• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Showaddy

What is actually the advantage of paying significant fees years after the transfer? It puts you up shit creek if you fall on hard times in the interim, and it must throw a spanner in the works if the player fails and you need to move them on. They'd still be paying 30m euros, regardless of staggered payments.

I guess the advantage is that the transfer pays for itself as he helps them finish in the money-making positions, but it could still go tits up. (I don't think it will, Soldado is awesome)

@Bacon, do one.

I suppose for a secure club like Tottenham who always run a tight ship but don't have huge wads of cash to throw about in one go it makes a lot of sense.

bobito

Banned
What is actually the advantage of paying significant fees years after the transfer? It puts you up shit creek if you fall on hard times in the interim, and it must throw a spanner in the works if the player fails and you need to move them on. They'd still be paying 30m euros, regardless of staggered payments.

I guess the advantage is that the transfer pays for itself as he helps them finish in the money-making positions, but it could still go tits up. (I don't think it will, Soldado is awesome)

@Bacon, do one.

Maintain working capital.

I suppose for a secure club like Tottenham who always run a tight ship but don't have huge wads of cash to throw about in one go it makes a lot of sense.

Good point.

Where exactly is their money going though if that's the case?

No stadium to pay off, no debt to pay off, big money coming in from transfers, relatively small wage bill, wage limit, big enough crowds, high enough league positions, players coming through self-sustaining (I assume) academy

iAfkAPdIF4mFy.gif

Showaddy

Good point.

No stadium to pay off, no debt to pay off, big money coming in from transfers, relatively small wage bill, wage limit, big enough crowds, high enough league positions, players coming through self-sustaining (I assume) academy

Well they're raising £400 million for their new stadium at the moment and though their wage bill isn't massive, it's still probably the 5th or 6th highest in the league.

Well they're raising £400 million for their new stadium at the moment and though their wage bill isn't massive, it's still probably the 5th or 6th highest in the league.

Forgot they were after a new stadium after all the Olympic Stadium nonsense. Is an expansion to WHL out of the question?

Good point.

It's a technical financial decision.

Businesses need liquidity, especially football clubs, they like to ensure they have money to hand. Paying transfer in instalments means they can hold more cash, they use that cash to pay their staff, pay for unforeseen costs and to grow the business in general.

Valencia will get their money eventually, Spurs will have marked out the outstanding amount they owe on the balance sheet. But by holding on to an extra €18 over the next few months (then €12m for the next year and so on) they can help their business in ways they otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Zabojnik

Di Marzio is saying we made contact with Kondogbia's "entourage" and are ready to bid for him, in the unlikely event that something goes wrong and he doesn't sign for Madrid by the end of the week. Madridistas, what the word on the street regarding Pogba 2?

Meier

Nah. Ronaldo had won a Ballon d'Or by now, won leagues and CLs and done shit at Euros and World Cups

Not even close. Probably not even 50%.

Yeah, you guys are right. Ronaldo was certainly farther along in his career but he's become immensely more popular since the move. The Ronaldo v Messi battle has only helped him in that regard.

But every year, worldwide recognition is easier to attain due to changing media landscapes.

Yeah, you guys are right. Ronaldo was certainly farther along in his career but he's become immensely more popular since the move. The Ronaldo v Messi battle has only helped him in that regard.

But every year, worldwide recognition is easier to attain due to changing media landscapes. It's a lot easier for an athlete to get worldwide acclaim.

Bale is getting there, no doubt, the TImes Sq. poster is an example.

But Ronaldo was the biggest football star at the time. Bale might not even get to that stage in his entire career, simply because there are at least 2 bigger stars than him already in La Liga.

In terms of increasing his stardom, staying in the PL would be smarter for him. Obviously that is totally secondary in his mind, rightly so.

Messi

I don't know why I don't like Van Persie. :( . At Arsenal he felt like a hero to them, now he feels like just another name at united. I feel the same way about Torres. He felt like a hero to liverpool and then he moved. Now he is just another name.

It makes no sense.

K1LLER7

But every year, worldwide recognition is easier to attain due to changing media landscapes.

If Bale moves there, I think we'll start to see talk of Bale vs Neymar. He'll start to get recognition.

The main focus will still be on Ronaldo vs Messi.

Also, the world record fee will also mean he'll have that extra attention from people. Expect to see him getting criticised if he doesn't have a strong start.

Turok_TTZ

Di Marzio is saying we made contact with Kondogbia's "entourage" and are ready to bid for him, in the unlikely event that something goes wrong and he doesn't sign for Madrid by the end of the week. Madridistas, what the word on the street regarding Pogba 2?

Kondogbia is no Pogba 2. He is a physical dm/b2b mid. in any case, as far as I am aware. We reportedly had a pre-agreement with him already. I will update on this when I bother to check.

Also on Cadena ser radio, Benitez has confirmed Napoli interest in Coentrao and Arbeloa.

Chipotle

Just by being the most expensive footballer ever he'd get a load more recognition and become more marketable I think. Obviously not the same as Ronaldo when he moved but it'l make a huge difference.

How good is Everton's Ross Barkley? Been hearing good things about him.

He was a bit of a victim to early hype. He was in the Everton team for a while when he was like 17 years old and the media built him up too much, then completely forgot about him when he was back in the reserves, as though he'd failed. Should be back in the Everton team on a regular basis next season, seems very good technically but a bit raw and understandably reluctant to impose himself on games, sometimes leaving him on the periphary.

Bulletstorm is pretty good

just so you know, back in 2009 when flo returned to madrid, he payed exactly 53 million euros to register his intention. the other candidates at the time were disqualified because they failed to provide the minimum fee as flo had done. was quite publicized at the time because everyone was wary of flo's return due to his previous tenure.

@Salvadora, financially speaking he has done well, hell we make more money than any other team and that is all due to flo's business acumen. Our debt is being handled and is dropping in a steady secure rate. so not concerned.

He didn't pay anything, he just presented a guarantee or endorsement (aval in spanish) basically saying "I can pay 53 million euros if the clubs needs it because I have the money to do so". You think that if people keep paying €50 million euros Madrid would have any problem in money...

If he had no competition this year is because he made some nasty changes to the requirements to present this guarantee.

Zabojnik

He's the most exciting Everton prospect since Tony Hibbert.

Well alright then.

He was a bit of a victim to early hype. He was in the Everton team for a while when he was like 17 years old and the media built him up too much, then completely forgot about him when he was back in the reserves, as though he'd failed. Should be back in the Everton team on a regular basis next season, seems very good technically but a bit raw and understandably reluctant to impose himself on games, sometimes leaving him on the periphary.

Thanks!

FootballFan

I agree. this is probably the one player flo made a mistake in going for.
I do not see Gareth bale paying off his fee like kaka, benz, and cr7 has.
he is a big player for sure but he is not THAT big. he isn't even anywhere near Nerman in terms of marketability.

....no one is.

Messi

I agree. this is probably the one player flo made a mistake in going for.
I do not see Gareth bale paying off his fee like kaka, benz, and cr7 has.
he is a big player for sure but he is not THAT big. he isn't even anywhere near Nerman in terms of marketability.

I hope this is on purpose as I am dying from laughing here.

I was just looking for an olivia wilde gif and I seen a game of thrones spoiler :( I didn't even use the gif.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Oh shi, Pacific Rim sequel likely... I don't know if my body is ready for more hot mecha action.

Is madrid waiting to buy Falcao in january or something? What's up with them being more preoccupied in spending 100 mill on another winger, instead of buying a striker?

This whole Bale saga is ridiculous, but at least entertaining.

£86M and Morata is unbelievable. Madrid will probably go for it too.

So sad to see this happen. When football business works this way, it's hard for powers to ever change hands. Clubs like Tottenham have little chance, when they can't hold on to their stars and then can't buy top talent.

Because that's what will happen, Tottenham won't be able to compensate because they simply won't attract the quality needed. Who can they buy? Suarez?

They have put forward the left-back Fábio Coentrão and the winger Angel di María, whose values they have variously factored into the potential package, but Tottenham maintain that the deal will be on their terms, meaning that they choose any makeweights and the one that they want is Morata.

Doesn't make any sense. Di Maria would be awesome for Tottenham, and would better replace Bale. Morata is out of nowhere, they are buying Soldado for 30.

Meier

Speaking of MLS, it's looking more and more like Orlando City will be announced soon. Team is meeting with the City Council and some Tourism Development Board next week to get the necessary chunk of funding from the City to build the stadium that's required to become a franchise. :D

GorillaJu

Speaking of MLS, it's looking more and more like Orlando City will be announced soon. Team is meeting with the City Council and some Tourism Development Board next week to get the necessary chunk of funding from the City to build the stadium that's required to become a franchise. :D

Another front for Abu Dhabi to launder their reputation.

Turok_TTZ

I hope this is on purpose as I am dying from laughing here.
I browse various football forums, and there came a topic in a particular forum about Nigerians/congo/etc (or so it was titled) peeps commenting in goal.com articles related to nerman. and this one particular person who commented about neymar barely commented readable english. the way his english was so funny/broken as hell and the best part was him calling neymar "nerman" and that forum was sent reeling in laughter. Ever since, I have called neymar, "Nerman". If you check my previous posts, you can see anytime I mention neymar, I always call him "Nerman".

I hope Morata stays at madrid and bale stays at spurs
You and I share the same sentiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom