• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

Where did Moyes learn how to pick and negotiate transfers, Football Manager?

edit: sans negotiate

Okore mentioned on twitter he plays football manager.

BPE2HcVCQAASHYI.jpg

Meier

onDaERB.jpg

Incredible.
That's brilliant.

Why don't people in the UK just add AC at this point? What is preventing it? People in Chicago don't necessarily have central AC so they buy window units -- at a minimum, why do people not have those available? This isn't the first hot summer..at this point it seems bizarre to me.

That's brilliant.

Why don't people in the UK just add AC at this point? What is preventing it? People in Chicago don't necessarily have central AC so they buy window units -- at a minimum, why do people not have those available? This isn't the first hot summer..at this point it seems bizarre to me.

Window units are still not compatible with most homes, it would be a hassle to say the least.

And you still wouldn't use it that often. In this heat we have at the moment you can easily use a fan and that gets you by.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal and United are embarrassing themselves in this transfer window. Almost August now and both have done fuck all in strengthening their squads and players linked are not coming.

AC uses a lot of electricity. And the unit itself if a waste of money when you're using it for like 2 weeks a year and your home isn't set up for it to be effective.

Meier

Window units are still not compatible with most homes, it would be a hassle to say the least.

And you still wouldn't use it that often. In this heat we have at the moment you can easily use a fan and that gets you by.
I don't understand? Every window should be compatible. They come with a little sliding bit that makes the width irrelevant.

1341745_orig.jpg

My first apartment in Chicago didn't have AC so we had to buy one when we moved there. It's kind of a hassle but it was necessary. They only cool off one room typically so you have to be choosy but it's better than nothing.

Even if you didn't use it often, it's better than not being prepared.

pappe

U can use split AC's they are compatible with any home. Temps here touch 40's. But my room is always arnd 25 with ac switched off. 18 when on which is pretty cool for me.

Salvadora

Arsenal and United are embarrassing themselves in this transfer window. Almost August now and both have done fuck all in strengthening their squads and players linked are not coming.

United are the City of last year. Winning the league, yet not strengthening and thus failing.

Arsenal are just... lol. I should have seen this coming, I was a fool for having hope.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
DOOM still the GOAT, I think I replay this game almost yearly. <3 the Brutal DOOM mod, should've waited for the newest version of the mod though.

Lightning

Banned
United are the City of last year. Winning the league, yet not strengthening and thus failing.

Arsenal are just... lol. I should have seen this coming, I was a fool for having hope.
We've sold our entire bench. What do we do now when Walcott gets injured? How about a Giroud injury? Cazorla injury?

If we start the season like this we will be lucky to finish 6th. Wenger is blinded by how we finished last season and sees quality when their is barely any.

kharma45

I don't understand? Every window should be compatible. They come with a little sliding bit that makes the width irrelevant.

1341745_orig.jpg

My first apartment in Chicago didn't have AC so we had to buy one when we moved there. It's kind of a hassle but it was necessary. They only cool off one room typically so you have to be choosy but it's better than nothing.

Even if you didn't use it often, it's better than not being prepared.

Windows in most houses here look nowt like that.

A few hundred £ and 20 minutes getting it set up every summer (as needed) seems like a worthwhile purchase to me.

A few hundred pounds to be used for a few weeks every 4-5 years is a waste of money. This is freak weather, where I live our average summer temperature is usually around 17-18 not 29-30 degrees.

A few American posters in that air conditioning thread have outed themselves as being rather ignorant.

Saying a few is being very light.

LTWheels

Because it's unbearably hot once every 6/7 years for 1-2 weeks. No one has air con. There is no viable market to sell residential air con. Thus shops don't sell it. A waste of money, and why would you want to install an ugly box to your window if it's never going to be used.

For the last 2 weeks I had windows open, blinds and curtains shut all day. Has helped a bit with the heat.

Houses very rarely have slide up windows.

Why do you say that?
I just read through some threads in the OT and find myself shaking my head. So many times I'm not sure if people are trying to be funny or something.

A few hundred £ and 20 minutes getting it set up every summer (as needed) seems like a worthwhile purchase to me.

A few hundred £ is alot when it's a complete luxury. As I said...a fan is more than good enough for this heat. The last time we had a summer like this was probably 2/3 years ago too.

People aren't struggling with this heat in their homes. It's because they're either not drinking water or because they're going outside and not taking the required precautions. Add to the fact most of the people suffering are the elderly. That thread was just a mass of misinformation.

Slizz

Air circulator > fan.

This thing is amazing in my garage with no insulation and its hot as hell out:

jav2j1M.jpg

Comes in various sizes and lasts forever. Pretty sure the one I use is a good 10 years older than me.

Salvadora

There's more than a month for Arsenal and any other team to buy players still...
The 29th is when the club will be back to work in the western world (at the very least). In Wenger's own words we are "nowhere near a signing".

The next season starts on the 17th and like Lightning said, what happens if Giroud gets an injury? Or Cazorla, or hell, pretty much anyone due to our lack of depth. We can't conjure players out of nowhere. It weakens our negotiating position when clubs see how desperate we are too.

And don't even get me started on the players who will have already been sold/are unavailable before we get to work. Can't sign Higuain if he's already in Napoli. Or a top striker if there are none left.
We've sold our entire bench. What do we do now when Walcott gets injured? How about a Giroud injury? Cazorla injury?

If we start the season like this we will be lucky to finish 6th. Wenger is blinded by how we finished last season and sees quality when their is barely any.
Lightning, it simply isn't possible to sign the amount of players that we need to make up for the losses. Forget about challenging for a cup or the title, we'll be lucky to compete at this rate.

If the transfer window continues like this the fans should be out on the streets. We're being swindled more than United under the Glazers.

Meier

Because it's unbearably hot once every 6/7 years for 1-2 weeks. No one has air con. There is no viable market to sell residential air con. Thus shops don't sell it. A waste of money, and why would you want to install an ugly box to your window if it's never going to be used.

For the last 2 weeks I had windows open, blinds and curtains shut all day. Has helped a bit with the heat.

Houses very rarely have slide up windows.
It's not permanent. People in places like Chicago for instance often take it out after the summer is over since they don't want to have snow buildup on it and you can only insulate it so well.

Interesting to hear about the windows not sliding up. How are they built then? They open out I guess? I'm sure that a window unit is sold that works for windows of that variety. I don't really understand not being prepared for the worst personally.

With that being said, my mom was very cheap when I was a kid and didn't use the AC most of the time even in FL where it's routinely near 40 C. She put a big fan in the hallway and pointed it at the ceiling so it blew fresh air down the hall and into the open bedroom doors at night.

Air circulator > fan.

This thing is amazing in my garage with no insulation and its hot as hell out:

http://i.imgur.com/jav2j1M.jpg[IMG]

Comes in various sizes and lasts forever. Pretty sure the one I use is a good 10 years older than me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, this is what we'd use when I was a kid. She'd turn that fucker on blast and point it on angle up towards the ceiling. It definitely helped although I hated the fact she wouldn't use the AC.

I don't really understand not being prepared for the worst personally.

Because it's not that bad that a fan isn't usually more than enough... and for the people it isn't enough for is old ass people who dies by you sneezing at their general direction. There's nothing much to be prepared for lol

Slizz

Yeah, this is what we'd use when I was a kid. She'd turn that fucker on blast and point it on angle up towards the ceiling. It definitely helped although I hated the fact she wouldn't use the AC.

Lol, this specific brand must be everywhere in Florida. Had one of these in my gym locker room at middle school, high school, my house.

Love that it says "Air Circulator" on it instead of just fan.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
50/50 chance between Luis Enrique and El Tata Martino.

Anouncement tomorrow. Our first friendly is against Bayern lulz, we are gonna get our ass kicked.

kharma45

It's not permanent. People in places like Chicago for instance often take it out after the summer is over since they don't want to have snow buildup on it and you can only insulate it so well.

Interesting to hear about the windows not sliding up. How are they built then? They open out I guess? I'm sure that a window unit is sold that works for windows of that variety. I don't really understand not being prepared for the worst personally.

With that being said, my mom was very cheap when I was a kid and didn't use the AC most of the time even in FL where it's routinely near 40 C. She put a big fan in the hallway and pointed it at the ceiling so it blew fresh air down the hall and into the open bedroom doors at night.

Most are like these styles

There is just no market for AC in homes, few places sell them and few places would be able to repair/service them. We've no need for it bar these freak events of a few weeks every few years (at most) and it's hundreds of pounds people don't need to spend, and nor are they all that cheap to run I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom