst better players go virtually unnoticed really gets up my nose. And thus, quite irrationally, I dislike him.

What better players do you speak of?

Arnie

Might go watch Only God Forgives on Friday.

I know it's gonna be shit, but it's Ryan Gosling punching stuff, so I lose a bit of perspective.

:lol I've not seen it as I wouldn't give a six page Gareth Bale article the time of day, but I can just imagine.

At work we have every magazine you could ever dream of just available to browse.

Some girl was fucking drooling over the Bale feature today.

Regarding your irrational hatred I share the same thing for Johnny Evans. That guy needs bottling.

bud

there is literally 0% chance of arsenal winning anything with a defence that consists of players like mertesacker and gibbs.

Keep Arsene focused on the squad and bring someone in who has a knowledge of the 21st century transfer market & negotiations.

Wenger is pretty much in control though, you'll never get a DoF because he won't want to give up the responsibility. Remember the stuff about Bould coming in, and the defence improved and then he and Wenger supposedly had an argument and he wasn't allowed to take training.
He wants to be the top dog, which is fine when you are successful but I think Wenger's time is almost up.

Showaddy

Yeah I suspect at the end of this transfer window Tottenham's best signing will have been Franco Baldini, our signings have improved dramatically since he took over.

Yen

Yet no oil club has yet to spend 80mil on a player to my knowledge, so...

Diving.
Trademarked a hand-gesture
Wants to be Ronaldo

Based on what?

United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs were much stronger last season. Now forget the first 3, you aren't touching them for a while.

Arsenal will strengthen, I have no doubt about it. Enough to be title contenders? No, probably not. Enough to finish above Liverpool? Yep.

Spurs? Assuming Soldado has gone through they've already made a couple of big signings. I expect more stability this year with AVB too, they might not have Bale to...ahem...bail them out any more but I suspect they won't need to. If Bale goes, yeah, massive loss. But they'll have 80M to play about with. Enough to comfortably finish above Liverpool I think. If he were to stay...then forget about finishing above them.

As for Liverpool, your signings so far have been alright, but I don't think the squad was strong enough anyway. Minolet is a good keeper, Toure will do a job. Alberto is very young and Aspas is meh. I don't doubt you'll sign more players but I don't think you have the money or the ability to attract to compete with the others. Not this season.

Oh, and your star striker is unsettled, he's going to miss the first 6 games (if I remember correctly) and would prefer a move to fucking Arsenal to secure CL football. Arsenal, of all places. He clearly doesn't have much confidence in your aspirations either. And If he stays, how long before his first big incident that takes him out of your squad again?

Don't get me wrong though, you started playing some lovely stuff at the end of last season. Destroyed us, for a start. 5th absolute tops for this season, but I can't see it. You'll make a very pretty 4th.

Zabojnik

This is the problem with our club.

And Suarez is deal is dead. I will be astounded if Arsenal do anything in regards to Suarez now. It will all be media bullshit.

That Jovetic to Arsenal deal you were so quick to snub is looking pretty good right now.

3pm here :D

I'll watch for Deulofeu magic.

Hopefully I can find a decent stream that'll run on this old PC I have here at work.

Bale wouldn't be worth 80+ mil. if clubs like City, PSG and Monaco weren't splashing 40-50 mil. on average players.

Spoken like a true Cedevita bro!

panty

Have you guys watched the new episodes of Whose Line is it Anyways?

Just found a site with all the episodes.

AWWW YYEAHHH

Yen

United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs were much stronger last season. Now forget the first 3, you aren't touching them for a while.

Arsenal will strengthen, I have no doubt about it. Enough to be title contenders? No, probably not. Enough to finish above Liverpool? Yep.

Spurs? Assuming Soldado has gone through they've already made a couple of big signings. I expect more stability this year with AVB too, they might not have Bale to...ahem...bail them out any more but I suspect they won't need to. If Bale goes, yeah, massive loss. But they'll have 80M to play about with. Enough to comfortably finish above Liverpool I think. If he were to stay...then forget about finishing above them.

As for Liverpool, your signings so far have been alright, but I don't think the squad was strong enough anyway. Minolet is a good keeper, Toure will do a job. Alberto is very young and Aspas is meh. I don't doubt you'll sign more players but I don't think you have the money or the ability to attract to compete with the others. Not this season.

Oh, and your star striker is unsettled, he's going to miss the first 6 games (if I remember correctly) and would prefer a move to fucking Arsenal to secure CL football. Arsenal, of all places. He clearly doesn't have much confidence in your aspirations either. And If he stays, how long before his first big incident that takes him out of your squad again?

Don't get me wrong though, you started playing some lovely stuff at the end of last season. Destroyed us, for a start. 5th absolute tops for this season, but I can't see it. You'll make a very pretty 4th.

How much of Aspas have you watched?

He did a lot of that in Place Beyond the Pines tbf :lol
Haven't seen it!

bud

Yep, there's Drive, this new one, and er hmm

he's also in the new malick film which, iirc, is going to be a more talkative affair.

i do think he's a good actor, though. his performances in half nelson and blue valentine for example are pretty great.

Salvadora

There's no reason why major clubs can't sign players in multiple positions. We shouldn't have to focus on the midfield or defence. Sign everyone, everywhere.
Wenger is pretty much in control though, you'll never get a DoF because he won't want to give up the responsibility. Remember the stuff about Bould coming in, and the defence improved and then he and Wenger supposedly had an argument and he wasn't allowed to take training.
He wants to be the top dog, which is fine when you are successful but I think Wenger's time is almost up.
Bouldie is the best thing to happen to Arsenal in years. He managed to get players who've looked incapable of defending... defending. I read about his training methods and was astounded that we didn't already do things like that.

I think Arsene has said in the past that he wouldn't mind a DoF, but we can see in practice that he wants 100% authority, even if it damages the club.

There's no reason why major clubs can't sign players in multiple positions. We shouldn't have to focus on the midfield or defence. Sign everyone, everywhere.
Bouldie is the best thing to happen to Arsenal in years. He managed to get players who've looked incapable of defending... defending. I read about his training methods and was astounded that we didn't already do things like that.

I think Arsene has said in the past that he wouldn't mind a DoF, but we can see in practice that he wants 100% authority, even if it damages the club.
Do you have a link to his training methods? Agree that he's very good at what he does.

3Sixty

Callum Chambers signs new 4 year deal.

Been a beast in pre season. If Clyne has another good season and moves on the a bigger club would be happy for this kid to step up Luke Shaw style.

BQhzhVwCQAAkbQg.jpg

Beardlo that's a chin strap.
KuGsj.gif

The beard is untouchable?

OMG

Pirlo wtf

hahahaha

FootballFan

He did a lot of that in Place Beyond the Pines tbf :lol

Place Beyond the Pines was good. Enjoyed it. Thought the quality dropped for the last third of the movie though.

he's also in the new malick film which, iirc, is going to be a more talkative affair.

i do think he's a good actor, though. his performances in half nelson and blue valentine for example are pretty great.

What about The Notebook. :'(

Salvadora

Do you have a link to his training methods? Agree that he's very good at what he does.
I haven't got a link to hand, but one of the examples was tieing the back four together with rope so they wouldn't get pulled out of position. We still looked haphazard at times last season, but the transformation was magical. Imagine him with a capable back four in his hands.

Wilbur

Banned
For 100m+ we should buy Messi instead of Bale. Let the pig heads fly.

Innit.

The fact that Madrid are willing to spend that much money on a player that will do the same job that they already have a player doing, sacrifice defensive work on the right and when taken into account the deals they've made already this summer positionally and financially, proves how much of a fucking colossal group of idiots they are.

How much of Aspas have you watched?

I heard he's scored 3 or 4 in pre-season which is obviously pretty good, I've seen bits and bobs of him. He seems alright. Nothing special. I don't think he'll be brilliant for you but whatever helps the goals go in I guess!

bud

i don't even know if you're joking, but... yes, i agree. he's good in that, too. and i agree with you on place beyond the pines. the third act wasn't as gripping as the rest of the film.

lars and the real girl is very sweet.

panty

Innit.

The fact that Madrid are willing to spend that much money on a player that will do the same job that they already have a player doing, sacrifice defensive work on the right and when taken into account the deals they've made already this summer positionally and financially, proves how much of a fucking colossal group of idiots they are.

If the worst happens Perez will personally pay off the debt :lol Wikipedia lists his personal worth at 1.9B. It would be so interesting to know more about the behind the scenes action that goes with the club.

L1NETT

Callum Chambers signs new 4 year deal.

Been a beast in pre season. If Clyne has another good season and moves on the a bigger club would be happy for this kid to step up Luke Shaw style.

Nice to still you are still pumping em out. All our best ones get nabbed at a really young age when the big prem clubs come snooping.

Widsom, Cleverley, Delph, George Green.

3Sixty

Nice to still you are still pumping em out. All our best ones get nabbed at a really young age when the big prem clubs come snooping.

Widsom, Cleverley, Delph, George Green.

Our location helps. With the rules of players living x distance from the club. Obviously in the midlands you have alot of options.

Then again half our catchment area is the ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom